HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
MurphyDump

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
There are any number of players in Wilkes-Barre I'd give a look at before claiming a player like Boychuk.
Who? Just curious.

There is zero harm in this move. If he doesn't work, you waive him and he'll go back to Carolina's system. Then you could still hit up WBS and try someone else. What's the harm in trying him? The WBS guys aren't going away.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
wej20

Hopefully they at least give him a full game riding shotgun with Malkin-Neal rather than yanking after a few mediocre shifts.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Will Hunting

Accoording to Shero, Boychuk could play on Saturday vs NJ. He´s a friend of Sutter and I could see his best chance next to Brandon. He could fit with him.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Jaded-Fan

Crosby: Finally. A new wing. A waiver wire pickup, but they finally gots me a new WINNNNNG!

Shero: Ummm, about that.

Crosby: What?

Shero: He is for Malkin

Crosby: You are ****ing with me, right?

Shero: No, he is for Malkin. But you still have Dupuis.

Crosby: Just because I am Canadian does not mean that I will not kick your ass.

Shero: They call him Super Duper.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Just fyi...some more info.

Tweets from our beat writer.

Quote:
Boychuk admitted he had "ample opportunity" with Canes, playing 70-plus games, from 4th line to top line.

Boychuk, on playing for Pens: "It's no different than at Carolina. There's a lot of pressure but also a lot of opportunity."

Just talked to Zach Boychuk. Said dealing with "mixed emotions." Tough to leave behind good friends & teammates, but exciting opportunity.
Quotes from Rutherford and Muller.

Quote:
"It's part of the process. We knew it might happen," general manager Jim Rutherford said Thursday. "I'm happy for him, that he's getting another chance. We had hoped that he could have cleared, that we could have kept working on his development."

"Down that left side makes it difficult (for Boychuk,)" Rutherford said. "You've got Skinner and Tlusty ahead of him and Bowman has moved ahead of him."

Asked what has kept Boychuk from becoming an NHL regular, Rutherford said: "With us, it was his consistency. We feel for him to be successful he needs to play in the top six and he just didn't get to that level with us yet."

Muller: "When you look at the type of player he is and the personnel we have, it was tough to fit him in. We just felt he was more of a guy who needs to be in the top nine (forwards). We didn't feel like that spot was here right now."

Old
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

^^^ Oh man. He's gonna BLOW IT UP...playing w/ Adams and Glass...for 2 weeks

Old
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
He'll become our Teddy Purcell or Grabner.
Hey now... let's not get crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Never give up hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I'm thinking that's what we witnessed during last year's playoffs. The entire Pens team "giving up hole" all over the ice.
You guys beat me to it. At least he still has hope even if the hole is gone from his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
This is awesome news. A smaller, less talented version of Tyler Kennedy!
No dude... he is most definitely NOT less talented than Tyler Kennedy. Whether he turns out to be a player who can stay with the team, who knows. Crap shoot. But he's not less talented / skilled based on what I'm reading. You don't get drafted 14th because you're less talented than Tyler Kennedy; you get drafted 14th because you have a very high level of skill that you've displayed at all levels to that point. Kennedy was drafted 99th.

The Golden Boychuk may never pan out but that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Three hours from now...

"Listen guys if we're at the point that we're picking up 4'11" mentally disabled alcoholics off of waivers, then I think Shero should be fired."
Post of the day. And stop exagerrating. He's 5'3" all right? Nothing wrong with that or the fact that he has herpes.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Just fyi...some more info.

Tweets from our beat writer.

Quotes from Rutherford and Muller.
Thanks for posting.

I mentioned this earlier, not that it matters but I wonder what number he will wear. I saw he used to wear #11, it's available.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
All kidding aside do you think that Boychuk even if he totally blows, means the end of Lovejoy? After all even if Boychuk blows he at least will be blowing at a position we are short on instead of blowing on defense like Lovejoy, a position we are up to the ears in.

I would rather keep the guy who blows in a position of need and see what happens than the guy who blows on defense, a position we have so much we are giving away guys who get a 4 year contract two weeks after leaving here for nothing.

They'll waive Bortuzzo and sign Lovejoy to an 8 year deal.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Saw him play with the Charlotte Checkers back at the beginning of January against the Norfolk Admirals (Pens fan here that relocated to NC long time ago). The guy has obvious skill and speed, so it'll be interesting to see where he lands for us. He's not a grinder, so I'm curious who in the organization said "OH OH OH, GRAB HIM ... GRAB HIM!"

What I find interesting is that our organization comes out and says ... "we want a physical winger for Malkin/Neal" (i.e. - Tangradi). It doesn't pan out. "Oh ... they need a right-handed sniper" (i.e. - TK). It doesn't pan out. "Oh ... let's just have an open try out of possible players going on waivers" (i.e. - Jeffrey, now Boychuk). Who is honestly running this group that we give 2 game try-outs to people for a line position? Arg.

I'd like to see Jeffrey stick on that 2nd line honestly.
I do not get the talk of putting him on Malkin's wing. Malkin has Neal as his sniper, and works best with a grinder on the other wing to get his nose dirty allowing Neal and Malkin to do their thing.

I also hear for Sutter. Really? Why? The only connection I see is Carolina. Sutter's line is the checking line. Ideally you want a defensively responsible guy who can put them in as well, a guy with some sandpaper. Does not sound like this guy at all.

The guy actually sounds like a perfect fit for Crosby. A guy who has the wheels to keep up with Crosby and theoretically can finish is something Crosby has not had often in his career. And yet you hear nothing like that.

I really am beginning to wonder if Shero or Bylsma have a clue.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Shockmaster

Glad to see they picked up another soft winger that will be easy for other teams to play against.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Who? Just curious.

There is zero harm in this move. If he doesn't work, you waive him and he'll go back to Carolina's system. Then you could still hit up WBS and try someone else. What's the harm in trying him? The WBS guys aren't going away.
At present? Since Bennet's hurt, I'd give a look at Sill, though not in a top 6 role. Maybe Payerl.

And Hell, since they've been so lifeless this season, it couldn't hurt to give a cup of coffee to a ****-stirrer like Farnham.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Crosby: Finally. A new wing. A waiver wire pickup, but they finally gots me a new WINNNNNG!

Shero: Ummm, about that.

Crosby: What?

Shero: He is for Malkin

Crosby: You are ****ing with me, right?

Shero: No, he is for Malkin. But you still have Dupuis.

Crosby: Just because I am Canadian does not mean that I will not kick your ass.

Shero: They call him Super Duper.
too funny, yet sadly true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Accoording to Shero, Boychuk could play on Saturday vs NJ. He´s a friend of Sutter and I could see his best chance next to Brandon. He could fit with him.
Ahh were bringing friends together eh? Time to bring Colby back! Wohoo thats the issue with this team! We need team happiness to rise in order to win.

Also Gonchar is going to need to pack his bags back for Pittsburgh.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
So he's officially a bust now. Is he still playing center or they move him to the wing.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
So he's officially a bust now. Is he still playing center or they move him to the wing.
No, he's not officially a bust and he will have to play wing here.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
wej20

Quote:
At present? Since Bennet's hurt, I'd give a look at Sill, though not in a top 6 role. Maybe Payerl.

And Hell, since they've been so lifeless this season, it couldn't hurt to give a cup of coffee to a ****-stirrer like Farnham.
How does calling up Sill/Farnham/Payerl fix the hole in the top 6? Kolarik and Bennett are the only two top 6 options and I'd rather call up Bennett later in the year after he's hopefully continued with his strong 1st half.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
penzweiser
Rookie User

This is why we don't draft forwards. Shero can just pick them up on waivers later ;-)

Old
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I don't have any issue with claiming Boychuk. How could you? No risk involved. I know very little about him, though. Sort of sounds like a near-bust. Oh well... hopefully one of those magical, cliched changes of scenery will do him good.

I just think it's a little sad that we're all clamoring to see how he'll do in our top six. So that's where we're at now, huh? Is there even any indication that that's where he'll be tried?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:

I really hope we see Farnham here at some point, if nothing else, he's fun to watch.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
No, he's not officially a bust and he will have to play wing here.
He's only played wing in Carolina and the AHL. He hasn't played center since Junior hockey.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

As long as we're bringing in forwards to try on the top 6, why not give Beau Bennett a shot?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:19 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:

So you would rather give two guys with 3 goals combined a chance to play in our top 6 before taking a free chance on a kid who was drafted in the 1st round, has considerable wheels and offensive skills that maybe, just maybe needs a fresh start and could mesh with Sid or Geno?

You would rather pass on that free chance and never know? A chance that costs the team nothing?

As I said before, the WBS guys aren't going anywhere. If Boychuk doesn't work out, then anyone from WBS can get a shot. Why would you pass up the opportunity to give him a 2 week tryout while Niskanen is hurt, just to bring up someone from WBS that is there anytime you want to try them?

Sorry, I disagree, it makes no sense. Yes let's pass up a free opportunity in Boychuk in order to bring up guys that can't score in the AHL, that will be there all season if we want to try them.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:19 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
As long as we're bringing in forwards to try on the top 6, why not give Beau Bennett a shot?
Injured.

Again.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
he's hurt

Old
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Injured.

Again.
Seriously? I'm beginning to worry about this aspect of the danglers. He seems fra-gi-le.

Closed Thread