HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
  #176
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
If it meant getting Schneider, I'd trade Gardiner +.

Antropovsky is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
  #177
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
If it meant getting Schneider, I'd trade Gardiner +.
I would like to see a trade like that but I'm hesitant to make a hole there when we don't have anyone to take his place.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
  #178
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I would like to see a trade like that but I'm hesitant to make a hole there when we don't have anyone to take his place.
Can anyone tell my why they would want to shell out so many assets for someone like Cory Schneider?

Yes he's put up impressive numbers and performed well. But it has been in a small sample size infront of a very strong Canucks core.

What sort of numbers do you think he'd put up in Toronto the previous two seasons?

Do you think they'd be similar as his numbers in Vancouver? Because I certainly do not.

I think we'd see numbers similar to Reimers in the same sample size.

I'd much rather stick with James and continue to see what we have, rather than gamble on another goalie that has just as small sample size as James does, that includes Bernier.

If Schneider (wont) or Bernier come cheap, then a tandom along with Reimer may be something to consider.

But I for one am completely content with what we have right now. Spending these assets or continuing to accumulate them until we are a bit closer to being real contenders might be the more appropriate thing to do at this point.

Targets that Nonis should be looking towards that may come somewhat "cheaper" than in previous seasons are Bernier and Weiss. Neither really solve any of our immediate issues, but would certainly be an upgrade in their respective roles.

ChuckWoods is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:31 AM
  #179
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,660
vCash: 100
Trading Kessel+ for Backstrom is a sideways move.

We have a #1C, no great winger to put the puck in the net. I expect Lupul to be a 60 point guy over his contract.

Maybe if Lupul-Backstrom-JvR worked out it would be great.

Pi is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
  #180
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Ok ill counter with: how many #1 centres were traded in the same conference? The ones you liste were all traded to the other conference
conference is a weak argument... and it's spelled center...

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
  #181
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Can anyone tell my why they would want to shell out so many assets for someone like Cory Schneider?

Yes he's put up impressive numbers and performed well. But it has been in a small sample size infront of a very strong Canucks core.

What sort of numbers do you think he'd put up in Toronto the previous two seasons?

Do you think they'd be similar as his numbers in Vancouver? Because I certainly do not.

I think we'd see numbers similar to Reimers in the same sample size.

I'd much rather stick with James and continue to see what we have, rather than gamble on another goalie that has just as small sample size as James does, that includes Bernier.

If Schneider (wont) or Bernier come cheap, then a tandom along with Reimer may be something to consider.

But I for one am completely content with what we have right now. Spending these assets or continuing to accumulate them until we are a bit closer to being real contenders might be the more appropriate thing to do at this point.

Targets that Nonis should be looking towards that may come somewhat "cheaper" than in previous seasons are Bernier and Weiss. Neither really solve any of our immediate issues, but would certainly be an upgrade in their respective roles.
just dont think its worth trading assets for marginal upgrades at best, when we have guys to play similar roles. need to use our assets to fill holes where we dont have guys that can do it.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
  #182
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
If it meant getting Schneider, I'd trade Gardiner +.
Nonis would do it most likely because he drafted CS and obviosly likes him and his contract...

I would be hesitant to give up gards though...

Maybe Blacker/Finn + Colborne/Ashton for Schneider

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
  #183
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Can anyone tell my why they would want to shell out so many assets for someone like Cory Schneider?

Yes he's put up impressive numbers and performed well. But it has been in a small sample size infront of a very strong Canucks core.

What sort of numbers do you think he'd put up in Toronto the previous two seasons?

Do you think they'd be similar as his numbers in Vancouver? Because I certainly do not.

I think we'd see numbers similar to Reimers in the same sample size.

I'd much rather stick with James and continue to see what we have, rather than gamble on another goalie that has just as small sample size as James does, that includes Bernier.

If Schneider (wont) or Bernier come cheap, then a tandom along with Reimer may be something to consider.

But I for one am completely content with what we have right now. Spending these assets or continuing to accumulate them until we are a bit closer to being real contenders might be the more appropriate thing to do at this point.

Targets that Nonis should be looking towards that may come somewhat "cheaper" than in previous seasons are Bernier and Weiss. Neither really solve any of our immediate issues, but would certainly be an upgrade in their respective roles.
Based on pure skill, Schneider is better IMO, nothing more nothing less.

However I do follow the same sentiment as you. My view is just sit tight until the mid point of the season to assess where we are exactly and then make the moves necessary, sell to get picks or projects, or drive forward.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:37 AM
  #184
Coatsy79
Registered User
 
Coatsy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uk
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
conference is a weak argument... and it's spelled center...
No it's not

Coatsy79 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
  #185
doubledown99
Registered User
 
doubledown99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
conference is a weak argument... and it's spelled center...

And how is it a weak argument? Give me an example where it happened recently? Teams don't move players that can come back and haunt them. I'm using recent history as proof as you were with your argument for the potential price for Backstrom

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
  #186
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coatsy79 View Post
No it's not
ummmm ya it is

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
  #187
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Mac for Clowe

Both need a change of scenery. Not sure of their true comparative value but it can't be far apart, and certainly the throw in cost to make the deal wouldn't be too much. His club is winning and he isn't a contributor, so there isn't going to be a better time. Thoughts?

nuck is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
  #188
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
And how is it a weak argument? Give me an example where it happened recently? Teams don't move players that can come back and haunt them. I'm using recent history as proof as you were with your argument for the potential price for Backstrom
It is weak because i all 3 cases (Mike/Brad/Joe) that i used as a sample for the value of Backstrom, the team that traded for those playes needed a center. The Leafs need a center... It so happened to be in another conference. I will give you that the price might increase slightly but not much... Maybe instead of a 2nd it would be a 1st... Thats it!

and if you want an example Carter to LA from columbus

Had you said division i would of maybe bought that....

