HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Does anyone know where Messier's stick landed during the 1984 Cup celebration?

Old
05-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Does anyone know where Messier's stick landed during the 1984 Cup celebration?

The first Cup the Oilers won in 1984 is always a celebration I enjoy watching. The countdown is so entertaining. Gretzky and Messier are on the ice for the final seconds and as the clock winds down Messier is looking in the crowd pumping his fists possibly looking at a family member or maybe just the fans in general. Anyway, I always wondered what happened to his stick. He flung it out of his hands pretty wildly and it flew through the air. I've always wondered where that stick landed. Any theories?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 01:46 PM
invictus

trajectory-wise, I don't think it even cleared the glass on the other side. I bet it landed somewhere between the far-side face-off dot and the goal line.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 05:23 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

I think the safe bet is that it flew 150+ miles and hit a Calgary Flames defenseman in the face.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 07:08 PM
blogofmike

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
trajectory-wise, I don't think it even cleared the glass on the other side. I bet it landed somewhere between the far-side face-off dot and the goal line.
Hard to say. It had some serious air time. Messier was actually careless at that point because that was seriously close to clearing the glass and hitting a fan that wouldn't have seen that coming but instead watching the Oilers jump off the bench. Or it could have hit an Islander........

Old
05-03-2015, 11:32 PM
The Panther

I don't know where it is in the clip, but Messier's dad (Doug Messier) and mom had season-tickets in a certain section of the Coliseum near one corner, about 6 rows from the glass. He may been trying to throw the stick to one of them...?

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931

Something like this?

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Supreme King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The first Cup the Oilers won in 1984 is always a celebration I enjoy watching. The countdown is so entertaining. Gretzky and Messier are on the ice for the final seconds and as the clock winds down Messier is looking in the crowd pumping his fists possibly looking at a family member or maybe just the fans in general. Anyway, I always wondered what happened to his stick. He flung it out of his hands pretty wildly and it flew through the air. I've always wondered where that stick landed. Any theories?
That Could Have Seriously Injured Someone, No Doubt About It. Wow, A Young Mark Messier. He Was A Run Away Train In The '84 Playoffs. From His Demolition Derby In Game 7 Vs The Flames To His Superb Two Way Play Against The Islanders, What Marvelous Hockey He Played.

Supreme King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 04:16 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme King View Post
That Could Have Seriously Injured Someone, No Doubt About It. Wow, A Young Mark Messier. He Was A Run Away Train In The '84 Playoffs. From His Demolition Derby In Game 7 Vs The Flames To His Superb Two Way Play Against The Islanders, What Marvelous Hockey He Played.
Indeed. He was also a runaway train the year before. In '83 he had 15 goals in 15 playoff games. In fact, I think he had 14 goals in 11 games before Edmonton ran into the Islander brick wall...

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Disengage

Chris Pronger took the stick.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 09:52 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Indeed. He was also a runaway train the year before. In '83 he had 15 goals in 15 playoff games. In fact, I think he had 14 goals in 11 games before Edmonton ran into the Islander brick wall...
He separated his shoulder in the 1983 Conference Finals, otherwise I think he has a good chance to be the record-holder.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
Chris Pronger took the stick.

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
"I should be so lucky" to get hit in the face by a game-used Mark Messier stick.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
I don't know where it is in the clip, but Messier's dad (Doug Messier) and mom had season-tickets in a certain section of the Coliseum near one corner, about 6 rows from the glass. He may been trying to throw the stick to one of them...?
That may have been who he was looking at in the crowd at the sound of the buzzer. However, the stick went the opposite way. Way, way the other way. He wasn't aiming it anywhere, he just appeared to be releasing it with a lot of emotion not caring where it landed.

I just always found that strange. You'd think one of the Islanders would have said: "Geez, I almost got hit by that cocky Messier's stick during the celebration. Dumb cocky Oilers!"

Old
05-04-2015, 08:10 PM
invictus

For those wanting to see for themselves, go to 40 seconds and look to the left of your screen as time expires. Unsure if there is another angle later or replay.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
For those wanting to see for themselves, go to 40 seconds and look to the left of your screen as time expires. Unsure if there is another angle later or replay.
None that I've ever seen, and since it was 1984 the camera angles would be less likely to cover it (but not impossible) and almost no one would have their own personal documentation about it since no one owned a cell phone back then.