HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Concussions and Training

Old
01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
Concussions and Training

I suffered a concussion on Monday. I went to the hospital and the doctor told me to take a couple days to a full week off from doing anything. He told me to gradually increase my activity and if I didn't feel right then to go back down to where I felt right and start again. My question is to others who have had concussions (or anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject). When can I start skating again? I've been skating about 4 times a week this season including power skating once a week. I'm thinking of going for a light skate this Friday if I am feeling better. What do you think? Also I am supposed to start weight training with a buddy of mine. When do you think I should start? If it helps I am 24.

Thanks for any help. And remember ALWAYS wear a helmet when on the ice. You can lose an edge, the ice condition might be crap or maybe you bump into someone and suffer a concussion! I always cringed when I saw children on the ice without a helmet.. now I'm going to set the example and wear one myself!

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Don't start exercising normally until you are symptom free in your day to day activities. Try light exercise and see how that makes you feel. If it makes you feel like crap stop and try again in a couple of days. Don't rush into anything. I've known a number of players who have had to hang up their skates because of concussions.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How did you get concussed? Did you black out or see stars at all?

Good advice above. You should feel back to normal just day-to-day before exercising. Start with very easy things like walking first. And everything else Forbs said.

But don't get too discouraged, keep a good attitude. If need be, find something else to focus on. Concussions can seem awful for weeks (or months) and then heal up quickly. Most people seem to recover within a week or two unless they are really, really bad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
When can I start skating again? I've been skating about 4 times a week this season including power skating once a week. I'm thinking of going for a light skate this Friday if I am feeling better. What do you think? Also I am supposed to start weight training with a buddy of mine. When do you think I should start? If it helps I am 24.
There is no correct/cover all answer for any of these questions. The answers is a case-by-case basis.

My advice: Err on the cautious side. Would an extra couple days after you THINK you are ready be that bad of a wait?

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How did you get concussed? Did you black out or see stars at all?
I was skating and I either lost an edge and hit the boards/ice hard or I was skating towards the boards hard to do a power stop and near the boards the ice was crappy and I went to close and flew into the boards/ice. Those are my best guesses because to be honest I don't know what happened. I can't remember how it happened exactly. I remember being on the ice and my cousin coming over extending his arm to help me up. I said I didn't need it tried to get up but couldn't. After he helped me up I don't know what happened. I know I made it to the dressing room on my own and I vaguely remember going back to the ice. No one helped me to the dressing room so I know this was under my own power but I don't remember it. When I "snapped" out of it I had my hands on my head in the dressing room and everyone else was getting their skates off. I then remember everything since and everything before. Just that 15 minutes I can't account for. Also when I left the room everything looked different like it was all out of place.. very strange feeling.

I went for a walk today and felt great afterwards, my head is still aching but not as bad as yesterday. Everything still seems slower like when I pick something up (a cup for example). Very hard to explain. I got my dad to drive me somewhere and I did not feel good at all in the bumpy car ride. I'll see what tomorrow brings. I am still hoping to go for a light skate on Friday.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I was skating and I either lost an edge and hit the boards/ice hard or I was skating towards the boards hard to do a power stop and near the boards the ice was crappy and I went to close and flew into the boards/ice. Those are my best guesses because to be honest I don't know what happened. I can't remember how it happened exactly. I remember being on the ice and my cousin coming over extending his arm to help me up. I said I didn't need it tried to get up but couldn't. After he helped me up I don't know what happened. I know I made it to the dressing room on my own and I vaguely remember going back to the ice. No one helped me to the dressing room so I know this was under my own power but I don't remember it. When I "snapped" out of it I had my hands on my head in the dressing room and everyone else was getting their skates off. I then remember everything since and everything before. Just that 15 minutes I can't account for. Also when I left the room everything looked different like it was all out of place.. very strange feeling.

I went for a walk today and felt great afterwards, my head is still aching but not as bad as yesterday. Everything still seems slower like when I pick something up (a cup for example). Very hard to explain. I got my dad to drive me somewhere and I did not feel good at all in the bumpy car ride. I'll see what tomorrow brings. I am still hoping to go for a light skate on Friday.
you head still aching is the first sign you need to stop.

trust me when i say concussions are not something you take lightly. i received my one (and thankfully only) concussion from a sucker punch on the ice. i remember everything but as soon as i got up something felt off. i went to the doctor and went thought their concussion testing and was diagnosed with a "minor" one. i was told explicitly to rest for at least a week and then get re-evaluated.

now that week was one of the most up and down of my life, there were days i couldnt get out of bed and was sleeping all day, days were i would feel on top of the world and feel cured, and some where i could go to one class and then after i had to sleep.

i was also told not to do any extra exercise until i had been symptom free for a week. and a symptom is a headache.

my advice, do what your body tell you. if your tired/have a headache sleep, eat right, and dont rush ANYTHING. go to a doctor, and do the testing. and dont even think of training until the doctor gives you the ok. its not worth the risk of further injury

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Don't do anything until you feel 100%. If you've got a bad head ache that is a clear sign that you are not okay. Concussions take time. I suffered a mild concussion and felt 'out of it' for two weeks. Once I started feeling better I went back out on the ice and felt like I was going to puke after a short while. Just take it easy until you are feeling great.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Ricky Bobby

Don't play any sports where you might encounter potential contact till your completely symptom free for AT LEAST a week. This includes even recreational hockey.

Concussions have a multplier effect where if you`ve already got a concussion and suffer another the effect is multplied drastically.

Feel free to presume doing some activity after you feel okay for a few days but think things like going on the bike extremely lightly or just going for walks. If you feel very fatigued their is a good chance you`ve still got symptoms. If you want to do weights think very very light toning initially and be careful with activities that use the upper back, neck area (i.e. pushups) as it puts additional stain on that area.

You might think your alright because concussions can be deceiving in the sense that if your not doing anything or laying in the dark you'll feel fine. Then as soon as you try to do something that requires exertion, concentration, rapidly processing, etc you`ll just feel off.

Family doctors (MDs) also as a general rule have very little knowledge about brain injuries as it isn't their speciality. It sounds to me like you just got the standard answer of take care of yourself and be careful.

Ultimately you`re the only who knows how you feel and if your suffering from a concussion you`ll most likely feel a combination of a little drunk well hung over at the same time.

Don`t ever think your tough and can just work through a concussion. It`s the stupiest thing you could!

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 01-31-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Ricky Bobby

From having had my own concussion issues this is one of the better resources I`ve found. Pat Lafontaine does an an absolutely amazing speech on his concussion experiences on that site.

http://www.brainline.org/landing_pages/Basics.html

I just read your 2nd post. Not remembering things is a major sign to be careful. Feeling nausea, unbalanced from speed bumps is also another sign as your equlibrium is probably thrown off.

One of the hardest things with concussions can be that you fool yourself into thinking your okay. I suffered a Grade 3 concussion from a car accident that I`m still suffering from 16 months later and for months convinced myself that I wasn`t that bad and would be back playing hockey next week, then month, then a few months and painfully I finally accepted hockey wasn`t in the cards for me for a few years.

Just remember not all symptoms necessarily reveal themselves right away so your probably a terrible judge of where your actually at.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
SCritical

Listen to your doctor, first and formost.

Concussions are all different. I had one where I went back to training within a week with no problems. I had another one that messed me up for weeks. But each concussion I've had has taken progressively longer to recover from. .

I'm not a doctor so I wont tell you when to go back, but I will tell you that going back because you don't want to miss out or in the name of fighting through it or sucking it up is not worth it. A concussion on top of a concussion is makes things so mch worse. there are too many young people who can never play hockey again because of too many concussions.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Wait till you're symptom free and then wait another week. Gotta make sure you're absolutely 100% before you start to exercise again or you will end up having to start the process all over again.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
TMLOBI

Thanks for the input. I am feeling great right now but I am going to pass on skating. It hurts to do so but I've done some reading and on here and most agree to wait until you're symptom free for one week. I am going to do that and add a couple extra days after to make sure I'm good to go. My long term health is more important than any short term gains I may make or lose.

This does suck though! So I advise everyone when you're on the ice be it pleasure skating or shinny, wear a helmet! I don't care if you are as skilled as an NHLER or a beginner accidents will happen and on the ice they are multiplied!