Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Damien brunner

Old
05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Damien brunner

A young guy who could be signed to similar contract that we gave to cervenka. He's 26 and is from switzerland where Sven is from so maybe knowing he could play with a countryman next season will entice him to Come here. Also I believe he is a RW with a right shot which we definitely lack.

Thoughts???

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
First of all who is he? And what are his stats?

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

*Season Team League GP G A TP PIM **** Postseason GP G A TP PIM*
*2002-2003 Kloten U20 Elite Jr. A 6 1 0 1 0 | * * * * * **
*2003-2004 Kloten U20 Elite Jr. A 21 9 5 14 8 | * * * * * **
*2005-2006 Winterthur Switzerland3 17 18 11 29 28 | * * * * * **
*2006-2007 Kloten NLA 42 9 9 18 22 | Playoffs 11 1 0 1 4*
*2007-2008 Kloten NLA 50 5 2 7 6 | Playoffs 5 0 0 0 0*
*2008-2009 Kloten NLA 12 0 0 0 2 | * * * * * **
* Thurgau* NLB 3 1 3 4 4 | * * * * * **
* Zug NLA 35 12 14 26 16 | Playoffs 10 3 2 5 4*
*2009-2010 Zug NLA 47 23 35 58 22 | Playoffs 13 5 5 10 6*
* Switzerland WC 7 1 4 5 2 | * * * * * **
* Switzerland (all) International 13 3 8 11 8 | * * * * * **
*2010-2011 Zug NLA 40 19 27 46 34 | Playoffs 8 4 4 8 2*
* Switzerland (all) International 5 4 1 5 0 | * * * * * **
*2011-2012 Zug NLA 45 24 36 60 48 | Playoffs 9 3 11 14 6*
* Switzerland (all) International 4 3 1 4 2 | * * * * * **
* Switzerland WC 7 3 4 7 6 | * * * * * **
*2012-2013 Zug NLA - - - - - | * * * * * **

Old
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

Sorry I know you can't read that^ just look him up on elite prospects, he has great stats and has been mentioned as a wanted European signing by many NHL scouts

Old
05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Anyway let's see how our first overseas signing works out before we sign more.
And as mentioned before there are thread such as off season move threads for stuff like this.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Volica

I think one unproven overseas player is enough for one year. Throw in Sven and you're looking at two new faces to the NHL (Yeah, minus the few games Sven played last year, and looked as good as any Flames fan wanted him to).

From what I get from this guy, Stevey Y thinks he has some game. Tough when snagging someone out of the Swiss league. The player pool there, is pretty low.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:20 AM
holyprime

He's the first swiss to lead the league in points since 30 years, with 24g 36a in 45 games. He's got some great hands but likes to dangle a little bit too much for my liking. pretty spectacular player, tough i'd guess he'd have to adapt his playing style if he wants to succeed in the nhl.

for some readable stats, the german wikipedia entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Tough when snagging someone out of the Swiss league. The player pool there, is pretty low.
the problem with the swiss players is, that it's just "too nice" over here, or in other words, they are too lazy. can't be easy to ride the bus in the AHL, fighting for that call up spot and then deliver on time, when u could play first line minutes and earn like 5 times of the AHL money, see friends and family etc. those who go at it usually succeed (Ambühl and Wick vs Streit and Sbisa) in some way. however, more and more are playing in the NA junior leagues, so maybe we can get rid of that "lack of determination" image one day.

that has nothing to do with the player pool, which is actually in a pretty good shape (and i say that after the bad second half of the WC) imho, considering the size of the country.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
He's the first swiss to lead the league in points since 30 years, with 24g 36a in 45 games. He's got some great hands but likes to dangle a little bit too much for my liking. pretty spectacular player, tough i'd guess he'd have to adapt his playing style if he wants to succeed in the nhl.

for some readable stats, the german wikipedia entry

the problem with the swiss players is, that it's just "too nice" over here, or in other words, they are too lazy. can't be easy to ride the bus in the AHL, fighting for that call up spot and then deliver on time, when u could play first line minutes and earn like 5 times of the AHL money, see friends and family etc. those who go at it usually succeed (Ambühl and Wick vs Streit and Sbisa) in some way. however, more and more are playing in the NA junior leagues, so maybe we can get rid of that "lack of determination" image one day.

that has nothing to do with the player pool, which is actually in a pretty good shape (and i say that after the bad second half of the WC) imho, considering the size of the country.
i think he was saying the Swiis pro league just isn't in the same class as the KHL, SEL and SM-liiga in terms of talent

personally if he is going to be able to play a checking role if the offense isn't think i would sign him just because having another Swiss player on the team could be good for Baertschi

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
i think he was saying the Swiis pro league just isn't in the same class as the KHL, SEL and SM-liiga in terms of talent

personally if he is going to be able to play a checking role if the offense isn't think i would sign hiim just because having another Swiss player on the team could be good for Baertschi
This. I didnt mean swiss players are bad or anything. I just meant it was like comparing the EPL or La Liga to the MLS kind of thing.

Id like a swiss player in calgary in addition to Sven. El Nino please.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:57 AM
torero

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Well we need a right winger. It's either this guy, Moss, Stempniak, Burish, or going big with Semin.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:21 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Well we need a right winger. It's either this guy, Moss, Stempniak, Burish, or going big with Semin.
Would prefer either Semin or just promoting from within ala Nemisz or Bryon.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Well maybe. Depending how they look at training camp, but that would include Brunner as well. Nemisz & Byron have a ways to go yet from what we've seen.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Well maybe. Depending how they look at training camp, but that would include Brunner as well. Nemisz & Byron have a ways to go yet from what we've seen.
Nemisz is ready for the nhl he wouldn't learn much more in the Ahl. He plays a very defensively responsible game but when played on the wing has some offense as well.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
He looks good, but as others have mentioned I want to see how Cervenka turns out before we make another move like this.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:35 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
He looks good, but as others have mentioned I want to see how Cervenka turns out before we make another move like this.
Could sign both to the same deal and double the chances of getting a success out of it.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Body Checker

Did Hartley coach him over there?

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Could sign both to the same deal and double the chances of getting a success out of it.
Depending if no one else decent is signed that is a proven FA, I would consider that. I just think its fairly risk to use that much cap space on 2 unproven NHL players. Even though its not real dollars we are paying them, it inhibits our ability to add an impact player via trade (ie. Cammy) if the opportunity presents itself.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:59 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Depending if no one else decent is signed that is a proven FA, I would consider that. I just think its fairly risk to use that much cap space on 2 unproven NHL players. Even though its not real dollars we are paying them, it inhibits our ability to add an impact player via trade (ie. Cammy) if the opportunity presents itself.
We're going to spend to the cap anyways, so mine as well pay the best possible or potential player for each cap dollar. I agree we should put that money elsewhere, such as defense, but if need that forward over a defense, we should make that deal regardless of the potential addition problems.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:24 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
This. I didnt mean swiss players are bad or anything. I just meant it was like comparing the EPL or La Liga to the MLS kind of thing.
Sorry, guess i got this the wrong way, just too tired of all those swiss players coming back after like half a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Did Hartley coach him over there?
He's playing at Zug, so its Dough Shedden as Coach.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Nemisz is converting to being a centerman fulltime, so while he might be ready to play RW in the NHL I don't think he is ready to be a center due to inexperience at the postion. I am a huge Nemisz fan but I think he has another full year in the AHL ahead of him.

Old
05-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Baertschi - Cervenka - Brunner

Not bad.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:18 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Nemisz is converting to being a centerman fulltime, so while he might be ready to play RW in the NHL I don't think he is ready to be a center due to inexperience at the postion. I am a huge Nemisz fan but I think he has another full year in the AHL ahead of him.
Most centers start the wing in the nhl to get use the speed, I think he is ready to be given a shot.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Most centers start the wing in the nhl to get use the speed, I think he is ready to be given a shot.
I think he is ready too, but I think they want him to come up as a centerman but give him a full year at center to work on his positioning at that spot and improving on draws.

I think he will be the guy that works his way up starting as the 4th line center and earning more ice-time with more experience. I am very high on Nemisz still, maybe because my expectations are never that high for guys. But I still believe he will be a 2nd/3rd liner and elite penalty killer.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:36 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I think he is ready too, but I think they want him to come up as a centerman but give him a full year at center to work on his positioning at that spot and improving on draws.

I think he will be the guy that works his way up starting as the 4th line center and earning more ice-time with more experience. I am very high on Nemisz still, maybe because my expectations are never that high for guys. But I still believe he will be a 2nd/3rd liner and elite penalty killer.
Those are also my expectations but I think they will try Cervenka at center so having Nemisz on the wing would allow for in game adjustments.