HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings

Old
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Seems like you could've just watched the youtube posted earlier that had the actual show.

10 NHL scouts polled before the WJC, 7 scouts liked MacKinnon 1st and 3 scouts liked Jones 1st. After the WJC, 7 scouts liked Jones 1st and 3 scouts like MacKinnon 1st. So the WJC obviously is a factor...that should be pretty obvious I thought. Players rise and fall over the course of a season. If the draft happened in February instead of June then it would look completely different.

Even though the WJC is important...it definitely isn't everything to those who actually matter. I guess those who pick Jones over MacKinnon because the WJC would also not even consider Ryan Nugent Hopkins in the top 10 for 2011 because he was cut from Team Canada. Good thing the NHL scouts took the whole year into consideration I guess, huh? Prospects stocks will be inflated after the WJC but that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

And saying that Jones has a huge advantage over MacKinnon just isn't a good analysis IMO and the 10 NHL scouts McKenzie talked to agree with me.

Again, if you watched the video you'd see McKenzie say something like "7 to 3 in favor of Jones may look lopsided, but it's NOT, because EVERY scout goes to the point of saying hey there is a tiny difference between these two guys...it could be positional at the end...you need a defenseman, take Jones and you need a center, take MacKinnon".

So it must be that a couple of the HFBoards posters have it all figured out and have noticed a big difference between Jones and MacKinnon that he paid professional NHL scouts and most hockey fans have yet to see.
He explained that it's not just because of the WJC. None of his scouts penalized MacKinnon for a poor WJC, but they're not going to ignore Jones' acocmplishments either.

And the thing is, we know that 3 of the scouts who picked Jones did not think it was "just a minor difference", because two of them had Drouin #2 and one had Barkov #2. However, all three who picked MacKinnon had Jones #2.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I think Jones is clearly ahead of all of those defenseman. Even Doughty. The guy has Chris Pronger potential. People said Hedman had that potential but it wasn't fair to him because he never had the offensive side of the game down. Jones is clearly one of the best two way defenseman we've seen since Doughty in the draft.
Have you seen Hedman this year? From what i've HEARD he has been stellar in all aspects of the game and i'd bet you he will become even better yet. He's a big dude taking time to develop, obviously even bigger then Pronger and Jones. But you mean Seth is even better? Either way MacKinnon dont seem to be comparable to Tavares and Stamkos so even if Jones goes first it does not necessarily mean much.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:26 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Have you seen Hedman this year? From what i've HEARD he has been stellar in all aspects of the game and i'd bet you he will become even better yet. He's a big dude taking time to develop, obviously even bigger then Pronger and Jones. But you mean Seth is even better? Either way MacKinnon dont seem to be comparable to Tavares and Stamkos so even if Jones goes first it does not necessarily mean much.
Jones is the best d-man prospect for me since Pronger. It could turn out different but this is as high as I have been on a D prospect in years. That isn't a knock on Hedman more a tribute to Jones, who has been a big name since he was 14. He almost has that rare Canadian big super prospect feel to him in that he has been around and talked about for a long time. I just don't see flaws in his game and don't even think his transition will be slow. I could be wrong, but there are probably other people that excited about him. He is a special rare talent, one I am hoping gets invited to the US Olympic camp this summer and I think he might outplay a lot of guys there and even get them talking about the 2014 US Olympic spot.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:32 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Seems like you could've just watched the youtube posted earlier that had the actual show.

10 NHL scouts polled before the WJC, 7 scouts liked MacKinnon 1st and 3 scouts liked Jones 1st. After the WJC, 7 scouts liked Jones 1st and 3 scouts like MacKinnon 1st. So the WJC obviously is a factor...that should be pretty obvious I thought. Players rise and fall over the course of a season. If the draft happened in February instead of June then it would look completely different.

Even though the WJC is important...it definitely isn't everything to those who actually matter. I guess those who pick Jones over MacKinnon because the WJC would also not even consider Ryan Nugent Hopkins in the top 10 for 2011 because he was cut from Team Canada. Good thing the NHL scouts took the whole year into consideration I guess, huh? Prospects stocks will be inflated after the WJC but that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

And saying that Jones has a huge advantage over MacKinnon just isn't a good analysis IMO and the 10 NHL scouts McKenzie talked to agree with me.

Again, if you watched the video you'd see McKenzie say something like "7 to 3 in favor of Jones may look lopsided, but it's NOT, because EVERY scout goes to the point of saying hey there is a tiny difference between these two guys...it could be positional at the end...you need a defenseman, take Jones and you need a center, take MacKinnon".

So it must be that a couple of the HFBoards posters have it all figured out and have noticed a big difference between Jones and MacKinnon that he paid professional NHL scouts and most hockey fans have yet to see.
No. The last poll was in September. So to say its about the WJC isn't true.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Defense

With Portland and Halifax ranked 1 and 2 respectively in the CHL, it would be exciting to watch Jones face off MacKinnon and Drouin at the Memorial Cup.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:06 AM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
No. The last poll was in September. So to say its about the WJC isn't true.
It is true if U watched Bob MacKenzie on TSN just prior to the tournament start.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:13 AM
BrimStone64

How does Robert Hagg compare to Karlsson in his draft year?

BrimStone64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:07 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
How does Robert Hagg compare to Karlsson in his draft year?
Hagg is a pretty developed kid already in terms of size. He will continue to get bigger, but he is already much larger than Karlsson like right now. I do know Hakan Andersson the Wings Swedish super scout is a big fan, never a bad sign.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Teus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
He's been a little better lately, but it all goes hand in hand with ice time. There are no TOI stats tracked in SEL2, but I would estimate Burakovsky has averaged 7-8 minutes this season. The way he's dominated against his age group has kept him high. Big U18 Worlds coming for him.
Another part has been that he has had a rough time adjusting from junior hockey to the more physical men's league.

It feels like he has gotten his confident back in the past weeks though after being buried in the depth chart in Malmö for most of the season. In the last couple of games, the points have started dropping in too.

Should be interesting to see him in the U18 Worlds.

Teus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

It would be interesting info to know whether Bobby Mac uses the same 10 scouts every time and are they North-American based scouts or also European based?

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:49 AM
c_robio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He explained that it's not just because of the WJC. None of his scouts penalized MacKinnon for a poor WJC, but they're not going to ignore Jones' acocmplishments either.

And the thing is, we know that 3 of the scouts who picked Jones did not think it was "just a minor difference", because two of them had Drouin #2 and one had Barkov #2. However, all three who picked MacKinnon had Jones #2.
Why assume that this has to do with the difference between Mackinnon and Jones ? Maybe those scouts really like Drouin or Barkov.

They say that your stock can't drop as a 17 year old in the WJ so it has to have more to do with Jones Rising because of the tournament than Mackinnon falling. Those saying that Mackinnon's stock has dropped because of World Juniors are off base imo.

Aside from Bob Mckenzie flat out saying that it's neck and neck, he also said that one of the scouts went from Jones to Mackinnon as #1 overall based on the prospects game alone.

Last edited by c_robio: 02-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.
c_robio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It would be interesting info to know whether Bobby Mac uses the same 10 scouts every time and are they North-American based scouts or also European based?
According to this video, it's the same 10 head scouts he interviews. So the guys who watch NA and Euro hockey:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=2&id=198751

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I love how a stereotype created by the minority of Russian players is used to identify the majority of Russians.

Every country has players with attitude problems... The Russian Factor is getting ridiculous.
The Russian Factor doesn't have anything to do with attitude, it's whether they will come over to the NHL or stay and play in the KHL. Lots of clubs are leary of using a high draft pick on someone that may never leave Russia.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote