HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary Signs Danny Taylor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  #1
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,839
vCash: 500
Calgary Signs Danny Taylor

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654399

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today they have signed goaltender Danny Taylor.

Taylor, who was born in Plymouth, England but raised in Ottawa, Ontario, has backstopped the Calgary Flames affiliate Abbotsford Heat for the past two seasons earning 30 wins in 59 games. He has played a total of 120 career AHL games registering 59 wins along with a 2.32 GAA and a .914 save percentage. This season, Taylor is second in the AHL with a 1.77 GAA and fourth in save percentage .930%.

Taylor was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the 7th round (221st overall) of the 2004 NHL Draft. Taylor will join the Flames in Columbus on Wednesday evening.

Calgary Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff sustained a lower body injury in last night’s 4-1 win over Detroit and is listed as day-to-day.

Contract Term: a one year, two-way contract for $525,000/$80,000.
Flames needed to do this to have someone ready to go if Kipper isn't. I'm a little surprised it wasn't Brust, myself.

__________________
Dan O'Toole: "So if I have this right, only acceptable goal celebration in NHL is to put hands at your sides and then feel shame."
caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
  #2
DBU
Bars for Eons
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,077
vCash: 50
Need a backup for Irving.

Guess we'll see how this unfolds.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
  #3
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654399



Flames needed to do this to have someone ready to go if Kipper isn't. I'm a little surprised it wasn't Brust, myself.
Brust has better GAA and save percentage but Taylor has more wins and games played. It seems like a toss up. I really like Brust and think he needs another chance in the show but it also makes sense that they went with the hot goalie in Abbotsford.

I suppose they could have signed them both as they now only have three goalies on NHL contracts. Why not sign Brust while they're at it?

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
  #4
flameaholic
Registered User
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Taylor's been very impressive in the AHL. He deserves this chance.

Hope Kipper's not out for long.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
  #5
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,900
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Brust has better GAA and save percentage but Taylor has more wins and games played. It seems like a toss up. I really like Brust and think he needs another chance in the show but it also makes sense that they went with the hot goalie in Abbotsford.

I suppose they could have signed them both as they now only have three goalies on NHL contracts. Why not sign Brust while they're at it?
Why waste an nhl contract?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
  #6
Yog S'loth
Registered User
 
Yog S'loth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Congrats to Taylor. He was an unsung hero for the Monarchs for a few seasons, but never really got a fair shot with the Kings since guys with better draft pedigrees were always ahead of him. I hope he gets a real chance in Calgary.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
  #7
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Taylor's been very impressive in the AHL. He deserves this chance.

Hope Kipper's not out for long.
Probably a week. It couldn't be too bad if he finished the 2nd and left in the intermission you would think.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
  #8
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Why waste an nhl contract?
Normally I'd agree but Brust seems worth the gamble too.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  #9
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Probably a week. It couldn't be too bad if he finished the 2nd and left in the intermission you would think.
I wonder if it's day to day until he gets back here and sees team doctors.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  #10
Trae
Registered User
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I suppose they could have signed them both as they now only have three goalies on NHL contracts. Why not sign Brust while they're at it?
Because there is a contract limit and it wouldn't make sense considering kipper is only day to day. As soon as kipper is back, Taylor wont be needed up here again unless by chance there is another injury.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
  #11
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Because there is a contract limit and it wouldn't make sense considering kipper is only day to day. As soon as kipper is back, Taylor wont be needed up here again unless by chance there is another injury.
There are a couple of big reasons why teams keep roughly 5 goalies under contract and injuries like Kipper's is one of them. They should factor that into their planning.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
  #12
Yog S'loth
Registered User
 
Yog S'loth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
There are a couple of big reasons why teams keep roughly 5 goalies under contract and injuries like Kipper's is one of them. They should factor that into their planning.
To be fair, that is the way things used to be, but I think most NHL teams have shifted away from that model. Contract slots are too precious, so most teams have only 3-4 guys tops under contract with another 1 or 2 on minor-league deals, just like the Flames. That way, if one guy is needed, you can sign one of those minor-league guys. There's no IHL anymore to scoop up veteran goalies, so this is the way it goes.

The Kings have 4 guys under contract, but if Quick got hurt, there's a good chance Mannino gets a deal just like Taylor got from Calgary.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
  #13
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,699
vCash: 355
Happy with this. Taylor has been good, nice to see him get a shot.

Curious as to why they picked Taylor over Brust, both have been good but I wonder if there is a specific reason.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:18 PM
  #14
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
To be fair, that is the way things used to be, but I think most NHL teams have shifted away from that model. Contract slots are too precious, so most teams have only 3-4 guys tops under contract with another 1 or 2 on minor-league deals, just like the Flames.
Really? Decent Goaltending isn't precious? Why can't teams dedicate 5 out of 50 contracts to goaltending?

Feaster should have had a third and fourth goalie under contract and he should be called on it by higher ups in the organization.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
  #15
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,699
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Really? Decent Goaltending isn't precious? Why can't teams dedicate 5 out of 50 contracts to goaltending?

Feaster should have had a third and fourth goalie under contract and he should be called on it by higher ups in the organization.
Well we do have Ortio signed, but hes on loan.

As this signing has shown, why bother having them signed until we needed one of them? Keep the spots open...

If anything he is looking pretty smart waiting until he needed to, to sign one of them. Its not like they were going to turn down an NHL contract lol.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:40 PM
  #16
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,900
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Normally I'd agree but Brust seems worth the gamble too.
Kipper is day to day how many starts are we going to have for the other goalies? All that signing Brust does is make him have to pass through waivers.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
  #17
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,195
vCash: 672
he been in Abbotsford Heat for the past year or so--so they signed a guy who as ZERO nhl experience from their farm

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  #18
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,900
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Really? Decent Goaltending isn't precious? Why can't teams dedicate 5 out of 50 contracts to goaltending?

Feaster should have had a third and fourth goalie under contract and he should be called on it by higher ups in the organization.
I guarantee you this was the plan if we needed another goalie was to sign Taylor or Brust it is why Feaster didn't want Karlsson in the AHL and why he traded him.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
  #19
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he been in Abbotsford Heat for the past year or so--so they signed a guy who as ZERO nhl experience from their farm
All he needs to know is how to open the door to the bench - and he probably only has to do that for about a week.

If the situation calls for Taylor to be playing full time, obviously other actions will need to be taken.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
  #20
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
All he needs to know is how to open the door to the bench - and he probably only has to do that for about a week.

If the situation calls for Taylor to be playing full time, obviously other actions will need to be taken.
Or until team doctors here in Calgary assess Kipper and figure out how long he's really on the shelf for.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  #21
mrdonkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Or until team doctors here in Calgary assess Kipper and figure out how long he's really on the shelf for.
I'm no doctor, but when a guy is able to board a plane, walk normally, and show no external signs of injury or discomfort it's probably safe to say he's not nursing anything serious. For all we know Kipper could just have a laceration or a groin tweak.

As for why the Flames aren't carrying a bunch of extra goalies: it's because the netminders in their system are in juniors, college, or overseas. So they're either unable to sign at this exact point in time, or it would be pointless to stunt their development just to open the gate for Irving for a few weeks at most.

Next year is when the goalie situation will likely be sorted, as Ortio and Ramo are likely to come over to NA, Brossoit will be eligible to graduate from juniors and sign his ELC, and Gillies will be a year closer to moving up from Providence.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  #22
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Kipper is day to day how many starts are we going to have for the other goalies? All that signing Brust does is make him have to pass through waivers.
Why would Brust need waivers? He's been playing in NA and recall waivers no longer exist, am I missing something. I also thought it would be Brust being signed.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  #23
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,900
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrannigan View Post
Why would Brust need waivers? He's been playing in NA and recall waivers no longer exist, am I missing something. I also thought it would be Brust being signed.
If we sign him and Kipper comes back 2 goalies have to go down so either Brust or Taylor or both would have to go back through waivers it makes no sense for us.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:23 PM
  #24
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
All he needs to know is how to open the door to the bench - and he probably only has to do that for about a week.
(With Abbotsford)
Taylor 26 GP 1.77 .930
Irving 6 GP 3.72 .871

Kinda weird to see Taylor acting as Irving's backup

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
  #25
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,707
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he been in Abbotsford Heat for the past year or so--so they signed a guy who as ZERO nhl experience from their farm
Actually he has 20 minutes of NHL experience from his time in the Kings organization in the season they used 7 goaltenders. But everyone has little to no experience at some time or another, plus Taylor probably still sees no NHL action.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.