HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marchand thinks Ruff is disrespectful

Old
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
David Krejci would eat Scott alive when it coms to the hockey skills. He was already undressing the Sabres defense when Scott wasn't on the ice. Just imagine the result if he was. Yes please Ruff next time match Scott up against the Krejci line at every opportunity.
Well duh, Scott's a goon.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:36 PM
hockeyrules123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Notice that off the faceoff Scott actually RETREATED and skated towards his defensemen. He had no intention of stirring **** up.

His whole purpose was to make the Bruins think twice if they were going to try any funny stuff (which they very well might not have). The end result was precisely what Ruff wanted: a event-free 13 seconds. Maybe he didn't need to send Scott out there to get that result, but he decided to play it safe and give himself more insurance. Is that really such a bad move?

Ruff didn't call it because he has a vendetta against the Bruins, or was trying to rub it in...it could have been any team and he would have done the exact same thing. The fact that this continues to be argued is mindboggling.
Ruff did what he had to do. Macdermid , an AHL that played 3 minutes, was not on the ice for anything else than to brawl.

hockeyrules123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:36 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Um, injuries don't happen on purpose.

Bergeron was tripped by accident and was injured.

Paille got high sticked in the eye by Myers and won't play in the next game. Myers didn't intend to hurt him, it happened in the flow of play (was still a penalty but no intent to harm).

Shoot McQuaid last year lost his edge and went head first into the boards.

Putting key players on the ice puts them at risk for injury-any injury.
I'm fine with Julien not putting out his first line. But there's a significant difference between saying "Nah I don't want Seguin to risk an injury on a freak accident" and "Hey this is a great time for that dude who has 6 shifts all night and who we called up from the AHL to fight to be out there"

02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Notice that off the faceoff Scott actually RETREATED and skated towards his defensemen. He had no intention of stirring **** up.

His whole purpose was to make the Bruins think twice if they were going to try any funny stuff (which they very well might not have). The end result was precisely what Ruff wanted: a event-free 13 seconds. Maybe he didn't need to send Scott out there to get that result, but he decided to play it safe and give himself more insurance. Is that really such a bad move?

Ruff didn't call it because he has a vendetta against the Bruins, or was trying to rub it in...it could have been any team and he would have done the exact same thing. The fact that this continues to be argued is mindboggling.
Ruff and Scott actually handled it very well.

He noticed a situation he didn't want to expose his star players to so he called a timeout and changed lines, putting Scott out there. He very clearly (you can see it on the video) tells Scott not to do anything stupid.

Scott, to do his part has a quick chat with the ref, presumably to tell him that he won't start anything and the ref doesn't have to worry about him. Then, when the puck is dropped, makes it clear that he's not being aggressive.

There is fundamentally nothing disrespectful about that.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Hemmerfan4eva

Marchand talking about respect is a bit rich.....

Hemmerfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
TCL40

Quote:
"Nah I don't want Seguin to risk an injury on a freak accident" and "Hey this is a great time for that dude who has 6 shifts all night and who we called up from the AHL to fight to be out there"
And why not? Who do you suppose he should have put out, he had just been running 4 forwards in two shifts for the last couple minutes of the game trying to catch up. He was down two forwards (Thornton and Paille). That pretty much burned up his top two lines (Krejci and Bergeron line) and Kelly and Peverly. He had Campbell and McDermid who were fresh. I don't think it was an awful move.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Brewin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
A 2 minute penalty for pushing back? 5 minute major for grabbing an arm to prevent someone from punching you in the face? You must really thing the Bruins had the refs in their pocket.

Sedin chose to forgo any type of defense, such as moving his arm 6 inches higher to grab Marchand's jersey and prevent him from jabbing him in the face... so that he could look plaintively to the ref in hopes of a call.

That's what you're proud of. Their act was so blatantly obvious that the Bruins knew the refs wouldn't call a penalty on that. It wasn't a conspiracy, it wasn't that all the refs were really Bruins fans or that JJ somehow paid them off, it was that Vancouver went too far in trying to play the victim with the diving and whining... so far that they complete emasculated themselves in doing it.

Marchand exploited that very thing... he's one of the best at it and is doing it again here with Ruff, trolling an entire fanbase or franchise. He easily gets in everyones head just by making a simple statement to the press. The fact that he has tremendous skill on the ice makes it a beautiful thing to watch as a Bruin fan. Very akin to Lucic's pugilism, look at the fanbases that still follow every single Lucic thread and say "well he didn't fight our goon so he isn't anything" or "we have a goon now so that means he will be changing his game" even though he never ever has. Look at the teams that sign fighters that are rather inadequate in every other area of the game, look at the teams who actually played those same goons on their top lines to chase Lucic around the ice begging him to fight them for a paycheck. Teams have re contemplated their entire methodology because of Milan Lucic, the divisional rivals like the Habs and Sabres most of all... I can think of no greater compliment to a player honestly.
Well said. Marchand with one reply to a question has a 500+ post thread dissing him. The 2 great goals he scored must just drive those fanbases. Glad he's a Bruin.

Brewin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I'm not a Canadiens fan.

Really?

Look at the great Habs...

Newsy Lalonde - Cornwall, Ont.
Aurel Joliat - Ottawa, Ont.
Howie Morenz - Stratford, Ont.
Maurice Richard - The Habs tried to trade him repeatedly during his first few seasons. Nobody wanted him.
Elmer Lach - Saskatchewan.
Toe Blake - Acquired via trade.
Ken Dryden - Acquired via trade.
Lafleur, Shutt etc. - All drafted.
Jean Beliveau - B form.

The French Canadian rule was abolished in 1947. Every player selected under it before then was a bust. The rule came back in 1963 and from then until 1967 nobody the Habs picked ever played one minute in the NHL.

So basically, the rule in the end netted them only two players of note... Rejean Houle and Marc Tardiff.

The B form for Beliveau was effectively the same thing as a C form which the Bruins used to acquire Bobby Orr at 12 years old. So don`t start with this BS. Boston was simply a bad team for a VERY long time.
Come on, you can't think it's a coincidence that the Canadiens always had the best French-Canadian players on their team. I am NOT referring to any special rule or whatever the previous poster alluded to but just that the Habs local ties gave them a distinct edge from the other teams in scouting and signing the top local talent.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

Question/challenge, provide an example of Bruins "gooning it up" with 30 seconds or less in a game in the last 3 years.

Also... what "goons" were out there for Boston??
I hate that argument in the 1st paragraph. Find me a game when the B's fighter gotten KTFO and the rest of the team watched and then got spanked and then they put their goon out with 13 seconds but they didn't start something....

if you can find such an instance, then maybe you have a point.

If I'm any coach and I see the home team throw a goon out (and yes McDermid is a goon and you know it), I'm going to do what Ruff did.

Ruff is a jerk and summer's eve product, but he did the right thing.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
And why not? Who do you suppose he should have put out, he had just been running 4 forwards in two shifts for the last couple minutes of the game trying to catch up. He was down two forwards (Thornton and Paille). That pretty much burned up his top two lines (Krejci and Bergeron line) and Kelly and Peverly. He had Campbell and McDermid who were fresh. I don't think it was an awful move.
It was 13 seconds off what was going to be absolutely meaningless hockey. Thinking that's going to burn anyone out is crazy. I have zero problem with Claude sending Lane out there, but understand that if you do that it is a clear challenge. I can't understand why some see it as anything else.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Come on, you can't think it's a coincidence that the Canadiens always had the best French-Canadian players on their team. I am NOT referring to any special rule or whatever the previous poster alluded to but just that the Habs local ties gave them a distinct edge from the other teams in scouting and signing the top local talent.
The reason Montreal had the best French-Canadians was because of the league prejudices against them. Montreal used that advantage to win many cups until the rest of the league wised up.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Marchand is a weasel and some Bruins fans (a minority) are proud of him.

Not surprised.
Don't kid yourself. We're all proud to have him on our team. The fact that he's a nob (intentional or not) is moot. If all he ever does is irritate the **** out you guys with his buffoonery, then that's enough for us. Must really agitate you when he low bridges your stars, ole's another 1 sending him crashing face first into the boards...oh yeah, and SCORES lol!

Now quick, run to 1 of your mods and tell em a Bruins poster hurt your feelings with the truth again.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
fing0rz

Marchand should worry about how Vanek disrespected them.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:34 PM
bills44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Facts can be an elusive thing sometimes. Boston went up by two goals right after Scott-Thornton. .
Very elusive, apparently. The Beatdown in Beantown happened early in the first period.....the scoreless first period.

bills44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills44 View Post
Very elusive, apparently. The Beatdown in Beantown happened early in the first period.....the scoreless first period.
It did nothing to sway the momentum of the hockey game. Boston tore it up until the 5 on 3 when an apparently "put in his place" Lucic got a boarding call and Zdeno Chara got a hook.

Two lazy penalties by the Bruins got the Sabres back in the game far more then the "Beatdown in Beantown" did.

The better argument is that Scott scared the Bruins from playing their physical game and crossing the line... but then the boarding call on Lucic that started the Buffalo comeback likely wouldn't have happened were that the case... no?

Last edited by Kaoz: 02-01-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:24 PM
aemoreira1981

This move by Lindy Ruff is one that I congratulate fully. Play hockey. I would have done the exact same thing, and I hope more coaches see the teachable moment.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewin8 View Post
Well said. Marchand with one reply to a question has a 500+ post thread dissing him. The 2 great goals he scored must just drive those fanbases. Glad he's a Bruin.
Proud of a weasel?

I wouldn't want the world to know this, but then I wouldn't be proud of him.

But that's just me.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:21 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
You're mad that they did their job properly?

You're funny.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
Don't kid yourself. We're all proud to have him on our team. The fact that he's a nob (intentional or not) is moot. If all he ever does is irritate the **** out you guys with his buffoonery, then that's enough for us. Must really agitate you when he low bridges your stars, ole's another 1 sending him crashing face first into the boards...oh yeah, and SCORES lol!

Now quick, run to 1 of your mods and tell em a Bruins poster hurt your feelings with the truth again.
Thanks for proving my point.

You're funny.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
cneely

Quote:
Proud of a weasel?

But that's just me.
How did you feel about Ribiero as a Hab? Serious question.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:30 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:

A Bruins fan admitting that they choked...

Priceless.
Had one really bad choke. Being a favorite is much different from being thee favorite. Not winning it all isn't choke. Lot can happen in the playoffs. But guess what, we won it all two years ago. We are a much more relevant team than the Sabres on a regular basis (not that it is remotely impressive).

Quote:
Proud of a weasel?

But that's just me.
Marchand=Subban. Your team's fan favorite. Marchand is below Lucic, Bergeron, Chara, and Seguin on the list of fan favorites.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:31 PM
RapidFire

Marchand wont be too happy with the boards either. Ouch.

RapidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Thank you Brad for the autographed stick today, and thank you Jeremy Jacobs for being the premier owner in the NHL and showing us season ticket holders so much love! Many owners could learn a thing or two from you

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Soderberg

Not sure what's funnier - that a Canuck fan made this thread or that there are so many pages. Jesus, Marchand really does a good job at pissing people off.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

Here's a pic of Brad crying to the media:

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote