HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hockey- the anti-Thrashers

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Predators hockey- the anti-Thrashers

You know, as a former (suffering) Thrasher fan, it is interesting when you think about it- the Predators are basically the exact opposite of the Thrashers. The Thrashers never had a problem scoring goals, but almost always were near the bottom of the league in goals and shots against.

Once upon a time we had one of the most exciting up and coming teams in the NHL with a young Kovalchuk and Heatley (and later Hossa and Kovalchuk), and still never put a team on the ice as successful as most any Predators year.

Thinking back, watching 11 years of horrible defensive hockey, I clearly remember saying many, many times after watching night after night, year after year, of no defense and no goaltending, that I would ďLOVE TO HAVE A TEAM THAT COULD PLAY SOME DEFENSE- I donít care how many goals we can scoreĒ.

But I have to say, watching 11 and 13 shots on goal for entire games may be even worse than a high scoring team with no defense.

If you could magically combine the Predators and Thrashers franchises, you might just get a Cup contender out of it.

I sometimes think us former Thrashers fans are cursed- 11 years of misery watching the Thrashers, with good offense and no defense, and now we pull for a team that has no offense and good defense. Canít we get a little of both????????

Having said all of that, it really brings home the point of how much us Thrashers fans had to suffer. Just listen to the doom and gloom going on around the Predators right now- in reality, the Preds have been one of the MOST successful teams the past 8-10 years.

So for the long time Preds fans who are frustrated and pessimistic right now (and rightly so, donít get me wrong), just imagine if during the past ELEVEN seasons, you had 1 playoff appearance, ZERO playoff wins, and TWO 40 win seasons. (Preds have 7 straight 40 win seasons going). I am still so bitter about that every time I think about it- no fan base deserves that kind of abuse.

Point is, things could be much, much, much worse for the Predators.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We don't need the Thrashers offensive, we need the offense that played last season up until the trade deadline.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
predfan24

Yeah, right now it is bad there is no doubt about that but you can't really compare the Thrashers and Preds to such extremes because while the Preds have been a Defense first type of team for the better part of a half decade now they have succeeded whereas the Thrashers always crashed and burned.

Your right things could always be worse. I just think Preds fans have watched some boring not great offensively teams in recent history and the start of this season has brought back memories of those nightmares.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Gotta say I really appreciate the Thrash contingent here. I was just wondering whether or not it was time for my semiregular "you spoiled kids know nothing of true suffering" rant.

Bad seasons happen to good teams. It'll get better.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Gotta say I really appreciate the Thrash contingent here. I was just wondering whether or not it was time for my semiregular "you spoiled kids know nothing of true suffering" rant.

Bad seasons happen to good teams. It'll get better.
Just wanted to make sure my post isnít misunderstood- I wasnít trying to say that the Preds and Thrashers are in any way similar franchises. The Predators franchise is what the Thrashers SHOULD HAVE BEEN if it had been run correctly.

Also was not trying to act like I was lecturing Preds fans about being spoiled- I am one of you now so I would just be lecturing myself because I am just as frustrated as everyone else.

Just trying to point out the extremes between the two from Thrashers fans perspective- we went from great offense/no defense to just the opposite this year.

I guess its way past time to let go of the bitterness about the Thrashers situation, and how the fan base was completely screwed over, but it is very hard.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Nitrous Mafia

in 06/07 the preds were 5th in the league in total goals for. they weren't always offensively horriawful.

edit: and the thrash were 16th

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Drake744
#HeyHeyPekkaRinne

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
in 06/07 the preds were 5th in the league in total goals for. they weren't always offensively horriawful.

edit: and the thrash were 16th
We were 8th last year. Somehow.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
We were 8th last year. Somehow.
The 98 Million Dollar Man