HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version III

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 12:11 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
This. People are so incredibly impatient. Look at Frattin and Kadri, and look how old Frattin is. Take a breather guys it takes more than a season or two. Especially because, like a broken record, big guys are slow to develop generally.

I still believe Colborne and Ashton will be TML members before long.

It is Grabovski and Bozak who need to watch their jobs, as I dont think it will be long before they are supplanted.
Yep, The Boston model again, Grabo and Bozak will be moved when Kadri and Colborne are making it impossible to keep off the big team. This is the blueprint to success.

Draft/Develop/Promote

Old
02-02-2013, 12:12 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Ashton doesn't fight enough or good enough for me to consider him a valuable PF in the Kassian\Lucic sense, and he doesn't put up enough points for me to consider him a valuable PF in the Brown\Kulemin\Vanriemsdyk sense.

Aulie is a character kid, whose just enormous, and still young, I thought he was more valuable then Schenn. Schenn's smaller, less intimidating, not as good of a fighter, and also lacks the natural leadership skills of Aulie. What I liked most about Aulie is that he was tough, but he didn't flaunt it, but when you pissed him off (see Hartnell), he reacted big time. Whenever I watched him, I thought to myself, look out when this kid is 28 and completely filled in.

Ashton types are dime a dozen, his high end will be a Troy Brouwer (whose game I've never been particularly fond of), while Aulie has a much more unique skill set, guys of his makeup are considerably harder to get your hands on.
Sorry but i disagree, and question your grasp on these guys a bit. Some points are true, but how could you questions Schenn's leadership skills? They were top notch, his play was not. Aulie was quiet and I am not sure why you think that translates to big time leadership skills.

And neither of Schenn or Ashton are character kids? They all are. Lol and then you say wait till hes 28, and that he is a young player with upside as if Ashton is not either.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:18 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Yep, The Boston model again, Grabo and Bozak will be moved when Kadri and Colborne are making it impossible to keep off the big team. This is the blueprint to success.

Draft/Develop/Promote
Pretty much. I dont get why people hate on Colborne so much lol. Because he flashed that month of monster production, but that was not going to be sustainable. Certainly not in eakins system.

And when he comes up to the leafs he has performed in each stint. Some weaknesses yes but also many strengths.

I personally look forward big time to having Kadri and Colborne down the middle, both show far more skill all around than Bozak and Grabovski. Thats just my MO.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Pretty much. I dont get why people hate on Colborne so much lol. Because he flashed that month of monster production, but that was not going to be sustainable. Certainly not in eakins system.

And when he comes up to the leafs he has performed in each stint. Some weaknesses yes but also many strengths.

I personally look forward big time to having Kadri and Colborne down the middle, both show far more skill all around than Bozak and Grabovski. Thats just my MO.
Flashy players always get love. Remember? lol

02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Based on pure skill, Schneider is better IMO, nothing more nothing less.

However I do follow the same sentiment as you. My view is just sit tight until the mid point of the season to assess where we are exactly and then make the moves necessary, sell to get picks or projects, or drive forward.
I'm not an expert on Schneider, and haven't seen him play enough to know for sure how good he is, or could be, but would the Canucks get rid of Lou if he wasn't as good or better than Loulongo? Logic would imply Schneider is ready, and a way better goalie that Reimer will ever be. I like Reimer, but honestly, he's looked pretty bad so far, glove hand, and five hole are huge issues going forward. I don't know if St. Croix can undo the damage Allaire did.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Can anyone tell my why they would want to shell out so many assets for someone like Cory Schneider?

Yes he's put up impressive numbers and performed well. But it has been in a small sample size infront of a very strong Canucks core.

What sort of numbers do you think he'd put up in Toronto the previous two seasons?

Do you think they'd be similar as his numbers in Vancouver? Because I certainly do not.

I think we'd see numbers similar to Reimers in the same sample size.

I'd much rather stick with James and continue to see what we have, rather than gamble on another goalie that has just as small sample size as James does, that includes Bernier.

If Schneider (wont) or Bernier come cheap, then a tandom along with Reimer may be something to consider.

But I for one am completely content with what we have right now. Spending these assets or continuing to accumulate them until we are a bit closer to being real contenders might be the more appropriate thing to do at this point.

Targets that Nonis should be looking towards that may come somewhat "cheaper" than in previous seasons are Bernier and Weiss. Neither really solve any of our immediate issues, but would certainly be an upgrade in their respective roles.
Schneider would definitely cost a lot of assets which I wouldn't be interested in giving up for him. At a 4 million cap hit I'd also just lean towards signing a free agent goalie like a Howard or Backstrom for somewhere in the 4 to 5 million range.

Bernier is a different case and someone I'm interested in. He is young, has incredible potential and is an RFA this summer but shouldn't get a big contract cause he hasn't played enough to prove he deserves it. I wouldn't sell the farm for him and I don't think teams would because there is an unproven factor with him. But I would feel very comfortable with him replacing Scrivens in the lineup and letting Reimer/Bernier battle it out for the # 1 spot for the next few years. If they both perform we can always trade one later on.

Boston had Thomas and Rask. It served them well.

Montreal had Huet (who was good), Price and Huet.

Even down the road in Ottawa they've got Anderson, and two top prospects in Lehner and Bishop. If one faulters for any length of time there is quality options to step right in and at the right cap hit.

Having 2 legitimate starters is a problem that the Leafs need to have if they can't get a workhorse (65 game + goalie) top 5-10 starter like a Quick, Miller, King Henry, Price. Reimer even if he fully realizes his potential won't be that type of goalie so we need a 1B to team him with.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Faltorvo

Would you as GM?

Would you as GM, trade for Corey Perry if we sat in 9th place come TD and the asking price was in the ballpark ?.

Something like .

2013 or 2014 1rst + Franson + Blacker type of compensation.

Would it be worth it for the PO push and head start on contract negotiations?

Old
02-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Doshy

I'd consider it for Getzlaf, but not Perry.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

No. Not the first.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:13 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

No, I'd only push for Perry if the Leafs were in a position of nearly cup contending and Perry would put them over the top

Stay the course otherwise

Old
02-02-2013, 01:19 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
No. LA Kings traded away first rounders and high level prospects in their championship year but they already had a good competitive team (even with the slow start) who received 2 players signed long term. We are not in that situation.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Donmega

Probably wouldn't trade the first. Also would wait for ufa till trying to obtain one of them, would cost too much to get either of them here. Anaheim would want to get fleeced especially after the lupul/gardiner trade.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
noway

No trading first round picks.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:29 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Nah.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
With something conditional on Perry resigning with us, absolutely I would trade our 1st for him. Else wise, I'd be reluctant.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Billy6

The OP obviously hasn't learned from the Kessel trade.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Philkessel

not for a rental to just make the playoffs if we were winning the division then i would

Old
02-02-2013, 01:35 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Conditional on him re-signing yes

Old
02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

I wouldn't buy at the deadline. I would sell if anything.

If Perry wants to be a Leaf, we will sign him in July. Getzlaf is too slow for our top 6.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:38 PM
DaveT83*

Nope.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
will13

Probably not

Old
02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Conditional on him re-signing yes
Well, i thought about listing it as a conditional but the problem was, i did not feel we could get that kind of deal done to land CP at the TD.

Chances are, if we tie conditions on the first, it's surely out bid.

And for you Billy6 , i posed this as a question out there to be debated , how do you know what i have or have not learned, when you have no clue on what i would have done?

Seeing how, i have not posted an opinion.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 02-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
grah7830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
A centre is a place. A center is a position in a sport. They are not the same thing.
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475172

Old
02-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Cool Hand Luke

In my opinion, goalies are too much of a crap shoot. If I was a hockey boss, I would enforce the following rules:

1. Never use a pick in the top 50 on a goalie.
2. Never trade good young assets or picks for an unproven goalie.

Just my opinion.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:56 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Draft/Develop/Promote
Boston model? The Boston model was UFA and trade. Lately they are bringing through draftees but their Cup team featured a whopping 4 self drafted regulars.

Closed Thread