HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks fall to Wild in Shootout (3-2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Let him gloat, I measure our performance based on whether or not we could beat a team in a 7 game series. From what I saw tonight we take the Wild in 5 if we have home ice.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
So I just did some regressions on what I find to be the two most important factors in team success, PK% and GAA.

I attached the two data plots. There's a strong positive correlation between PK% and points. Then there is a strong negative correlation between GAA and points.

Right now Chicago is #5 in GAA and #2 in PK. These are the kind of teams that win cups.
Attached Images
File Type: png PK.png‎ (14.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png GAA.png‎ (11.3 KB, 11 views)

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by puterwiz53 View Post
What the Hawks need is another center who can win a damn face off. Toews seems to be the only one who can. Faceoffs in their own end is killing the Hawks. Can't expect Toews to take every face off in their own end.
Faceoff stats tonight:

Toews 13/23 56.5%
Bolland 6/20 30%
Shaw 6/11 54.5%
Kruger 7/12 58.3%

Other than Bolland - who was horrendous tonight - the other 3 centermen were above 50%.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Teppo

Quote:
Let him gloat, I measure our performance based on whether or not we could beat a team in a 7 game series. From what I saw tonight we take the Wild in 5 if we have home ice.
That was not the way you should expect the Wild to play typically. Third game in four nights (second in two) against a rested team is a massive disadvantage. Parise, Koivu, Heatley had no jump by mid point. Not that I would bet against the Hawks in a 7 game series against the Wild, but the Wild are a significantly better team than what you saw tonight.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

It sucks the streak is over but if we had to lose I'd rather lose tonite than to the Nucks on Friday. So when does Saad score. I say Friday night, in fact ill say he gets two.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. They will make the playoffs and then fall first round maybe. But making the playoffs is like winning the Cup for them.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I go into every game thinking Saad's going to score. He's all around the net, he's getting chances, he's just gotta get that first one out of the way.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I go into every game thinking Saad's going to score. He's all around the net, he's getting chances, he's just gotta get that first one out of the way.
Even on the Toews goal he was right in front of the net ready to pick up the garbage if need be, so it's only a matter of time for the kid. Saad is our next Ladd. Too bold? Maybe!

Old
01-31-2013, 01:30 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Loser points are better than no points.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Any chance you boys would be interested in Backstrom come trade deadline?

Not trying to troll.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:42 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Any chance you boys would be interested in Backstrom come trade deadline?

Not trying to troll.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I really liked what I saw from the Bottom 6. D looked good too for most of the time. Need to clear the crease on that 1st Wild goal.
Crawford with another really good game. Still not sure if he is just more "lucky" or if he overcome what held him back last year.

Not liked the output the Top6 gave us

PK was great, that 5 against the Swedes was a hell of a Penalty kill. Krüger can now officially be compared with John Madden version 2009/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
We need to find a 3rd shooter that can be consistent in shootouts
The way they are playing, Frolik should have been the 3rd shooter. Sharp plays bad so far and if this was to get him going, it didn't help

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Loser points are better than no points.
There are no loser points in hockey. You get a point for a tie like you always did. Win it in OT or SO is a winners/extra Point

6-0-1 is a great start. No matter how you look at it. No team has beaten us in regulation.

Culk, still want to make the VAN GDT?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:14 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

This losing thing is weird.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Keifer

It's good to see you guys doing so well in the season this year, i'm a vancouver fan and i look forward to my team's first real test so far and hopefully we make sure your team loses 2 in a row lol see you on friday

Old
01-31-2013, 05:16 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
Even on the Toews goal he was right in front of the net ready to pick up the garbage if need be, so it's only a matter of time for the kid. Saad is our next Ladd. Too bold? Maybe!
Looks to me like Saad will be better than Ladd in a reasonably quick amount of time (year or two). He seems more dynamic than I ever remember Ladd being, and already is excellent defensively. Plays quicker, bigger and stronger than Ladd. I'll be bolder: Hossa with less scoring?

We'll see if he "hits the wall" this year due to the compressed schedule, but he just does so many things right. Fun to watch.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Ladd is a ~30 goal scorer up to 60 Points and captain of his team - won the Cup twice. Saad won't be better than Ladd in the next 1-2 years

Old
01-31-2013, 07:05 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

IMO, Saad and Ladd really aren't simular players. Ladd plays a grittier game; gets more involved physically and is physically stronger - but that's to be expected. Ladd was 23/24 for his best years in Chicago, Saad just turned 20 a couple months ago and really doesn't have much man-strength, yet. As he matures and gains more experience at the NHL level, he'll be alot to handle in the corners and coming down wide on Dmen with speed.

The two guys that most come to mind when I watch Saad play are Patrick Marleau and Max Pacioretty and when you look at Pacioretty's stats, the seem to mirror Saad's - even to the point that they're both late birth years.

Draft year's:

Pacioretty, USHL - GP 60, G 21, A 42, Pts 63
Saad, OHL - GP 59, G 27, A 28, Pts 55

First Pro season:

Pacioretty, AHL - GP 37, G 6, A 23, Pts 29 / NHL - GP 34, G 3, A 8, Pts 11
Saad, AHL - GP 31, G 8, A 12, Pts 20 / NHL - GP 6, G 0, A 0 Pts 0

Obviously, Pacioretty's not a 30-goal man in the NHL and a top-line player. Not saying Saad's going to be as good as Pacioretty, but they're pretty simular IMO.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Really deserved the win, had the puck all night. Was pretty sure Minny would score on one of their few chances late in the 3rd though so 1 point is OK I guess...

Crawford played good even though he has some wtf moments each game (turning his back on a re-direct?) and I'm really impressed by the improved play of Kruger, Frolik and Oduya from last season. Shaw had his best game of the season and the third line overall played well.

Can't wait until the Nucks game, Bollig and Brookbank will almost certainly have to drop 'em and possibly some more guys. Even though we're a pretty soft team, the Nucks are softer.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
JPE123

Well Hawks fans, everybody has to lose at some point. I would take solace in walking away with a point. I like your team this year and if Crawford holds up I see good things. BTW, I'm a Wings fan

Old
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
So I just did some regressions on what I find to be the two most important factors in team success, PK% and GAA.

I attached the two data plots. There's a strong positive correlation between PK% and points. Then there is a strong negative correlation between GAA and points.

Right now Chicago is #5 in GAA and #2 in PK. These are the kind of teams that win cups.
Just curious...what data did you use there? Last season's?

Not to mention the fact that the correlation between PK% & points is actually not that great.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Chelios

My few observations from last night:

- Crawford continues to impress. He has been awesome this year, and I hope it continues.

- I thought Toews had a really good game last night, and seems to be rounding into form. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5-10 games he goes on a tear. He was all over the ice last night and looked really dangerous.

- Saad had another strong game despite not getting rewarded on the score sheet. IMO the perfect compliment to Toews and Hossa: big, strong, fast, good positioning, and, most importantly, drives to the net better than anyone else on the team. He will start putting up points soon.

- Shaw had his best game, by far, of the season. That whole line played well, but Shaw stood out. Showed off some offensive skills, did some yapping and hitting. Exactly what we need from him. Hopefully this is a sign he is getting used to being at C and this will continue.

- Leddy looks like a completely different player this year. He is absolutely flying out there. Still makes mistakes, like any young defender, but is able to make up for many of them with his speed. Absolutely love having him on the 3rd pairing as it gives us balance on the back end that we haven't had in a long time.

- PK is unreal. Amazing what happens when you stay aggressive and hound the puck instead of sitting back in a tight box and letting the opposing team pass it around like its pond hockey. Frolik and Kruger, as some have already mentioned, have been huge on the PK not just for their killing, but for eating up minutes and giving our skilled players more rest. It seems that we almost always have a scoring chance following a killed PK with a fresh Kane on the ice.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:50 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Just curious...what data did you use there? Last season's?

Not to mention the fact that the correlation between PK% & points is actually not that great.
Yeah it's last years data. We haven't had enough of a season for teams to really separate themselves. And of course there are outliers like Montreal, but the fact remains that the teams that go far are always up there. Your LA's, New Yorks, New Jerseys, are all up there.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Sevanston

I'm starting to lose interest in Bolland as a 2nd line center.

He's not the worst player you could put there, but he's clearly looking like the 3rd wheel on that line to me.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I'm starting to lose interest in Bolland as a 2nd line center.

He's not the worst player you could put there, but he's clearly looking like the 3rd wheel on that line to me.
You won't next game.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Hawkaholic

Terrible games by Kane, Sharp, Bolland, and Frolik.

Impressed with the 1st line, the 3rd line.

Crawford was as good as he has been all year, maybe slightly better. Glad to see he is being consistent. He's looking like 2010-11 Crawford, which is a REALLY good sign for us.

I'm happy we got a tie.

Closed Thread