HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Kennedy is just a body.

And, again, I'm just trying to put 2+2 together.

1. The Pens had their top two scouts at the game.

2. It wasn't advanced scouting.

3. The only names I see having interest to the Pens are Jokinen (CAR), Kessel, Mac, and Kumy.

4. It could be Jokinen, but I don't see him being the type Shero's seeking. It could be Mac, but someone said he just got the A. It could be preliminary talks about Kessel in anticipation of Lupul returning in, what, about a month. Or, it could be Kulemin.

5. The Fourth Period speculated Kulemin.

So, from there, I asked myself what Ray Shero conceivably might give up that might conceivably interest Dave Nonis.

This is a deep draft, and I don't see it being a 1st. I could see it being a 2nd (which this year is the equivalent of a late first in a normal draft year), but that's not enough. So, I added Harrington, who was a later 2nd round pick but would've been a late first with the benefit of hindsight.

It's the only thing that I possibly could see. And, I'm talking here more as someone trying to remove myself from personal attachment to players or assets (or as a Pens fan who would overpay for Kumy) and to look at it from Shero's and Nonis' perspective.

If there's a Leafs fan able to look at it the same way, then I'd like to know what you think might work from both teams' perspectives.

Maybe Shero is willing to part with a 1st, but I think he's saving it to add Crosby's winger.

Harrington and a 2nd I could see . . . as I said, a 2nd this year is about as good as a very late first with how deep the draft is. And, with the benefit of hindsight, Harrington would've been a late first . . . that guy will contribute next year somewhere.

Maatta is the only other guy I could see, but I think it's almost as unlikely as Shero giving a 1st this year for Kulemin.
Well i think your looking at it from the wrong end of the spectrum my friend.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:10 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
we can get more than matta + 2nd from the pens if we move kulie to them.
Hey, I don't think so.

Let me be clear: I am a Pens fan who absolutely loves Kumy.

In terms of the Pens big five defensive prospects, I think the way they're valued long term is Morrow > Pouliot > Maatta > Despres > Harrington.

I can't see Shero paying more than Harrington and a 2nd.

And, again, that's not me the fan who would give Phil Kessel's good nut to see the Pens get Kumy. It's the dispassionate observer who has seen Shero operate:

He's holding his 1st for a winger for Crosby. I think he's holding Bennett for the same purpose. I don't think he'd consider moving Sutter unless it were for that purpose.

So, logically, one should say 'no chance of a deal'. BUT, Shero sent Savard and Waddell to the game. Maybe it's Jokinen. Maybe it's scouting for opening talks on Kessel. BUT, if it's Kumy, then from Shero's perspective I'd imagine it's centered around Maatta or Harrington and a 2nd (then again, I'm not very imaginative on these things ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Well i think your looking at it from the wrong end of the spectrum my friend.
O'k, then look at it from yours. What from the Pens might Nonis want that you could conceive of Shero giving up for Kulemin? And, in answering that question, try to look at it like Shero, not a Leafs fan.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:10 AM
JMcLeaf
Culture change

vCash: 3936
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I dont know if it would be realistic. But what about something around Saad for Grabo.

LR, what are you thinking we get for Kuli. Or try for. Bennett/Morrow + 2nd?
I doubt they'd move Saad for Grabo. He's their best prospect.

Perhaps something around McNeill/Danault for Grabo. We'd probably have to take back a contract or retain some of Grabo's salary.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:12 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Looking at our D we really lack quality NHL depth. Once everyone is healthy to have a legit NHL D core here is where I would slot everyone

Phanuef ________
Gardiner ________
Franson Gunnarson

If we added a #1/2 and a 3/4 that would really round out. If Gunnar is on our bottom pair that really makes the D core solid cause on this ****** D core is probably a #2.

Moving Liles is the first step to a team needing an offensive D. Gardiner takes Liles spot and then getting a more physical guys like Brooks Orpik

Would Pit even entertain Liles and MacArthur for Orpik?
No, they won't

Old
02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Looking at our D we really lack quality NHL depth. Once everyone is healthy to have a legit NHL D core here is where I would slot everyone

Phanuef ________
Gardiner ________
Franson Gunnarson

If we added a #1/2 and a 3/4 that would really round out. If Gunnar is on our bottom pair that really makes the D core solid cause on this ****** D core is probably a #2.

Moving Liles is the first step to a team needing an offensive D. Gardiner takes Liles spot and then getting a more physical guys like Brooks Orpik

Would Pit even entertain Liles and MacArthur for Orpik?
Never, Pitt would never move that style of D out, when a long PO run is in the works.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I dont know if it would be realistic. But what about something around Saad for Grabo.

LR, what are you thinking we get for Kuli. Or try for. Bennett/Morrow + 2nd?
Prolly Bennett yes and if possible scraps for a first round instead.. I can't see them moving Morrow, after going through last year's draft and getting his D partner Pouliot? Just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Hey, I don't think so.

In terms of the Pens big five defensive prospects, I think the way they're valued long term is Morrow > Pouliot > Maatta > Despres > Harrington.

And, again, that's not me the fan who would give Phil Kessel's good nut to see the Pens get Kumy. It's the dispassionate observer who has seen Shero operate:

He's holding his 1st for a winger for Crosby. I think he's holding Bennett for the same purpose. I don't think he'd consider moving Sutter unless it were for that purpose.

So, logically, one should say 'no chance of a deal'. BUT, Shero sent Savard and Waddell to the game. Maybe it's Jokinen. Maybe it's scouting for opening talks on Kessel. BUT, if it's Kumy, then from Shero's perspective I'd imagine it's centered around Maatta or Harrington and a 2nd (then again, I'm not very imaginative on these things ).

O'k, then look at it from yours. What from the Pens might Nonis want that you could conceive of Shero giving up for Kulemin? And, in answering that question, try to look at it like Shero, not a Leafs fan.
Look at it from our point of view, why would we give up arguably our best defensively responsible forward, who lacks a bit of a mean streak but still capable of producing respectable numbers. Give him up for Harrington, who don't get me wrong is great, but we have similar prospect like him in the field or a bit less like him in Holzer? Heck I'd even go for despres before Harrington. Maatta I can see that but if it was the leafs I dont think we'd base it on Harrington. If anything go for the forwards like Bennett and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I doubt they'd move Saad for Grabo. He's their best prospect.

Perhaps something around McNeill/Danault for Grabo. We'd probably have to take back a contract or retain some of Grabo's salary.
They won't trade us saad, he is their top prospect. If we get Danault I'd be crazy happy.

02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

"We're going to look to make some moves," Nonis said. " We have an excess of forwards and some young players we could look to move"

Old
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
"We're going to look to make some moves," Nonis said. " We have an excess of forwards and some young players we could look to move"
all words until we see some actions.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:23 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i wonder what he's thinking.....

Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hey, I don't think so.

I don't think a 1st. is unreasonable at all. Penguins aren't going to be involved with the top players in the draft.

There is another aspect about this as well, Malkin is UFA after next season. Malkin with Kulemin could happen, maybe not just in Pittsburgh. If both players are already in Pittsburgh maybe it stays that way.

I'm not too hung up on the players coming back, and with the Leafs prospects including Rielly, Finn, Granberg, Nilsson, Percy on defense another defensive prospect doesn't excite me a great deal.

I'd go with an unproven high end forward prospect (risk they ever become NHL players) and the 1st.

Thinking the Leafs might try and fix the structural make-up of the team. The core, IMO, is flawed at the HIQ level.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

TSN ‏@TSN_News
Schneider's agent concerned about goalie's playing time http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415287

the sweet irony.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:25 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Hopefully quantity for quality. Gotta a lot of depth guys could use some higher quality players.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

SO what is the realistic package can we get for Kulemin from the Penguins Beau Bennet + Simon Despres ?

Old
Faltorvo

Quote:
Hey, I don't think so.

The spectrum is this,

Shero is trying to round out a cup roster. Hence they are snooping around.

Whats DNs motivation to move Kuli? His contract is solid, his age fits our roster and is a RC type player.

Your looking at it from Shero, but he is the motivated purchaser and any thought of slight overpayment makes you cringe (i get it).

IMO, Shero would have to put something on the table to motivate DN,

I don't know your prospects , but i know what Pitt is getting and thats a 26 year old, well rounded player that has shown he can score 30 in a season, with no contract issues..

I see why Shero wants him, i don't see why DN does not. If that makes any sense.

Shero is going to have to table something that makes DN think there is a reasonable chance to so called "win" the trade.

Old
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:
when did he say this?
And i remember his last interview he said he wants to move some dmen so maybe he changed his mind and is going to add some dmen

Old
02-05-2013, 11:29 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Based on roster moves so far it looks like Kadri and Frattin are his golden boys and Gardiner may be expendable for the right price. But then again, maybe Holzer/Kostka are being showcased and he considers the likes of MacArthur etc. as "young players". You have to assume that he has no intention on keeping MacArthur if he signed other pending UFA but not him.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
TSN ‏@TSN_News
Schneider's agent concerned about goalie's playing time http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415287

the sweet irony.
Vancouver fans will spin it positively, no doubt

Old
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
SO what is the realistic package can we get for Kulemin from the Penguins Beau Bennet + Simon Despres ?
HMMm maybe one of those and a 1rst or 2nd.

Something in that ballpark to motivate DN.

Frankly, i don't see DN moving him if it's not for a little bit of overpayment.

There is no motivation to move him.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pens fan again . . .

I don't see Morrow getting moved. The Pens have nobody like him on the team or in their system.

Pouliot or Maatta I could see. And, if they really are talking Kessel, then I could see Beau Bennett being on the table.

I'll spare you the bull**** about how great Tangradi will be and try to give you honest opinions on the other three:

1. Bennett, IMO, is going to be a player. In terms of pure skill, there isn't a Penguin more creative with the puck than he outside of Crosby and Malkin. All things being equal, he probably could've made the team. The only question with him right now is how he'd hold up physically, as he's really 10-20 pounds below where you figure he'll be one day. Upside is Kessel, basically. Not sure if his hands are quite as wicked, but he's showing more of a willingness to get his nose dirty than Kessel did at a similar age.

2. Pouliot is a 3-4 year proposition. IF-- big if-- he's everything that he projects to be, then he's the best player in a deal and a top end offensive defenseman. But, with things that project so far out, he's as likely to be Marc Andre Bergeron as he is Brian Rafalski.

3. Maatta might be ready as early as next season. Had the tough WJC, but he's just really a smart, physically ready player who has rapidly developing offensive skills. Downside, I think, is a Gunnarsson type of player.

As I said, if the Pens had two scouts there last night, then it's to talk trade. Unless it's Jokinen (Carolina), then I can't see it possibly being anyone but Kessel, Kulemin, or MacArthur.
Thanks for the input but if you (well Shero...) are asking for Kessel then I think the term "kill your darlings" will have to be used. Not saying Morrow needs to be the guy but I like what I have heard about him.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Vancouver fans will spin it positively, no doubt
Without a doubt. I mean Loungo all of a sudden has started this season with a "new" attitude? I swear when the hell was the guy acting like a crass jackass? He's always been a classy guy !

Old
02-05-2013, 11:36 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Without a doubt. I mean Loungo all of a sudden has started this season with a "new" attitude? I swear when the hell was the guy acting like a crass jackass? He's always been a classy guy !
There's a reason why they're not very well liked around the league.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:36 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Any deal for Kulie from Pitt starts with a 1st. Throw in Tangradi, as he looks like hes worn out his welcome, then add something else.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:38 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Any deal for Kulie from Pitt starts with a 1st. Throw in Tangradi, as he looks like hes worn out his welcome, then add something else.

No interest in Tangradi, and I doubt Nonis does either with McLaren on the roster.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:38 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
A Penguin 1st. isn't even that great.

We're talking these guys:

20. Rasmus Ristolainen 21 TPS Turku (FIN) Oct. 27/94 D R 6'3/203 41 2 10 12 -4
21. Morgan Klimchuk 22 Regina (WHL) Mar. 2/95 C/LW L 5'11/180 53 26 31 57 -3
22. Bo Horvat 30 London (OHL) May 4/95 C/LW L 6'0/200 51 23 23 46 +4
23. Kerby Rychel 23 Windsor (OHL) Oct. 7/94 LW L 6'1/200 51 29 27 56 -15
24. Curtis Lazar 27 Edmonton (WHL) Feb. 2/95 C R 5'11/193 54 27 14 41 +21
25. Jason Dickinson 18 Guelph (OHL) Jul. 4/95 LW L 6'1/179 49 16 22 38 +15
26. Anthony Duclair 26 Quebec (QMJHL) Aug. 26/95 LW L 5'11/180 37 16 20 36 +16
27. JT Compher 24 USNTDP (USHL) Apr. 8/95 C R 5'11/184 25 6 15 21 -
28. Robert Hagg 28 Modo (SWE) Feb. 8/95 D L 6'2/193 26 10 12 22 +6
29. Ryan Hartman 29 Plymouth (OHL) Sep. 20/94 C/RW R 5'11/187 41 20 23 43 +11
30. Valentin Zykov 31 Baie Comeau (QMJHL) May 15/95 RW R 6'0/210 51 32 30 62 +22
31. Nicolas Petan 43 Portland (WHL) Mar. 22/95 C L 5'9/163 53 36 57 93 +55
32. Pavel Buchnevich 35 Cheropovets (KHL) Apr. 17/95 C/LW L 6'1/161 21 5 8 13 -3
33. Madison Bowey 39 Kelowna (WHL) Apr. 22/95 D R 6'1/200 51 9 13 22 +33
34. Laurent Dauphin 53 Chicoutimi (QMJHL) Mar. 26/95 C L 6'0/167 47 23 25 48 +3
35. Ryan Fitzgerald 32 Valley Jr. (EJHL) Oct. 19/94 C L 5'9/168 26 14 16 30 -3
36. Keaton Thompson 25 USNTDP (USHL) Sep. 4/95 D L 6'0/187 40 2 11 13 -
37. Connor Hurley 38 Edina High (USHSW) Sep. 15/95 C L 6'1/172 21 14 26 40 -
38. Eric Comrie 33 Tri City (WHL) Jul. 6/95 G L 6'1/167 37 20 2.62 .915 2

Old
02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
all words until we see some actions.
This. I can't wait until MacA is off this team. He's just lost and looks completely inept out there

Closed Thread