HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dump Pang

Old
01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
zico20

vCash: 500
Dump Pang

I know this was discussed last year but damn, I can barely get through an entire game listening to him. Besides being annoying he has already made a couple of glaring mistakes not to mention a dumb comment or two. I really did try to like him but it just is not happening.

Boy do I miss Wilson and Federko!!

zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Pang is a national talent. The Blues were lucky/smart to snag him from Phoenix. His self deprecating humor, large hockey network (relationships with players, etc) and sharp IQ for the game bring lots of value to the broadcast.

He's instrumental in bringing Bernie into the broadcast in a way that is smooth and adds value, allowing Federko to do what he's good at (interact with players and make on-ice observations) without fumbling through trying to be a color guy (like we used to endure).

He and John Kelly have finally developed some chemistry, which covers some of Kelly's flaws. Kelly is excellent at identifying players correctly (not just Blues players) while still in the flow of action. Pang allows him to shine in that area, and actually lets Kelly show his sense of humor (which he's not great at bringing out on his own).

Nah, you're way off on this one.

I say this as an out-of-town fan who watches a LOT of hockey. I can't always get the Blues broadcast, so I've listened to a lot of the other teams' announcers around the league. Darren Pang is a treasure for the Blues. There's a reason he gets called on to do so many national gigs when the Blues aren't playing (like the Winter Classic, playoff games, etc).

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Honeycutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Pang is a national talent. The Blues were lucky/smart to snag him from Phoenix. His self deprecating humor, large hockey network (relationships with players, etc) and sharp IQ for the game bring lots of value to the broadcast.

He's instrumental in bringing Bernie into the broadcast in a way that is smooth and adds value, allowing Federko to do what he's good at (interact with players and make on-ice observations) without fumbling through trying to be a color guy (like we used to endure).

He and John Kelly have finally developed some chemistry, which covers some of Kelly's flaws. Kelly is excellent at identifying players correctly (not just Blues players) while still in the flow of action. Pang allows him to shine in that area, and actually lets Kelly show his sense of humor (which he's not great at bringing out on his own).

Nah, you're way off on this one.

I say this as an out-of-town fan who watches a LOT of hockey. I can't always get the Blues broadcast, so I've listened to a lot of the other teams' announcers around the league. Darren Pang is a treasure for the Blues. There's a reason he gets called on to do so many national gigs when the Blues aren't playing (like the Winter Classic, playoff games, etc).
+1 Pang is great to have on the broadcast team. I also live out of town, and watch a lot of hockey, and Pang/Kelly are a great combo. Pangs pure excitment about hockey and its players (also not a creepy as Pierre M) covers any techinical mistakes he may make. HOLY JUMPIN!! (

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Panger is Gold.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Pang makes this team a lot of money with his ability to assess teams and entertain.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
I have to jump on the Pang-wagon; I love the guy.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

He'll always talk too much but he's bright, is an engaging personality, and makes the game fun. Like another poster said, he brings the robotic Kelly somewhat to life which is no easy task. Not too mention he gives the Blues more of an (inter)national platform when he's on TSN.

All in all, he's been a good hire after the Kelly/Federko nightmare.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
I think Pang is great, John Kelly on the other hand, I cant stand him. Nothing is worse than his "Thank You Thank You Thank You!" I hate that, drives me nuts

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:32 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Agree with just about everything on here but beyond that he also brings the Blues to the foreground in other national broadcasts.

I remember last year or the year before he would bring up pietrangelo in discussions about defenders and at that point Pie was really only a treasure to people who watched the blues regularly.

This kind of marketing can be really effective in growing the image of a team or player.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:32 PM
stlweir

Love me some Panger!

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

As an outsider, I think Pang is awesomely entertaining. It would not be wise to dump him.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I love me some Panger, he just has so much passion and it comes through in his broadcast. I want him around for a long time.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:50 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Pang is awesome. He's knowledgeable and enthusiastic. With Pang and Federko, the Blues have the absolute most passionate and lighthearted hockey analysts on tv.

John Kelly doesn't deliver my favorite play-by-play calls, but he's incredibly professional and prepared. He knows all of the opposing team's players, even the tweeners.

All three guys are huge in the community and connect with fans. Ken Wilson, by contrast, was a self-important doofus who refused to get involved and the Blues haven't missed him for a second.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
ChicagoBlues

I have to echo each reply to the OP.

Zico, if you haven't already, listen to a few broadcasts (TV or radio) of other teams or pick up a stream of the opposing team's broadcast.

You will hear a glaring difference between the Blues TV announcers and others. Nashville has a couple good ones. They are not as homerish as others. The Blackhawks announcers have gotten better since they won the Cup.

The Dallas Stars announcers were terrible, imo, in this last game against them.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Mouse21*

i hate pang more than anyone else on television and always have.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
i hate pang more than anyone else on television and always have.
That's creepy and weird.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
ExJbeck

Pang loves the Blues.
I love the Blues.
I love Pang.

He is such a homer, I can't get enough. And unlike other homer broadcaster's he has zero bias. I will be extremely disappointed when Panger is not in the booth.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

I love what he brings to the booth, and after getting Center Ice this year and listening to other broadcasts, we definitely are lucky here with what we have in Kelly and Panger.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:09 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I love Panger's excitement for the game. He's hysterical. He says some dumb stuff from time to time, but I love having a color man that provides some color. Bernie knows a lot about the game, and is good with the players, but he is not nearly as good as Panger at bringing comedy and excitement for the game. I also like John Kelly. He's a little robotic at times, but he's incredibly professional, and is always on top of his game. Listening to other broadcasters, it's clear that most of them don't know the players on the other team aside from the star players. JK is great at identifying players from each team and calling a smooth game. There are very rarely fumbles, or stuttering from Mr. Kelly. I think we are very lucky to have them both.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Mike Liut

I love me some Pang

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:38 PM
417blues

Pang is great to watch, but has anyone else noticed he's dropping Pangisms at a greater rate this year?

And why wouldn't he!

417blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Getting off topic, but I don't mind Kelley. I have to say though, Kerber is much better.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Darren Pang is great.

Bernie Federko is good.

John Kelly is not Ken Wilson and thus I'm never going to really be able to embrace him the same way.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
schronote

Pang is awesome, I hope our broadcasting team sticks together for at least a few more years.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:03 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
Getting off topic, but I don't mind Kelley. I have to say though, Kerber is much better.
I love the radio crew. Complete goofballs, overflowing with legitimate excitement and honesty.