HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers SLOP FEST!!!

Old
01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Yeah, nothing would say, "second class citizen" like that move would. That is one move that I doubt the staff would be dumb enough to pull. But yeah, understand the worry about that situation.

In local interviews, David Morehouse has expressed the FO's intense interest in making Malkin a Penguin for life. Like you, I feel confident they will get it done.
I think the feeling is mutual too. Malkin's said time and again that he loves the team and the city, but he had to play with some real dog **** for the past couple years, so playing with Neal must've felt like a godsend.

Taking him away could lead Malkin into some nightmarish deja-vu, and that could take relations to some very uncomfortable places.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Neal's been mistake-prone, but I don't agree that he's been invisible. He's tied for 2nd in the league for goals, man.

Geno still finds him, and he still buries 'em.

I wouldn't even begin entertaining the idea of moving him to a new line.
No way man. Everything about Geno in terms of his potential lack of desire to stay in Pittsburgh is a joke, but moving Neal to Sid's line is going to piss him off severely.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
So excited about the last two games from Despres.
Bylsma will sit him the next few games for Lovejoy.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Florentino Ariza

-Crosby looks like dog ****

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:18 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I'm gonna say Vokoun will get 2-3 shutouts before Fleury gets 1, if Fleury even gets 1 at all.
You must have been watching the RDS feed as they steal the Root broadcast and dub the broadcast from a janitor's closet.

Did you see them put up that weird/nice stat that Vokoun is the only goalie to have posted a minimum of 5 shutouts a season since the lockout?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Morrow.
1. I knew that's what you'd say.

2. That's why Despres should be on the top PP right now. He can make a perfect pass (perfect pace, right in the wheelhouse) for Geno more consistently than anyone on the roster. Oh, and unlike Letang (and pretty much everyone aside from Martin right now), Despres gets his shots on net (or at least is smart enough to avoid shooting right into a defender again and again and again).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I would like to see either Kunitz or Dupuis play with him so they can get in there on the fore check & on the back check. Just not both. Get some one with skill so the defense just can't flock to Sid because they know the other guy can't take a pass. Then you can knock down Kunitz again to the second line.

*Insert talent here*-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Then you have something resembling depth.
DUSTIN "EFFFFFFFFIN'!!" JEFFREY. He's getting his game back. He's a top six player folks ... wait and see. Kunitz has no business being on any line right now.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy
Relax

I just don't think Geno's ego needs to be stroked as much as the rest of you I guess. He cares about winning. Also I'm not saying it's a permanent thing.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:19 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

As much as I am happy with the way tonight turned out, the judgement passed on Fleury and Lovejoy for the last game is way harsh at times.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:19 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
I'm honestly convinced he's content just trying to make plays while he gets his legs and timing back. I don't blame him, Kunitz would have been benched a long time ago on many teams with better depth and Dupuis is an energy player on a scoring line.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think the feeling is mutual too. Malkin's said time and again that he loves the team and the city, but he had to play with some real dog **** for the past couple years, so playing with Neal must've felt like a godsend.

Taking him away could lead Malkin into some nightmarish deja-vu, and that could take relations to some very uncomfortable places.
I hate when my wife uses that excuse for... well nm.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:

Another one and done in the playoffs could have the same effect, but I digress.

Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
You must have been watching the RDS feed as they steal the Root broadcast and dub the broadcast from a janitor's closet.

Did you see them put up that weird/nice stat that Vokoun is the only goalie to have posted a minimum of 5 shutouts a season since the lockout?
I watched the root sports feed, but i looked at his shutout records. He's been getting more shutouts as he gets older and better, but it's a short season so i'll say 3 shutouts max for Vokoun IMO.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:

I don't think they should move Neal at this point, but I do question this line of thinking... does this mean Crosby is being treated as a second-class citizen right now?

There's too much polarization going on in the fan base over these two: Crosby will be fine with whoever, give all wingers to Malkin, make Geno happy so he re-signs, Geno was part of the best line in the NHL last year, put it back together!, Crosby's already signed, worry about Geno! Crosby's being lazy, etc etc etc...

Let's just put the best team together and assume these guys want to be a part of it one way or the other.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm honestly convinced he's content just trying to make plays while he gets his legs and timing back. I don't blame him, Kunitz would have been benched a long time ago on many teams with better depth and Dupuis is an energy player on a scoring line.
He definitely needs 2 new wingers as it stands right now. How awesome would this team look if that happened?

X - Crosby - X
Jeffrey - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy

Old
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
He hasn't been invisible on the PP, or on his faceoff play with Malkin. I'm saying 5v5 when we are rolling our lines.

It's not like I'm demoting the guy. I'm saying play him with Sidney freaking Crosby.
He's been burying them at ES too. Had a great goal off the rush just the other day, and a great tip tonight. Neal is the least of our worries.

You're right that it's not a demotion to play with Sid. But that was never my concern. My concern is that playing Neal with Sid now - when nothing is wrong with the chemistry between he and Geno - leads to a very slippery slope.

You don't move Neal to placate Sid. We have Sid forever, and can acquire a scoring winger before the playoffs if need be. Neal must remain with Malkin.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I just don't think Geno's ego needs to be stroked as much as the rest of you I guess. He cares about winning. Also I'm not saying it's a permanent thing.
THIS

Why I said another playoff one and done, more than anything, would negatively impact Geno's willingness to resign on day one this summer. He may still resign, but is it completely implausible, in the case of one and done, that he'd want to see what Shero does with the coaching staff and the roster before signing for eight years?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
I don't know that I agree with that... Looks to me like a guy who can't isn't enjoying any sustained time/pressure in the offensive zone, is basically buzzing the tower every time he's on the ice, just passing through, ma'am, back through the neutral zone. I do think part of it is getting back into game shape/rhythm/timing, but I do think he's doing everything he can with the puck consistently 20 ft from him.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
He's been burying them at ES too. Had a great goal off the rush just the other day, and a great tip tonight. Neal is the least of our worries.

You're right that it's not a demotion to play with Sid. But that was never my concern. My concern is that playing Neal with Sid now - when nothing is wrong with the chemistry between he and Geno - leads to a very slippery slope.

You don't move Neal to placate Sid. We have Sid forever, and can acquire a scoring winger before the playoffs if need be. Neal must remain with Malkin.
One ES goal, and the tip in tonight was a PP goal set up by Crosby. Like I said 5v5, not PP and faceoff plays.

I'm not moving Neal to placate anybody. I'm moving Neal to jumpstart both Neal and Kunitz.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. I knew that's what you'd say.

2. That's why Despres should be on the top PP right now. He can make a perfect pass (perfect pace, right in the wheelhouse) for Geno more consistently than anyone on the roster. Oh, and unlike Letang (and pretty much everyone aside from Martin right now), Despres gets his shots on net (or at least is smart enough to avoid shooting right into a defender again and again and again).
Despres can handle the point, but he isn't elite at it like Morrow.

Of course he would at least simplify things. Letang has no idea what he wants to do.

He needs Morrow to teach him what quick decision making does for a PP.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:25 PM
mpp9

Quote:

If? If Shero doesn't bring one in within a month I'll be livid. It's obvious we're in need of some help in the top 6.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Despres can handle the point, but he isn't elite at it like Morrow.

Of course he would at least simplify things. Letang has no idea what he wants to do.

He needs Morrow to teach him what quick decision making does for a PP.
How has Morrow been looking lately in WBS? I know he was struggling earlier in the year. Has he moved towards the head of the line for recall?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Any talk of moving Neal with Sid at this point is total Canadian Golden Boy homerism. Not only does Neal have excellent chemistry with Geno, but Geno is the best player on this team right now so you can't even use the logic that the best C should get the best W (to move Neal). He's already playing with the best C.

Neal should stay with Geno, period. Not a big deal to change it up for a shift here and there to throw the D off but majority of the shifts should have Geno and Neal together because it works and works well.

One thing I 100% agree on is splitting Sid and Geno up on the PP. If you want, have Neal stay out there the whole time whenever possible so both Malkin and Sid get to benefit from him being on the ice / keeping the D honest. But having Sid and maybe Neal and Despres on the #2 PP would make for a very challenging PK for the other team.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
I hate when my wife uses that excuse for... well nm.
Hey man, tell her it's in the wedding vows.

"To protect and to serve". Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Another one and done in the playoffs could have the same effect, but I digress.
Yes you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I don't think they should move Neal at this point, but I do question this line of thinking... does this mean Crosby is being treated as a second-class citizen right now
Sid's had the best wingers since '08-'09. Nobody thinks he's been getting the short end of the stick during his time here.

Quote:
There's too much polarization going on in the fan base over these two: Crosby will be fine with whoever, give all wingers to Malkin, make Geno happy so he re-signs, Geno was part of the best line in the NHL last year, put it back together!, Crosby's already signed, worry about Geno! Crosby's being lazy, etc etc etc...

Let's just put the best team together and assume these guys want to be a part of it one way or the other.
Is there an argument that putting Neal with Sid makes us a better team? Because I don't think there is.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I thought the defense played very well and made it easy for Vokoun. At the same time I thought the Rangers made it hard on themselves. How many shots can you take when there's a stick right in front of yours and you're above the circle (i.e., no way a wrister goes in)? They refused to try and get innocent shots through (that could become problematic rebounds). Also, Steigy asked why Nash didn't look better. Well when the rest of the team is starting at him waiting for him to do something all by himself it's kinda hard.

As per the Bylsma regime, getting an early goal helps a ton. They stayed the course and eventually it went our way. The Rangers are pretty much a one line team right now and dare I say we may both be overrated, so let's see where the weekend takes us. Obviously the 2 points is all that matters right this second.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote