HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do other fanbases view Lindy Ruff?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hmmmm I'd love to hear why
No you wouldn't. Been done on our board a thousand times. Supporters of Ruff have stated their case many times, you just disagree, which is fine.

But don't act like you haven't heard the reasons over and over. It borders between boredom and nausea. You disagree, fine, move on.

Although as I said, you wanted outside opinions (good idea). So far it seems like an overwhelming consensus (and not the answer you wanted):

Good / Great coach
Whiner
May need change of scenery

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Great coach, but I think it's time for a change in Buffalo.

SoupNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Master Radishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATT187 View Post
We'll give you AV if you give us Ruff?
Cody Hodgson begs you not to make that deal.

Master Radishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Respect. Nice to see a good coach keep his job through rough spots. As an outsider I see him at the end of his career soon. Probably on his terms. That's my perspective.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
No you wouldn't. Been done on our board a thousand times. Supporters of Ruff have stated their case many times, you just disagree, which is fine.

But don't act like you haven't heard the reasons over and over. It borders between boredom and nausea. You disagree, fine, move on.

Although as I said, you wanted outside opinions (good idea). So far it seems like an overwhelming consensus (and not the answer you wanted):

Good / Great coach
Whiner
May need change of scenery
I've never heard an actual explanation of what makes him a good coach.

I've heard excuses (he doesn't have the talent, owner situations, etc)

But I've never heard a reasoned explanation of what makes him a good coach. nothing....
Nothing about the system he runs
Nothing about his in game decisions
Nothing about his player development

NOTHING

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Christ

Lucky with regards to job security about sums it up for me. He is above average as a coach, but he is not the best coach out there by any means. Without his GM backing him he would have been fired more than once during his time in Buffalo. In any organization other than Buffalo, the first person to get the axe for a poor performance tends to be the coach, yet Ruff has managed to stick around through good times and bad. Not sure if that is a good move or not by Buffalo, as they don't seem to be doing any better (or worse) than teams who fire their coaches for failed seasons.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I've never heard an actual explanation of what makes him a good coach.

I've heard excuses (he doesn't have the talent, owner situations, etc)

But I've never heard a reasoned explanation of what makes him a good coach. nothing....
Nothing about the system he runs
Nothing about his in game decisions
Nothing about his player development

NOTHING
Pretty gray area dont you think.

What counts as an excuse and what counts as an explanation typically depends on what side of the fence you sit on.

Outside opinions (mediators, etc) can help clarify things. Your seeking outside opinions (still subjective, but less so) will help clarify the distinction between excuses and explanations in this case.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
GaryU

He must be pretty good at his job, to have kept it this long with limited success..

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

I wasn't interested in outside opinion... honestly, non Buffalo fans opinion is most likely incredibly uninformed on the subject

Old
01-31-2013, 10:03 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
He must be pretty good at his job, to have kept it this long with limited success..
3 owners and 1 GM have something to do with that.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Pretty gray area dont you think.

What counts as an excuse and what counts as an explanation typically depends on what side of the fence you sit on.

Outside opinions (mediators, etc) can help clarify things. Your seeking outside opinions (still subjective, but less so) will help clarify the distinction between excuses and explanations in this case.
So, you sit on the excuse side... got it.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Mediocre.

Perfect fit with the state of their franchise.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
HiddenInLight

Interesting to see the oppinions of fans around the league. I think the Andy Reid comparison was right on.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Jatt

Lindy translates to a flacid 'member' in my native Punjabi so there's always a few chuckles when they say his name, and no it hasn't gotten old even though it seems like he's been around in Buffalo forever.

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
The NHL's Andy Reid.
Exactly what I came to say.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Lots of debate on the Sabres board that Ruff's time in Buffalo has run it's course. Lots of people hold him in high regard as a coach (I'm not one of them) and say he'd be picked up in a heartbeat by another team (I don't doubt that).

How do other fanbases view him as a coach?
I think that he's a good coach (albeit a whiner and a cry baby) and I have no doubt that he would get another head coaching job in the NHL.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Descendent*

One of the Top 5 coaches in the league... for sure.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
elemeno89

this is a major reason as to why i dont understand some buffalo fans, and im embarrassed in a way to say that i am one because of this. he is a great coach and the flip-flop fair weather fans we have in this city choose not to see it. I would love to hear one name that would replace him and do a better job.

elemeno89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Is it just me or is he possible the whiniest coach in the NHL? seems like every time the camera's on him, he's whining to the refs. As far as his actual coaching, I think he's been so long-lived based on who he's had in net. Hasek and Miller can certainly make you look better than you may be. His firing is well past due, at some point, players stop listening. Good coach IMO though.
I believe you're thinking of the wrong coach. He's the one that constantly crosses his arms, doesn't make any line adjustments, and frantically looks upwards for a sign from God.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I've never liked him. They've always stacked that team with top end goalies. If not for that, he'd be long gone.
Pretty much. He rides Miller hard, and the quality of the entire team is noticeably worse when anyone else plays. This team, without game-breaking goaltending, is probably -- no definitely (see: Buffalo's record before the All-Star break last season) -- competing for MacKinnon/Jones. When you need one player that badly just to win a couple games and can't adjust to win without him, you're probably not a great coach.

He also just seems to have lost his fire. If the boarding hit on Kaleta happened 5 years ago, Ruff would've been fuming; instead, he acted pretty much like he didn't care. He's also made some highly questionable decisions in these first several games: benching Sulzer a whole game for one mistake while feeding Leopold minutes he's done less than nothing to earn, changing lines with 7 or 8 seconds left in OT against the Leafs and allowing them to walk into our zone unmolested and score the winning goal...

I think if the Sabres fired him, he'd be picked up pretty quickly. He's certainly not an awful coach, but it seems like he might be past his expiration date in Buffalo.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
Lindy translates to a flacid 'member' in my native Punjabi so there's always a few chuckles when they say his name, and no it hasn't gotten old even though it seems like he's been around in Buffalo forever.
haha, it never gets old for me either. Lindy Ruff, or Ruff Lindy if you will

If you look at his face during games, you can kinda see that the name fits.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Pretty much. He rides Miller hard, and the quality of the entire team is noticeably worse when anyone else plays. This team, without game-breaking goaltending, is probably -- no definitely (see: Buffalo's record before the All-Star break last season) -- competing for MacKinnon/Jones. When you need one player that badly just to win a couple games and can't adjust to win without him, you're probably not a great coach.

He also just seems to have lost his fire. If the boarding hit on Kaleta happened 5 years ago, Ruff would've been fuming; instead, he acted pretty much like he didn't care. He's also made some highly questionable decisions in these first several games: benching Sulzer a whole game for one mistake while feeding Leopold minutes he's done less than nothing to earn, changing lines with 7 or 8 seconds left in OT against the Leafs and allowing them to walk into our zone unmolested and score the winning goal...

I think if the Sabres fired him, he'd be picked up pretty quickly. He's certainly not an awful coach, but it seems like he might be past his expiration date in Buffalo.
last season it was alot more than just Miller during that 25 game stretch of mid Nov-mid Jan

Outside that stretch Buffalo played at a rate with the Rangers in points per game/winning pct.

During that stretch besides Miller being down you had 2 of ehrhoff, Regehr, Myers being out plus ennis out, plus a few other forwards and another of their top 7 defense men out were out due to injury.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
TheLegendkiller

He needs to shave that stupid ass mustache. Shave that **** man!!!

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Ass clown, and I've thought it for years. That team ain't winning nothing as long as he's their head coach.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
last season it was alot more than just Miller during that 25 game stretch of mid Nov-mid Jan

Outside that stretch Buffalo played at a rate with the Rangers in points per game/winning pct.

During that stretch besides Miller being down you had 2 of ehrhoff, Regehr, Myers being out plus ennis out, plus a few other forwards and another of their top 7 defense men out were out due to injury.
Fun fact: the last time Enroth won a game for Buffalo was in November 2011. He's winless in his last 13 starts. Ruff leans heavily on Miller. I don't see how you could watch the games and not see that. Even with 7 goals last night, they still needed Miller to make some outstanding saves to get the W. Our defense is either bad or badly coached.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote