HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do other fanbases view Lindy Ruff?

Old
03-03-2013, 04:04 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

vCash: 500
*bump*

I've noticed in a few team threads that Ruff is being mentioned as a possible replacement coach by people. As a long time Sabre fan my view on Ruff is jaded. His early success was the result of inheriting a team and prospects assembled by Muckler. He had Hasek to cover up flaws of the system. As soon as that core group, including Hasek, left, Ruff failed to reach the playoffs until the emergence of Miller, a short season and the acquisition of Briere and Drury. After he lost them, the Sabres failed to reach the playoffs.

He is a good coach for grinders and two way players, but he can't develop skilled offensive players, he tried to force guys into his system when nothing about their skill set fit. There were rumors that he didn't like vocal leaders or strong personalities, but I have no way of knowing how true that is.

I do know that the Sabres have played terrible defense the last few years, which made me question if Ruff was really a defensive coach. Outside of 1 or 2 seasons, the Sabres were not scoring powerhouses and have powerplay issues.

If I had a guy like Tavares or Huberdeau or Hall on my team, I wouldn't want Ruff anywhere near him.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:11 AM
DAChampion

Sabres management fired him to have a fall guy for the fact they can't put together a good team, but it's not Ruff's fault.

They never land good UFAs there, I can't recall them ever winning a trade, it's really unfair to expect Ruff to put a contender together.

But this happens all the time on a lot of teams. Last year the management of my team (Montreal) fired the coach midseason to assign the blame for his failings on someone else. Didn't work.

The problem with Buffalo is quite clear, it's not the coach, it's a fundamentally weak team.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Hasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Sabres management fired him to have a fall guy for the fact they can't put together a good team, but it's not Ruff's fault.

They never land good UFAs there, I can't recall them ever winning a trade, it's really unfair to expect Ruff to put a contender together.

But this happens all the time on a lot of teams. Last year the management of my team (Montreal) fired the coach midseason to assign the blame for his failings on someone else. Didn't work.

The problem with Buffalo is quite clear, it's not the coach, it's a fundamentally weak team.
-Matt Barnaby traded to the Pitt Penguins for Stu Barnes
-Alexei Tezikov traded to Washington for Joe Juneau and a 2000 4th round draft pick (Tim Preston)
-Mike Wilson traded to Florida for Rhett Warrener and a 1999 5th round draft pick (Ryan Miller)
-Cory Sarich, Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger and a 2000 3rd round draft pick traded to Tampa Bay for Chris Gratton and a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Derek Roy).
-Michal Grosek traded to Chicago Blackhawks for Doug Gilmour and Jean-Pierre Dumont
-Chris Gratton and a 4th round pick in 2004(Liam Reddox) entry draft traded to Phoenix Coyotes for Daniel Briere and a 3rd round pick in 2004(Andrej Sekera)
-Mika Noronen traded to Vancouver for 2006 2nd round pick(Jhonas Enroth)
Barrie Moore and Craig Millar to Edmonton for Miroslav Satan
Stephane Beauregard, 4th-Round Pick (Eric Daze) to Chicago for Dominik Hasek

Let me know if you need more.

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:41 AM
VladNYC

Great Coach. Very good at adapting to the type of players he has. Truly a legend.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:47 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
-Matt Barnaby traded to the Pitt Penguins for Stu Barnes
-Alexei Tezikov traded to Washington for Joe Juneau and a 2000 4th round draft pick (Tim Preston)
-Mike Wilson traded to Florida for Rhett Warrener and a 1999 5th round draft pick (Ryan Miller)
-Cory Sarich, Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger and a 2000 3rd round draft pick traded to Tampa Bay for Chris Gratton and a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Derek Roy).
-Michal Grosek traded to Chicago Blackhawks for Doug Gilmour and Jean-Pierre Dumont
-Chris Gratton and a 4th round pick in 2004(Liam Reddox) entry draft traded to Phoenix Coyotes for Daniel Briere and a 3rd round pick in 2004(Andrej Sekera)
-Mika Noronen traded to Vancouver for 2006 2nd round pick(Jhonas Enroth)
Barrie Moore and Craig Millar to Edmonton for Miroslav Satan
Stephane Beauregard, 4th-Round Pick (Eric Daze) to Chicago for Dominik Hasek

Let me know if you need more.
Seriously man, you're posting trades from 1999?

You have a grand total of S-I-X good UFA signings/trades over fourteen years?

You cast that gigantic net, and all you could come up with was getting a 36 year-old Doug Gilmore?

Is there anything positive since 2007, which is the period for which Ruff was fired?

Old
03-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Hasek

Sulzer for Gragniani
Ehrhoff for a 4th round pick
Gaustad, 4th for a 1st
Kotalik, Regehr, 2nd for Butler, Byron
3rd, 4th for Steve Bernier
Tyler Myers Trade
Hodgson-Kassian

Can you recall them winning a trade now or you need more time to process?

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:15 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Sulzer for Gragniani
Ehrhoff for a 4th round pick
Gaustad, 4th for a 1st
Kotalik, Regehr, 2nd for Butler, Byron
3rd, 4th for Steve Bernier
Tyler Myers Trade
Hodgson-Kassian

Can you recall them winning a trade now or you need more time to process?
The only one helping the current and future roster is the Tyler Myers trade. Hodgson-Kassian helps the team now but probably won't in the long-term --- run a poll in the poll thread asking people which they'd rather have.

But hey keep defending Sabres management. I notice you've also ignored their UFA non-performance.

Soon a new coach will come in, and you'll find out the record isn't that much better than it was under Ruff, it might even be worse.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Sergei Shirokov

I would kill to have him over AV.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:35 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
The only one helping the current and future roster is the Tyler Myers trade. Hodgson-Kassian helps the team now but probably won't in the long-term --- run a poll in the poll thread asking people which they'd rather have.
Hahaha this is the opposite of reality. Not even down the scale. Just opposite.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:53 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Hahaha this is the opposite of reality. Not even down the scale. Just opposite.
I know Tyler Myers has ups and downs since starting, but overall he's been more helpful over the past few years.

Ruff isn't being fired (presumably) because of this season, but because of the last few.

At the end of the day, Buffalo has a terrible roster and you can't blame Ruff for that. They had a poor season in 2012, and over the offseason the management picked up Steve Ott and John Scott Neither Sarah Palin nor Lindy Ruff can put lipstick on a pig.

At the end of the day, if you want to win games, you need to have good players, I'm surprised you're arguing against this.

I'd rather have Kassian than Hodgson on the Habs.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
IMHO one of the most overrated coaches in NHL history.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:51 AM
8BostonRocker24

1. A great coach
2. A legend
3. A man that stayed / worked too long for the same organization
4. A man that needs some time off to refocus
5. A man that I would hire as a coach if my team sucked

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:11 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Over-rated.
Cupless.
Whiner.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:14 AM
naturalnumbas

He had some good runs with Buffalo. He'll probably find work again.

I'll never forget all the times he came unhinged. (It's a joke!)

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Atas2000

He's a one system coach. Not flexible enough. He needs exactly the players for his system. Otherwise he just wastes talent.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:

But hey keep defending Sabres management. I notice you've also ignored their UFA non-performance.

Soon a new coach will come in, and you'll find out the record isn't that much better than it was under Ruff, it might even be worse.
There already is one and Hodgson is winning it 60%-40%, the only reason it was even close for awhile is due to Kassian's hot start, but like he has done throughout his entire career including juniors, he has decided to take most nights off again. He's the most inconsistent player you will ever see, I know he's young but he's been like this forever. I know you'd take Kassian on the Habs because you guys are labeled as being small and soft, Kassian maybe brings his toughness 25% of the time out there, and is useless the rest. Hodgson is in the role of a #1 center right now and is doing great, he has the potential to be a PPG center, he just has to work on his defensive game which isn't rare for a young player to have to do.

Anyways, Ruff is no Trotz or Tippett - those are coaches that are known for their perfected systems and having success with below average talent. Ruff has no real system..none of us know what it is, I call it the "depend completely on having a good goaltender system"

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-03-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Seriously man, you're posting trades from 1999?

You have a grand total of S-I-X good UFA signings/trades over fourteen years?

You cast that gigantic net, and all you could come up with was getting a 36 year-old Doug Gilmore?

Is there anything positive since 2007, which is the period for which Ruff was fired?

- Christian Ehrhoff was signed as a UFA. He's been the team's best defenseman ever since.

- Cody Hodgson trade, which has worked out wonderfully for Buffalo (19 points in 22 games)

- Roy for Ott succeeded in what it was trying to do (Change team culture), but Ruff couldn't figure out how to utilize that change and make the team tougher to play against. His system was horrible.

The Sabres couldn't manage to in 3 in a row with Ruff, but with Ron Rolston they have. STANLEY CUP, BABY!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:

Yeah, I know, trading for a future #1 center never helps an organization. ZACH KASS1an 4EVR

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
crockpot

Before the Sens hired Paul MacLean I would have taken Lindy in a heartbeat. Always liked his style. If he wants it, he'll get a job no problem.

crockpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:20 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot View Post
Before the Sens hired Paul MacLean I would have taken Lindy in a heartbeat. Always liked his style. If he wants it, he'll get a job no problem.
I wish for Detroit's sake this was the case. I miss the mustache

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Funny seeing all the posts about how Hasek saved Ruff's ass considering Hasek was the sole reason Ted Nolan was fired and Lindy Ruff was brought into power in the first place.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:59 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Because having a 1B/2A center is useless? Players like Kassian, if he pans out, are kind of a luxury item (not a necessity for building a competitive/winning team), and we have another one in Foligno anyway. You need good centers to win. Buffalo fans know this well because we've failed to be competitive since losing Drury and Briere.

The Hodgson trade is paying dividends already. Kid gives a much more consistent effort than Kassian ever has, is working on rounding out his game (defense has a ways to go, though he's made a few goal-saving plays this year to go along with his gaffs, but skating and faceoffs are improved), and appears to be having breakout year offensively. Kassian's potential is nice and he'll no doubt be a valuable player if he reaches it, but he's literally done nothing this year outside of the time he spent on a line with the Sedins.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 03-03-2013 at 11:05 AM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Funny seeing all the posts about how Hasek saved Ruff's ass considering Hasek was the sole reason Ted Nolan was fired and Lindy Ruff was brought into power in the first place.
Nolan and Muckler had issues too. Nolan seems to have issues every team he worked for.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote