HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rogers Arena is a MORGUE

Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
It seems to me that the only Canadian team that has a good crowd are the habs....other Canadian arenas are so quiet...though if the Leafs start doing something ,I would imagine that could be a pretty lively crowd!
Winnipeg has sounded loud from the games I've seen, but they are also new so there is still that excitement around.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
rypper

I think another thing to consider is the team we're playing.

If it was a night when the blackhawks or bruins came to town (or another hated rival) the place would be a little more lively.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
ProstheticConscience
Freeman?

vCash: 883
Also, on the SNet feed, they dial the crowd noise down to nothing on their broadcasts. I've really noticed that with the free Centre Ice preview that's been going on this year.

On HNIC, Rogers Arena always sounds a lot louder.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
I noticed this too. Thought it was kinda strange. Maybe it's just a really boring game?? I'm only half paying attention while I do other things.
Yep. A lot depends on the game and if the home team is winning.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:53 PM
habsrule4eva3089

European fans are way more vocal and expressive then North Americans, if only atmosphere was like that. Those fans know how to attend a game, here it's like these business guys who go to games thinking they're actually someone and acting like they're in a boardroom meeting, it's quite embarrassing actually. Vancouver's decent, Toronto is a shame for the most part, Montreal was the best but now Winnipeg takes it by a landslide, they know how to liven up a building wow. Ottawa's full of elderly people from what I saw lol, Calgary is rowdy only during playoff time, they just wear they're jersey's and hope to be entertained lol. Edmonton with their new young team is going to draw some amazing crowds as they progress to winning.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:56 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
There's too many corporate shills there, and the prices are so high that the true fans can't regularly attend.

I got tickets for a game last season, lower bowl center ice. The game was pretty boring, with not much of anything happening, 0-0 late in the 3rd. The Canucks get a breakaway so I stand up and some corporate ******* right behind me has the nerve to say "sit down" in one of those drawn out, snarky tones.

So I let him have it calling him a corporate shill, a fake, and the reason why it's no longer fun to watch a game in Vancouver any more.

After I get some support from the people sitting beside him, he changes up his tactic saying that I was blocking the view of his wife. ********, the angle for the both of them was fine. He basically sums up the experience and treatment you receive for trying to support your team by cheering and getting involved.

After that he starts to call out each player as they touch the puck, as if to justify his ******* behaviour before, and prove that he was a "fan". So I call him out on it and tell him to **** because I'm trying to listen to the game. And that my friend has a hard time hearing and that you're disrupting his experience.

That's why it's so quiet. ******* corporate shills that think they're better then everyone else and tell people to sit down and shut up.
I just don't get it. Guy's probably dished out $300 for the seat, if he's just going to sit with his mouth shut mildly conscious of what's happening he might as well stay at home and watch it on HD cable.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
a pony

To be fair, the crowd is badly miked for some reason. That said, what did you expect from a January game against the Avs (who are minus some big pieces of the puzzle). Come playoff time you can't hear the anthems being sung by the singer it's so crazy.

a pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:02 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
I kind of noticed that Vancouvers rink was really quiet when the Oilers were in town too.

01-31-2013, 12:08 AM
Tyrolean

I will never support any Rogers related product as they want to bring the NFL to Toronto.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:14 AM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Yeah, Rogers Arena is quiet unless we score or the PA announcer tells us to get loud. I haven't been to a playoff game before though, so that may be different.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
There's too many corporate shills there, and the prices are so high that the true fans can't regularly attend.

I got tickets for a game last season, lower bowl center ice. The game was pretty boring, with not much of anything happening, 0-0 late in the 3rd. The Canucks get a breakaway so I stand up and some corporate ******* right behind me has the nerve to say "sit down" in one of those drawn out, snarky tones.

So I let him have it calling him a corporate shill, a fake, and the reason why it's no longer fun to watch a game in Vancouver any more.

After I get some support from the people sitting beside him, he changes up his tactic saying that I was blocking the view of his wife. ********, the angle for the both of them was fine. He basically sums up the experience and treatment you receive for trying to support your team by cheering and getting involved.

After that he starts to call out each player as they touch the puck, as if to justify his ******* behaviour before, and prove that he was a "fan". So I call him out on it and tell him to **** because I'm trying to listen to the game. And that my friend has a hard time hearing and that you're disrupting his experience.

That's why it's so quiet. ******* corporate shills that think they're better then everyone else and tell people to sit down and shut up.
I splurged on lower bowel seats for a Van-Ana playoff game a few years ago (either game 3 or 4, I can't remember which but I remember that we lost). We scored on a breakaway so I was obviously out of my seat and a ****** in a suit behind me told me to sit down. In the playoffs. When we just scored.

I just told him to stand up and kept on cheering. But I prefer to sit in the upper bowl now. It's not worth the extra money to sit with people like that.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:21 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Yeah I've been to games in calgary, edmonton and vancouver. vancouver is a deadzone. to many damn suits there. I remember a women a few rows down reading a god damn book while the game was going on..... it was pathetic. there are thousands of fans that would jump at getting tix to see the canucks.

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
corporate majority + losing (well, in this case not losing, but just not winning enough) team is a bad mix.

01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Only people who can afford games are suits not rowdy half drunken blue-collar guys.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

An aspect that the suburban fans who don't actually go to games don't understand is the demographic in the lower bowl. Yes, there are some corporate types. But there are also LOTS of company seats given to "regular" people. Many times they bring their kids. I sit 5 rows behind the benches 9-10x a year. There are at least 40 STH in my vicinity that have been STH for 30+ years. They simply aren't drunken, fat, loud fans. However, they do have more money than most of you.

BTW, it's 180-220 a night for my seats. It's why I only get to 10 games in the lower bowl. If any superfans want to buy seats, send me a message or just come to the arena pregame, scalpers will be happy to sell you a $200 seat.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Mac225

Wayyy to many suits at the game. Ha the only reason I've gone to games in the past 2 years is through my dads connections (when clients were unable to attend). But I agree the atmosphere at Rogers Arena is downright miserable (Edmonton, and Montreal being the best).

Mac225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I will never support any Rogers related product as they want to bring the NFL to Toronto.
Don't watch Sportsnet.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Orca Smash

Something tells me fans will be much more excited friday against the hawks.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I kind of noticed that Vancouvers rink was really quiet when the Oilers were in town too.
I saw several Oil fans mention that early when it was clear the mics weren't on. While Rogers isn't loud in the regular season, it was designed specifically for acoustics. It doesn't echo sound like many "loud" buildings. You could tell from the anthem that sportsnet didn't have the mics set up properly.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Those who are saying ACC, there is a difference. Crowd at ACC has nothing to cheer for. Not really the same case as Rogers Arena.
Beating up a sad sack Avs isn't anything to cheer for atm either. Avs fans deserve a bit better from their team management than what they are getting.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac225 View Post
Wayyy to many suits at the game. Ha the only reason I've gone to games in the past 2 years is through my dads connections (when clients were unable to attend). But I agree the atmosphere at Rogers Arena is downright miserable (Edmonton, and Montreal being the best).
Edmonton? Lol. Winnipeg sure.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:35 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmaverick View Post
I splurged on lower bowel seats for a Van-Ana playoff game a few years ago (either game 3 or 4, I can't remember which but I remember that we lost). We scored on a breakaway so I was obviously out of my seat and a ****** in a suit behind me told me to sit down. In the playoffs. When we just scored.

I just told him to stand up and kept on cheering. But I prefer to sit in the upper bowl now. It's not worth the extra money to sit with people like that.
I would have been pissed. Who goes to a sporting event and tells someone to sit down when the home team scores? Brutal.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
It's because the lower bowl is filled with yuppies who give you a stink eye when anyone tries to get a cheer going.

Plus the tickets are stupidly expensive. The upper bowl is where the rowdies are.

But I've even noticed when I've attended games I'm too focused on the game to cheer (besides hits/goals).

Used to be nicknamed the garage should be the library.
Season ticket holder for 8 years, most of it in Section 117 seats 13/14, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm pretty rowdy and everyone around me was always into it. When we stunk it up or during endless cycling I usually stay in my seat like the other 18,000 fans lol

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Smokey McCanucks

I'd hate for anyone reading this to come away with the impression that upper-bowl is cheap, it's still up over $200.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
It wasn't. The "Lets Go Oilers" chants were VERY loud.