HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maf

Old
02-05-2013, 04:31 AM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
Maf

Vokoun seems to back to his good old shape from the Florida days and MAF has been terrible so far. What can MAF land in a trade?

I'm thinking the answer should be the classic "a winger for Crosby". But how good of a winger?

While I do think Pittsburgh should trade him, maybe they should wait until closer to the deadline so that they don't sell low on him. He is a mediocre goaltender so I think he will bounce back at least somewhat from his current lousy streak.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
I'd imagine he'd fetch an overpaid veteran winger. That said, he won't be moved this season. Pens like the goalie depth and aren't really desperate for cap space.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:11 AM
oilersfan11

Interesting trade would be Marc-Andre Fleury to New Jersey.

Brodeur can then retire.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Tellmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
Vokoun seems to back to his good old shape from the Florida days and MAF has been terrible so far. What can MAF land in a trade?

I'm thinking the answer should be the classic "a winger for Crosby". But how good of a winger?

While I do think Pittsburgh should trade him, maybe they should wait until closer to the deadline so that they don't sell low on him. He is a mediocre goaltender so I think he will bounce back at least somewhat from his current lousy streak.
MAF hasn't been terrible. He is a bit inconsistent though.

Pens will need a STAR winger to even concider it. But they will also need a good Goalie. Relying on Vokoun alone isn't going to cut it.

Tellmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:49 AM
PSGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmeister View Post
MAF hasn't been terrible. He is a bit inconsistent though.

Pens will need a STAR winger to even concider it. But they will also need a good Goalie. Relying on Vokoun alone isn't going to cut it.
I'd say .897 is pretty lousy and that's the number MAF has so far in the season. Vokoun is pretty clearly better than MAF, both throughout their careers and this season. The only con with Vokoun is his age, but at 36 he still has a few good years in him.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:51 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:

He has been terrible? Stop. Get a grip.

So, with NO GOALIE prospect even close to be ready, you want to trade your current 1A goalie; allow a 35 year old goalie to take over as the top guy and have nothing available behind him. This is the type of idea people that don't use any logic bring to the table. Please do some thinking. Obviously, you didn't.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:54 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Only someone who hasn't seen MAF play this season would say he's been terrible.

He had one below-average game against NYI where he was left to hang, other than that he's been all you can ask for.

He's not getting traded, not by a longshot.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:05 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

He's an average goalie in the league at this point in his career. He could probably fetch a 2nd liner or struggling 1st liner (think Semin last year or Neal with Dallas)

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:08 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Only someone who hasn't seen MAF play this season would say he's been terrible.

He had one below-average game against NYI where he was left to hang, other than that he's been all you can ask for.

He's not getting traded, not by a longshot.
Exactly. He hasn't watched one single game this year. How many of those goals allowed were on him as compared to the defense or the lousy effort by forwards in front of him. I can name three that weren't on him for starters. He doesn't realize mistakes by the blueliners or the forwards giving up the puck and it landing in the back of the net does affect a goalie's save percentage. Maybe the OP needs to think and watch before posting.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Still...Fleury has been one of our best players over the course of this roller coaster of a year so far, despite the limited amount of games, it has been a bumpy road...

I guess we shouldn't have depth at a position? Is that the deal? Vokoun plays a decent game or two and now we can trade our SC winning starter? And start a guy that has never won a playoff series in his career? Pierre McGuire might call this bizarro world. I call it a cornucopia of excrement.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:20 AM
abhanot

Kessel + Reimer/Scrivens for MAF + 2013 first

Value wise, might be a little too much from Pittsburgh, but Reimer has been playing like the old Reimer.

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Another frustrating thread where people look at MAF's stats rather than watch games and assume he's been terrible.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:34 AM
birddog*

Quote:

MAF is playing terrible by your admission. Played terrible in the playoffs last year. Pick a winger that has had a track record of success but is playing terrible. Dany Heatley comes to mind but Minny doesn't need a goalie. Ditto for Semin, Stastny, Chris Stewart -- comparables but teams don't need a goalie.

Perhaps Kulemin from Toronto. T.O. needs a goalie. Kulemin isn't playing terrible but not scoring at the 30 goal pace of 2 years ago.

Hemsky from Edmonton.

All these guys are comparables in some way or another.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:37 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Another frustrating thread where people look at MAF's stats rather than watch games and assume he's been terrible.
I watched the playoffs last year -- he was horrible. Like really bad.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:37 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhanot View Post

Value wise, might be a little too much from Pittsburgh, but Reimer has been playing like the old Reimer.
Leafs say no thank you. Kessel >>> MAF

Old
02-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I watched the playoffs last year -- he was horrible. Like really bad.
So one playoff series makes him a terrible goaltender? Most of the Pens fans in here are saying he's been one of the Pens' best players so far this season.

And while Fleury did have a bad series vs. Philly, the D in front of him had an even worse series. He was far from the Pens' only problem so let's not act like the Pens playoff exit is squarely on his shoulders.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Still...Fleury has been one of our best players over the course of this roller coaster of a year so far, despite the limited amount of games, it has been a bumpy road...

I guess we shouldn't have depth at a position? Is that the deal? Vokoun plays a decent game or two and now we can trade our SC winning starter? And start a guy that has never won a playoff series in his career? Pierre McGuire might call this bizarro world. I call it a cornucopia of excrement.
It's the Pittsburgh sports fan way. Trade the starters and start the backup.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhanot View Post

So you want to trade a top 10 point producer and a goalie who's playing well and is full of potential for a struggling goalie and a mid-late first? The Leafs could get more for Kessel alone.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:59 AM
birddog*

Quote:
So one playoff series makes him a terrible goaltender? Most of the Pens fans in here are saying he's been one of the Pens' best players so far this season.

And while Fleury did have a bad series vs. Philly, the D in front of him had an even worse series. He was far from the Pens' only problem so let's not act like the Pens playoff exit is squarely on his shoulders.
What have you done for me lately? He's also been mediocre to start this year. Doesn't make him horrible BUT if you are trading him or putting a value on him today it's not what it would normally be. What do you think Ovechkin's value is like today? Certainly not what it was at the start of last season. It's reality -- play crappy and your value goes down.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Vokoun is like 38, why even start a thread for this. He's not going anywhere.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
PSGJ

You fans of the Pens who think that MAF is anything more than mediocre or average if you will are seriously delusional and blinded by the fact that he is a former number 1 pick and a Stanley Cup winner. Vokoun on the other hand is elite and is likely to overtake MAF as the starter.

You do have a point though that the Pens will need a solid back-up if they trade him.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
What have you done for me lately? He's also been mediocre to start this year. Doesn't make him horrible BUT if you are trading him or putting a value on him today it's not what it would normally be. What do you think Ovechkin's value is like today? Certainly not what it was at the start of last season. It's reality -- play crappy and your value goes down.
He's had one sub-par game this season where the team in front of him was every bit as bad, otherwise he's easily been better than mediocre. We can agree to disagree, though.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:12 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
You haven't watched a single minute of his play. He has only had one bad outing and two of those goals he surrendered were on him. Yep, trade MAF and leave it up to a 36 year old and Brad Theissen. That wouldn't be smart. That would be idiotic. MAF certainly hasn't plummeted like Ovechkin has. People who suggest that MAF should be traded are retarded. They not only haven't watched a game this year; they don't know anything about the lack of depth in goal within the organization.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Tripod

Quote:
now you know what Philly fans have to deal with when discussing Bryz.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:34 AM
PSGJ

I shouldn't have mentioned his play this season. It's a small sample size so it doesn't matter anyway. I'm not suggesting he should be traded based on this season nor is it based on the playoffs last year. It's based on his entire career, so forget this season.

Throughout his career he has been average and the Pens currently have a better and cheaper goalie on their team.