HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
What happened to Sammy, he was a good upcoming center a few years back and then seemed to have been traded a ton lately. Remember when he was our best player in FIBA play?
He might still be....

Old
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Buckleys

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...elf_kelly.html

Thought this might generate some discussion.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
He might still be....
Hopefully not for long, though. I'm happy Dalembert had a huge night but he's not a marquee player at all, and it'll be good for Team Canada to start getting the new generation some minutes in FIBA. I hope Nicholson, Thompson, Cory Joseph, and others can commit to the team long-term. Keep Dalembert around as a veteran, but in the best interest of the team`s future it`d be great to start building a team game BEFORE guys like Wiggins and Kabongo join us later.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Hopefully not for long, though. I'm happy Dalembert had a huge night but he's not a marquee player at all, and it'll be good for Team Canada to start getting the new generation some minutes in FIBA. I hope Nicholson, Thompson, Cory Joseph, and others can commit to the team long-term. Keep Dalembert around as a veteran, but in the best interest of the team`s future it`d be great to start building a team game BEFORE guys like Wiggins and Kabongo join us later.
None of them supply the position Dalembert fills.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
True, but what I mean is that hopefully we're getting to the point where we aren't excited about whether or not Dalembert plays for us. Within the past few years Dalembert was the only NBA-talent we had other than *cough* Andy Rautins, and it looks like in the next few years we're going to have multiple players that fill that hype.

Dalembert will likely get invites to Team Canada until he retires...just like Jamal Magloire got. What I'm saying is that within the next few years it looks like we're going to have much more significant invites, and whether or not Dalembert accepts won't be as important.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
In international play, you could easily roll a 4-5 combo of Nicholson-Thompson. FIBA is much more small ball and overall less strength required than the NBA. Thompson could hold it down for Canada the way Amir Johnson does for the Raptors at C, and would generally be facing much weaker competition.

Plus, there's always Joel Anthony too.

Canada basketball is going to be a powerhouse by 2016.

Joseph, Kabongo, Thompson, Nicholson, Bennett, Wiggins, Dalembert, Anthony, Sacre, Stauskas, Kadugon, are just some of the talented names off the top of my head. And who knows what other first round Canadian NBA talent may emerge 2014 and beyond that we haven't heard much about yet. The days of Canada missing out on the Olympics are over. I expect a medal in 2016.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
There's some giant that was on the CIA Bounce u17 team but I'm forgetting his name.

There's also a 15 year old, forgetting his name all of a sudden too, who is already a 6'7 PF or something along those lines and has the potential to be a top calibre PF/C.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
In international play, you could easily roll a 4-5 combo of Nicholson-Thompson. FIBA is much more small ball and overall less strength required than the NBA. Thompson could hold it down for Canada the way Amir Johnson does for the Raptors at C, and would generally be facing much weaker competition.

Joseph, Kabongo, Thompson, Nicholson, Bennett, Wiggins, Dalembert, Anthony, Sacre, Stauskas, Kadugon, are just some of the talented names off the top of my head. And who knows what other first round Canadian NBA talent may emerge 2014 and beyond that we haven't heard much about yet. The days of Canada missing out on the Olympics are over. I expect a medal in 2016.
I wouldn't say power house. It takes a while for a National team to build chemistry and become elite. A medal by 2016 might be asking for too much, we should aim for getting into the top 10 first.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I wouldn't say power house. It takes a while for a National team to build chemistry and become elite. A medal by 2016 might be asking for too much, we should aim for getting into the top 10 first.
Screw that. Gold or bust, baby!

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Screw that. Gold or bust, baby!
Lol.

Its actually kind of funny how it took this long to start to see the residual effect of having an NBA team in Toronto. (or Van I guess too if you were a big Abdur Rahim guy )

All the kids who had their mind blown by VC in the early 2000's focused on basketball. It would be nice to have the national depth that some country's like Spain and Greece have.

There really is no reason why shouldn't be competing for #2 in the world.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post

Haha, yea, let's not say powerhouse. They have potential to be competitive, and when it gets closer to the 2016 we can see who's committed. USA will always be USA...and Spain will always be Spain. Let's just be patient and see who commits to the team longterm, and let's also wait and see how good Kabongo and Wiggins and Bennett actually are against NBA competition.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:03 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Bargnani might return tonight...

I hope he does amazing, so he can boost his trade stock

Old
02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
Bargnani might return tonight...

I hope he does amazing, so he can boost his trade stock
Blowout loss for the Raps, then.

It sucks that we don't have Davis to force Bargnani to the bench, but here's hoping Amir plays PF and Val starts at C.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Haha, yea, let's not say powerhouse. They have potential to be competitive, and when it gets closer to the 2016 we can see who's committed. USA will always be USA...and Spain will always be Spain. Let's just be patient and see who commits to the team longterm, and let's also wait and see how good Kabongo and Wiggins and Bennett actually are against NBA competition.
By 2016 I expect Canada to have more players in the NBA than any other country, with the exception of the USA. With that kind of talent, we should by all means become a powerhouse. That's even if Wiggins only lives up to half his hype.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...elf_kelly.html

Thought this might generate some discussion.
Hate to be a killjoy but he'll have like probably 2 good games and then resort back to be a soft, lazy, tryhard.

He's had 7 years to prove himself he's past being a project he is what he is. GM's know that now.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Hate to be a killjoy but he'll have like probably 2 good games and then resort back to be a soft, lazy, tryhard.

He's had 7 years to prove himself he's past being a project he is what he is. GM's know that now.
Oh I agree, just thought it would generate some decent discussion.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Lol.

Its actually kind of funny how it took this long to start to see the residual effect of having an NBA team in Toronto. (or Van I guess too if you were a big Abdur Rahim guy )

All the kids who had their mind blown by VC in the early 2000's focused on basketball. It would be nice to have the national depth that some country's like Spain and Greece have.

There really is no reason why shouldn't be competing for #2 in the world.
Hey now. Hey. Watch it. I was a big Abdur-Rahim guy. His Grizzlies jersey was the first sports jersey I ever owned (although, full disclosure, "owned" means "I was in grade 6 and my parents bought it for me for my birthday" ). I can't find it right now, but I actually still have it somewhere.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Hey now. Hey. Watch it. I was a big Abdur-Rahim guy. His Grizzlies jersey was the first sports jersey I ever owned (although, full disclosure, "owned" means "I was in grade 6 and my parents bought it for me for my birthday" ). I can't find it right now, but I actually still have it somewhere.
I remember when we used to worry if Bosh was just an Abdur type, guy who puts up big numbers on crappy teams.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Really? I figured you more for a "Big Country" Bryant Reeves type a guy..

Old
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Really? I figured you more for a "Big Country" Bryant Reeves type a guy..

Ugh, don't remind me of him.

EDIT: Huh, I actually went through my closet twice and i can't find that Grizzlies jersey. Hope it didn't get lost/thrown out accidentally.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:43 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

There's something so satisfying about watching the Lakers fall apart like they are.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
There's something so satisfying about watching the Lakers fall apart like they are.
I still like the lakers

Watching this game.

02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
I have to agree on this. Or maybe it's just Kobe that I hate. Either way, I'm quite pleased with how the Lakers season has gone so far.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Suntouchable13

I might actually grow to like seeing Andrea coming off the bench. Whenever Gay and DD need a break, you still have Il Mago.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Eytinge

Bargs rebuilding his trade value.

Closed Thread