HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

All purpose Shawn Thornton Thread: Update: Out 7-10 days (Concussion) See post #125

Old
02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
No, they're at the tail end of three games in four nights and the previous games were intense and hard-fought. Fatigue often manifests itself in mental rather than physical breakdowns; they played hard last night, but they didn't play smart. They spent a lot of time chasing around and getting caught out of position, and Buffalo took advantage of it. That probably had a lot more to do with it than preoccupation with a fight. Since when did the Bruins ever get preoccupied with a fight?
More that Thornton didn't return then the fight itself. Who knows, only they do. They did turn it on, then went back into the crapper after the idiotic penalties by Lucic and Chara.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
So he got beat by a 6'8 scrub, and now all of a sudden his career is over?

Lawd...
this.

The bruins cycle four lines. Please tell me where a player like scott or a different true goon fits in... It won't happen.

The bruins will keep a fighter in the roster but it will never be a goon. it will be a hybrid type player than can play but can also throw em. and i think thorty still fits that bill well.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
And if he wasn't a giant you would have never known he was out there.

While I agree Thornton is nearing the end of his career, I don't agree with all the doom and gloom.

The B's didn't lose because no one challenged Scott after he beat Thornton, they lost because of poor decisions with the puck and defensive break downs. That and Vanek played a hell of a game. 3 games in 4 nights has to wear on a team as well.
Those wearing black and gold knew where he was at all times. One guy out, 2 guys that had to go down the tunnel to shake off the cobwebs. Sabres having all kinds of time and space for those goals that had Tuuk dead to rights. You guys think all that happens in a vacuum? This Buf situation needs to be nipped in the bud during our next meeting.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Those wearing black and gold knew where he was at all times. One guy out, 2 guys that had to go down the tunnel to shake off the cobwebs. Sabres having all kinds of time and space for those goals that had Tuuk dead to rights. You guys think all that happens in a vacuum? This Buf situation needs to be nipped in the bud during our next meeting.
Amen...Buffalo beat them and beat them up ...just like what we used to do to them. Will be interesting to see if the bully is quiet or not next game after getting smacked in the face in this one.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post

John Scott was off the ice for ~55 minutes last night. His presence wasn't what caused the Bruins to play **** defense and make horrible decisions with the puck.

If Buffalo was taking runs at our guys without any kind of response, then maybe you'd have something, but last night was a case of a 5-0-1 team getting a bit too complacent and being dumb when it turned out that the game meant more to the Sabres than it did to them.

As far as Thornton is concerned, he'll be missed more because he can play a regular shift, and when he's on his game he can be physical on the forecheck. The fighting is a nice benefit, but the last thing the organization needs to do is panic and waste a spot on a guy who plays one or two shifts a period.
They won't. The Bruins F.O. are not HF board posters.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I think being 'team tough' or 'tough to play against' is the team's identity. The media/fans have hyped them as being big and tough; but as has been pointed out here ad nauseum, they are not that big of a team.

Last night was a tough break, but I think claiming that our identity is ruined because of it is an overreaction. We didn't turtle, or cower away, we just got beat. It sucks, but bounce back and play harder. I think they will.
The Bruins are viewed league wide as being big and tough mainly because they have Lucic/Horton skating on the 1st line and Chara playing 30 minutes a game on D. From an overall standpoint, they aren't that big (although mainly just a lack of size on the 2nd and 3rd line). Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always believed the perception of being "big and bad" has always given the Bruins a psychological edge.

I think it's quite clear division rivals in Buffalo, Montreal, and Toronto have adjusted their roster in an attempt give their clubs some physical push back when it comes to facing the Bruins. I don't know If I want Thornton being the one answering the bell when these teams come flexing their new muscle and trying to prove they won't be pushed around.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
kutskova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Total agree!

kutskova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
WBC8

Quote:
They won't. The Bruins F.O. are not HF board posters.
Just like the Bruins will never change their lineup when the Sabres come to town because they got tougher...

Didn't we hear the same thing when some suggested benching Bourque and inserting MacDermid weeks ago for this game?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Just like the Bruins will never change their lineup when the Sabres come to town because they got tougher...

Didn't we hear the same thing when some suggested benching Bourque and inserting MacDermid weeks ago for this game?
What's that got to with wasting a spot on a goon who plays one or two shifts a game? Some posters will call for that, but I'd bet my house the Bruins would never do so. Why should they? Because they lost a game and Thornton got hurt? OH THE HORROR.

Guys get hurt. It sucks, but it's hockey, not the zombie apocalypse.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

The Bruins lost a fight. It happens. No need to change the entire team because of it.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:

MacDermid being utterly invisible makes it highly unlikely the Bruins will do that again.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
SpitfireIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Remember when your favourite faithful dog started to get a limp and you --as if all of a sudden-- realized just how old he had become? It happened to me a few years ago with my long-time buddy, who passed away only a year later.

I guess that is how I feel about Shawn Thornton in some ways after tonight. I'm suddenly more aware that he isn't going to be with us (NHL) much longer.

A few years ago I mentioned a few times that it would be nice if he could get the Brad May treatment in his final few years and not have to be the #1 heavyweight to take on all comers... but sometime after that it was like he turned back time and I forgot that he is getting really, really old for an enforcer.

It is tricky because it is a young man's position, and yet he has done it so well for so long but I'm reminded tonight that he is going to turn 36 before next season, his last with the Bruins. Most guys fizzle from the fight game before 30. Remember Sandy McCarty's career here.

I believe he is only 3 years older than Brashear, who seems ancient to me. Brashear had an aura of invincibility about him until Belak dropped him (concussion). A year later it was all she wrote for Brash's career.

I'm not sure when or how Thornton comes back from this concussion but, even if he rebounds brilliantly from it, he cannot continue to turn back father time on a nightly basis against the huge beasts he faces.

MacDermid isn't a heavyweight enforcer but could end up being a nice energy/grinder/scrapper. So who does that leave?

I'd really like to pick up Matt Kassian (6'5 -240pds) for cheap and carry him as a spare forward mentoring under Thornton for the next year. If he doesn't turn out then you likely didn't give up much in the first place. He is one of the nicest guys you will meet in all of pro hockey and is an excellent, clean and devastating hitter as well. About a decade younger than Thornton, he has a lot of life left in him.

This isn't a shot at Thornton, the guy should never buy a drink in Boston again and should be on NESN as soon as he hangs em up, but next year surely has to be his final year and it could end up being a rough finish getting there.

Thoughts?

**btw** not celebrating being right at all, but I had a baad feeling about tonight vs. Scott. Thornton did well surprising Boogaard but Scott obviously watched tape and knew what to avoid. People thought because Thornton hangs in with Orr and Orr beat Scott that, therefor, it was logical that Thornton and Scott would be close. But Colton Orr always does very well against really tall guys. Orr has freakishly long arms (used to be a very good soccer keeper) even for his height and can connect from distance, where as Thornton needs to get in close and hold on for dear life on big guys until he can get some jabs free... but will never do much damage.
My goodness colt. The guy lost one fight to a giant. Even in his twenties he may well have been tuned up by Scott. It was one single fight. Shawn has a goal already this year and besides a bad clearing attempt has been playing pretty well. He will be back and I bet he fights Scott again before the year is out.

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:

Only three shots connected...three jackhammers to the ear. Could have been worse.
I realize the ear is a really sensitive spot in terms of head injuries, but it didn't seem to me like there was much to them. I thought it was the uppercut that caught Thornton that really stunned him, but there really isn't any camera that had a good shot of it. Either way, Thornton stood in there and took his beating. Can't fault him for that. Can't win em all

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
kutskova

Quote:
What's that got to with wasting a spot on a goon who plays one or two shifts a game? Some posters will call for that, but I'd bet my house the Bruins would never do so. Why should they? Because they lost a game and Thornton got hurt? OH THE HORROR.

I think your missing the point. Scott played a few shift and managed to knock Shawn out, elbow pev's and give a boost to his team. You must have seen buffalo playing with more confidence. What the harm in having an extra true heavyweight to fight the bigger guys, and give Shawn a break.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Before anyone whines..

We are not going to have 4 (or more) threads on Shawn Thornton or anyone else...

not even Soderberg.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
WBC8

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
The Bruins lost a fight. It happens. No need to change the entire team because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
MacDermid being utterly invisible makes it highly unlikely the Bruins will do that again.
Jesus we are talking about the 14th forward here.

Pandolfo, MacDermid or Kassian (example). Which would you chose? How about the guy who can step up, help #22 out when needed for 6-8 games a year? None of them are going to do much anyways.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutskova View Post
I think your missing the point. Scott played a few shift and managed to knock Shawn out, elbow pev's and give a boost to his team. You must have seen buffalo playing with more confidence. What the harm in having an extra true heavyweight to fight the bigger guys, and give Shawn a break.
Don't you know, adding a 14th forward like that is changing the entire face of the team!!! Give me a ****ing break.

Fine, let Shawn get better, knowing the man he is he will want to give it another go, and get knocked the **** out again.

Part of the Bruins identity is having a guy that fights the other teams heavyweight...

But you guys are right, I'm sure the team will be pumped and inspired with a Pandolfo penalty kill if needed or a MacDermid attempt at a check for the 4 minutes they would play in a game.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
kutskova

Quote:
Don't you know, adding a 14th forward like that is changing the entire face of the team!!! Give me a ****ing break.

Fine, let Shawn get better, knowing the man he is he will want to give it another go, and get knocked the **** out again.

Part of the Bruins identity is having a guy that fights the other teams heavyweight...

But you guys are right, I'm sure the team will be pumped and inspired with a Pandolfo penalty kill if needed or a MacDermid attempt at a check for the 4 minutes they would play in a game.
Good to know someone else thinks like I do. I'm down for kassian or Big Mac.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
bossfan

For a player like Thornton who makes his living by fighting and taking blows to the head I have a feeling he will end up being out longer than the 7 to 10 days that are being estimated.

bossfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Shaun
beauty

Bring in Mutant McGrattan and let him devastate the opposition.

And he makes half of what Thornton does

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Shawn !

Scott looked like an AHL (at best) goon. Shawn can actually play hockey and will be missed.

02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I am watching High Plains Drifter before the rematch on February 10th.

Actually do people even care that the Bruins play the Sabres twice in 5 days in Buffalo

Gawd I hope Cody McCormick and Patrick Kaleta play

if we can't get hockey's version of The Stranger to ride into the Aud and paint the place red, how about Cam Neely on the bench with cowboy hat and unlit rumpled up cigar glaring over at his one-time speed bag Lindy Ruff

so much fun this hockey stuff

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
Before anyone whines..

We are not going to have 4 (or more) threads on Shawn Thornton or anyone else...

not even Soderberg.
Thank you. moderators.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Shawn !

Scott looked like an AHL (at best) goon. Shawn can actually play hockey and will be missed.
The Bruins don't need that.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
Before anyone whines..

not even Soderberg.
no need, Comcast is offering a Shawn Thornton channell

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote