HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All purpose Shawn Thornton Thread: Update: Out 7-10 days (Concussion) See post #125

Old
02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Fantastic article...

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...49&feedID=3352

Haggs haters of course will dismiss it , but agree or not, a good read.
Haha the only thing this fat idiot has ever gone after is a buffet, its just as irritating to see the same webpage posting a link to Felger and Mazz discussing if Chara should have fought him.

Buffalo didn't dominate the game the Bruins were in control most of it. Sometimes it just falls apart. Vanek makes 8 mil a year and had his career game as well, that obviously helps. Vanek would be the best player in the NHL if he bothered to play like that more often. Sucks it happened against us. And Tuukka got outplayed by Miller.

Its easy for idiots like him and Felger to slam Chara. Chara has fought plenty of guys as tough as Scott. The Bruins cannot make that tradeoff of Scott for Chara. You do that and Buffalo gets rewarded for dressing someone who cant play hockey.

You might as well blame THornton for getting his ass kicked because the captain is now getting criticized b/c Thornton lost badly and couldn't wrestle another victory. THat is more sensible than the reasoning people who want to bash Chara are using.

Blame Seguin for coming back from Europe and sucking. How come our leading scorer from last year couldn't play well a night Vanek goes off?

Marchand has been carrying the goal scoring load for that line, why does Tyler get a pass? If Brad had played as ****** as Seguin has there'd be 10 threads on this board slamming him.

This isn't directed at you Whammer but can anyone on here imagine how much **** Marchand would be getting if Seguin and Bergeron were playing great and he was struggling?

And while I like Thornton and hope he is OK, the truth is he got his ass kicked by Scott. If he had managed to wrestle successfully with the big fella we probably win the game and Buffalo doesn't have their biggest win in 10 years which they are celebrating like a Stanley Cup championship. A lot of the blame for this lies on Thornton catching a beating. Not sure why he is some noble warrior just b/c he happened to lose. Its his job to fight those guys and he had won a lot of bouts going into that one. He lost, and now the Sabres are apparently in our heads like we were in theres.

How can that be anyone but Thornton's fault (if there is someone to blame for Scott being allowed to fight noone should have fought that idiot Thornton should have concentrated on hockey.)

Last edited by DaveG: 02-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.
MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Haha the only thing this fat idiot has ever gone after is a buffet, its just as irritating to see the same webpage posting a link to Felger and Mazz discussing if Chara should have fought him.

Buffalo didn't dominate the game the Bruins were in control most of it. Sometimes it just falls apart. Vanek makes 8 mil a year and had his career game as well, that obviously helps. Vanek would be the best player in the NHL if he bothered to play like that more often. Sucks it happened against us. And Tuukka got outplayed by Miller.

Its easy for idiots like him and Felger to slam Chara. Chara has fought plenty of guys as tough as Scott. The Bruins cannot make that tradeoff of Scott for Chara. You do that and Buffalo gets rewarded for dressing someone who cant play hockey.

You might as well blame THornton for getting his ass kicked because the captain is now getting criticized b/c Thornton lost badly and couldn't wrestle another victory. THat is more sensible than the reasoning people who want to bash Chara are using.

Blame Seguin for coming back from Europe and sucking. How come our leading scorer from last year couldn't play well a night Vanek goes off?

Marchand has been carrying the goal scoring load for that line, why does Tyler get a pass? If Brad had played as ****** as Seguin has there'd be 10 threads on this board slamming him.

This isn't directed at you Whammer but can anyone on here imagine how much **** Marchand would be getting if Seguin and Bergeron were playing great and he was struggling?

And while I like Thornton and hope he is OK, the truth is he got his ass kicked by Scott. If he had managed to wrestle successfully with the big fella we probably win the game and Buffalo doesn't have their biggest win in 10 years which they are celebrating like a Stanley Cup championship. A lot of the blame for this lies on Thornton catching a beating. Not sure why he is some noble warrior just b/c he happened to lose. Its his job to fight those guys and he had won a lot of bouts going into that one. He lost, and now the Sabres are apparently in our heads like we were in theres.

How can that be anyone but Thornton's fault (if there is someone to blame for Scott being allowed to fight noone should have fought that idiot Thornton should have concentrated on hockey.)
Am I understanding you correctly? That the Bruins lost last night because Thornton got his ass kicked?

Last edited by DaveG: 02-02-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:36 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? That the Bruins lost last night because Thornton got his ass kicked?
IDK.

We lose one game and there is a sky is falling sentiment among our fans while Buffalo is celebrating like they won the Cup.

The reason for this is that Thornton decided to fight Scott, lost, and in turn rewarded a rival team of the Bruins for signing a guy who can't skate or play hockey. Without the fight its another loss. B/C of the fight Buffalo has a new identity as the new kid on the block as the toughest team in the league, they are currently tougher than the previous toughest team in the league (us) who are their main rivals, and the signing of Scott who can't play hockey close to teh NHL level looks like a master stroke. (True or not this is now the opinion of many.)

Hard to explain, and I don't want to bash Thornton when he is injured, but him fighting Scott and losing badly rewarded Buffalo big time for signing that bum. It was a bad decision in hindsight.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Neely08

Quote:

Fully agree Chara fighting Doug "the mummy" Glatt is a horrible trade off when ultimately your objective is to get the points. Not to mention playing right into Ruff and Miller's drama. But if I knew Chara was going to do a Rick Zombo impression for the rest of the night, he may as well have gone out and at least got some payback for Thorty.

Thornton did what he did precisely so someone like Lucic or Chara wouldn't have to. Furthermore, he knows that it's his job, more so than anyone on the team. Yeah, he obviously lost, but you should have a little bit more respect for the guy, and the situation he was in. The fact you recognize Chara's importance on the ice vs Scott, then run over Thornton for jumping on the grenade, is as big of a contradiction as I've ever read on here.

As far as Haggs, what else is he going to write a/b w/o TT around? Tuukka giving it up glove side on a 30 footer he saw all the way?

Last edited by DaveG: 02-02-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Fully agree Chara fighting Doug "the mummy" Glatt is a horrible trade off when ultimately your objective is to get the points. Not to mention playing right into Ruff and Miller's drama. But if I knew Chara was going to do a Rick Zombo impression for the rest of the night, he may as well have gone out and at least got some payback for Thorty.

Thornton did what he did precisely so someone like Lucic or Chara wouldn't have to. Furthermore, he knows that it's his job, more so than anyone on the team. Yeah, he obviously lost, but you should have a little bit more respect for the guy, and the situation he was in. The fact you recognize Chara's importance on the ice vs Scott, then run over Thornton for jumping on the grenade, is as big of a contradiction as I've ever read on here.

As far as Haggs, what else is he going to write a/b w/o TT around? Tuukka giving it up glove side on a 30 footer he saw all the way?
You can bet your boots Haggs is happy as a clam over all this. Controversy! Controversy!

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

What's with all this fighting panic after 1 loss fight?

The Bruins will keep on fighting.

They'll keep on hitting and working hard.

But more importantly, they'll keep on winning and will be fighting for 1st in the conference.

Who's next? Toronto? Back in 1st...

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post

I respect Thornton. But it was in Boston. Scott was much bigger than him. And you only go in the first period if you are going to win. Thornton thought he could take Scott. It was poor judgement. And the aftermath is the Bruins are no longer the toughest team in the league and Buffalo now is.

So you better believe I will criticize a plug like him for giving our division rivals an enourmous psychological boost before I get on the best defenseman in the NHL.

I don't like staged fights either and hate that Scott has a role in the NHL.

I wish he concentrated on hockey instead; I do not think he has played well so far this year and now he is injured I have no clue if he is the best option once he returns. I don't want to see him lose like that again. I know everyone will want "leadership" and this and that but it might be time to bump Paille up to the third line and build a brand new 4th around GC.

Sorry if I am not getting sentimental and all about it.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
What's with all this fighting panic after 1 loss fight?

The Bruins will keep on fighting.

They'll keep on hitting and working hard.

But more importantly, they'll keep on winning and will be fighting for 1st in the conference.

Who's next? Toronto? Back in 1st...
It's called Boston fans. Is anyone shocked by this?

A loss =

Old
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's called Boston fans. Is anyone shocked by this?

A loss =
Again everyone seems to miss the point. Its not the lost fight its the lost player....for who knows how long. People need to go back to Black Eyes post and answer it.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I respect Thornton. But it was in Boston. Scott was much bigger than him. And you only go in the first period if you are going to win. Thornton thought he could take Scott. It was poor judgement. And the aftermath is the Bruins are no longer the toughest team in the league and Buffalo now is.

So you better believe I will criticize a plug like him for giving our division rivals an enourmous psychological boost before I get on the best defenseman in the NHL.

I don't like staged fights either and hate that Scott has a role in the NHL.

I wish he concentrated on hockey instead; I do not think he has played well so far this year and now he is injured I have no clue if he is the best option once he returns. I don't want to see him lose like that again. I know everyone will want "leadership" and this and that but it might be time to bump Paille up to the third line and build a brand new 4th around GC.

Sorry if I am not getting sentimental and all about it.
What?

Every single player who has every dropped the gloves regularly in the NHL has lost a fight. EVERY player. Thornton is one of the best in the business but he's going to lose now and then. His losing has absolutely nothing to do with the toughness of the Bruins. The very idea is absurd.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:08 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

He fought a guy he gave up 60 lbs too. Trooper.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Again everyone seems to miss the point. Its not the lost fight its the lost player....for who knows how long. People need to go back to Black Eyes post and answer it.
No, there is plenty of panic and overreaction on this board. I understand that losing a player is a cause for concern. Concern does not manifest itself in cries for the Bruins to rush out and sign goons and Lucic to challenge Scott to a cage match or else the Bruins will lose the respect of the entire NHL.

It's typical fan overreaction. I don't know if it's particularly absurd among Boston fans; perhaps all hockey fans go off the deep end on a regular basis. But I do know it can reach some silly heights here.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
blazenlo

I love Thornton! All of this forum attention/worries of his loss last night proves one thing for sure. He is definitely more than JUST our enforcer. Do you think if Scott(goon) would have gone down and now being unavailable for a week or two that he would be missed in Buffalo as much as Sugar?

Get well soon Shawn! Gonna miss watching you play in the next few!

blazenlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Some people here will just duck that post --which is fitting because they are some of the same people who want to have a selectively "tough" team that ducks certain opponents.

btw: Kassian brings a good board game and a scary hitting game that we do not currently have up front. Try him out and if it doesn't work then let him walk. fwiw: the Wild let Boogaard and then Scott go because they knew they had Kassian in the wings:

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Would love Kassian as the occasional heavyweight and Luke Gazdic as the younger, bigger, tougher Thornton.MacDermid clearly isn't the guy we need for that.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Neely08

Delete...

Waste of time

Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Some people here will just duck that post --which is fitting because they are some of the same people who want to have a selectively "tough" team that ducks certain opponents.

btw: Kassian brings a good board game and a scary hitting game that we do not currently have up front. Try him out and if it doesn't work then let him walk. fwiw: the Wild let Boogaard and then Scott go because they knew they had Kassian in the wings:
Can he realistically be had?

Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

You don't want Thorton taking more shots to the head until he's fully healed.

CTE is real.... You'ed hate to read about him eating a bullet in a few years because of some undiagnosed brain damage .

Wouldn't be the first time.

Scary stuff

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
You don't want Thorton taking more shots to the head until he's fully healed.

CTE is real.... You'ed hate to read about him eating a bullet in a few years because of some undiagnosed brain damage .

Wouldn't be the first time.

Scary stuff
If this happens to Thornton @ 30 then that is one thing, if he has to take extended time off from the best league in the world at 35? Recchi was damned slow at 37 and he is a first ballot hall-of-famer.

I dunno, if/when he comes back I'm great with him fighting the Brandon Prusts of the world (you know, tough, tough guys that just don't have crazy reach on him) but his days of fighting super-heavies should be over.... and if not him, who? I suppose this is why I come back to Kassian, because he can do the job and can be developed into a hitting/fighting 4th liner that keeps the heavies off of Lucic/Chara.

btw: the Montreal fans are loving this, as too are their media who have tagged him "Big John Stud".

Old
02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I don't understand what's so wrong with that. Is it a manhood thing on this board or something?

If ducking guys like John Scott is wrong, then I don't ever wanna be right. Fighting him is absolutely 100% stupid. He can't do anything but club you to the ice. The solution to that problem is simple. Don't fight em and he's utterly and unceremoniously nullified.

Better yet, chirp em the entire time he's lumbering around out there. Meatheads like that can't help themselves. He'll inevitably take a penalty and then you've not only won, but you've effectively ended his night because Ruff would have had no choice but to bench em. Not to mention they'd be the team playing with a shorter bench and not us (in hindsight of course).

Real dual purpose players like Chris Neil or Brandon Prust are the ones the B's should be concerned with; because if you don't fight them, they have the ability to create absolute havoc out there, and bring the game intensity to pretty unsafe levels. Those are the guys you HAVE to fight.

I'm not gonna trash Sugar for stepping up to the plate. He definitely knew he stood a real chance of not only losing that fight, but getting dinged up worse than usual in the process. It's just too bad that he's really hurt this time.

Say what you want about why we lost that game (yes, I know it's just 1 game, Artemis ), but seeing your friend and emotional leader get wasted like that doesn't feel real good. Some stuff went on later in that game that really needed to be dealt with, but went unchecked...not sayin', I'm just sayin'. Woulda been nice to see someone do their best Sugar impersonation at those points in the game...

Anyway. If you're not gonna duck the plugs, then at least line another plug up across from em. We don't have anyone to match a guy like that, but we did have Macdermid ready to rock. Not that he would have fared any better, but winning that fight wasn't the point. Getting Scott off the ice in a timely fashion (preferably without an injury) so's a hockey game could break out afterwards, is the point.

Shawn should have been given a flyer on that fight, even if he didn't want 1. The guy can play hockey. I wonder sometimes if he himself knows that. I hope he knows how the fans actually feel about what he brings to the table as a hockey player and a team leader. Not just a scrapper.

I'm gonna just go ahead and blame Claude for this 1. He has a dangerously low level of hate on these boards lately.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Colt.45Orr

I don't want to see a MacIntyre type on our 4th line on a regular basis -- I think he is a borderline NHLer at best, but he cancels out what Scott brings to the table. Sabres fans are peeing their pants with joy over what their plug did to Thornton and the Bruin's players left didn't (read: shouldn't) want anything to do with him. Steve MacIntyre is one of the few players in the world that could beat him up. Keep him around him as the 14th guy, play him against any team that wants to bring a super heavy against us and let Thornton play all the other games. Teams will not want to bother dressing a super heavy if it means MacIntyre goes in to face him. The guys just has heavy hands that hurt people.

I gotta say man, when I was younger I loved the idea of always having a big goon on the 4th line. Now I hate the idea --I want guys that can play and scrap if they have to, not the other way around... but once teams decide to dress a complete PLUG like Scott to take on a legit hockey player like Thornton then I just feel like, "screw it; fight fire with fire". We'll bring in a monster too and our toughest guy will then take on your toughest guy (essentially cancel each other out) and then your boys better go into hiding for the havoc that is going to unfold next with your next 5 toughest guys and ours.

Last edited by Colt.45Orr: 02-02-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 03:03 AM
westernhome

Thornton losing the fight didn't cause anything, it was the team response to Thornton losing the fight that is the problem.... they sat there as Scott gestured and made fun of them, they played softer when Scott was on the ice again, Scott got some slaps in on Seidenberg as the team watched, etc

the proper response to Scott's actions would for it to provoke fire from the team and taking it out on the whole Buffalo team, instead the Bruins pretended nothing happened and acted like the Canucks out there

Scott's actions weren't the only thing, other Sabres were playing bigger and with more heart after Scott's antics

Thornton deserves all praise and respect, it is the way the rest of the team responded after their tough leader went down that is the entire problem I had with that game ...other people suggesting Shawn shouldn't have gone with Scott and trying to blame Thornton... that is ridiculous, that would have played right into Scott's intimidation game even moreso... Thornton did what he does better than anyone

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Thornton deserve respect and admiration for the work he's doing with the team. He never refused to answer the bell and let's face it: You need a serious pair of .... to take on a 6'8 + 275 pounds opponent. The result of the fight was "accessory" in my book. Kind of sad to see that we couldn't have Shawn's back...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote