HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens 5, Habs 1

Old
01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Agreed. He's such a smart player. Really making smart plays so far this season.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Wow is this Mandy person always so out to lunch? Trade Spezza and Anderson. Methot isn't good. Etc. etc.

Methot has been a rock and has been absolutely flawless in his time in Ottawa so far. He's broken up rushes, and he's made some nice breakout passes too. I'm more impressed with the way that he is keeping the puck away from the other team than his defensive endeavours. So far Methot has been awesome defintely a top 3 guy.
To be fair, I don't want to trade Anderson

Spezza only for a good package

And no Methot has not been flawless. Not even close. That's the kind of comment I take issue with.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:58 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

As impressed as I am with how the team handled itself tonight despite the injuries, Im still scared of the possibility of them having to do it for an extended time if Spezza is indeed injured badly.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:59 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
This

And no Methot has not been flawless. Not even close. That's the kind of comment I take issue with.
The team won a single game without Spezza. If he's out for an extended time the offense will dry up big time, spurting out random big scoring nights and looking pathetic on others. Think of a horny 14 year old. Things look good when the bottom six contributes in a big way, but there is a reason that they're bottom 6 players and Spezza makes the big bucks. This team needs Spezza, and badly.

As for trading Spezza, its rare that the team that loses the best player in a trade comes out on top. It really makes no sense unless Turris proves that he's a point a game player and Regin becomes a 50-60 point guy.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:04 PM
General Granny*

Benoit with almost 20 minutes of ice time, 2 assists and a couple of blocked shots.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
The team won a single game without Spezza. If he's out for an extended time the offense will dry up big time, spurting out random big scoring nights and looking pathetic on others. Think of a horny 14 year old. Things look good when the bottom six contributes in a big way, but there is a reason that they're bottom 6 players and Spezza makes the big bucks. This team needs Spezza, and badly.

As for trading Spezza, its rare that the team that loses the best player in a trade comes out on top. It really makes no sense unless Turris proves that he's a point a game player and Regin becomes a 50-60 point guy.
We'll see, but it's been 2 games now, not 1.

Spezza was back to some of his old habits this season. 2011-12 Spezza would be a big loss, but this year he hasn't been at that level.

As for trading him, it obviously depends on the rerun. I don't know what he would return, so it's hard to say either way right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Was really impressed with Benoit tonight, I was also impressed with Silfverberg considering he was on a line with Latendresse and Regin.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:09 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
This

Karlsson has not been flawless. He has made some amazing plays, but he still can be out of position from time to time. Fortunately, his skill can compensate for that.

I don't see your point, if you hate Methot for making a few mistakes guess what, Gorges does it, Seabrook does it, even Lidstrom wasn't perfect.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
As impressed as I am with how the team handled itself tonight despite the injuries, Im still scared of the possibility of them having to do it for an extended time if Spezza is indeed injured badly.
If Spez doesn't play on friday, we'll get a good idea of what life without our star center will be like. Staal x2 vs. Turris/Zibanejad/Regin will be a rude awakening.

I will say this though, we have so much more depth than in previous years to deal with this. Having Da Costa tucked away in Bingo is a nice insurance policy and Turris being a legit #2 with upside to become a #1 is something we've never really had.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
costermonger
sans classe

According to advanced statisticals, Filip Kuba scored 0.44 points per game in 2011-2012, playing with Karlsson. So far, Marc Methot has scored 0.43 points per game playing with Karlsson. If we convert these rates into adjusted Chara-metric kilojoules ([pts per game x weight x height (cm) x PIMs per game]/[20-(shooting percentage + draft number / age)]) we see that Kuba's CJ rating is 959, while Methot's CJ is 782.

Clearly, this means Kuba was the more effective player. One just has to do the math.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:10 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
We'll see, but it's been 2 games now, not 1.

Spezza was back to some of his old habits this season. 2011-12 Spezza would be a big loss, but this year he hasn't been at that level.

As for trading him, it obviously depends on the rerun. I don't know what he would return, so it's hard to say either way right now.
Spezza hasn't been great by his standards this season yes.

Yet, he still has a point in every game he's played in this season. That's how good he is. You don't replace guys like that.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Spezza is someone you don't trade unless you have no other option. You do not get proper return on that kind of talent, and he's not replaceable. Whether or not you think he's been good this season (he has been our second best forward only behind Turris who has been absolutely phenomenal) he is a top tier talent and you don't ever let that go.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
HavlatMach9

I feel for Spezza. His wingers are always Michalek and ??? so he soaks almost all the opposition's best dmen. Surprised that at his worst, Spezza is just a tad below a ppg.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Karlsson has not been flawless. He has made some amazing plays, but he still can be out of position from time to time. Fortunately, his skill can compensate for that.

I don't see your point, if you hate Methot for making a few mistakes guess what, Gorges does it, Seabrook does it, even Lidstrom wasn't perfect.
I don't hate Methot. I just get annoyed when he kills the pressure the Sens have in the offensive zone, or when Karlsson makes him a great pass and he does nothing with it, or when instead of passing to Karlsson he does something else that is not effective.

That's the main source of my displeasure. Karlsson on the other hand is dominant pretty much every shift, creates so much offensively and has yet to directly cause a goals against.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
General Granny*

Zibenejad 2 for 8 in faceoffs.
Turris 14-6
Smith 12-8
Regin 4-4

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Listened to the game tonight but it sounds like the 2nd and 3rd were fun to watch, pretty keen to get home and watch a replay/extended highlights.

Quote:
Bonk and Wasted. Say I'm a hypocrite calling Phillips and Volch #2 guys, but Methot a #4.

Well, both Volch and Phill were top 10 D defensively imo.

In 2006-07, the were a combined +73, but had a combined 45 points. Considering they played against #1 lines all the time, that's ridiculous. So good defensively. They were the top pair on the Cup finalist team too.

Methot doesn't touch them imo. Even offensively.
Although it is a small sample size, using your metrics to evaluate Phillips and Volch, Methot is on pace (pro rata'd) for 35 pts and a +35 this season (82g). Similar stats, if not better stats. You probably have some QualComp data that I'm not interested in though.

Regardless of the stats, I've been very impressed with Methot so far this season and I hope Karlsson and him develop a good/great chemistry this year so that we will have the luxury of putting Cowen on the 2nd pairing. Hopefully that way we will see Cowen develop chemistry with Ceci/Wiercioch/Borowieicki/whoever and a few years down the line we could have 2 pairings that can potentially play 25mins a night.

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Spezza hasn't been great by his standards this season yes.

Yet, he still has a point in every game he's played in this season. That's how good he is. You don't replace guys like that.
Quote:
Spezza is someone you don't trade unless you have no other option. You do not get proper return on that kind of talent, and he's not replaceable. Whether or not you think he's been good this season (he has been our second best forward only behind Turris who has been absolutely phenomenal) he is a top tier talent and you don't ever let that go.
he's kind of replaceable. When he's not playing well, he's actually the type of player we can do without. When he's playing well, he's not replaceable.

Therefore, he's in between those 2 extremes. I'd trade him for a guy like Couture or Benn for example.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
playasRus

Quote:
he's kind of replaceable. When he's not playing well, he's actually the type of player we can do without. When he's playing well, he's not replaceable.

Therefore, he's in between those 2 extremes. I'd trade him for a guy like Couture or Benn for example.
A ppg first line centre who faces the top opposition, allowing for other team mates to face lower opposition and who is generally pretty healthy and has been developing his defensive game to acceptable levels is not an easily replaceable player.

Karlsson is replaceable. It just takes that 1 in a million player to replace him. Spezza is replaceable. We won't get that replacement until we finish dead last after we trade him and wait 3-4 years for our first overall pick to develop into a replacement.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
Listened to the game tonight but it sounds like the 2nd and 3rd were fun to watch, pretty keen to get home and watch a replay/extended highlights.

Although it is a small sample size, using your metrics to evaluate Phillips and Volch, Methot is on pace (pro rata'd) for 35 pts and a +35 this season (82g). Similar stats, if not better stats. You probably have some QualComp data that I'm not interested in though.

Regardless of the stats, I've been very impressed with Methot so far this season and I hope Karlsson and him develop a good/great chemistry this year so that we will have the luxury of putting Cowen on the 2nd pairing. Hopefully that way we will see Cowen develop chemistry with Ceci/Wiercioch/Borowieicki/whoever and a few years down the line we could have 2 pairings that can potentially play 25mins a night.
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci

Has a lot of potential.

Old
Quo
storms in my knees

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/sp...eing-evaluated

Quote:
He (Spezza) is a guy that you can’t replace,” said Turris. “He’s one of the best players in the league. If we have to go without him, we have guys that step up every night. Collectively, as a team, we have to come together and find ways to win.”

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:

Are you out of your mind?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
A ppg first line centre who faces the top opposition, allowing for other team mates to face lower opposition and who is generally pretty healthy and has been developing his defensive game to acceptable levels is not an easily replaceable player.

Karlsson is replaceable. It just takes that 1 in a million player to replace him. Spezza is replaceable. We won't get that replacement until we finish dead last after we trade him and wait 3-4 years for our first overall pick to develop into a replacement.
Read my post again. At his best, he's not replaceable. But the Spezza from this season so far won't be missed.

He's slow, not moving his feet.
-Therefore his puck possession time is down, so he's not creating as much offense, and allows the other team to create more
-therefore he's been lackluster defensively, slow on the backcheck

''He's ppg'' -don't care. He's not really helping that much.

I'll take a Benn or Couture over him because of age.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:32 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Are you out of your mind?
If that means I'm out of my mind, then yes, yes I am

Old
01-30-2013, 11:34 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:

You can't be serious.

01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Read my post again. At his best, he's not replaceable. But the Spezza from this season so far won't be missed.

-Therefore his puck possession time is down, so he's not creating as much offense, and allows the other team to create more

But if you take a small sample to evaluated whether they're replaceable from any player you'd want to trade every player and never be happy with what you have. Karlsson will go on 4-5 game runs where he's not going to be impressive. Should we trade him when he slumps? Crosby will have streaks where he doesn't contribute to wins, should the Pens trade him for Jamie Benn? It's not like Jamie Benn and Couturier are flawless players who never have cold streaks where they do absolutely nothing in a game.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

Okay, so a guy that is a PPG isn't creating much offense. It's really too bad he's not as good as Wayne Gretzky.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote