HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo-Dallas

Old
02-01-2013, 07:21 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
While I agree most "rentals" fetch that kind of a return at the trade deadline, which is more than likely when Morrow will be moved if he is, I can't imagine him returning any significant futures unless his play drastically improves and his value thus increases. If the trade deadline was today and the Stars wanted to shop Morrow, I'm sure they'd find a taker but the return would be minimal. I'd expect an alright prospect or a third or fourth at MOST for him right now; I think the third is a stretch honestly. His value is at an all-time low. If we were talking about this a few years ago, you'd have teams lining up to trade a first or second and a prospect for the guy, but he's nowhere near what he used to be unfortunately.

I think this proposal does help both teams. I don't see Dallas panicking to rebuild two weeks into the season, even if it's a shortened one. Same goes for Buffalo. Both teams are what, a win out of eighth? It's far too tight to declare any team out and judging by what Dallas did in the offseason, a rebuild in the near future is not in their plans; they intend to make the playoffs this season. Also, how does trading Morrow signal a rebuild? He's been one of the worst players on the team for about two years now and besides being the captain, holds little value in the success of the Stars. If Dallas can get some value for him and improve their team to make a playoff run this year, why hold onto him when odds are you don't get a significant return at the deadline assuming you're out of it and he continues to play poorly and that he won't be re-signed anyway. I'd assume making a trade to try to get someone to come in and help the team now would be a smart move. Again, I don't see Dallas rebuilding now.

Leopold has been equally as terrible as Morrow really. He and Myers have safely been our worst two defensemen this year so far. But both teams could use a small shake-up and this proposal addresses a need for both sides. I'd do it but although I'd love Morrow to come in here and be a huge difference-maker, I've grown to accept that he's not the player he used to be and that happening could be a big stretch. Regardless, I'd take him. If he gets some of his game back he'd make us better. Leopold has shown he can play way better than he has too. Both teams would make a small tweak and hope it helps them. If not, both players walk July 1st.
Nothing I said indicated Morrow has great value or that Dallas fans or the team expect a great return. A 3rd or 4th round pit fits exactly what I said Dallas would want, future assets. I'm guessing he'll eventually go for a conditional pick of some sort based on team play or personal performance (games played considering his health). Dallas might get a player back if the team is at the contract limit.

A 4th round pick is more valuable to the Dallas Stars than Leopold. The entire point of selling assets late in a year is to get potential useful pieces for the future and give young players an opportunity to play. Leopold has no future in Dallas, and he'd block a young defender from playing after the season was lost so it's a bad move for Dallas in every way possible. Dallas already has a log jam of 8 players they feel are NHL ready on defense. A 9th defender really doesn't help the team right now.

I'll concede rebuild was the wrong word, and I should have said giving up on the season and going into sell mode. More importantly, my post clearly made no indication Dallas was giving up on the season. It's pretty clearly the exact opposite is true. GMJN moving Morrow would very much so be the team waiving the white flag which is why almost any trade involving Morrow is a hypothetical discussion about the Stars season being lost unless it has value to current Stars group which Leopold does not.

The last part is hilarious though. Basically ... Morrow sucks ... Leopold sucks ... why not make the trade? You're not going to hear me argue that Dallas needs Morrow off the roster right now, but GMJN's history doesn't lend me to believe that's going to happen. The only positive I have going for me is Dallas' leadership of the past has been getting shipped out piece by piece over the years. That means that yes Morrow is on the chopping block. Regardless of what fans say or feel about Morrow's play (and I'm in that group that believe he's done), he has value to the current management and coaches of the Stars. That's disappointing to me, but that means any trade proposal that's not a hypothetical situation with Dallas missing the playoffs actually has to help the team. An even more cluttered mess on defense doesn't do that.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
The last thing I'd like to point out if you'll allow me is you mentioned it was silly to write off the season this soon. I agree, but that means it's also equally silly to change philosophy this early in the season. You seem to be missing some key information about the Dallas Stars.

Substituting a veteran for young players right now would be a 180. Dallas fans will laugh at that statement because of the coach (personally it just makes me sad), but that would go against what the GM has been building towards. Sheldon Souray wanted to re-sign in Dallas, and he would have been a Top 4 defender. Dallas would only offer 1 year so he walked. Dallas identified a major need at center, and the team received a fairly significant overhaul. Nothing like that happened on defense. They could have signed a veteran Top 4 D in free agency or traded for one, but all they did was sign a career 7th D to another overpriced contract and a promise to compete for ice time.

The reason this occurred is Dallas prospect depth on defense. The organization felt Brenden Dillon was ready full time, and he's proving them correct. The lockout allowed Jordie Benn and Jamie Oleksiak to also prove they were NHL ready. That resulted in Dallas clearing more room for prospects bytrading away Mark Fistric.

I'd love to have Leopold replace a couple of Dallas' current defense. You selling him as terrible doesn't help, but he fits Dallas' mold of preferred defender. He's not prototypical size, but he's not tiny. He's mobile, and he usually moves the puck fairly well. I think he could honestly be an improvement over some of Dallas' players, and a change of scenery could definitely help turn his season around.

However, Dallas committed to the young players ... at least the ownership and GM did. It's doubtful, and I'd honestly be extremely surprised, to see Dallas try and rescue the season with a veteran D. Like I said, that would be a 180 from what we've seen from Dallas since the season ended.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote