HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers SLOP FEST!!!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Lionel Hutz

vCash: 500
Keep Simon and trade Letang!

Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Which is why I'd like to see things changed up a bit next game. Neal hasn't been very good 5v5 the past few games, and Kunitz sucks like something fierce.

Boychuk - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Malkin - Jeffrey

Certainly not ideal lines, but it may jump start both Neal and Kunitz a bit, while auditioning two youngsters on the other wings. Jeffrey looked pretty good working give and go's with Malkin which is how Malkin loves to play, and I'd like to see Crosby get first dibs for once in trying out a new winger. You can move Dupuis down to the 3rd line and Kennedy to the 4th, then sit Adams.
I've been very vocal about my confidence in Malkin re-signing, but if anything could jeopardize it, it's moving Neal to Sid's line.

Keep those two joined at the hip, for ****'s sake. I don't care if we end up a lotto team this year, if that's what it takes to get Geno re-signed long-term.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
wgknestrick

Good first step out of this hole.

Back Updre Fleury?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
MtlPenFan

Big props to Martin too. The guy's done a complete 180.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I've been very vocal about my confidence in Malkin re-signing, but if anything could jeopardize it, it's moving Neal to Sid's line.

Keep those two joined at the hip, for ****'s sake. I don't care if we end up a lotto team this year, if that's what it takes to get Geno re-signed long-term.
I understand where you're coming from, but if things aren't working... I mean Neal has looked pretty invisible these past few games, and Kunitz... He's looked like dog ****. Why not try to get a jump start on those two players by changing things up. Jeffrey likes to give the puck to Malkin, and Kunitz can drive the net and create space for them, which is him basically getting back to his roots which will help get him back in the groove.

I'm not saying it's a permanent thing. Just until we can make some trades to fill those holes permanently.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gordie

Great game by Dupuis and does Bylsma scratch Despres or Bortuzzo because Lovejoy just needs the ice time?

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Yep. Kunitz is just garbage and Dupuis, despite his speed and puck hawk ability, isn't someone you want as a primary linemate.

The sooner we get him a linemate the better.
Right now Dupuis is miles ahead of Kunitz in terms of being a third wheel.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:09 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

"BE POSTIVE!"

+ Despres!!!

"NOT ABOUT THAT"

I don't care if he made a few mistakes. He's going to, he's a freakin' kid. He'll work them out - if he continues to play regular minutes. This is why I didn't want the kid traded for Setoguchi, I think he has a ton of talent. The only way you're going to get the most out of that talent is if he feels confident that he can go out there and make plays without being benched at every turnover.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Despres has to learn his limitations and remember that he's not playing against Junior players or AHL'ers. Like I said in the GDT, there's definite raw talent there, but you're not just going to play him 20 minutes a night yet either. Let's also remember why he was in position for a breakaway to begin with.

I wasn't excited about it, because you know my stance on our support staff on wing, but let's not look for things that weren't there either.
1. Despres is going to have to learn. It's the only way you develop the raw talent. Same way, for all his faults, Therrien got it right with Letang. All those rookie mistakes, and he kept getting put out there.

2. Whose talking about what wasn't there? The PP is a cluster****. There seemed to be a little less reliance on stretch passes, which admittedly isn't saying much, and what appeared to be a case where the center would come back a little deeper to try to present another outlet option. I say 'appeared' because calling it far from crisp would be polite. As I said, there's a long way to go from here, and it's tough to tell if they're now pointed in the right direction or if this was an uptick in an otherwise downward trend line (I'm not optimistic that it isn't the latter).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mordax
It don't Maatta

-MAF: What a bum, sitting on the bench! That guy is useless!

-Vokoun: What a bum! He was 2 posts away from giving up 2 goals! That guy is useless!

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I would like to see either Kunitz or Dupuis play with him so they can get in there on the fore check & on the back check. Just not both. Get some one with skill so the defense just can't flock to Sid because they know the other guy can't take a pass. Then you can knock down Kunitz again to the second line.

*Insert talent here*-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Then you have something resembling depth.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:

Yeah, nothing would say, "second class citizen" like that move would. That is one move that I doubt the staff would be dumb enough to pull. But yeah, understand the worry about that situation.

In local interviews, David Morehouse has expressed the FO's intense interest in making Malkin a Penguin for life. Like you, I feel confident they will get it done.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Agreed, Kunitz has been the worst forward so far this year

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Big props to Martin too. The guy's done a complete 180.
Completely agree. He's making me eat crow from a year ago when I wanted his ass gone. He's looked great.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. Despres is going to have to learn. It's the only way you develop the raw talent. Same way, for all his faults, Therrien got it right with Letang. All those rookie mistakes, and he kept getting put out there.

2. Whose talking about what wasn't there? The PP is a cluster****. There seemed to be a little less reliance on stretch passes, which admittedly isn't saying much, and what appeared to be a case where the center would come back a little deeper to try to present another outlet option. I say 'appeared' because calling it far from crisp would be polite. As I said, there's a long way to go from here, and it's tough to tell if they're now pointed in the right direction or if this was an uptick in an otherwise downward trend line (I'm not optimistic that it isn't the latter).
Letang got scratched for Sydor in the Final, when Sydor had been scratched since January.

And Letang was already way ahead in his development when he played his first game than Despres is right now.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but if things aren't working... I mean Neal has looked pretty invisible these past few games, and Kunitz... He's looked like dog ****.

I'm not saying it's a permanent thing. Just until we can make some trades to fill those holes permanently.
Neal's been mistake-prone, but I don't agree that he's been invisible. He's tied for 2nd in the league for goals, man.

Geno still finds him, and he still buries 'em.

I wouldn't even begin entertaining the idea of moving him to a new line.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
BeauKnows19

+Vokoun he plays differently than Fleury in that he relies more on positioning and cutting of the angle than his athleticism and movement. I think that is why I feel confident with him in the net because he always makes the easy save. I want to see him start vs NJ. They seem to always beat us and with Vokoun playing hopefully that will change

+Jeffrey. He looked like he could keep up, and had the IQ to stay with Geno and Neal. I think that once they play more together, that line can be successful.

+Despres. He's confident with the puck and passing great. All he needs to do is get a little stronger when the other teams put pressure on him and he won't have so many turnovers. Aside from the one major turnover behind the goal, I was very pleased with his play. He's still a rookie. And things like that are gonna happen. I just hope he doesn't get scratched anymore.

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Jiggy, how many players on the Pens could make that perfectly paced and perfectly placed pass for a one-timer to Geno as consistently as Despres?
Morrow.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

Quote:
He can serve a purpose on a line with Sid that has someone who can help carry the play consistently.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

I'm gonna say Vokoun will get 2-3 shutouts before Fleury gets 1, if Fleury even gets 1 at all.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
That's a pretty sad indictment of Sid's play in the first six games, because he wasn't good tonight. He needs some help.
Sad but true. IMO he's been one of the worst Pens. His give aways make me want to puke.

One more thing is that I didn't think the Pens were that flat tonight. They just stayed with in themselves and with in that zone defense a little more than we are used to seeing.

Thank god Sam has turned into a pro. I remember Cary Wilson sticking Mario between the eyebrows and when Jim Kyte pumbled him Sam would scream to "get that jerk off the ice".

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
-MAF: What a bum, sitting on the bench! That guy is useless!

-Vokoun: What a bum! He was 2 posts away from giving up 2 goals! That guy is useless!

The first post was bad luck for both teams if that makes any sense. That first puck had no business getting through 9 bodies, and it was only fitting that it hit the post.

The second one was from a bad angle that Vokoun should have never let get past him.

I can't help but feel that if Fleury was in nets, both pucks would have bounced off the past, off his anus and into the net

Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Despres bring offense to that D-core that since we lost Goligoski we haven't had in anyone other than Letang. Martin's a decent passer & a strong skater but no one is really afraid of him scoring. Niskanen does have some offensive ability but over all isn't a scary scoring threat. I think Despres rounds the defense out well.

Depres & Letang-scoring threats, Martin & Niskanen-two way players, Engellend & Orpik-Grit.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Neal's been mistake-prone, but I don't agree that he's been invisible. He's tied for 2nd in the league for goals, man.

Geno still finds him, and he still buries 'em.

I wouldn't even begin entertaining the idea of moving him to a new line.
He hasn't been invisible on the PP, or on his faceoff play with Malkin. I'm saying 5v5 when we are rolling our lines.

It's not like I'm demoting the guy. I'm saying play him with Sidney freaking Crosby.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Yeah, nothing would say, "second class citizen" like that move would. That is one move that I doubt the staff would be dumb enough to pull. But yeah, understand the worry about that situation.

In local interviews, David Morehouse has expressed the FO's intense interest in making Malkin a Penguin for life. Like you, I feel confident they will get it done.
I think the feeling is mutual too. Malkin's said time and again that he loves the team and the city, but he had to play with some real dog **** for the past couple years, so playing with Neal must've felt like a godsend.

Taking him away could lead Malkin into some nightmarish deja-vu, and that could take relations to some very uncomfortable places.