HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any idea...

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Any idea...

how last year's crop of first round picks are doing? I've compiled some stats, but they're just that, stats:

Ovechkin - he's #3 in scoring on his team, and scores a goal every .31 games compared to .25 last season, all the while in a more competitive situation.

Malkin's averaging a point in every .61 games compared to .35 last season, again, in a more competitive situation.

Barker's at .96 compared to .94.

Ladd's goal scoring is once every .25 games compared to every .42 last season.

Wheeler...can't really compare.

Olesz' averaging a point every .28 games vs. .34 last season, in a bit more competitive situation.

Picard, 1.34 games vs. 1.16 last year.

And finally Tukonen, a point every .23 games vs. .17.

All-in-all, based solely on stats, nobody's really knocking the cover off the ball. Of course the rest of their respective game could have improved immensely, but I have know way of knowing.

Oh yeah, Montoya's struggling a bit by some accounts.

On another note, Schremp increased his production from 1.15 PPG to 1.43 (.47 goals to .66). I don't know if his attitude has adjusted, but the kid could end up being the steal of the draft if he can straighten out his head. Lowe may have something there, but it's way early to tell.

Last edited by Fletch: 03-10-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old
03-10-2005, 02:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
how last year's crop of first round picks are doing? I've compiled some stats, but they're just that, stats:

Ovechkin - he's #3 in scoring on his team, and scores a goal every .31 games compared to .25 last season, all the while in a more competitive situation.

Malkin's averaging a point in every .61 games compared to .35 last season, again, in a more competitive situation.

Barker's at .96 compared to .94.

Ladd's goal scoring is once every .25 games compared to every .42 last season.

Wheeler...can't really compare.

Olesz' averaging a point every .28 games vs. .34 last season, in a bit more competitive situation.

Picard, 1.34 games vs. 1.16 last year.

And finally Tukonen, a point every .23 games vs. .17.

All-in-all, based solely on stats, nobody's really knocking the cover off the ball. Of course the rest of their respective game could have improved immensely, but I have know way of knowing.

Oh yeah, Montoya's struggling a bit by some accounts.

Korpikoski dont have that much points either. 6 assist in 41 games and 0 goals. 4th liners in the NHL get more points than that at times.

Old
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Dont forget that Korpedo is still only 18, and in an improved Finland league compared to last year with all the NHLers going to Europe.

Old
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Fletch

JOrt...

I don't think this year is a defining year for Korpikoski. As unknown says, he is 18 (probably 19 by now) and played mostly on a fourth line with men. I don't think it would be much different than if an 18 year old goes into the AHL (heck, some 20 year olds don't put up numbers right away either).

Old
03-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Balej20*

KORPI SUCKS!!! Trade him!

Old
03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
KORPI SUCKS!!! Trade him!
You are kidding, right?

In any case, whom do you think has more trade value?

Your namesake or Korpi?

P.S. Please excuse my butting in, Fletch, as this is more of the type of post one would make on the old threaded board.

Old
03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
You are kidding, right?

In any case, whom do you think has more trade value?

Your namesake or Korpi?

P.S. Please excuse my butting in, Fletch, as this is more of the type of post one would make on the old threaded board.
i was kidding..

but to answer your question...at the moment, i believe Balej has more trade value.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Levitate

korpikoski should get more icetime next year hopefully and put up more points. he's a little more of a project than the other fins drafted in the same draft...he doesn't seem like he's really "filled out" yet...he's still been kind of a boy in a man's league. but with the experience and another year under his belt (and hopefully the NHLers will be gone from the league so they won't push him downt he chart) he should get more responsibility and chances. he seems to be a great player against other guys his own age...he just needs the time to grow up and adapt to playing with older players.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
korpikoski should get more icetime next year hopefully and put up more points. he's a little more of a project than the other fins drafted in the same draft...he doesn't seem like he's really "filled out" yet...he's still been kind of a boy in a man's league. but with the experience and another year under his belt (and hopefully the NHLers will be gone from the league so they won't push him downt he chart) he should get more responsibility and chances. he seems to be a great player against other guys his own age...he just needs the time to grow up and adapt to playing with older players.
Yea, the talent is there. It's a matter of him filling out his body, and just adjust to the more advanced leagues. He seems to be a year or two behind a guy like Tukkonen or Nokkelainen, but I really think talent-wise he's just as good.

For the record, I would take him over Balej any day. If Korpi doesn't pan out as a top 6 forward, it still seems like he could be a valuable two-way 3rd line winger. To me Balej is a one dimensional 2nd line winger or bust.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I don't think this year is a defining year for Korpikoski. As unknown says, he is 18 (probably 19 by now) and played mostly on a fourth line with men. I don't think it would be much different than if an 18 year old goes into the AHL (heck, some 20 year olds don't put up numbers right away either).

I know that. I was just pointing out that he should get more ice time.

Old
03-10-2005, 11:02 PM
bmoak

Some things to remember....

TPS is a proud historic franchise that's currently battling to solidify their playoff seeding. It can be hard to work a kid into the lineup. On the other hand Tukonen playes for Espoo Blues and Nokelainen for SaiPa, which are 11th and 12th in the 13 team SM-Liga and have nothing to lose by giving prime ice time to kids.

Old
03-11-2005, 07:26 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I know that. I was just pointing out that he should get more ice time.
Becuase of what? Why should he? He is not in the NHL. Just becuase you want him to get more meaningfull minutes, does not mean that the people who run his Finnish team feel the same way.

Old
03-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Fletch

klingsor...

tough question...to answer that, would someone have paid a high #1 pick for Balej? I don't think so, personally, and that's what Korpikoski was.

Closed Thread