HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Huge upset sweeps

Old
08-19-2007, 04:42 AM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

vCash: 500
Huge upset sweeps

We see huge upsets a couple times a year, usually.

We see sweeps usually at least three times a year.

But we don't see major upsets in the form of a sweep all that often. The last one was Detroit in 2003 vs. Anaheim.

Before that I know Ottawa took it on the chin from Buffalo in 1999 and Toronto in 2001.

Other than that, I can't think of any other occurrence.

Are there any other instances since the first round was lengthened to 7 games in 1987, of a (pre-1994) division leader or (1994-present) top-2 seed being swept in round 1?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Raoul Duke*

Not a sweep, but how about the job the Oilers did on Anaheim last year?
Any expert worth their weight would have had the Oilers go out with ease vs. San Jose. Let alone what they did to the Ducks.

Nobody will every understand this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il0Tdqn81dk

The entire city erupted. And I'm not exaggerating - the ENTIRE CITY. I ran out on my balcony, 18 floors up - and people were yelling, screaming all over Edmonton. It was wild, cars honking, people screaming murder.... it didn't matter. The Oilers were off the the finals, and to hell with everyone else.
Again, I honestly don't think anyone will ever understand it, unless they were here in Edmonton. 3,4, 8 hours later, it was still as wild as it was at the end of that buzzer.

The Ducks sweep of the Red Wings is one for the ages though.

Last edited by Raoul Duke*: 08-19-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:04 AM
reckoning

1993 had two big ones:

Buffalo (86 pts, 8th in the East) over Boston (109 points, 2nd in the East):

This one was even more shocking because Buffalo ended the season on a 7 game losing streak while Boston finished with a 8 game winning streak. Also, the Sabres hadn't won a playoff series in 12 years. Nobody predicted this one.

St. Louis (85 pts, 8th in the West) over Chicago (106 pts, 1st in the West)

Chicago was the consensus pick to represent the conference in the Final that year. But Curtis Joseph stole the series.

There were also some memorable 3-0 first round upsets:

1981: Edmonton (74 pts) over Montreal (103 pts):

The Oilers had really started to roll near the end of the regular season, but nobody picked them to beat Montreal, let alone blow them out.

1983: Buffalo ( 89 pts) over Montreal (98 pts):

Not a huge point differential, but shocking because Montreal had the 2nd best offence in the league that year, but were completely shutdown in this series (0 goals in the first two games, 2 in the third)

1984: Montreal (75 pts) over Boston (104 pts):

The Bruin fans had high hopes that year, but Jacques Lemaire had a plan and the Habs carried it out perfectly. In his book, Larry Robinson said that he'll never forget the looks on the Bruin players faces during the post-game handshakes: they were shellshocked.

Last edited by reckoning: 08-19-2007 at 10:51 AM.
reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
The Thomas J.*

one that comes to mind for me is 98' 8th seeded oilers stunning #1 seeded Dallas, I think it was a 5 or 6 game series.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
FissionFire

Maybe not an upset of epic levels, but the Devils sweep of the Bowman-led Wings in the 1995 Finals sure wasn't something I expected.

08-19-2007, 08:01 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Maybe not an upset of epic levels, but the Devils sweep of the Bowman-led Wings in the 1995 Finals sure wasn't something I expected.
True, most everyone had the Wings favored

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 01:16 AM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
one that comes to mind for me is 98' 8th seeded oilers stunning #1 seeded Dallas, I think it was a 5 or 6 game series.
I'm pretty sure the Oil only took out Dallas once, and that was 1997, in game 7 OT.

Old
08-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Al Bundy*

vCash:
The Blues sweep was WAY Worse for these reasons:

1. I personally did not have the Bruins getting out of the division; the surprising Quebec Nordiques was my choice.

2. Buffalo DID have lethal weapons in LaFontaine, Mogilny and Hawerchuk capable of putting up enough points: the Blues were basically Hull and Joseph.

3. This annoying divisional format was why I sometimes hated playoff hockey: There are teams unworthy of the Cup that get lucky.

Anyone who remembers that season will probably say the Blues were not worthy of going far. Not only that, but I always seem to hate Cujo because of the teams he joins and beats in the playoffs.

Also, it was a bad ending to a great season: That was a fun, fun season, yet the Habs won.

Do you think David Volek deserves an honorary ring for his huge role?

