HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI] Brian Strait signs 3-year extension ($775k cap hit, one-way)

Old
01-31-2013, 03:29 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
worst case secenario he's a solid #6/#7 for the next 3 years.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Isn't it a little too quick?

I mean the money is very cheap, but what has he played five or six NHL games?
18 NHL games, but your point remains.

However, the Islanders look set to keep him in the top 4 all season long, and if he plays the full season in the top 4 (even with the shortened season), he'd likely be looking for more than bottom pairing money. Locking him up now allows the team to pay him like a bottom pairing Dman for the next few seasons. Which means, if all he turns out to be is a bottom pairing guy, then the contract is fine, and if he turns out to be a legit top 4 guy, it becomes a great deal. Even if he only becomes a #7, he'd be overpaid by maybe 100k, which is pretty much nothing in terms of NHL payrolls.

Absolute worst case scenario, his play drops off so far that he needs to be bought out this summer, which would mean we have to pay him about $260k for 6 years, which is still pretty negligible. Even with the small sample size, the risk of that seems rather low, and I can definitely understand the Islanders being comfortable with that risk.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Congrats to Strait. This reminds me of the Andrew MacDonald's current contract and Frans Nielsen's previous contract. Isles gave MacDonald the security of a 4 yr deal, after only 40 or so nhl games and he signed on the cheap.

They also got Frans Nielsen to sign a 4 yr/$550,000 per deal, by giving him the security on a multi yr deal.
Hopefully, Strait works out as well.
this....

Kid has been more than solid for us.....He plays such a sound game and is in the right position at the right time....

He wont give you much offense if any but you wont be hearing that he cost you anything either....He has been a pleasent suprise and I cant argue with the signing...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Dan-o16

Brian Strait doesn't have the skill of Andrew MacDonald, but he's good and safe. This is not a scary deal.

This is hardly a blind deal. The Islanders coaching staff has seen whole lot of Brian Strait over the last few years.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
worst case secenario he's a solid #6/#7 for the next 3 years.

Well, worst case scenerio is that he's a bust who gets benched or waived. Waste of $775K. Still no big deal. This contract is an investment. They believe they have a usable player, a decent asset, and they chose to lock him up at what they believe is a below market price. If they're right, they have a bargain. If they're wrong, small loss, move on. This is good asset management.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 650
Good for Strait, and also very little risk involved for the Isles. At worst, they've locked up a solid bottom pairing guy for the next three years.

Still not happy the Pens let him go instead of Lovejoy, but I'm being a broken record here.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:13 PM
gordie

These are the type of meaningless moves bad organizations show paying fans we aren't as stupid as you think we are. Strait will be looking for employment in Europe before long because that's the type of hockey his game is most suited for, not the NHL.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

You could tell during his Pens call-ups that he was an NHL player. The only game he looked overwhelmed in was his first against Washington in early 2011. He got called up to fill in for Goligoski after he was traded for Neal/Niskanen and looked like a deer in the headlights that night but he was rock solid in all his call-ups after that. Very happy for the kid.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
DoubleA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This deal is pretty laughable. I guess 6 games gets you 3yr 1-way contract now. Ridiculous.
Not nearly as ridiculous as Matt Gilroy's first contract of 2 years at 1.75 per with 0 pro games

DoubleA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Jester9881

It's only been a handful of games, but lets not pretend that the Islanders staff haven't seen him play a ton. These are the types of threads that get bumped after a couple seasons. Hating on the Islanders for signing a kid to a 3 year deal at under 1m?

At worst, he will be the #7 guy..... now look at what the Islanders trotted out there as the #5-6-7-8 the last few years. This was a good signing.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
No Need To Vanek

Kinda iffy on this, but he looks good so far. Good value.

No Need To Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
It's only been a handful of games, but lets not pretend that the Islanders staff haven't seen him play a ton. These are the types of threads that get bumped after a couple seasons. Hating on the Islanders for signing a kid to a 3 year deal at under 1m?

At worst, he will be the #7 guy..... now look at what the Islanders trotted out there as the #5-6-7-8 the last few years. This was a good signing.
Yep. He's only getting 7th D-Man money and may (I think likely) will develop into something more than a 7th D-Man. This deal is at worst fair and will at best be a bargain.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by rko920 View Post
Kinda iffy on this, but he looks good so far. Good value.
Worked with MacDonald and Nielsen but didn't work with Gervais (for long term low salary deals) and Gervais didn't work but was given unreal amounts of ice time. If Strait falters he is press box bound or waived. Big whoop. If he plays like he is now then this is a bargain.

Good deal by Garth.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
stug*

Funny with a Streit - Strait defense par.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Worked with MacDonald and Nielsen but didn't work with Gervais (for long term low salary deals) and Gervais didn't work but was given unreal amounts of ice time. If Strait falters he is press box bound or waived. Big whoop. If he plays like he is now then this is a bargain.

Good deal by Garth.
Yup. It's a low-risk, medium/high reward move. Snow is pretty good with contracts, at least when Wang isn't trying to play GM

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
The Islanders need legit NHL defensemen and Strait has proved to be one so far, good job Garth.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:10 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Good for Strait and the Isles

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:25 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

I'm glad for the guy. Good deal.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:26 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Please make a rule on max waiver claims a year, all I ask.
As long as we have a rule on how many free agents a team can sign each year. The way i see it that is no different, waived players are virtually free agents. A rule I would like to see is that if a team picks up a player on waivers they cant cut a different player they received on waivers earlier in the year to make room for the new guy.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Good for Brian and good for the Islanders.

Still pisses me off we kept Lovejoy over Strait, but Strait wasn't going to be a Penguin after this season anyway (would have been eligible for Group VI free agency based on lack of games played at his age and he had no reason to re-sign in Pittsburgh) and I'm happy to see him get actually decent minutes to show what he can do in Long Island. He's got very limited upside, but he's such a sound player that it doesn't really matter...the guy was a guarantee to be a #6 defender in the league in my eyes.

Poor Bortuzzo...valued as the better of the two defenders...and all that gets him is an essential one-way ticket to the press box as the #8 defender.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Good signing.

02-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Good signing, I thought it was going to be more dire, really.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Good signing, I thought it was going to be more dire, really.
I don't see how that has any Bering on the situation.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Abraham85

Cheap contract for a solid player. Even if he turns into Freddy Meyer V it's not like we spent huge amounts of money on him.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
NuxFan09

Lol, I love how the Islanders pick up a depth defenseman off waivers and then sign him to a 3 year contract.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote