HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Alot of Canuck fans have complained about Leaf fans saying they dont really want Luongo at his price but still coming to this thread. But it works both ways doesn't it?

You say you dont want any of the pieces we would give up but some of you are certainly trying hard to convince us we need him and we are wrong about Reimer.

The truth is that no one knows what Reimer does over the course of the year. The proof will be in his play. He have little looking back and saying that Reimer is in fact a #1. You also have Nonis saying they still need "veteran goaltending". They had their chance at Vokoun and passed. So what exactly are they looking for? If Reimer is a legit #1, why do you need better-than-Vokoun-veteran goaltending?

A TOR fan would have to first open this thread to start engage any VAN fan in talks. So why would any TOR fan do that if there was no interest in Luongo? The mere act of opening this thread and engaging VAN fans belies the interest in this player. After that, it's just about getting something for nothing.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Why fire him just before season star? There were tons of opportunities to do so.
It just happened to coincide with the Bell/Rogers acquisition? Don't think so. MLSE is a company that is out to make money, Playoffs is where you make money especially with a fan base as big as the leafs.

I haven't talked about price or what the Canucks would want, there has been reports but nothing right from Gillis/Nonis' mouth. Your prospects are doing well, Reimer is looking solid for now, why change that up?
If the Leafs can get a .910-.915 sv% out of James Reimer this year, they'll be just fine. Remember, Toronto has the 2

A bit insulted are we? Resorting to personal attacks? Whatever helps you sleep at night, here's the facts Reimer played 37 games in that season and due to multiple factors he didn't play number 1 games, and thus didn't maintain number 1 results.

He has the potential to, but until he makes it a reality it's just projection/potential.

As for Schneider, I don't believe he's proven himself to be number 1 either, many reporters believe he's ready and can handle the work load but again until he proves it, I'm not claiming anything.

Schneider, by the way, didn't just the play the easy games and has faced teams like Chicago, Boston, etc.
Not for Bell/Rogers. They only took over the team in late august, and the lockout started Sept15. He was fired because his loudmouth approach did not fit in with new ownership.

Not insulted at all, and no personal attack [Mod]

Reimer played 37 games out of 46 once he made his NHL debut. That's #1 workload, no matter which way you want to spin it. The only thing that separated him from being a true #1 that season, was that he started in January as opposed to October, so had a little bit more than a 1/2 season of it.

Of course, there are many qualitative factors why one shouldn't have expected him to be a .921 goaltender last year with a full #1 workload, and I'd probably agree with you on just about all of them. However, just like there's qualitative factors which would suggest that his sv% should've been lower than .921, there's qualitative factors which would suggest that his sv% should be higher than the .900 he put up last year. If he's a .910-.915 goalie, the Leafs are laughing. Remember, they have the 2nd cheapest goaltending tandem in the league. If they can't win with a team sv% above .905, the goalies aren't the problem.

As for Schneider, he's proven even less. He's had the #1 workload for much shorter stretches of time. In terms of his competition, he may have faced some tough teams, but on average, he faced the weaker subset of the opposition.

Last edited by slocal: 02-03-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: personal
Old
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
StringerBell

So now that we've established the Leafs aren't interested, can we stop taking about the bloody Leafs already?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
So now that we've established the Leafs aren't interested, can we stop taking about the bloody Leafs already?

As soon as leafs fans stop posting here... but I guess they can't resist.

Reimer is great guys, you don't need Luongo, now would it be ok to move on from TO centric speculation?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The truth is that no one knows what Reimer does over the course of the year. The proof will be in his play. He have little looking back and saying that Reimer is in fact a #1. You also have Nonis saying they still need "veteran goaltending". They had their chance at Vokoun and passed. So what exactly are they looking for? If Reimer is a legit #1, why do you need better-than-Vokoun-veteran goaltending?

A TOR fan would have to first open this thread to start engage any VAN fan in talks. So why would any TOR fan do that if there was no interest in Luongo? The mere act of opening this thread and engaging VAN fans belies the interest in this player. After that, it's just about getting something for nothing.
Realistically, we didn't have a chance at Vokoun. He's been chasing a cup for a couple years now.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:35 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:

As Skead said its an interesting thread. I want to see where Lu ends up and who was right about the return.

But if while we are here Leaf fans keep reading about how our players are crap ofcourse we are gonna defend them.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Realistically, we didn't have a chance at Vokoun. He's been chasing a cup for a couple years now.

Ok, Dan Ellis then? I mean if veteran goaltending alone was the target for Nonis, there were plenty of options out there. I'm sure a minor deal could have been done at any point...

Quote:
As Skead said its an interesting thread. I want to see where Lu ends up and who was right about the return.

But if while we are here Leaf fans keep reading about how our players are crap ofcourse we are gonna defend them.

You can see the thread without actually "contributing" and pushing the thread back into a TOR centric discussion. It's quite simple actually.

And I'm sure this isn't the only thread on this board that calls into question the quality of the TOR goaltending. Or any other of their players. Are you in them as well?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
racerjoe

Quote:

I really dont mind some of the leaf fans that come in here, there is just a few that seem to come in and derail what was once good conversation. It gets really annoying. I try my best to not reply to those ones, but sometimes they get the best of me and I sadly do.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
So let's talk Washington trade options;

Any WSH fans in here that can give us some low downs on options?
We are still all too shocked.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Not for Bell/Rogers. They only took over the team in late august, and the lockout started Sept15. He was fired because his loudmouth approach did not fit in with new ownership.

Not insulted at all, and no personal attack [Mod]

Reimer played 37 games out of 46 once he made his NHL debut. That's #1 workload, no matter which way you want to spin it. The only thing that separated him from being a true #1 that season, was that he started in January as opposed to October, so had a little bit more than a 1/2 season of it.

Of course, there are many qualitative factors why one shouldn't have expected him to be a .921 goaltender last year with a full #1 workload, and I'd probably agree with you on just about all of them. However, just like there's qualitative factors which would suggest that his sv% should've been lower than .921, there's qualitative factors which would suggest that his sv% should be higher than the .900 he put up last year. If he's a .910-.915 goalie, the Leafs are laughing. Remember, they have the 2nd cheapest goaltending tandem in the league. If they can't win with a team sv% above .905, the goalies aren't the problem.

As for Schneider, he's proven even less. He's had the #1 workload for much shorter stretches of time. In terms of his competition, he may have faced some tough teams, but on average, he faced the weaker subset of the opposition.

Ok wonderful, congratulations on the resolution of your number 1 goaltender who has proved everything about handling #1 duties.

Good luck with your goaltending and looking forward to seeing how both scenarios play out.

Last edited by slocal: 02-03-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: fixed quote/let mods decided what is allowed in thread
Old
02-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
We are still all too shocked.
Haha, you never know, it could involve Schneider
But in my opinion Holtby needs some development time, let it be in AHL or behind a mentor.

That's my 2 cents.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
RECsGuy*

No goaltending problems with the Panthers. Nope, not at all.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post

Ben Kuzma, Canuck beat reporter, said Gillis + Gilman going to Winnipeg next to scout WPG/FLA game.

Could be that they are taking their last looks before pulling the trigger on something.

Kesler is also skating now, starting today.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I dunno, is Komisarek and 4th still as coveted?
Bob Mackenzie never said that.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Bob Mackenzie never said that.

No, Bob just said, earlier on, that VAN would have to take a soft deal (another article), and that FLA and TOR were not interested.

Quote:
Bob McKenzie Audio: McKenzie doesn’t think there will be much of market for Roberto Luongo as originally thought. The Lightning may be more interested in Jonathan Bernier. The Panthers and Maple Leafs may not be interested in Luongo either. The Leafs may look at Tomas Vokoun as a possible veteran to bring in. Vokoun has an offer from the KHL already.

He doesn't have a clue as to the VAN perspective on this deal. He's been guessing since day one, along with the rest of the TSN panel. Including second cousin hack Dreger.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
No, Bob just said, earlier on, that VAN would have to take a soft deal (another article), and that FLA and TOR were not interested.

He doesn't have a clue as to the VAN perspective on this deal. He's been guessing since day one, along with the rest of the TSN panel. Including second cousin hack Dreger.
What Luongo brings back in a trade may prove if he knew anything or not. Most people upset with reports like that think Lu will fetch a big package back to Vancouver.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
What Luongo brings back in a trade may prove if he knew anything or not. Most people upset with reports like that think Lu will fetch a big package back to Vancouver.

Ummm nope. Have to take a soft deal = Does Gillis retaining Luongo really seem like he is in the position to have to take a soft deal? Common sense.

FLA and TOR not interested = This was proven wrong almost immediately after he said this by the Shannon leak, names like Kadri and Bozak being bandied about, and FLA still stating that the door is open.

He just doesn't know what he's talking about. You can continue to believe him though.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Ummm nope. Have to take a soft deal = Does Gillis retaining Luongo really seem like he is in the position to have to take a soft deal? Common sense.

FLA and TOR not interested = This was proven wrong almost immediately after he said this by the Shannon leak, names like Kadri and Bozak being bandied about, and FLA still stating that the door is open.

He just doesn't know what he's talking about. You can continue to believe him though.
Nonis:
Quote:
“I’m not going to give up youth for older players,” Nonis told ESPN. “We would trade a young player for a young player. But we’re not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can’t build a club that way.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/M...#ixzz2JspZajF9
Sorry, Kadri is not going anywhere. Nonis also made it clear that he will not mortgage the future.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
MacLean was anything but consistent.
Wrong. He was very consistent especially in the 1994 playoffs! Which was my point. Yes while he was going through his divorce his play went down I admit. However. You are just cherry picking what suits you rather than actually reading my post carefully.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Nonis:

Sorry, Kadri is not going anywhere. Nonis also made it clear that he will not mortgage the future.

Who was talking about Kadri? The question was about Mckenzie and the chronology of rumours.

I think it's excellent that TOR is no longer in this discussion. Good day.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
inthewings

Quote:
They really should bring Markstrom up rather than make a franchise-altering trade that they don't need to make.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Luongo led them to a game from the cup and the team scored 0 goals in that game.
Yes he was bad in game 6, but McLean was bad in games 3&4. And how many cup winning goalies go thru and eintire playoff w/o some bad games?
That this brief stretch of Luongo playing well has changed this debate so much is laughable to me. He is and always has been elite. Gillis is lucky to have 2 excellent goalies. Im sure whichever will bring the best return will be moved.
Let's be realistic, against the Ducks he assumed the ref would blow the play dead, the ref didn't and the Ducks scored and the Canucks lost the game and series. In game 7 against the bruins he assumed the same thing, the player slid into him and the puck slid into the net and counted. All this hyperbole about him maturing is speculation. More likely he is relaxed because there is no pressure on him.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:12 PM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Quote:
The Point shot from Sulzer was weak, but what the heck was he suppossed to do on the other 2 goals? Don't want Luongo back this team needs more scoring more than it needs better goal tending.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Who was talking about Kadri? The question was about Mckenzie and the chronology of rumours.

I think it's excellent that TOR is no longer in this discussion. Good day.
Mckenzie did claim Gilis wanted Kadri.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

"The Shannon Leak" claimed Luongo was well on his way to Toronto once the lockout ended. What happened?

Closed Thread