HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

vCash: 500
We are a good PF away from being a top 5 team in the east in my opinion.

Amnesty Kleiza
Trade Bargnani and Anderson and whatever else for Derrick Favors.

-------------------

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Favors
Valanciunas

PG/Lucas
Ross
Fields
Amir
Gray

Old
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post

One of RealGM's classic gems.
This is hilarious

02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
DD03
3D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post

Amnesty Kleiza

-------------------

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Favors
Valanciunas

PG/Lucas
Ross
Fields
Amir
Gray
Take a lot more then that for Favors.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah I'll be the first to admit I don't understand the NBA cap rules anywhere near I do the NHL ones. I haven't worked the numbers but I do recall that post (not sure of the accuracy though).

Are we going to have a mid-level exception coming our way? Also BC has repeatedly said ownership is willing to be a luxury tax team... does this not give us options?

I find it hard to believe BC would have handicapped himself this much that he has left us with no options to add a significant piece.... but at the same time I would not be surprised. BC has misstepped time and again with this team.
The post was mine, and I re-cheked the #s. Right now, the Raptors have about $74m in total potential contract obligations, and roughly $57-58m in guaranteed money due next year (my own math is $1m exactly off of Hoopsworld's total. I'm not sure exactly why). But that total only happens if none of the players who have options or non-guaranteed contracts for next season come back, which is unlikely. Lowry won't be bought out of the $6.2m of guaranteed money he's owed next season. That's a gimme. Aaron Gray will probably also pick up his $2.6m player option. Kleiza would probably take his $4.6m player option too if he doesn't get amnestied.

But lets take the $74m starting point and do the following:
-amnesty kleiza
-buy out Haddadi (I don't know how buyouts count against the cap, but let's assume the impact is negligible for simplicity's sake)
-Trade Bargnani and Fields for nothing of contractual value in return (at the same time or separately is irrelevant to this)
-Let's also assume the Raptors miss the playoffs, forfeit their 1st rounder to the Thunder, and don't acquire another 2013 1st before the draft, so that there are no cap holds for signing 1st round picks in play.

The total cap commitment for hte Raptors next season would now be approximately $51.3 million. Presuming the cap stays around its $58m level from the past several years, that's still just under $7 million. More than I initially estimated, but still not enough for any significant impact FA. Especially when you also would only have 9 players under contract at that point, and gaping holes to fill at PG, SF, and PF.

More realistically too, the team wouldn't be trading Fields, and if that's the case, then the Raptors are pretty much butting right up against the cap.

For the other items: The mid-level exception is, IIRC, usually somewhere in the neighborhood of like $5m. That's not getting you an elite player.

and the luxury tax only comes into play for the very specific situations in which you're allowed to exceed the cap (re-signing your own players who have Bird rights, marginal bumps up in salary due to the the flexibility in traded contract allowances, players acquired using traded player exceptions, guys signed to minimum contracts) Signing a FA straight-up to a regular old contract offers up no ways to get around the soft cap limit.

And while I have problems with how the lack of cap space affects the team's depth moving forward, and I wasn't a big fan of the Gay trade in terms of giving up Davis and taking on his gigantic (overpaid) salary, I can't fault Colangelo for going this round for a star/impact player. Cap space or not, no marquee guys ever sign in Toronto. The most marquee name we've ever had out of a FA class was Turkoglu, and even that took a ridiculous overpayment to get done (and we regretted it). If the Raptors were going to get a noteworthy name player, it was going to be via trade. Josh Smith is not signing with the Raptors (nevermind that he wants a max contract, which is nuts). Jefferson or Millsap are not signing with the Raptors either. We almost never are able to sign guys who are in demand on the FA market.

oh, and for the interested, salary data comes from here: http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
Old
02-04-2013, 02:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post

Amnesty Kleiza

-------------------

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Favors
Valanciunas

PG/Lucas
Ross
Fields
Amir
Gray
the Jazz are almost certainly keeping Favors over Millsap and/or Jefferson, so it's going to take a lot more than the minimal value of Bargs and Chuckerson (kudos to whoever came up with that name, btw ) to even get Utah's interest.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
DD03
3D

Nemesis, any guys you'd want as a back up PG? I'm thinking if maybe we could trade Chuckerson as you called him, but I'm not sure what PG we'd be interested in. I'd LOVE to get our hands on Andre Miller. I've wanted him for years and love him as a PG. But I doubt we could land him.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Gimme your # gurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Nemesis, any guys you'd want as a back up PG? I'm thinking if maybe we could trade Chuckerson as you called him, but I'm not sure what PG we'd be interested in. I'd LOVE to get our hands on Andre Miller. I've wanted him for years and love him as a PG. But I doubt we could land him.
What about Barea?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
What about Barea?
Ya him, Ridnour or Sessions is who I'd go for. Pass on Miller, he is done.

Or resign Jose to MLE or vet. min in the off-season.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
DD03
3D

Quote:
Ya him or Sessions is who I'd go for. Pass on Miller he is done.

Or resign Jose to MLE or vet. min in the off-season.
Yeah I know Miller is done, he's just a leader and a really good pass first PG.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

heard gay had a career high...good for him, you think he'll keep this up?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
I'm not sure of how to make the trade work but I really think Gasol is perfect for this team. I understand he is 32 but he can still play and he can move back to Center here with Amir at the 4. He would be a great veteran for our young team and a good influence on Valanciunas' development. Also, his passing skills would be a great addition to compliment our athletic guards.
I might take a flyer on Gasol, but he is playing his way out of trade talks, or playing his way to bigger return that we won't be able to afford.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The post was mine, and I re-cheked the #s....
You're right on the money here Nemesis. And even then it would be foolish to think we could dump Bargs and Fields for nothing, Fields is probably untradeable. Bargs will be in a deal where we would have to take back an undesirable contract, not as bad as his but something another team would want to get rid of.

One thing as well, the new CBA now prohibits teams over the cap from making sign and trades effective this summer. Brooklyn could trade for Dwight last year but this year they can't sign him outright or be involved in a sign and trade because they are over the cap.

Like it or not, this is the team we probably have to go with. MLE is 5 million or so, and you're not signing JSmoove or Milsap with that. And I think a good player worth the MLE might prefer to sign with a contender for the MLE ahead of us IE Crawford signing with the Clips for the MLE last summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
career high in what?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
In points? He got a career high 41 pts three or four years ago.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

my bad, i meant career high as a rap

Old
02-04-2013, 03:01 PM
DD03
3D

Quote:
Not hard only his second game.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Not hard only his second game.
so will he have around 20 points a game you think as a rap?

Old
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

It seems pretty reasonable. He was turning into the 3rd option in Memphis, and now he's the #1 option here. If he keeps draining at like a 45/35/80 clip he should get 20 a game.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

I think Gay will easily average more than 20 PPG. I'd say around 22-24 if he remains the go-to guy for us.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
thatshype

Yea, Gay is pretty much getting all of the offensive chances he wants. He will definitely be putting up better numbers here than he did in Memphis.

And lol at trading Bargnani for Favors. Favors is considered the future of Utah's frontcourt.
.he's basically their version of what Val means to us (but further along in development)

Old
02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
He had a season high not a career high.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Gimme your # gurl

Quote:
He had a season high not a career high.

29 actually is his career high as a Raptor, which is what LR is saying. I'm gonna guess 21.5 PPG for Gay [for the Raps, not season average].

Old
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
29 actually is his career high as a Raptor, which is what LR is saying. I'm gonna guess 21.5 PPG for Gay [for the Raps, not season average].
Yup, but they mentioned that his 29 points was his season high INCLUDING the Grizzlies. I think that's what LR meant.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Gimme your # gurl

Attachment 60847

This one had me rolling on the floor

Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 09-14-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
marquee

Quote:
Yup, but they mentioned that his 29 points was his season high INCLUDING the Grizzlies. I think that's what LR meant.
Demar is just a horrible sidekick to gay. They really need to scale back demar's role and have him as a 3rd option. Tired of him trying to take guys off the bounce and picking up his dribble baseline wise he pass nobody or create for himself. I don't buy into that raptor propaganda so I see that bargnani would only benefit this roster. Need somebody to draw defenders out the paint for gay as demar does the opposite. Also Lowry is clearly playing hurt and that's killing us right now.

Chuckerson? At least he plays defense and brings infatuation well never see from our starting sg. I could deal with demar's weaknesses if he could play defense but he likes to out no effort there can't blame him with that lateral quickness. Anyways Anderson provides that secondary ball handler to Lowry as he's the only wing player we have who can handle the rock. Also his 3 pt shooting is much needed, not his fault that before gay he was the only guy who cud create his own shot. He's a glue guy who only helps this team.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
Demar is just a horrible sidekick to gay. They really need to scale back demar's role and have him as a 3rd option. Tired of him trying to take guys off the bounce and picking up his dribble baseline wise he pass nobody or create for himself. I don't buy into that raptor propaganda so I see that bargnani would only benefit this roster. Need somebody to draw defenders out the paint for gay as demar does the opposite. Also Lowry is clearly playing hurt and that's killing us right now.

Chuckerson? At least he plays defense and brings infatuation well never see from our starting sg. I could deal with demar's weaknesses if he could play defense but he likes to out no effort there can't blame him with that lateral quickness. Anyways Anderson provides that secondary ball handler to Lowry as he's the only wing player we have who can handle the rock. Also his 3 pt shooting is much needed, not his fault that before gay he was the only guy who cud create his own shot. He's a glue guy who only helps this team.
I disagree with almost everything you say here.

Demar looked phenomenal next to Gay on Sunday. I thought they wouldn't compliment each other well, but he did everything right, shot efficiently, and went 14-14 from the FT line. When he's going to the FT line 14 times, then that tells you he's slashing and creating offense aggressively, not picking up his dribble as you say.

Bargnani has shown us nothing promising this year, although I would love for him to prove otherwise.

Lowry also looks great with Gay. He make not be as good as Jose at the pick and roll, but he is SOOOO much better as an all around PG. He rebounds, he goes hard to the paint, draws fouls, defends, and plays scrappy basketball. He was also great on Sunday.

Anderson is just trash. The guy wears #6 and thinks he's Lebron. He does nothing efficiently, chucks up WAY too many bad shots, and scores at a bad clip. He should not be taking that many shots. Him and Lucas cost us the game on Sunday, but he has looked bad for longer than that. I would rather see Fields and even Kleiza get more time at the 3 than Anderson. He is not at all a glue or a team guy, he is all about himself, his points, and his bad shots. Also, Gay did a much better job defending than Anderson on Sunday. Gay is overall a much better defender too.

Closed Thread