HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"They played yesterday so they were probably tired." Is that a legitimate excuse?

Old
02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Dwight Schrude

vCash: 500
"They played yesterday so they were probably tired." Is that a legitimate excuse?

Seriously. Rather it be an NHL game or an NBA game. A team plays its second game of a back-to-back and loses to a team who hasn't played for maybe 1 or 2 days, there's almost always that excuse. "They played yesterday." I hear it more often than not from fans, sports analyst, and commentators. Is that a legitimate excuse as to why they lose the second game of a back-to-back?

Last edited by Dwight Schrude: 02-01-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Dwight Schrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:41 PM
cynicism

It's a partial explanation. Other things factor in a loss, but fatigue is always going to be among them, especially in a shortened season like this.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Yes. I mean...no. I mean I don't know.

Seriously there are many other factors that come in to play, for example if the game was very emotional or not. However, more often then not, that is the excuse used. It's never simply that the better team won, there must be an excuse. And the easiest to use is that the team is fatigued from back-to-back games.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
jimmythescot

Of course it is. Notice the analysts who say this are occasionally ex-players. I've always thought the 'injuries are no excuse' argument was foolish, but this one is nearly as bad. They're human. Physical and mental fatigue have an effect of your ability to perform. It doesn't mean you can't win or even excel, but it will have an effect on your ability more often than not.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Uh yeah.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
I don't know. I know your muscles need time to recover, but when I play if I sleep well eat well and rest the whole next day, I feel pretty good to play again the next day.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:51 PM
MastuhNinks

It would be interesting to see a long-term study done on what the W/L record of teams are on the 2nd night of a back to back. It would be extremely tedious though.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Of course it is. Notice the analysts who say this are occasionally ex-players. I've always thought the 'injuries are no excuse' argument was foolish, but this one is nearly as bad. They're human. Physical and mental fatigue have an effect of your ability to perform. It doesn't mean you can't win or even excel, but it will have an effect on your ability more often than not.
Here's what I don't get about that argument: let's say a player leaves as a free agent so they're not playing, people go "oh well now that team won't be as good". Let's say a player gets injured so they're not playing, people go "injuries aren't an excuse." Lol. In either case, they're not playing but depending on the reason they're not playing, people expect entirely different outcomes. So weird.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
pt_mck

Sens just played 5 games in 7 nights 3-1-1 finishing with 2 wins and arguably played their strongest game in game 5

So no

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Lidstromfan5

Yes and no. It seems to me that in the early stages of the game it takes less for the team who played last night to get/stay loose and up to full speed. Though by late 2nd into the 3rd you can notice the fatigue in the players. Just what I think

Lidstromfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:20 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

At the very least, second games in a back-to-back generally seem more defense-oriented. Everyone's lost a step and is gassed, and so instead of relying on offense, teams are going to try to work from the back more often.

Less pinching, more positioning, etc.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Nolanitis

Excuse or reality. So far from what I have observed is the team that played the night before has good first periods and then seem to lose their jump as the other team finds their game. I think it is even more legitimate this year so far because players are still not in top hockey shape yet.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
Sens just played 5 games in 7 nights 3-1-1 finishing with 2 wins and arguably played their strongest game in game 5

So no
Anecdotes = statistics?

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
TCL40

Quote:

So noSens just played 5 games in 7 nights 3-1-1 finishing with 2 wins and arguably played their strongest game in game 5

So no
I don't think you can take an anecdote and say 'look they did well so that means it isn't an excuse" because there is a lot that goes into playing a B2B. If both teams are on B2B, how much travel, how close was the game (if a team can roll all 4 lines in a mostly easy win compared to a super tight, very physical, hard fought game or a game with few penalties compared to a game with a lot-special teams play can wear a team down too).

But in general I think fatigue can be a factor in a loss. I don't necessarily think you can say "they're tired, so they can't help it" but I think it is ridiculous to think fatigue from a B2B doesn't come into play either.

I know in a discussion earlier this week elsewhere it was brought up that stats wise the team that is fresh playing against a team on a back to back wins twice as often as the b2b team. I think it is hard to rule out the issue of fatigue with that state.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:30 PM
SilverSeven

Absolutely. I cant find the stat, but teams that are on the second game of a back to back have HORRIBLE records. They win like 25% of the time or something insane like that.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:

So no
Well, that's an extremely flawed argument.
Getting back on point, over the course of a season, the back-to-backs will most certainly have an effect on performance. An excuse to lose a game? No, not necessarily, but it is without a doubt one of the many factors that play a role in determining the outcome of a hockey game. It's mental and physical fatigue, and two games in 24 hours at the NHL level will definitely expose fatigue is some players over time.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:

So no
The important thing is that you used a statistically significant sample size.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:35 PM
TCL40

Not sure what the record is for the teams with back to backs, but I think this season the fatigue could be more of an issue because of the 1 week training camp.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
MadLuke

If both team played yesterday no, but otherwise yeah it is a factor.

The no excuse mentality and talk for player and coach is a correct attitude in a way (a good lie).

But being affreid of using the possibility of explaining factor (fact that explain in part the result of the event) by commentator and fan is plain ridiculous imo.

If your best defenceman and starting goaltender was not playing in a 4of7 series againts a full heatly team, it is a valid factor in the loss (a good excuse to explain the poor result if the team had one).

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:45 PM
MadLuke

Excuse: To explain (a fault or an offense) in the hope of being forgiven or understood

I thing the two games in two nights can be a thing that can explain and help forgive or understand some player with big minutes having some issues at the end of the 3periods of the seconds games for an examples.

Completely.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Asher

Yes, especially if the team playing back-to-back games had to travel in between, which happens a lot in the NHL.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:06 PM
SJGoalie32

Excessive fatigue is most certainly a factor in a team's performance......but it doesn't guarantee defeat.

If two teams are evenly matched, Team A essentially has a 50% chance of winning the game. If Team A played the night before, maybe the fatigue drops their likelihood of winning down to 45% or 40%.

Certainly far from automatically doomed to lose, and they still have a very good chance of winning the game if they work hard and execute well....but that fatigue also puts the team that played the night before at somewhat more of a disadvantage than if they had a day or two off prior.

Of course, there are many many other factors that go into a game and how an individual team responds to them can go a long way. Some teams actually do better on the second half of B2B's than normal. Sometimes, playing that many games that close together can allow players to develop good habits and a good rhythm. So even if they are a little fatigued, perhaps the good habits that developed in the short term are bigger positives than the negatives created by the fatigue. And if you have two teams that have had B2B's or 5 games in 7 nights, maybe Team A is better equipped to handle that workload than their opponent.

I haven't seen the actual stats to support this, but overall, I'd think most teams on the whole have lower winning percentages on the second half of a B2B than normal. Again, not by a large margin and there are plenty of opportunities to overcome those odds, but even slight disadvantages are still disadvantages.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
SabresFan44

technically it should help them because they should be sharper, more alert and in the game, plus when you work out your body develops new cellls that deliver energy to your body, this is why many people who work nights go for a run or workout in the afternoon before their shift.

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
number72

Only if you are a homer and your team loses.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 50
Of course it can be an excuse, but it's a very weak one considering every team has to deal with it, too.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote