HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Score/TSN

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
The Score/TSN

I just wanted to briefly vent to my HF homies.

The entire NHL report this morning on the Score and TSN, was....

A half dozen or so highlights of the Leafs/Sabres game. Interview clips with Nieuwendyk, Reichel, Holden, Briere and Biron.

Nothing else. I hate Toronto.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:08 PM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432

A half dozen or so highlights of the Leafs/Sabres game. Interview clips with Nieuwendyk, Reichel, Holden, Briere and Biron.

I agree!!! The MapleLeafs have become my MOST hated team now, and it's all because of their stupid media. Why do they think we care about the stupid Leafs out here. I would even rather hear about the Thashers before the Leafs. I vote we kick Toronto out!

I'm done now.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
I vote we kick Toronto out!
But moose, if we kick the Maple Laffs out, who will take over as the nhl's worst fans?

Old
09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Obsessed

Quote:

Can I get a HELL YA!!

Old
09-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i noticed this the other dauy when i was lying down to sleep, and it just kept eating away at me why of all the teams in Canada the leafs get the best and most coverage when they are 2 better team out there soon to be 3

and your the score and tsn are too leaf happy and lets not forget about sportsnet here, they cover the canucks even more than tsn or the score cover the leafs, sportsnet gives a report about the canucks everyday and they put on right when the late show starts

Old
09-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
i noticed this the other dauy when i was lying down to sleep, and it just kept eating away at me why of all the teams in Canada the leafs get the best and most coverage when they are 2 better team out there soon to be 3

and your the score and tsn are too leaf happy and lets not forget about sportsnet here, they cover the canucks even more than tsn or the score cover the leafs, sportsnet gives a report about the canucks everyday and they put on right when the late show starts

The Leafs get all the press because they are in Toronto with something like 30% of the country's market share is. They have the biggest fan base (not the best but the biggest) and all the networks are HQ there. That's why they get the press time more than anyone else.

The reason Sportsnet has so much Canuck stuff is because the midnight feed comes from Sportsnet Pacific... Vancouver. If you want the AB news first, watch in the morning or earlier in the evening and I think you'll see it as you like it. Sportsnet West caters to the western region first.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
The Leafs get all the press because they are in Toronto with something like 30% of the country's market share is. They have the biggest fan base (not the best but the biggest) and all the networks are HQ there. That's why they get the press time more than anyone else.

The reason Sportsnet has so much Canuck stuff is because the midnight feed comes from Sportsnet Pacific... Vancouver. If you want the AB news first, watch in the morning or earlier in the evening and I think you'll see it as you like it. Sportsnet West caters to the western region first.
i know all that Guy i just felt like ranting

Old
09-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
i know all that Guy i just felt like ranting

Oh... well, er... good job then.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:22 PM
PineJockey

I'm with Guy. I don't get all the media bashing. The national coverage covers, gasp, the team that is most popular in the nation. C'mon, you know it's true by all of the annoying leaf fans that show up in every stadium in Canada. We all hate them, but they are everywhere. So, if you don't like the national coverage, watch SportsNet's regional coverage. But it seems silly to simultaneously criticize the national coverage for being too broad and the regional coverage for not being broad enough. Maybe we can convince Bruce Saville or some other rich edmontonian to produce an All Oilers All the Time channel. Now THAT would be sweet.

Quote:

Old
09-22-2003, 01:23 PM
FacelessButcher

TSN is the worst of them their coverage is Toronto biased of course but their analysts and sportcasters are just as bad its very clear they like the leafs more and over rate many of their players and give endless kudos to them or overate the leafs cup chances. Anyone remember when Mats Sundin got dental work last year they gave that more coverage for half a week then the Oilers got and then on top of that gave the Leafs games more coverage too.GGGGRRRRRR!!

Old
09-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
I'm with Guy. I don't get all the media bashing. The national coverage covers, gasp, the team that is most popular in the nation. C'mon, you know it's true by all of the annoying leaf fans that show up in every stadium in Canada. We all hate them, but they are everywhere. So, if you don't like the national coverage, watch SportsNet's regional coverage. But it seems silly to simultaneously criticize the national coverage for being too broad and the regional coverage for not being broad enough. Maybe we can convince Bruce Saville or some other rich edmontonian to produce an All Oilers All the Time channel. Now THAT would be sweet.
You missed it....if you don't get the media bashing.

It doesn't bother me that the Leafs were the lead story.

It doesn't bother me that the Leafs were the most in depth story.

It DOES bother me that they were the ONLY story.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:27 PM
oildrop

I can't stand the Leafs and the Leaf media. They all think that they are Canada's team, yeah right! What the heck have they won in the past 50 years. NOTHING. I hate reading the Edmonton Journal or Edmonton Sun and seeing articles on the Leafs everyday. I'm sure most of us Edmontonians/Albertans could care less about those Laffs. I can't stand those morons.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:30 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Hey homie!

Agreed, but after seeing the Leafs so often I've become numb to the excessive coverage. If Sundin has a hangnail, it'll be the first story on TSN. We saw the circus about Nolan's back. Personally I don't care. Next we'll hear about McCabes' relationship with his barber. The Score will run a 7 part series.

C'est la vie.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:32 PM
theoil

Quote:
Yes, Guy, but it is not clear to me why the feed comes from Sportswnet Pacific rather than Sportsnet West or shared between the two. And that idiot they have reading the sports is enough to make you turn to the Toronto Sports Network. Everytime I see him rub his hands together at the start of the show it makes me reach for the clicker. With 2 teams in Alberta and one in BC you tell me why we have to put up with this?

Old
09-22-2003, 01:33 PM
fedabiblio

The Score's got that hot chick though. Martine Gaillard or whatever her name. Now that I've just thought about her I must abort to my room to be by myself for a few minutes. Later.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:24 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedabiblio
The Score's got that hot chick though. Martine Gaillard or whatever her name. Now that I've just thought about her I must abort to my room to be by myself for a few minutes. Later.
Speaking of Martine....

Did any of you catch this episode of Martine and Greg during the summer? It was Martine's first day back from a summer break, and she was talking about how much fun she had had a golf tournament in Lloydminster with Cory Cross and Wade Redden. From there, she got to talking about how her game had significantly improved as a result of lessons she had been getting from a Golf pro known to both her and Greg. Then she comes up with the classic (but obviously inadvertant) line that went something like this. You know Greg, you, me and [the Golf instructor] should really do a THREESOME some time (i.e. she innocently extrapolated that if 4 players in a round of golf is a foursome, then three people playing a round at the same time should make a threesome).

Greg replies (and I'm pretty sure I've got it verbatim here): "Yeah, that'd be good" (smiling slightly, but trying not to bring undue attention to Martine's "faux pas"). By this time, Martine has figured out that she said something fairly hillarious but can't really do anything about it without worsening the situation. Fortunately for her though, it's close to the end of their segment. Just before the fade away, you can see both Greg and Martine about to break out into hysterical laughter...

Anyhoo. My hats off to Martine. A great sport in all senses of the word. Has to be my favourite sportscaster on TV, and I really like her segments with Sansone.

p.s. - I generally don't find the score to be nearly as Maple Leaf focused as TSN.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Everyone understands (I think) the market and business rationalle for the Toronto-centric programming. However it does not overcome the fact that both TSN and The Score bill themselves as national stations. I think TSN is even included in basic cable service across Canada.

Yes, we understand why we are inundated, ad nauseum Leaf coverage and Toronto-centric programming but the networks should make room for the national coverage of all Canadian teams if they want to be viewed as credible sports 'authorities.'

A big Shout out to Slats for venting his spleen and for letting us all share this frustration. I know somewhere deep inside my own spleen is grateful for the attention and happy for the exercise.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Chayos

[QUOTE=PineJockey]I'm with Guy. I don't get all the media bashing. The national coverage covers, gasp, the team that is most popular in the nation. C'mon, you know it's true by all of the annoying leaf fans that show up in every stadium in Canada. We all hate them, but they are everywhere. QUOTE]

I heard they have a shot for it now, and maybe someday they will come up with a cure for this pestilence that plagues Canada.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Mr Sakich

great story about martine and greg. Reminds of a clip I saw on the internet one time. This woman news anchor asks the weather reporter about his failed prediction for a big snow storm the day before. She says to him:

so john, where was that 8 inches you promised me last night?

people were leaving the set. The poor guy had to restrain himself but the entire crew is in pandemonium. The girl is laughing hysterically. After about 15 seconds, they had to cut to commercial because the guys were dying.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:51 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Martine? She's ok.

The Leafs are on TV a lot because they've got a lot of fans...

Jennifer Lopez is on TV a lot because she's got a lot of fans...

Old
09-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Slats432

OK...*****fest when it is due...credit when it is due....

TSN's lead hockey story was the Oilers and Canucks(Figured maybe disregarding two teams would be rather bad).

Although the day to day shoulder injury to Antropov got the same airtime....but hey....we were still first.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:01 AM
M00se

Quote:
OK...*****fest when it is due...credit when it is due....

TSN's lead hockey story was the Oilers and Canucks(Figured maybe disregarding two teams would be rather bad).

Although the day to day shoulder injury to Antropov got the same airtime....but hey....we were still first.

That's becasue it was the ONLY NHL game last night.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:01 AM
mudcrutch79

Thats nice that they put the Oilers and Canucks first on this occasion, but what really cheeses me off is when the Leafs are first on the 2AM edition of Sportscentre. This seems to be new this year, but its happened a lot so far. I guess they've figured out that the morning loop is the last newscast of the night before, and want to give the Leafs more coverage. Really pisses me off though.

TSN is really in the toilet these days. Leaving aside the argument that the T stands for Toronto, I'm starting to think it stands for Toughest man Sporting Network. Is there anything better to show than billiards or guys pulling tractors?

I'd be a total sportsnet convert if, as mentioned above, they had some reasonable announcers. The ones that they have are absolutely terrible, with the exception of Vance and Van Horne. Don Taylor simply sickens me with his hand rubbing and habit of adding "-ian one" to the last name of players. I know you need a gimmick but try and get one that doesn't suck. As for Loubardias and Toth, someone should tell them to shut the hell up and read the news. If I want bad Canadian comedy, I'll watch something on CBC. Oh, and I'll say it. Tell Hedger to lose the sweaters over on TSN. It's like watching a hot Mr. Rogers give the scores.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:27 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
TSN is really in the toilet these days. Leaving aside the argument that the T stands for Toronto, I'm starting to think it stands for Toughest man Sporting Network. Is there anything better to show than billiards or guys pulling tractors?

I'd be a total sportsnet convert if, as mentioned above, they had some reasonable announcers. The ones that they have are absolutely terrible, with the exception of Vance and Van Horne. Don Taylor simply sickens me with his hand rubbing and habit of adding "-ian one" to the last name of players. I know you need a gimmick but try and get one that doesn't suck. As for Loubardias and Toth, someone should tell them to shut the hell up and read the news. If I want bad Canadian comedy, I'll watch something on CBC. Oh, and I'll say it. Tell Hedger to lose the sweaters over on TSN. It's like watching a hot Mr. Rogers give the scores.
Don Taylor is a forbidden subject at my house. I...just...HATE...him. Even worse than that "-ian one" schtick of his, is his terrible Marv Albert impression whenever he calls a basketball highlight..."It WAS...a GORGEOUS...MOVE!"

I actually don't mind Loubardias, but Toth annoys me...he's one of those guys that tries to jam a million jokes and one liners into as small a time frame as possible, hoping that a couple of them hit the mark. He's good when he plays it straight, but he doesn't do funny man very well.

I like Vance/Van Horn, but that's 90% Vance and 10% Van Horn...he's OK, but duller than dirt. He's like the boring wrestler who's paired with a hot valet in order to get him over.

I'm torn on Hedger...the sweaters make her look like Mr. Rogers in drag, but she has improved a lot in the job itself. She just SUCKED at first, I mean she was out of it. Now she's passable.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Oylerz

Hey all, you should see what it's like to live near the epi-centre (anywhere in Ontario except Ottawa). Here its not just the news coverage, its every conversation at coffee break, every article in the newspaper, every ad on TV. It's just sick.

Closed Thread