HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All purpose Shawn Thornton Thread: Update: Out 7-10 days (Concussion) See post #125

Old
02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
How many 30+ yr old fighters return from such KO's and debilitating concussions like that ? I'm still waiting for the return of Ivanans in the NHL after watching him get dropped in similar fashion by Macintyre.
the difference here is subtract the fighting and ivanans is a borderline echl player; thornton is probably a aaaa player but still

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Down the line Anthony Camara? He is probably too small and talented
Not THAT talented, but too small and not good enough of a fighter to take on heavyweights.

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How many 30+ yr old fighters return from such KO's and debilitating concussions like that ? I'm still waiting for the return of Ivanans in the NHL after watching him get dropped in similar fashion by Macintyre.
Just go through dropyourgloves.com and you'll see many TKOs and KOs on nearly every resume'. Ivanans has 6 fights since then,in other leagues.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Oates2Neely

Bottom line is Buffalo was Boston's punching bag last year. John Scott just gave them some 'swagger'. Not good considering theyre a Division Rival.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Just go through dropyourgloves.com and you'll see many TKOs and KOs on nearly every resume'.
That's the ugly reality of it.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
the difference here is subtract the fighting and ivanans is a borderline echl player; thornton is probably a aaaa player but still
Exactly. The Bruins are successful because they have guys who can play hockey and are also tough. Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Thornton (borderline), Campbell, etc. are all in the NHL even without their fighting skills. Guys like Scott, Laraque or whoever else are there for one reason only. They play 4 mins a night and get their scrap and you hope they don't hurt your team with their complete lack of hockey skill.

Last night, it worked out for Buffalo. I'd argue that that had nothing to do with the fight and everything to do with some terrible decisions by Chara (who had one of the worst games I've ever seen from him) and a couple of others that led to goals. Either way though, one game is not a good reason to decide that your model is wrong and bring in a no talent goon.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
That's the ugly reality of it.
Give me the Campbells,Lucics,Hendricks and all the other willing rough and tumble combatants with hockey talent. Orrs and Scotts make me puke. Fighting's part of hockey but that kind of fighting is ugly and demeaning to the game.Thornton's on the line for me.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I know plenty of chumps on this board will be crying for revenge, but IMO the best thing the Bruins can do is beat Buffalo on the scoreboard the rest of the year and help them miss the playoffs.
I remember Montreal fans saying the same thing before the Bruins were good..

For better or worse, these Bruins are built to drop the hammer...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Give me the Campbells,Lucics,Hendricks and all the other willing rough and tumble combatants with hockey talent. Orrs and Scotts make me puke. Fighting's part of hockey but that kind of fighting is ugly and demeaning to the game.Thornton's on the line for me.
Why I'm such a big fan of Thornton. Until the token fighter is completely out of the game, it's like an arms race. No Thornton, someone else has to step up. Not sure how I feel a/b that. Lucic is a big part of our 1st line. No problem w/ him going if he snaps, same for Chara. But I don't want them put in that position w/ career goons.

Orr is back. You just KNOW Toronto wants another trade w/ us.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Here are your 12-14 forward options .... Bourque, Pandolfo, MacDermid... We are not talking about sitting Thornton or Campbell for a bigger, meaner guy. Would be one of these three. Not exactly the French Connection.
Why can't Spooner get a shot? (I think I might have typed Skinner in an earlier post, so he'd be a good choice too!) And as much as I think he's overrated, isn't Caron almost ready?

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Why I'm such a big fan of Thornton. Until the token fighter is completely out of the game, it's like an arms race. No Thornton, someone else has to step up. Not sure how I feel a/b that. Lucic is a big part of our 1st line. No problem w/ him going if he snaps, same for Chara. But I don't want them put in that position w/ career goons.

Orr is back. You just KNOW Toronto wants another trade w/ us.
I disagree that Lucic or Chara or anyone else is obligated to fight the goons. I would take it right out of their hands each and every game. Not allowed. We're as bad as the rest but our "goon" can play a little.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Number8

Quote:
Can you chill on the hyperbole, please.

We may find out that Thornton has a really bad, debilitating concussion but unless you have an in with MGH, we don't know that yet.

And, as woozy as he was, it was not a KO.

You almost sound like you are happy this happened.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
bp13

Quote:
I'm really puzzled now that our enforcer got knocked out of action people seem to have the turn the other cheek, or ignore the opposition. This team was built to be a rough and tumble, ring the bell type of squad. To dictate. What happened?
It's not turning the other cheek. The Bruins have a ton of tough guys. They lost their designated fighter to a giant, but so what? Are we supposed to think the other 6-8 Bruins players who could easily fight 90% of the league are going to lose their backbone?

This is the toughest team in the league and it's not all because of Thornton. They can survive a few weeks without him without needing to fill his spot with a guy who can't play at this level.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Why can't Spooner get a shot? (I think I might have typed Skinner in an earlier post, so he'd be a good choice too!) And as much as I think he's overrated, isn't Caron almost ready?
I would love it...but he's not on the team right now...Caron is almost healthy...

Spooner-Kelly-Pervs
Caron-Campbell-MacDermid.

Liveable, no?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Can you chill on the hyperbole, please.

We may find out that Thornton has a really bad, debilitating concussion but unless you have an in with MGH, we don't know that yet.

And, as woozy as he was, it was not a KO.

You almost sound like you are happy this happened.
Never happy to see a player injured (unless we're talking about Ulfie, Lemieux, Cooke, Kaleta or Torres), but I'm not surprised at all it happened.

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
WBC8

Quote:
It's not turning the other cheek. The Bruins have a ton of tough guys. They lost their designated fighter to a giant, but so what? Are we supposed to think the other 6-8 Bruins players who could easily fight 90% of the league are going to lose their backbone?

This is the toughest team in the league and it's not all because of Thornton. They can survive a few weeks without him without needing to fill his spot with a guy who can't play at this level.
I hope you are right....

Old
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Number8

Quote:
Never happy to see a player injured (unless we're talking about Ulfie, Lemieux, Cooke, Kaleta or Torres), but I'm not surprised at all it happened.
I agree with that list, but ST fight last night was not a knockout and not at all like Ivanan's/McIntyre fight.

And we don't have a clue how bad ST's concussion is. I'm not saying ST wasn't woozy, but the only thing that stopped Ivanan's going off ice on a stretcher was stubbornness.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
bp13

Quote:
I hope you are right....
What's the worry here? You actually think this team will be intimidated without Thornton?

Is there a fear that Buffalo runs away with the division because they added a goon who can beat anyone up? Nobody is even talking about this today if Chara didn't take the night off and Lucic and Bergeron finished any of their countless great chances. Those are potential worries. The fact our supposed best talent is doing nothing is a worry. Losing our best fighter when we have several other capable ones is not a worry.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
After reading so much about this fight I am convinced Chara will fight him next, Lucic will go with Weber, McQuaid will go after Stafford for his elbow, Ott? maybe Horton

John Scott has apparently taken down the mighty Bruins (how much longer before the Canucks trade for him)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
WBC8

Quote:
What's the worry here? You actually think this team will be intimidated without Thornton?

Is there a fear that Buffalo runs away with the division because they added a goon who can beat anyone up? Nobody is even talking about this today if Chara didn't take the night off and Lucic and Bergeron finished any of their countless great chances. Those are potential worries. The fact our supposed best talent is doing nothing is a worry. Losing our best fighter when we have several other capable ones is not a worry.
No, not at all. I worry about how the team will react when they come out flat and need a spark and Thornton isn't there to provide it. I happen to think he's a very big part of this team, and far bigger off the ice and in the room. I also think his role was so defined..everyone could play hockey because #22 would take care of the thugs. Now, you can ignore the thugs, but it's just very un-Bruinlike.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I would love it...but he's not on the team right now...Caron is almost healthy...

Spooner-Kelly-Pervs
Caron-Campbell-MacDermid.

Liveable, no?
Paille?

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Shawn Thornton was on the Bruins roster because he filled a necessary role and performed a necessary job. Now he is not in the lineup. It seems reasonable to say that either 1) somebody else needs to fill that role, or 2) the role will be unfilled and that is not good, or 3) they need to find somebody else to step in to do that job. If none of those things are true, why was Thornton on the team?

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
After reading so much about this fight I am convinced Chara will fight him next, Lucic will go with Weber, McQuaid will go after Stafford for his elbow, Ott? maybe Horton

John Scott has apparently taken down the mighty Bruins (how much longer before the Canucks trade for him)
The Bruins? Nah. Some of their fans? For sure.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Please. Your disdain for Thornton is only surpassed by your loathing of Bergeron.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

The Bruins seem to agree with the crowd against getting a new heavyweight; considering they called up Providence's leading scorer over another fighter.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote