HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Mr. Clutch in town. Yak with the OT winner!

Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I wish we had another 2 Hartikainens in the lineup. One extra with good hands. Man that guy is a BEAST

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Look at Smith's career and tell me which season looks like the anomaly. This is like Oilers fans saying they were missing their #1 centre Horcoff after 06.
There's no question he is flawed and looks a lot better than he is behind an excellent system and sound defensive core. That said, Johnson held his own and I don't see how Smith outplays him on this particular evening. The Petrell goal was virtually unstoppable and Yaks home run was equally the same. He made some key and tricky saves tonight. Smith is equal to Ochocinco in tonight's events IMO. The only real potential difference maker missing is Hanzal. Much the same but not as vital, Jonesy is missing for us.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
40oz

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
I can imagine Whitney fruitlessly searching for a comeback to that right now.
He would tweet back, but his gloves are stuck on.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:40 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6

Wow you got verified @89SGagner... Congrats. I feel bad for the ice cream bar that you're gonna demolish on the plane to San Jose though

Sam Gagner ‏@89SGagner

@ryanwhitney6 Wonder if it will taste as good as a Derek Morris right hook?

lol chirp of the year
Oh man, Whitney is getting wrecked on and off the ice this season.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
yup, Bettman called up the officials and said "you know that team making top ten in our revenues, and they are playing our charity case that the city covers the losses for and we are going to ship off to seattle for 300Million in a couple years? Yeah i want you to punish the revenue generators over and over with stupid calls. You know...like the city of Glendale doesnt have to pay for losses or anything "
hush up with the conspiracy idiocy.

anyways... injury to Horc or Not ... all the tough guys get in the lineup for next PHO game. Call some up if need be. I want Doan on a platter. Slam his head every shift. Dont dish it if you dont want to eat it yourself.
It was a joke dude, chill out. Glad you caught on though.....

The joke was intended in the sense that Bettmans slight of hand and not to be taken literally, simply as a light figure of speech. Used his "hand" to keep the Coyotes in the game so the fans at the current game were entertained enough with an OT and potential Coyotes victory to purchase another ticket on dress like a seat cover night. My bad if you don't get it. Last I checked Edmonton wasn't a top ten revenue generator if you wish to be serious. At least that's what Forbes told me. Carry on..

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Anyone know what the attendance was in the desert tonight?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Anyone know what the attendance was in the desert tonight?
I saw on Twitter it was just over 12k.

Not too bad but I think a lot of Canadians flew down for the game. I saw a lot of Oilers jerseys in the crowd.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I am pleased with the win, but someone needs to sit Krueger down and point out that Potter is an absolute **** defenseman. Starting him over Fistric is just an incredibly poor decision. He's played like crap in every game this season, and yet he keeps getting ice time, including PK.

Potter must have some kind of jedi mind control power on Edmonton coaches.

Trade him, waive him, I don't care, just get him off the team.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:47 AM
TennisBalls

Listen to the Phoenix announcers. No wonder there was so much confusion going on as to whether it was the celly or something to do with Whitney.

.... if the youtube video doesn't work..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAW8...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by s7ark: 01-31-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: fixed youtube embed
TennisBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hahaha, Dan O'Toole's response to Pang's nonsense is amazing.

Pang

Quote:
Yak celly gets attention of vet Derek Morris. Mo didnt like the wave of the hands after goal. Took exception after whistle. #Elephants
O'Toole

Quote:
@Panger40 So if I have this right, only acceptable goal celebration in NHL is to put hands at your sides and then feel shame.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
46.22 Fines and Suspensions – Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime) - A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at anytime in overtime (see 46.12) shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident.

When the one-game suspension is imposed, the Coach shall be fined $10,000 – a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.

The suspension shall be served unless, upon review of the incident, the Director of Hockey Operations, at his discretion, deems the incident is not related to the score, previous incidents in the game or prior games, retaliatory in nature, “message sending”, etc. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. This suspension shall be served in addition to any other automatic suspensions a player may incur for an accumulation of three or more instigator penalties.

No team appeals will be permitted either verbally or in writing regarding the assessment of this automatic suspension as all incidents are reviewed by the Director of Hockey Operations as outlined above.
Obviously this probably won't apply but could it in this case?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
It was a joke dude, chill out. Glad you caught on though.....

The joke was intended in the sense that Bettmans slight of hand and not to be taken literally, simply as a light figure of speech. Used his "hand" to keep the Coyotes in the game so the fans at the current game were entertained enough with an OT and potential Coyotes victory to purchase another ticket on dress like a seat cover night. My bad if you don't get it. Last I checked Edmonton wasn't a top ten revenue generator if you wish to be serious. At least that's what Forbes told me. Carry on..
Meh, that call against Gagner was just your typical run of the mill reffing-the-score call. Nothing new there. Weak late calls to help the losing team are nothing new in hockey.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:54 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Belanger is making some terrible plays with the puck in his own zone as well, at a near-Potter like level. Putrid give-aways while attempting to move it from behind his own goal-line. Has set up some Grade-A opposition scoring chances in the past 2-3 games with these plays. He needs to defer to the defensemen in these instances.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
ejams

He was waving his hands to tell the boys come hug me and Derek Morris got PISSED. Whitney was chirping because the guy wanted Yakupov.

This is what my brain comprehended from the scene.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 AM
JetsAlternate

The second line looked really, really mediocre again today. Nail only touched the puck a handful of times before the third period. He looked good in the third, and carried the puck up with speed as I've been hoping he would.

He and Hemsky don't work together. They're never on the same page with anything. When Nail wants the puck, Hemsky shoots. When Hemsky wants to pass, Nail is blocked off by the opposition. Their entry into the offensive zone was often sloppy as well. I just don't think Nail is being utilized to his full potential on that line. With his speed, I've hoped he could create more on the rush. While batting in pucks from the side is excellent, the rest of his tools haven't been on full display. Considering what he has to offer to the team, it's frustrating to watch him circle around while Hemsky fiddles with the puck, not touching the puck at all for several consecutive shifts.

Congrats on another win! I just think the team could be so much more effective with a different set of lines.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 01-31-2013 at 01:05 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Obviously this probably won't apply but could it in this case?
This would likely apply more since the game was over. But the league won't do anything about it. They'll just stand behind the wrong decision by the refs.

Quote:
46.20 Fines and Suspensions – Fighting Other Than During the Periods of the Game - Any teams whose players become involved in an altercation, other than during the periods of the game, shall be fined automatically twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) in addition to any other appropriate penalties that may be imposed upon the participating players by supplementary discipline or otherwise.

Any player who would be deemed to be an instigator pursuant to this ruleat a time other than during the periods of the game shall be suspended automatically for ten (10) games. Such determination may be made by the Referee at the time of the incident or subsequently by the Commissioner or his designee based upon such reports and other information as he deems sufficient, including but not limited to television tapes.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Dazed and Confused

So any word on Horcoff, or is Anton Lander on the next plane out of OKC?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the Nordic line in the NHL, could be a nice preview of the future 3rd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6

Wow you got verified @89SGagner... Congrats. I feel bad for the ice cream bar that you're gonna demolish on the plane to San Jose though

Sam Gagner ‏@89SGagner

@ryanwhitney6 Wonder if it will taste as good as a Derek Morris right hook?

lol chirp of the year
Amazing

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:03 AM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
This would likely apply more since the game was over. But the league won't do anything about it. They'll just stand behind the wrong decision by the refs.
You're probably right but it would be amusing to see the NHL fine itself 25 000 dollars.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
He was waving his hands to tell the boys come hug me and Derek Morris got PISSED. Whitney was chirping because the guy wanted Yakupov.

Whitney was chirping because Morris was whining to the ref in the corner about an imaginary hand pass.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post

SWING and a miss.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
will this do?

Yes that will do.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:11 AM
deep44

Quote:
Whitney was chirping because Morris was whining to the ref in the corner about an imaginary hand pass.
yup morris was talking to the ref... whitney chirped him morris lost it.. yak did nothing.. people blamed him because they need someone to hate on

deep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:13 AM
JetsAlternate

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:15 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
That's my take too.
You could see Morris moving his hand to mimic a hand pass .... big brains like Pang just jumped to the conclusion that he was taking exception to Yakupov's goal celebration.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote