HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
So someone explain to me how given the description of how he plays, smallish, skilled, quick, good wheels, could be a sniper, he fits anywhere but with Sid. He sounds like a terrible fit for Malkin or Sutter.
I swear the team feels sid is fine with two old grinders. Malkin already has neal and for some reason every other top 6 option gets tried with him. (Tangradi, Bennett, Jeffrey and now Boychuk)

It's depressing.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

So one under performing prospect on the second line wasn't enough lets grab another. The fact that he might take playing time away from DJ moves me one step towards a different opinion of leadership within the organization.

He's basically Tangradi but a lot smaller & a little faster.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
So one under performing prospect on the second line wasn't enough lets grab another. The fact that he might take playing time away from DJ moves me one step towards a different opinion of leadership within the organization.

Not really

Old
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Ya never know, change of scenery and all.

I am sure that is what Shero is thinking. But as to the opportunity he will get, who knows what DB is thinking about this move.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
That's the old CBA. The new one has special "Penguin Provisions" that allow this sort of option. Besides, I was thinking in a month or two (that's not "Recent" in Joe's book -- 2 months is like a decade in hockey player years). You didn't think all those "The Penguins are Gary's team" comments were baseless did you?

WE ARE SPECIAL.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:36 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Who is the last waiver wire pickup to even do well with the Pens?

Straka, Lang?
Craig Adams.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think Sutter could use a skilled player like Boychuk with him. I wouldn't have a problem with them trying that.

I don't see where Boychuk fits with Malkin and Neal though. Bylsma needs to put Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal. No reason to break up the best line in hockey. A line that carried this team to 108 points last regular season with Crosby M.I.A for the bulk of the year.

Dupuis can be Crosby's 3rd wheel in the short-term and try guys like Jeffrey, Tangradi, Boychuk on the other side since those guys clearly aren't working on the Malkin line.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Ya never know, change of scenery and all.

I am sure that is what Shero is thinking. But as to the opportunity he will get, who knows what DB is thinking about this move.
"Hmmm... how can I possibly play Adams and lovejoy more... Mannnn Neal at the point is pure GENIUS?!?"

Old
01-31-2013, 04:40 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:

I really don't see the harm, it's not like he will get anymore an opportunity under DB than Tangradi or DJ.

It seems like you have seen a lot of Boychuck do you see him as a better option for Sid?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think Sutter could use a skilled player like Boychuk with him. I wouldn't have a problem with them trying that.

I don't see where Boychuk fits with Malkin and Neal though. Bylsma needs to put Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal. No reason to break up the best line in hockey. A line that carried this team to 108 points last regular season with Crosby M.I.A for the bulk of the year.

Dupuis can be Crosby's 3rd wheel in the short-term and try guys like Jeffrey, Tangradi, Boychuk on the other side since those guys clearly aren't working with on the Malkin line.
If you put it that way I could be very intrigued.

Mind you this put ET up in the owners booth.

Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis
Jeffrey, Malkin, Neal
Boychuk, Sutter, Kennedy
Cooke, Vitale, Glass
Adams

For 5/7 games what could that hurt.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
"Hmmm... how can I possibly play Adams and lovejoy more... Mannnn Neal at the point is pure GENIUS?!?"
I don't mind Adams. He's a fairly mistake free player that serves a purpose. I defend Lovejoy here and there. A couple games ago people ripped him when I didn't think it was warranted for that particular game. He was pretty brutal in the last game against the Islanders though. He had two egregious turnovers and arguably should have retreated a little quicker to cover for Engelland when he starting bobbling the puck that got stolen by Grabner on the breakaway goal.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Jaded-Fan

The Good:

Boychuk may have been completely held off the scoresheet, but one positive thing about his performance this year is that both possession and scoring chances were going in Carolina's favor when he was on the ice. Boychuk actually had the highest Corsi relative rating on the team, which is a stat that measures how many shot attempts a player is creating and preventing at even strength compared to his teammates. This is something the Hurricanes have had trouble with the past couple of years and Boychuk was improving Carolina's territorial game whenever he was on the ice. Granted, this is with a very small sample size but Boychuk was able to at least get the offensive zone and keep it there for most of the time. In addition to that, he was also helping produce scoring chances when he was used in the top-six early in the year.

Boychuk also had another solid season with the Charlotte Checkers, as he led the team in goals with 21 and was third on the team in points with 44. This was a pretty big drop-off from last season but still a solid overall campaign. Those who watch the Checkers have gotten a first hand look at his play-making and goal-scoring skills and know what he can bring to the table, but the fact that he still hasn't been able to take that next step to the NHL has to be frustrating for a lot of people.

The Bad:

Having solid possession metrics are always a good thing but when you don't have any goals to show for it, then they don't mean that much. That is especially true for someone who is more known as a goal-scorer than an energy line-type player. In addition to that, Boychuk received some of the softest minutes on the team. He was regularly deployed in the offensive zone against other teams fourth lines, which is a product of him seeing limited ice-time during his first call-up.

I looked at Boychuk's shifts during the game where he was benched and noted a few problems. The first being that Boychuk was being knocked off the puck way too easily, especially when he was up against bigger opponents. Size was always Boychuk's biggest red flag in junior hockey and it has proven to be an issue with him in the NHL. He also tended to drone off and freelance whenever he didn't have the puck, which probably didn't sit well with Muller. My guess is that Muller let's players have more freedom when they have the puck, but when they don't, they have to stick to the system or they don't play. That could be the case with Boychuk. It leaves a lot of questions for this off-season about Boychuk's future with the organization.

http://www.canescountry.com/2012/5/1...s-zach-boychuk

Old
01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Why not just try the DJ/Geno/Neal combo, again? Looking past the rotten pile of dog vomit that was that game, as a whole... I thought that line (at least Jeffrey) looked alright. Or at least workable. I don't see why Boychuk should just get to slide on in there, right after being claimed.

I know I don't need to reiterate this... but none of these combinations will gain any traction if they're only left together for one game. Or one shift, more likely.

I don't know what to do with New Guy. I guess I don't really care. Hell with it... give him Kunitz's spot. Kunitz has been unbelievably terrible. This dude can't be any worse.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I swear I heard on the radio that Bylsma already said they'd try him with Malkin. Is that true? If so, gotta be nice to hear for Jeffrey

Old
01-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The Good:

Boychuk may have been completely held off the scoresheet, but one positive thing about his performance this year is that both possession and scoring chances were going in Carolina's favor when he was on the ice. Boychuk actually had the highest Corsi relative rating on the team, which is a stat that measures how many shot attempts a player is creating and preventing at even strength compared to his teammates. This is something the Hurricanes have had trouble with the past couple of years and Boychuk was improving Carolina's territorial game whenever he was on the ice. Granted, this is with a very small sample size but Boychuk was able to at least get the offensive zone and keep it there for most of the time. In addition to that, he was also helping produce scoring chances when he was used in the top-six early in the year.

Boychuk also had another solid season with the Charlotte Checkers, as he led the team in goals with 21 and was third on the team in points with 44. This was a pretty big drop-off from last season but still a solid overall campaign. Those who watch the Checkers have gotten a first hand look at his play-making and goal-scoring skills and know what he can bring to the table, but the fact that he still hasn't been able to take that next step to the NHL has to be frustrating for a lot of people.

The Bad:

Having solid possession metrics are always a good thing but when you don't have any goals to show for it, then they don't mean that much. That is especially true for someone who is more known as a goal-scorer than an energy line-type player. In addition to that, Boychuk received some of the softest minutes on the team. He was regularly deployed in the offensive zone against other teams fourth lines, which is a product of him seeing limited ice-time during his first call-up.

I looked at Boychuk's shifts during the game where he was benched and noted a few problems. The first being that Boychuk was being knocked off the puck way too easily, especially when he was up against bigger opponents. Size was always Boychuk's biggest red flag in junior hockey and it has proven to be an issue with him in the NHL. He also tended to drone off and freelance whenever he didn't have the puck, which probably didn't sit well with Muller. My guess is that Muller let's players have more freedom when they have the puck, but when they don't, they have to stick to the system or they don't play. That could be the case with Boychuk. It leaves a lot of questions for this off-season about Boychuk's future with the organization.

http://www.canescountry.com/2012/5/1...s-zach-boychuk
Thanks Jaded.

Pretty much what you would expect for a smaller player.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
If you put it that way I could be very intrigued.

Mind you this put ET up in the owners booth.

Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis
Jeffrey, Malkin, Neal
Boychuk, Sutter, Kennedy
Cooke, Vitale, Glass
Adams

For 5/7 games what could that hurt.
That line is way too soft, the third line needs more grit, not less.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Basically an attempt to replace Sullivan. Similar players.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Boychuk is newest #Pens to wear 17. Some others: Ron Schock, Rick Kehoe, Tomas Sandstrom, Tom Chorske, Toby Petersen, Petr Sykora, Mike Rupp

Old
01-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

If Boychuk gets a shot with Crosby and doesn't suck, maybe Kunitz can return to Malkin's wing since they were effective last year.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
If Boychuk gets a shot with Crosby and doesn't suck, maybe Kunitz can return to Malkin's wing since they were effective last year.
That's what I'm hoping for.

More than likely, he's back in Charlotte in a month or two, but it can't hurt to try.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Nah... Tangradi might do well in a more puck management, grind it out system. ZaBo might thrive in the Penguins up tempo style. He's an in motion player.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

What would be hilarious is claiming him, then Bylsma never putting him in the lineup.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
That's what I'm hoping for.

More than likely, he's back in Charlotte in a month or two, but it can't hurt to try.
Yeah, that would probably be the ideal (stop gap) solution, I guess.

Kunitz needs some sort of jump start. Sad as it might seem, to some... that guy is a major, major cog in the top six. When he's playing, well, like he is right now... it's going to be very evident. Especially when you consider that he gets top powerplay time, as well.

Even if the points aren't there... he needs to do all the little things he did with consistency years ago, away from the puck, that made him valuable.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

I would like to see him on the Malkin and Neal line, its fairly obvious watching the games so far this season. Teams have been trying to match their better or best defensive players with those two when they are on the ice. They are just that good together.

Maybe with the play making of Malkin, and the space that could be made with the players on ice focusing on those two he could find a way to be an effective 3rd wheel on that line.

Not going to get my hopes up, just my fingers crossed.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
That line is way too soft, the third line needs more grit, not less.
I understand that, but line #4 more than makes up for that, I hope. With how both top lines play I also hope they could have a bit of a more skill to go along with Sutters defensive pedigree.

Closed Thread