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
  #189
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,769
vCash: 500
Tim Thomas is a UFA this summer, The Leafs have signed a similarly aged UFA Goalie before to much success, I certainly would not sell the farm for a Goalie. Perhaps target Tim in the summer.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:49 AM
  #190
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Tim Thomas is a UFA this summer, The Leafs have signed a similarly aged UFA Goalie before to much success, I certainly would not sell the farm for a Goalie. Perhaps target Tim in the summer.
I can see him signing with the avs

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:51 AM
  #191
buntek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Tim Thomas is a UFA this summer, The Leafs have signed a similarly aged UFA Goalie before to much success, I certainly would not sell the farm for a Goalie. Perhaps target Tim in the summer.
TIm can **** himself. Selsish *******.

buntek is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  #192
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
ummmm ya it is
centre is Canadian, center is American

eg.

I cant believe you screwed up correcting someones grammar

The Podium is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:54 AM
  #193
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
TIm can **** himself. Selsish *******.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I can see him signing with the avs
He's an interesting guy, I don't know what he has in mind, but he certainly plays well in Toronto. The guy may want to live in Canada while Obama is Prez with his political leanings and USA tax the rich structure.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
  #194
doubledown99
Registered User
 
doubledown99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
It is weak because i all 3 cases (Mike/Brad/Joe) that i used as a sample for the value of Backstrom, the team that traded for those playes needed a center. The Leafs need a center... It so happened to be in another conference. I will give you that the price might increase slightly but not much... Maybe instead of a 2nd it would be a 1st... Thats it!

and if you want an example Carter to LA from columbus

Had you said division i would of maybe bought that....
Dude I was trying to make fun of you. Your argument for NB was your opinion. Yet you were trying to make an argument that you were correct and everyone else was wrong (at least that was how i took it). So my argument was trying to use the same logic you were trying to use. Nobody knows if NB is available and if he was what he would cost. Arguing about it is fruitless and idiotic in my opinion. I respect your and others opinions. And it's a fun topic to discuss and fantasize about but that is all it likely is.....

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
  #195
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He's an interesting guy, I don't know what he has in mind, but he certainly plays well in Toronto. The guy may want to live in Canada while Obama is Prez with his political leanings and USA tax the rich structure.
i read somewhere he moved to colorado... thats why i said Avs... Who knows with him though... he is either really good or really bad

Pass on TT unless he wants to come here specifically

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
  #196
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Dude I was trying to make fun of you. Your argument for NB was your opinion. Yet you were trying to make an argument that you were correct and everyone else was wrong (at least that was how i took it). So my argument was trying to use the same logic you were trying to use. Nobody knows if NB is available and if he was what he would cost. Arguing about it is fruitless and idiotic in my opinion. I respect your and others opinions. And it's a fun topic to discuss and fantasize about but that is all it likely is.....
All i was trying to state that NB value wouldn't be more than others that have been moved with simular skill and contracts.

When i see posts like Kessel+ or Gardiner+Kadri+1st it's just ridicules because those posters are not considering the money that is involved. When putting cap value and money into the equation the assets going the other way wont have equal value BECAUSE the money is equal! Simple as that!

Get it?

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:07 PM
  #197
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
centre is Canadian, center is American

eg.

I cant believe you screwed up correcting someones grammar
Grew up in the states... it's weird how canadian even differs... Must be the French influence

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:09 PM
  #198
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
This. People are so incredibly impatient. Look at Frattin and Kadri, and look how old Frattin is. Take a breather guys it takes more than a season or two. Especially because, like a broken record, big guys are slow to develop generally.

I still believe Colborne and Ashton will be TML members before long.

It is Grabovski and Bozak who need to watch their jobs, as I dont think it will be long before they are supplanted.
Ashton doesn't fight enough or good enough for me to consider him a valuable PF in the Kassian\Lucic sense, and he doesn't put up enough points for me to consider him a valuable PF in the Brown\Kulemin\Vanriemsdyk sense.

Aulie is a character kid, whose just enormous, and still young, I thought he was more valuable then Schenn. Schenn's smaller, less intimidating, not as good of a fighter, and also lacks the natural leadership skills of Aulie. What I liked most about Aulie is that he was tough, but he didn't flaunt it, but when you pissed him off (see Hartnell), he reacted big time. Whenever I watched him, I thought to myself, look out when this kid is 28 and completely filled in.

Ashton types are dime a dozen, his high end will be a Troy Brouwer (whose game I've never been particularly fond of), while Aulie has a much more unique skill set, guys of his makeup are considerably harder to get your hands on.

Antropovsky is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
  #199
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Tim Thomas is a UFA this summer, The Leafs have signed a similarly aged UFA Goalie before to much success, I certainly would not sell the farm for a Goalie. Perhaps target Tim in the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I can see him signing with the avs
He's gone on record saying, that he wants to play only for Boston if he returns.

Antropovsky is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:11 PM
  #200
Cool Hand Luke
My Name is Jonas
 
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
centre is Canadian, center is American

eg.

I cant believe you screwed up correcting someones grammar
A centre is a place. A center is a position in a sport. They are not the same thing.

Cool Hand Luke is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.