HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

KHL trying to keep the players.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Habs05

vCash: 500
KHL trying to keep the players.

According to Bob Mckenzie of TSN, a player who just returned to North America from the KHL says that KHL teams are putting major pressure and huge money on the table in attempts to keep NHL players from returning to North America.

From Twitter: @TSNBobMcKenzie
NHL player now back from RUS says KHL teams putting major pressure and huge money on table to keep NHLers from returning to North America.
https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcK...5526239233?p=v

TSN: REPORT: ISLANDERS' VISNOVSKY TO STAY IN SLOVAKIA ALL SEASON
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413011

NBC sports: Kovalchuk says “time will tell” if he stays in the KHL
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ys-in-the-khl/

Slava Malamud (Foreign Correspondent for Sport-Express, Russia's sports daily. An NHL.com contributor)
@SlavaMalamud
KHL Prez Medvedev to SportsDaily.ru: New CBA may be basis for terminating existing contracts, some players will stay.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SlavaMala...9406901248?p=v

@SlavaMalamud
More Medvedev. "NHL's opinion of itself is so high... OK, let them get drunk on their greatness. We'll see how many Euros look our way"
https://mobile.twitter.com/SlavaMala...7639757824?p=v

Last edited by Habs05: 01-08-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added infos
Habs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

Someone call Ben Affleck to get them out.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:12 PM
MonsterSurge

Where's Liam Neeson?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I don't see how Visnovsky isn't forced to return to the islanders.

His lockout contract had an outclause in it for when the lockout was over. It's over. Now go to your team.

01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Ernie

Is the KHL really going to declare war over Visnovsky?

I can understand if a player like Ovechkin / Malkin / Kovalchuk / Datsyuk wanted to stay. But Visnovsky?

Should be a fun summer if this stands.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

IIHF helped broker deal between KHL and NHL (that "respected" each other's contracts).

So, this could end up with Russian hockey federation and/or players involved not allowed to participate in IIHF events (including 2014 Olympics).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
So, this could end up with Russian hockey federation and/or players involved not allowed to participate in IIHF events (including 2014 Olympics).
Politics ensures us there will be zero chance of that happening, no matter how this situation plays out.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Politics ensures us there will be zero chance of that happening, no matter how this situation plays out.
If you guys want a way to ensure there isn't a lockout, cross your fingers that Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk or someone in the upper echelon of the league decides not to come back.

Ideally someone that plays for Jeremy Jacobs Bruins... or another one of the hard liners.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:07 PM
cutchemist42

Would the IIHF side with the KHL since they are more IIHF friendly?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
You sure about that? The US junior team lost a top player due to him still having to serve a suspension in the CHL.

01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Kap-the-Head

Holy ****, people... Bob farted out of this ass with this "news". There has not been a single specific confirmation where KHL was pressuring anybody to stay, and eveybody in NA jumps the gun.....

Kap-the-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

I am not surprised but I don't think this is a wise move by the KHL. The Olympics were not agreed on, so a very real punishment still exists. Plus the IIHF should have to ban these guys including Visnovsky if they really pull this move.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap-the-Head View Post
Holy ****, people... Bob farted out of this ass with this "news". There has not been a single specific confirmation where KHL was pressuring anybody to stay, and eveybody in NA jumps the gun.....
He heard it from a player and then gave two examples. That would be the confirmation, read a little closer.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Oh Bob . Normally so bang on, but clearly not at all informed on the Visnovsky issue at all...that's not even close to what happened.

Either the Islanders have given him permission to stay in KHL, or he is getting really bad advice, but he is under the impressin the team has let him stay. This is his quote from yesterday in the paper in Slovakia.

http://sport.sme.sk/c/6658791/visnov...v-slovane.html

Quote:
What do you need?
"Approval from the Islanders. My agent is negotiating with the islanders' general manager Garth Snow. In New York, they are not thrilled with my attitude. "

And if the Islanders insist that you come to camp and played NHL?
"So I will have to pack up and fly to America. Treaty must be respected. "
He understands that the Islanders can force him back to NA. Today he is under the impression that permission has been given (I don't know how), but he was thanking the Islander management for letting him stay at home, and felt he could stay. There is either a massive huge miscommunication, in which case he is likely heading back to NA since the Islanders will force him back (and he clearly states here he will come back if he is forced), or the Islanders have worked something out with him but have not publicly stated so.

Either way it is most certainly NOT a case of Visnovsky just staying away, he has been in contact with the Islanders for the past two days...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I am not surprised but I don't think this is a wise move by the KHL. The Olympics were not agreed on, so a very real punishment still exists. Plus the IIHF should have to ban these guys including Visnovsky if they really pull this move.
What punishment could exist, I don't know the ins and outs. In my opinion, if you lockout a player and he signs a contract, that deal should stand for at least the calendar year. If you don't like it, don't lock them out. Just for the argument, if the players were to strike, I don't believe they should be allowed to play at all.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What punishment could exist, I don't know the ins and outs. In my opinion, if you lockout a player and he signs a contract, that deal should stand for at least the calendar year. If you don't like it, don't lock them out. Just for the argument, if the players were to strike, I don't believe they should be allowed to play at all.
I agree. And its not the KHL pressuring anybody. Visnovsky wants to stay in Slovan by his own merit, and its easy to see why. He is playing at home in front of a sellout crowd every night on a team gearing up for the playoffs. Why would he want to leave midseason to the basement of NHL franchises -poor attendance/arena, gowing to end up at the bottom of the standings... Thats quite the change of gears, and um.. it was no secret that he didn't want to go to NYI in the first place!

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I agree. And its not the KHL pressuring anybody. Visnovsky wants to stay in Slovan by his own merit, and its easy to see why.
Mac said that he heard it directly from a player who was pressured. Not sure how you can say this.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Realm

https://twitter.com/AngelinaLawton/s...00100941111298

BREAKING word is prominent NHL player will not be returning from the KHL. Plays in a Russian City with a changed name. "has been arranged"

Realm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
JoeLH

Tarasenko i would assume. I cannot imagine that Kovalchuk would get an approval by the Devils. But there are a few other cities with new names in Russia, too, i believe.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
Tarasenko i would assume. I cannot imagine that Kovalchuk would get an approval by the Devils. But there are a few other cities with new names in Russia, too, i believe.
I would expect both the Blues and Devils to pursue either guy, this is going to get very ugly. Tarasenko is a good choice since he can probably get a huge raise compared to what he is forced to make in the NHL.

Old
Realm

Quote:
I guessed Kostitsyn.

Realm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dynamo81

Quote:
Tarasenko is already flying back.

No one is pressuring anyone to stay, a lot of Russian players have indicated they are keen to stay and finish the KHL season but understand the rules of the lockout. Don't see the KHL pressuring a player signed in the NHL to not return to the NHL.

Some players might take longer to return as a few want to still play some more games for their clubs.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Would the IIHF side with the KHL since they are more IIHF friendly?
No, if the Isles/NHL files a complaint with the IIHF, IIHF will revoke the transfer card for Visnovsky and he won't be allowed to play.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Wow, the Russians would change the name of one of their cities just to keep Vladimir Tarasenko...?

EDIT: Oh people are actually taking it seriously...oops...I thought it was a joke...

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
I guessed Kostitsyn.
Not a bad choice surprised the Preds would green light it, of course they will just keep tolling his contract, we know that already from team history.