HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Doug Shedden done as Leafs AHL coach??

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Is Doug Shedden done as Leafs AHL coach??

There are whispers that Mississauga IceDogs coach Greg Gilbert will leave the team after this season to coach the Maple Leafs' American Hockey League affiliate in Toronto next season. Gilbert and Leafs general manager John Ferguson worked together in the St. Louis Blues organization.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun...10/956329.html

Old
03-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Leaf Army

Interesting. Gilbert used to play for the OHL Marlies back in the day so there's also that connection.

His AHL coaching record is decent. His NHL coaching record not so much. But if I recall correctly, wasn't he very well respected in Calgary even after he was let go?

I like Shedden and I wouldn't be thrilled to see him leave if this is true. Of course, there's also the possibility that they could offer him a spot on the big club, but that's unlikely I would guess.

At any rate, the Baby Leafs don't need this kind of distraction right now.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:05 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Shedden hasnt done anything to warrant him being replaced next year. As interesting as Gilbert sounds (even as a potential Quinn replacement down the line), I dont think Id be happy if Doug wasnt in Toronto next season.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

I don't like Shedden.

I think our team is better because of the better talent that we drafted, personally.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:20 PM
VanW27

I wasn't a big Shedden fan either but you can't argue with the results he's been getting.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I don't like Shedden.

I think our team is better because of the better talent that we drafted, personally.
Greg Gilbert is said to have real strong people skills and loves working and teaching young players .. So its interesting ..

Maybe Shedden wants to stay with Frankie and coach the Fog Devils ??

Old
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Leaf Army

I think Shedden has a little bit of John Tortorella in him.

But it does drive me nuts how he mixes up the lines every game. I know a lot of coaches do that, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Find a line you like and stick with it.

Old
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Frankie

not a chance shedden coaches the marlies. i don't think he wants to.

and the fog devils have a coach, thanks very much.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Greg Gilbert is said to have real strong people skills and loves working and teaching young players .. So its interesting ..
You have to wonder (if there's any truth to this) what role Craig Button might play in such a decision as well. He's the guy who fired Gilbert in Calgary.

Old
03-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
You have to wonder (if there's any truth to this) what role Craig Button might play in such a decision as well. He's the guy who fired Gilbert in Calgary.
I believe Button was the GM in Calgary when Gilbert was the Coach .. I wonder if he was even the one that had to replace Gilbert ..

Old
03-10-2005, 10:09 PM
TML

Shedden is a tough coach who expects the best from his players, game in game out. I don't think Shedden deserves to get the axe... unless he wants to leave, then that's a totally different story. Hopefully he sticks around for another year or two.

I've never been a big Greg Gilbert fan.

Old
03-10-2005, 11:09 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
not a chance shedden coaches the marlies. i don't think he wants to.
Yes, unemployment is always fun.

Both Shedden and Gilbert are the same age and from the area... either would be a good choice for the Marlies coach. Personally, I don't like Shedden's active participation with the media and I think Gilbert could do a pretty good job with the AHL team.

Old
03-10-2005, 11:15 PM
leafaholix*

Another big YES for unemployment!

Especially for all those fringe minor league coaches out there.

Old
03-11-2005, 12:27 AM
DaveyCrockett

I think Shedden's handling of the media could be his downfall. In a place like Toronto he would cause too many ****storms.

Old
03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Another big YES for unemployment!

Especially for all those fringe minor league coaches out there.
why would he be unemployed? he'd have no problem getting a job.

fringe minor league coach? what does that mean?

Old
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Pappy

Quote:
There are whispers that Mississauga IceDogs coach Greg Gilbert will leave the team after this season to coach the Maple Leafs' American Hockey League affiliate in Toronto next season. Gilbert and Leafs general manager John Ferguson worked together in the St. Louis Blues organization.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun...10/956329.html
Makes sense to me, I've said all along that Greg Gilbert would be the next coach of the Leafs, with his ties to Ferguson and the former GM of the Flames who hired him there and is now a Pro Scout and about to become the Asst GM of the Leafs and Fergy's right hand man.

Old
03-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
I wasn't a big Shedden fan either but you can't argue with the results he's been getting.

My sentiments exactly.

Old
03-11-2005, 01:45 PM
mooseOAK*

Some people didn't like the way he publicly challenged Brendan Bell but it has worked, Bell is finally playing steadily. I think it is good to have a guy like that as an AHL coach because the players who can't handle challenges can get weeded out quickly.

Old
03-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Some people didn't like the way he publicly challenged Brendan Bell but it has worked, Bell is finally playing steadily. I think it is good to have a guy like that as an AHL coach because the players who can't handle challenges can get weeded out quickly.
Good point ..

The Leafs prospect pool is so deep it could use a good weeding out from time to time ..

What chapter is public humiliation in the Prospect Development handbook ??.

Old
03-11-2005, 02:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Good point ..

The Leafs prospect pool is so deep it could use a good weeding out from time to time ..

I'm looking for those results people are talking about>

Old
03-11-2005, 02:42 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Good point ..

I wouldn't be surprised if the depth of the defensive prospect pool was a motivator for Bell, he was likely thinking that he was no. 2 and then White and Vorobiev show up.

Public humiliation in the form of calling players out or sitting them or benching during games or sending them to the fourth line are time honored traditions in coaching. Where have you been?

Old
03-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the depth of the defensive prospect pool was a motivator for Bell, he was likely thinking that he was no. 2 and then White and Vorobiev show up.

Public humiliation in the form of calling players out or sitting them or benching during games or sending them to the fourth line are time honored traditions in coaching. Where have you been?
Vorobiev ??? Say What ???

How does a young Dman in Russia effect Bell in St. Johns ??

We are not taking about sending a message by some of the techniques your're describing .. Shedden does have a fault of wearing his heart on his sleeve and making it public knowledge in the Media ..

That tactic on a young player may backfire and may not be well received by Leaf Management either in what they would call nurturing a young player and keeping your dirty laundry behind closed doors ..

Old
03-11-2005, 03:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Vorobiev ??? Say What ???

How does a young Dman in Russia effect Bell in St. Johns ??
The obvious answer, they are both Leaf prospects and they both play the same position.

Old
03-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
The obvious answer, they are both Leaf prospects and they both play the same position.
Again I ask .. So What ??

If Bell is benched in St. Johns or disciplined by having his ice time reduced another player thousands of miles away playing in Russia has not immediate impact what so ever on the day to day life of Bell ..

Bell is already signed to the Pro contract .. Vorobiev or any other player not in St. Johns or ECHL are just unsigned prospects ...

Next NHL Training camp they could meet and compete but right now I doubt Vorobiev even knows who Bell is .. Who is to say one or the other could not be traded before either makes an attempt at the AHL.. Boyes as a prospect has been traded twice already before becoming an NHLer..

Your argument for White and ice time in St. Johns I follow but this other point you are making is quite a reach IMO .. Had you said Woz before his injury I could also have seen what you were getting at ..

Is Jeremy Williams concerned daily what is happening to Steen in the SEL or Mitchell in the OHL .. I seriously doubt it .. Why would it be any different for Bell then ??

This thread is about Shedden and his coaching style .. Bell is just a fallout of what may or may not be considered GOOD COACHING in the eyes of observers ..

Old
03-11-2005, 03:54 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Again I ask .. So What ??

If Bell is benched in St. Johns or disciplined by having his ice time reduced another player thousands of miles away playing in Russia has not immediate impact what so ever on the day to day life of Bell ..

Bell is already signed to the Pro contract .. Vorobiev or any other player not in St. Johns or ECHL are just unsigned prospects ...

Next NHL Training camp they could meet and compete but right now I doubt Vorobiev even knows who Bell is .. Who is to say one or the other could not be traded before either makes an attempt at the AHL.. Boyes as a prospect has been traded twice already before becoming an NHLer..

Your argument for White and ice time in St. Johns I follow but this other point you are making is quite a reach IMO .. Had you said Woz before his injury I could also have seen what you were getting at ..

Is Jeremy Williams concerned daily what is happening to Steen in the SEL or Mitchell in the OHL .. I seriously doubt it .. Why would it be any different for Bell then ??

This thread is about Shedden and his coaching style .. Bell is just a fallout of what may or may not be considered GOOD COACHING in the eyes of observers ..
As far as Shedden is concerned maybe what he did with Bell had to do with what was needed to get him going, not all players are the same because some just need a gentle push and some need to be slapped upside the head. The impression of Bell last season was that he was a big shot in the CHL and wasn't taking the AHL seriously Enough. That seems to have changed for the good.

As far as Vorobiev is concerned they are all competing for a job in the NHL ultimately, no matter where they playing, so guys are in effect competing with other players that they haven't even met yet and may have only seen on TV.

Closed Thread