I am not a believer in this Patrick Roy invincibility in 1993- Quite frankly, I don't believe Roy was THAT great that year- He wasn't giving up so few goals and did not have to make tons of overtime saves.

By the way, what is this Larry Robinson book that was mentioned in this topic as well as my "Mediocre Cinderellas" thread?

Al Bundy

Old
08-20-2007, 09:59 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
By the way, what is this Larry Robinson book that was mentioned in this topic as well as my "Mediocre Cinderellas" thread?

Al Bundy
The book is called "Robinson For The Defence" and was released around `89. Larry Robinson is one of the most intelligent people involved in the game, and his book gives a lot of insight into the hab teams of the 70s and 80s. I'd rate it as one of my top 5 favourite hockey books ever, which is probably why i reference it so often here.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
The Blues sweep was WAY Worse for these reasons:

1. I personally did not have the Bruins getting out of the division; the surprising Quebec Nordiques was my choice.

2. Buffalo DID have lethal weapons in LaFontaine, Mogilny and Hawerchuk capable of putting up enough points: the Blues were basically Hull and Joseph.

3. This annoying divisional format was why I sometimes hated playoff hockey: There are teams unworthy of the Cup that get lucky.

Anyone who remembers that season will probably say the Blues were not worthy of going far. Not only that, but I always seem to hate Cujo because of the teams he joins and beats in the playoffs.

Also, it was a bad ending to a great season: That was a fun, fun season, yet the Habs won.

Do you think David Volek deserves an honorary ring for his huge role?

I am not a believer in this Patrick Roy invincibility in 1993- Quite frankly, I don't believe Roy was THAT great that year- He wasn't giving up so few goals and did not have to make tons of overtime saves.

Al Bundy
Volek, a ring? Ha! I want to go back in time and make the puck bounce off his stick! He deprived us of what could have been the most intriguing matchup of the 90's - Mario vs. Patrick.

And yes, he was invincible that year. You wanna see something interesting? Go look up all his OT games in his career, add up the time he played in OT, and the goals he let in. That'll give you his career OT GAA. check the same for other greats like Belfour, Hasek, and Brodeur... you'll see.

Old
08-20-2007, 03:33 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
On the flipside, many had the big bad Flyers running roughshod over the Wings in the '97 Finals.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
And yes, he was invincible that year. You wanna see something interesting? Go look up all his OT games in his career, add up the time he played in OT, and the goals he let in. That'll give you his career OT GAA. check the same for other greats like Belfour, Hasek, and Brodeur... you'll see.
After reading this, I took it upon myself to actually calculate Roy's career OT GAA, although for playoff games only.

Results (barring any calculation errors):

OT games: 55
W: 37
L: 18
GA: 18
Minutes Played: 606.9667
GAA: 1.77934

Unfortunately, I didn't do the same for the others you listed, but I suspect Roy's is lower than all of them, save for maybe Hasek's.

A special thanks to Dr.No for actually publishing the data (Roy's game logs) on his site.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
JonathanK
McOptimistic

didn't the ducks sweep the wings the first year they went to the finals?
correct me if i'm wrong but if my memory is good that's a huge one

JonathanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 11:29 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
After reading this, I took it upon myself to actually calculate Roy's career OT GAA, although for playoff games only.

Unfortunately, I didn't do the same for the others you listed, but I suspect Roy's is lower than all of them, save for maybe Hasek's.

A special thanks to Dr.No for actually publishing the data (Roy's game logs) on his site.
Thanks for doing this. I did these calculations way back when Roy was still playing. I think it went up a little bit (might have been as low as 1.60 at the time) - IIRC, Belfour was sitting around 1.9, Hasek 2.0 (and he hasn't played much OT since then), and Brodeur closer to 2.2, (and his OT record is mediocre since then.)

Anyway, point is, Roy rocks.

Old
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFJK View Post
didn't the ducks sweep the wings the first year they went to the finals?
correct me if i'm wrong but if my memory is good that's a huge one
Yep. That was why I mentioned it in the first post!

Old
08-21-2007, 12:01 AM
JonathanK
McOptimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Yep. That was why I mentioned it in the first post!
sorry haha
i missed that
that the only one in my memory that really sticks out as i was only 10 at that time

JonathanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:04 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

well, I guess we have another one to add to the list.

Old
04-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Big Phil

The Hawks and Preds from this year was mind boggling. It really was just flat out embarrassing. You can live with losing to a team like the 1993 Sabres with Lafontaine, Mogilny and Hawerchuk. It makes a little sense at least even though no one predicted that one either. But the thing with the Hawks was that they were champions three times over the past 7 years. They had the pedigree to prevent this type of thing from happening. As did the 2003 Red Wings. This just should never happen to Cup winning teams in recent years, they should know better.

Here is one: the Flyers losing to Detroit in 1997. Look, I had my reservations about Lindros and the Flyers overall as it was. I felt the winner was going to come out of that Western final anyway. But maybe a 6 game series, not a sweep.

Obviously the Pens being swept by Boston comes to mind in 2013, although it was in the semis. I mean, if you were told this would happen and that all of the Pens star players would be pointless would you make that bet?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:54 PM
ChrisK97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The Pens being swept by Boston comes to mind in 2013, although it was in the semis. I mean, if you were told this would happen and that all of the Pens star players would be pointless would you make that bet?
That series was moreso an offensive meltdown by the Penguins.

I thought Tomas Vokoun had a decent series and he really deserved a better fate- if you take out the 3 goal 1st period in game 2, he actually played pretty well for most of that series. Gave up 6 goals combined in the other 3 games outside that bad 1st period in game 2.

I mean, he only allowed 3 goals in the 2 games in Boston- you'd think with him trying to keep them in it, at worst they might have headed back to Pittsburgh for a game 5. He damn near stole game 3 double OT in Boston- he did the best he could to carry Pittsburgh by himself. Alas, the Pens offense completely and utterly betrayed him.

They had a OT PP in game 3- I mean, just ONE measly point by the Pens' big guns and maybe stealing a game in Boston and cutting it to 2-1 and who knows?

That series felt to me after the first two games like it was gonna be Bruins in 5-6, not 4. but

Last edited by ChrisK97: 04-21-2017 at 08:00 PM.
ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post

Roy was 40-18 in OT, so you seem to have missed 3 games that he won.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The Hawks and Preds from this year was mind boggling. It really was just flat out embarrassing. You can live with losing to a team like the 1993 Sabres with Lafontaine, Mogilny and Hawerchuk. It makes a little sense at least even though no one predicted that one either. But the thing with the Hawks was that they were champions three times over the past 7 years. They had the pedigree to prevent this type of thing from happening. As did the 2003 Red Wings. This just should never happen to Cup winning teams in recent years, they should know better.
In defense of the 2003 Red Wings, that series had multiple overtime games and Anaheim did steamroll into the finals. Losing in game 7.

A loss is a loss. But at least they were competitive and had won it all the year before.

Time will tell about Nashville-Chicago as well. But as for now, it doesn't look all that good for Chicago. Especially after they just were embarrassed.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
well, I guess we have another one to add to the list.
I was just thinking the same thing and considered starting a thread. What a way for Chicago to go out!

The 03 DRW comparison is obvious. A near dynasty team adds a shining star (Zetterberg vs. Panarin, even it's his 2nd year) only to be completely stifled by stingy defense and a hot keeper.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 03:11 PM
ChrisK97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I was just thinking the same thing and considered starting a thread. What a way for Chicago to go out!

The 03 DRW comparison is obvious. A near dynasty team adds a shining star (Zetterberg vs. Panarin, even it's his 2nd year) only to be completely stifled by stingy defense and a hot keeper.
This sweep was more stingy defense- Rinne actually allowed fewer goals than Giguere in that series (3 goals to 6), but wasn't putting on superhuman displays ala Giguere's 63 save triple OT game 1.

ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Weissy Baby

The Best Teams to Ever Be Swept

Inspired by the Chicago Blackhawks recent failure to win a game in their recent series against Nashville, who do you consider the best team to ever be swept during the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

My two suggestions are the 2002-03 Detroit Red Wings who were upset by J.S Giguere, and Mighty Ducks, the 1994-95 Red Wings who were swept by the New Jersey Devils. I'm sure there were some great teams that were swept by dynasties such as the 1980's Oilers, 1970's Canadiens, etc.

Weissy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 06:19 PM
tjcurrie

Right away off the top of my head of the ones from my day

1994-95 Detroit Red Wings (Stanley Cup Final - New Jersey)
1991-92 Chicago Blackhawks (Stanley Cup Final - Pittsburgh)
1987-88 Calgary Flames (Smythe Division Final - Edmonton)
1982-83 Edmonton oilers (Stanley Cup Final - NY Islanders)

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote