HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Game 8 | Ottawa @ Carolina | Feb 1st, 7pm | Qward's First GDT Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
We are still in the rebuild process don't you guys remember?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lmao, you guys are killing me ri now. We absolutely dominated them. Their only real chances were the 2on1 SH chance and... I forgot.

We held them COMPLETELY to the outside for the majority of the game. Gonchar should have scored that goal, Michalek shouldn't have fanned on that breakaway chance, Greening not spinning to score an empty net chance etc...

The bounces simply did not go our way.

I don't know about you guys but I am absolutely in love with out defensive system, my God, we are keeping all the players to the perimeter I love it.

Remember our 2-1 loss to Pitts and all you going crazy, then we destroyed Montreal 5-1. This fanbase kills me.
Agreed, but while we didn't get dominated by the Canes, our shots were low percentage and perimeter.

But yeah, no need to panic. We're 5-2-1. That's awesome.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

vCash: 500
Really felt the Spezza loss today. No question we are going to have issues with him out.

Hope we can turn it back around against Montreal on Sunday -- if we have another bad performance realistically that would be 3 of the last 4 games we've looked like total garbage without Spezza (didn't deserve to win the Washington game, deserved the loss against Carolina). If we look real bad against Montreal I'd say it would be a good time to test the waters and get someone in to help with Spezza's loss.

Realistically Spezza is irreplaceable with what we would be capable of paying for in this league, but we could get someone to ease the bleeding.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
We are still in the rebuild process don't you guys remember?
I'm still locked into "I ain't even mad" mode. If this team was full of world beaters I might stress after every loss, however, this team is full of young players looking to find their roles. O'Brien, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Greening, Condra, Smith, Turris, Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch, and Borowiecki are all either under 25 or if they are over 25 then they are still new to the NHL. Give the boys some time to develop and then we can start freaking out when the team loses.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Really felt the Spezza loss today. No question we are going to have issues with him out.

If we look real bad against Montreal I'd say it would be a good time to test the waters and get someone in to help with Spezza's loss.

Realistically Spezza is irreplaceable with what we would be capable of paying for in this league, but we could get someone to ease the bleeding.
Agreed. I guess the one thing I worry about is the high cost of replacing him with someone that'll not only help out, but will fit in well with the team and the system our coaching staff's got. Obviously Murray is not Muckler, but I'd hate to see a trade being that costs us a young prospect and pays little to no return I.e. Laich from Bondra.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
NewfieSens
Nothin like a Newfie

Never got to see the game tonight, seems like it was a boring one as the highlights on tsn was a lengthy 13 seconds..
Hopefully we can pick it up on sunday!!
Go Sens go!!

Old
02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Hope we can turn it back around against Montreal on Sunday -- if we have another bad performance realistically that would be 3 of the last 4 games we've looked like total garbage without Spezza (didn't deserve to win the Washington game, deserved the loss against Carolina). If we look real bad against Montreal I'd say it would be a good time to test the waters and get someone in to help with Spezza's loss.

Lol, we shouldn't have won Washington game but we did, yet that's still a negative when they were fully healthy etc...

What are 3 of the last 4 games? This is our first loss without Spezza, looooooool.

Why aren't you mentioning the fact that we absolutely dominated Montreal? Yet we lost by only 1 to Carolina in a game we dominated in scoring opportunity against and for. We had 4-5 brilliant chances to score but the bounces didn't go our way.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Agreed. I guess the one thing I worry about is the high cost of replacing him with someone that'll not only help out, but will fit in well with the team and the system our coaching staff's got. Obviously Murray is not Muckler, but I'd hate to see a trade being that costs us a young prospect and pays little to no return I.e. Laich from Bondra.
I really like the idea of going for someone like Umberger or Hemsky but I don't know that either are available or that we are willing to pay the price. They would be the best options though, IMO.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Lol, we shouldn't have won Washington game but we did, yet that's still a negative when they were fully healthy etc...

What are 3 of the last 4 games? This is our first loss without Spezza, looooooool.

Why aren't you mentioning the fact that we absolutely dominated Montreal? Yet we lost by only 1 to Carolina in a game we dominated in scoring opportunity against and for. We had 4-5 brilliant chances to score but the bounces didn't go our way.
I don't know what game you were watching -- but if Anderson isn't standing on his head that game is a bloodbath in favor of Carolina. We did not outplay them in any facet of the game.

I said if we go in and come out flat against Montreal on Sunday it would be 3 of the last 4. We didn't deserve to beat Washington and we looked terrible in that game. We didn't absolutely dominate Montreal, either, we took advantage of special teams and they did not -- overall it was a game that had no real flow to it because of the refs.

The loss of Spezza is VERY noticeable and you've got blinders on if you think because we won 2 games with him out that we're fine.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:49 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
I don't know what game you were watching -- but if Anderson isn't standing on his head that game is a bloodbath in favor of Carolina. We did not outplay them in any facet of the game.

I said if we go in and come out flat against Montreal on Sunday it would be 3 of the last 4. We didn't deserve to beat Washington and we looked terrible in that game. We didn't absolutely dominate Montreal, either, we took advantage of special teams and they did not -- overall it was a game that had no real flow to it because of the refs.

The loss of Spezza is VERY noticeable and you've got blinders on if you think because we won 2 games with him out that we're fine.
I pretty much 100% agree with all of this.

Andy was the reason the game wasn't 4 or 5-0. We had a few good chances sure, but Carolina was the much better team that whole game.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Regarding Regin, the guy is in all the right places. However, his release, his reach, and his range of motion look to have deteriorated. Is it because of limited playing time in recent years? Can his shoulder handle it anymore?

The guy at the very least needs to get more of his wrists and foerarms involved in his shooting motion imo to be on a scoring line.
i don't know if you guys noticed but after one of his shifts in the third they showed him sitting on the bench rubbing his shoulder. at first i thought he was adjusting his pads, but someone came over and was standing beside him (a trainer?). he turned and said something. all i could make out is "shoulder". i still think he's not 100%. not sure if he ever will be.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
i don't know if you guys noticed but after one of his shifts in the third they showed him sitting on the bench rubbing his shoulder. at first i thought he was adjusting his pads, but someone came over and was standing beside him (a trainer?). he turned and said something. all i could make out is "shoulder". i still think he's not 100%. not sure if he ever will be.
Yea I saw that and thought "**** not again".

Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:

If we don't score on our double minor in the Montreal game, there's a chance the game ends up being really close. They pressured us fairly hard in the third, and Andy's what kept the score line so flattering in the third.

The rhetoric that surrounds Spezza is ridiculous; whether people like it or not, taking someone with his sort of skill and ability really hurts us. Even on one of his off nights, he keeps the other teams honest because they know what he's capable of. He forces coaches to match up against his line, and he creates space on the ice. He also helps give our other lines more favourable match ups.

I'm not saying we can't win without him, but as we face tougher opposition, we are really going to miss him.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 PM
bert

Quote:
I really like the idea of going for someone like Umberger or Hemsky but I don't know that either are available or that we are willing to pay the price. They would be the best options though, IMO.
Stephen Weiss couldnt be a better fit right now and Murray has a relationship with Talon.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:04 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Stephen Weiss couldnt be a better fit right now and Murray has a relationship with Talon.
yeah, but at what price?

Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
bert

Quote:
Both Regin and Latendress have not played hockey for a long time I am not suprised they are struggling more then there skill set suggests.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the main problem i had tonight is that not scoring on a 4min penalty is unacceptable.
The sad part is that they never really came close to scoring. Aside from the first minute of the power play and Turris ringing it off the post, we looked terrible for the whole power play. I think the canes even hard more shots then us during that power play.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Regarding Regin, the guy is in all the right places. However, his release, his reach, and his range of motion look to have deteriorated. Is it because of limited playing time in recent years? Can his shoulder handle it anymore?

The guy at the very least needs to get more of his wrists and foerarms involved in his shooting motion imo to be on a scoring line.
He's a smart player so he has good positioning but he just doesn't seem to be able to do anything with the puck when he gets it. Playing with Alfie and Michalek he had two good scoring chances based on his positioning and the first time he hit the goalie in the chest and the second time he missed the net.

I don't know whether he didn't have the potential to be a top sixer in the first place or if his injuries have really deteriorated his play. But at this point it is hard to justify that he deserves a roster spot.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
X, although you are correct you cannot deny tonight's game was a concern to say the least. After starting to such a hot start, and with a day to rest, we figured well we are 2-0-0 without our #1 centre, no biggie! Tonight was basically a dagger in our throats in making us come to the realization that Spezza is no longer out on the ice helping our offense get something generated. I was at the Pens game last sunday, and if it wasn't for Spezzas charge to the net Greening would have never gotten that garbage goal, and the Sens would have never gotten a point.
It takes me a lot more than that to panic, you have no idea.

Teams have blunders once in a while... Couldn't catch all the game because life goes on outside hockey but from what I have seen, they were trying hard, just the execution that was lacking and Ellis was solid (always been a solid goalie IMO).

Don't forget that teams run hot and cold. Sens have been hot 80% of the 7 first games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
Waive him and hope the Panthers/Flames grab him.
Seriously... Hope?

What is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD to have Regin on the team vs not?

It's incredible on HF when a player doesn't perform to the fans fantasy expectations, they are so in a hurry to trade/waive/kill the guy...

He is UFA after the season and only cost 800 000$ (on a 82 games ratio)... It's not like we were full healthy and he was taking a spot of a young guy... Bingo has already been depleted a lot so they might wait to see what they have until they call up Da Costa

You people really need to chill, take a deep breath and realize it's just a freaking entertainment/game. Some of you are take fanaticism to a whole new level

Seriously, I'm sure professionals (GMs, coachs, players) would read these boards for giggles in their free time if they knew... But they probably have 0 time to waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Just do as I as I do and assume everyone's being sarcastic.
Good advice, I admit I have been thinking about that lately

Never too high, never too low. Hard to have Cup expectations for this team... We are young, a bit inexperienced and havve a few holes still. When we get key injuries, it becomes a bit harder (like for any team)

Missing the playoffs = experience/development + good draft pick
Making the playoffs = awesome

It's a simple as that

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
bert

Quote:
yeah, but at what price?
Probably a young roster player and a good prospect or a first. They could make the pick conditional on re-signing him? He is the same age as Spezza and a very good player, he is intense and is good on both sides of the puck. I would not be against a 4 year 20 million dollar contract extension as he is a UFA.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Another Anderson-esque performance for Andy.

Sloppy execution tonight but there was certainly effort. Condra's block in the first set that tone.

They were a bit better.
Anderson is playing amazing right now

We would have got slaughtered tonight if it wasn't for his play.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:44 PM
kaws

So far this season... if I'm out with my girl and not watch the game, we lose in regulation.

I should stop scheduling my dates that coincide with Sens games..

Old
02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Lmao, you guys are killing me ri now. We absolutely dominated them. Their only real chances were the 2on1 SH chance and... I forgot.

We held them COMPLETELY to the outside for the majority of the game. Gonchar should have scored that goal, Michalek shouldn't have fanned on that breakaway chance, Greening not spinning to score an empty net chance etc...

The bounces simply did not go our way.

I don't know about you guys but I am absolutely in love with out defensive system, my God, we are keeping all the players to the perimeter I love it.
Serious?

Old
02-02-2013, 01:36 AM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Ugh epic fail from the score keeper. Why did jizzboy get the third star over Anderson?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:11 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaws View Post
So far this season... if I'm out with my girl and not watch the game, we lose in regulation.

I should stop scheduling my dates that coincide with Sens games..

So far this season when I watch the game with my girl, we lose in regulation. Im sorry guys. It has been an issue for the past three seasons.

Closed Thread