HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2012-13 ECHL attendance up 12% from 11-12

Old
02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
2012-13 ECHL attendance up 12% from 11-12

ECHL 9:03am via The ECHL ECHL attendance up nearly 12 percent from last season, http://www.echl.com/echl-attendance-...season-p181721

(How much from addition of ECHL San Francisco franchise?)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

How much of that was because of the lockout? Not much I'm guessing but could be some people that went to their ECHL team instead whilst the league was locked out.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How much of that was because of the lockout? Not much I'm guessing but could be some people that went to their ECHL team instead whilst the league was locked out.
The distances involved between NHL and ECHL markets, with only a handful of exceptions, makes that unlikely.

It would be interesting, though, to know if that handful of teams saw a difference.

Edit: one of the main teams I had in mind was Trenton, who went up from 3,000 to 3,200. Not enough difference to make a convincing case beyond random fluctuation.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 02-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
And the addition of Orlando/closing of the Express helped out a great deal, too.

.... sad to say, I was one of like 50 people that regularly attended Express games....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
exit322

I suspect the adding of the Fort Wayne Komets helped that, too.

exit322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:26 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
9:03am via The ECHL ECHL attendance up nearly 12 percent from last season, http://www.echl.com/echl-attendance-...season-p181721

Actually, the San Fran franchise is running BELOW the league average, and is thus actually depressing the overall number. It's not shabby - 4,590 per game through 22 games, enough to put them somewhere in the mid-30s overall in North American minor pro attendance... but the league average is actually nearly 13 fans/game higher.

The bigger contributors to the increased league-wide attendance are, as mentioned by NFS and by exit322, the shift of Fort Wayne from the CHL to the ECHL (the Komets are pulling in more than 2800 more fans/game than the league average - for perspective, 2800 fans/game is higher than either Elmira OR Wheeling are drawing _overall_) and the expansion into Orlando, which is going great guns (nearly 2k fans/game over the league average).

But even those two don't tell the full story - Ontario is up by more than 1300 fans/game over this point last year -- a division-leading performance on the ice is likely helped by the NHL lockout... Ontario is one of the few ECHL markets that might actually have directly benefited, given that they are owned by the LA Kings and thus likely have marketing access to the Kings fans who had no other local outlet, AND that Citizens Business Bank Arena is less that 45 miles away from the Staples Center and less than 35 miles away from the Honda Center, meaning that TWO NHL fanbases are nearly closer to the Reign than they are to each others' home arenas (~32 miles between the Staples Center and the Honda Center).

Evansville's move from the CHL to the ECHL is easy to overlook, because they don't draw in the mid-minors-leading numbers that Fort Wayne does, but they still are pulling in 5200 per game -- 600 more than league average and more than 500 more than they pulled in their first year in the new building last season.

Alaska's numbers are up nearly 14% - though I think I may recall that they might have had an NHLer or two skating with them through the lockout.

Utah's numbers are up 23%, for no obvious single reason as far as I can see quickly.

And yes, as pointed out earlier, the loss of ill-performing Chicago did also boost the average.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
azaloum90

AHL attendance is up as well... Apparently there was 13k people at last Saturday's Connecticut Whale game

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The distances involved between NHL and ECHL markets, with only a handful of exceptions, makes that unlikely.

It would be interesting, though, to know if that handful of teams saw a difference.

Edit: one of the main teams I had in mind was Trenton, who went up from 3,000 to 3,200. Not enough difference to make a convincing case beyond random fluctuation.
That`s an absurd assumption.

It`s obvious if there is less content available on television, your gonna look to a product that is more local.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
tony d
The Future

This is good to see. Good for hockey in the US if you ask me.

02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
That`s an absurd assumption.

It`s obvious if there is less content available on television, your gonna look to a product that is more local.
That's an absurd assertion. If there is less hockey content available on your television for free, logic would state that people will look for alternate content that is still free, over paying more money and incurring the logistical costs of packing into a car and attending an event in person. Every person is different, and makes different decisions, clearly, but your claim of the "obvious" is deeply and inherently flawed on first glance.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
That's an absurd assertion. If there is less hockey content available on your television for free, logic would state that people will look for alternate content that is still free, over paying more money and incurring the logistical costs of packing into a car and attending an event in person. Every person is different, and makes different decisions, clearly, but your claim of the "obvious" is deeply and inherently flawed on first glance.
So your telling me, I`m more inclined to goto an ahl game, when the leafs are in montreal on the same night.

It`s not gonna dramatically alter people`s habbits, but it will modify them.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
So your telling me, I`m more inclined to goto an ahl game, when the leafs are in montreal on the same night.

It`s not gonna dramatically alter people`s habbits, but it will modify them.
That's not at all what I'm telling you - you invented that out of whole cloth. I'm telling you that if there isn't a Leafs/Montreal game on TV on a specific night, that I'm more likely to look for other stuff on TV than I am to suddenly say "I haven't been to an ECHL game in years, but that's only been because there's an NHL game on television". My issue was your claim of "absurd assumption" which was immediately followed by your own absurd assertion.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Crease

It would be worthwhile to see the attendance splits during and post-lockout.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
It would be worthwhile to see the attendance splits pre- and post-lockout.
Not really -- other than a spike for the season-opener, minor-league hockey attendance traditionally sinks to a nadir in late December/early January, and pretty much always picks up from January on to March/April -- way too much noise to try to tease out a "pre-lockout/post-lockout" signal from, especially with all the market-by-market factors that can quite overwhelm something as remote (in most markets) as the influence of the NHL.

In my opinion, of course - maybe I'm just not looking at the data with a sophisticated enough filter.

That said, I've been tracking North American pro hockey attendance for about the last 15 years or so, and it's all available online to slice and dice however any of you see fit: http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/ -- enjoy.