HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Going with Luongo to Florida now.

A respectable 3W-5W considering and just 2 points out of 8th despite numerous injuries and horrendous goaltending (3.75 against per game).
It's possible, I don't think our goaltending is as bad as it seems on paper. We had a few bad games to start the season, Luongo might be a decent addition but at this point I don't see it happening.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
doorman

Quote:

A respectable 3W-5W considering and just 2 points out of 8th despite numerous injuries and horrendous goaltending (3.75 against per game).
LOL, I think you are right but more that Lou really wants to be there more then anywhere else, IMO. Like I said many will disagree, but I don't think Bobby Mac is a Leafs fans, he has shot down many many, stupid rumors of theres over the years. Some will fail to see that he has integrity and that is fine, everyone has and is entitled to an opinion, it is after all what makes the world go round.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Numbers

Quote:

Versteeg
Shore/Petrovic
Clemmenson/Theodore
Pick

For

Luongo
Higgins

Old
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

What has you thinking it's FLA?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Versteeg
Shore
Clemmenson/Theodore
Pick

For

Luongo
Higgins
I like it, I think with Versteeg however, Florida fans won't.

Also, we got Higgins for peanuts, as a pending UFA at the deadline, why would they want him back in the same situation?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post

Also, we got Higgins for peanuts, as a pending UFA at the deadline, why would they want him back in the same situation?
Will never happen. Sorry.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Yet he speculated about no market, no interest and soft deal when he didn't have to. Why? If he was merely reporting and no editorializing, you wouldn't see him do that. That's the reason people in VAN (not all of course) have disregarded what he has had to say on the topic. It's not just me either.

There is a bias, he has no record breaking anything Canucks related during the Gillis regime. I see it. Other Canucks fans see it. (Read the Lu thread on the Canucks board). But it's a bias that's created by not knowing and needlessly speculating. He has no information from VAN, but he does from other teams, so he has no choice but to expand upon on non-Canuck related information. It's unbalanced by default. Uninformed by default. Then he takes it a step further by speculating in the view point of other teams... which only makes him seem like a mouthpiece.

McKenzie is solid. But for this particular situation, he doesn't have the Canuck perspective at all.
Ok, for starters all fans of teams see Bias' against their teams, period. Next him saying he sees a soft deal for Loungo has alweays been because of his contract. All Nucks fans disagree with this and that is fine. However if Loungos contract was as good as all fans think it is a deal that isn't "soft" would have been done by now, IMO. The days of hockey deals are basically dead, cap trades are just a fact of CBA's and this era. You are entitled to feel how you do, however those of us that disagree are entitled to see the opposite.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Gillis is supposedly visiting the Winnipeg-Florida game.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Numbers

Quote:

It helps both teams. Opens a roster spot for Vancouver, but helps replace Versteeg. Higgins is a good 2way player who can move between 2nd-3rd lines.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
It helps both teams. Opens a roster spot for Vancouver, but helps replace Versteeg. Higgins is a good 2way player who can move between 2nd-3rd lines.
Higgins doesn't replace Versteeg, and Luongo doesn't really help us.

PLUS we are certainly not giving up Shore.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Ok, for starters all fans of teams see Bias' against their teams, period. Next him saying he sees a soft deal for Loungo has alweays been because of his contract. All Nucks fans disagree with this and that is fine. However if Loungos contract was as good as all fans think it is a deal that isn't "soft" would have been done by now, IMO. The days of hockey deals are basically dead, cap trades are just a fact of CBA's and this era. You are entitled to feel how you do, however those of us that disagree are entitled to see the opposite.

Nope. Before this Luongo situation, I thought Bob was pretty unbiased, but I realized he isn't if he doesn't have any insider info to report on a certain team. He essentially adopts the stance of teams that are giving him leaks.

He shouldn't have said that about a Lu deal because he doesn't have a GM's knowledge of evaluating the contract. People listen to this guy as a source of information. The average fan puts a lot of stock in what he has to say, so there is a responsibility on him to just report things and not speculate based on his limited financial knowledge. He made a mistake there.

A deal not getting done could have nothing to do with his contract. What if the expected return is astronomical? Is it still the contract? People just don't know, but it hasn't stopped BM from speculating.

Of course you are still entitled to believe Bob is completely unbiased. That's your opinion. It doesn't hold any sway with me or others that thing that he does have bias, but you are welcome to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Gillis is supposedly visiting the Winnipeg-Florida game.

Ya I know, I posted that report in this thread. Doesn't explain how FLA becomes the front-runner or anything. They still have cash issues.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
part of it is Florida's need, and part of it is process of elimination

IMO, there's only 5 options: Florida, Tampa, Washington, Islanders, Maple Leafs

I believe McPhee when he says he Washington isn't interested in Luongo's contract.

Tampa is doing more than fine with Lindback.

Toronto's problems aren't in goal. They miss Lupul.

Islanders fans gush about Nabokov, and many claim Snow won't take on a second lengthy contract without at least giving up DP, who I doubt Gillis wants to deal with.

That leaves Florida, which has started to pick up their offense with the return of Weiss, but is needing to score 4+ per game to win, which doesn't suit the offensively challenged Panthers. Plus, Tallon would rather Markstrom carry the Rampage to the playoffs than have the big club rest its hopes on the kid's shoulders.

If Luongo stays with Vancouver past April 3, all bets are off, but if he's dealt before then, expect him to land with the Panthers, because I don't see Theodore/Clemmensen turning their play around.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Numbers

@TSNRyanRishaug: Asked Luongo if opponents have been chirping him on ice about the situation “Not at all, a few have asked if I’d come play for their team”

Apparently there is interest......

Old
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
If Luongo stays with Vancouver past April 3, all bets are off, but if he's dealt before then, expect him to land with the Panthers, because I don't see Theodore/Clemmensen turning their play around.
Have you watched the Panthers play? It hasn't even been the goaltending that is bad, it is our defense. It's terrible, how can you blame Theodore and Clemmensen when Kuba can't even play the puck out of our own zone.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
It's possible, I don't think our goaltending is as bad as it seems on paper. We had a few bad games to start the season, Luongo might be a decent addition but at this point I don't see it happening.
Agree 100%. If you watched any of the games, the defense for the Panthers has been pretty bad. Guys like Kuba, Weaver & Jovo look as slow as they're ages suggest they are. Even Luongo in net would have similar stats to Theo with the way those d-men have played.
Quote:
Versteeg
Shore/Petrovic
Clemmenson/Theodore
Pick

For

Luongo
Higgins
Versteeg isnt going anywhere, he's a big time favorite of Tallon (has traded for him twice now, once in Chicago and once with FL) plus he was just re-signed to a long term contract. Why would the Panthers be willing to trade him?

With the way Shore has played, the Panthers would be hard pressed to trade him, especially since they lack offensive centers who can win faceoffs like him. And Petrovic is out with an injury right now for the next few weeks from what I saw. So nothing really works in your deal except a pick & one of Theo/Clemmer.

Nothing is gonna happen until the Panthers prove they are going to compete or going to really struggle. That wont be known for at least a few weeks time so I wouldnt hold your breath on the Panthers making a trade for Luongo. If they struggle, I seriously doubt they trade for him too.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Quote:
Will never happen. Sorry.
Called it!

Quote:
But again, Higgins was sent to us for way under market value. If it was a waiver pickup, I think he could help Florida score and still play a shut down or even energy role, but he didn't fit last time, and I don't know he would this time. He is more valuable to us then he was/is to Florida.

Quote:

Point one: Agreed.

Point two: Debatable. Again, in a world where you don't pay for Lu, he is a huge improvement. However, moving a scoring forward, a very good prospect, a current starter/future back up and a pick would be tough to swallow for Panthers fans. Gotta give if you want to get, but what I'm hearing from Panthers fans is that they don't want to get at the giving price. Fair enough.

Point three: Well we need something!

Kidding, Versteeg as a main component is the core of the proposed, and shot down, deal for me.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Have you watched the Panthers play? It hasn't even been the goaltending that is bad, it is our defense. It's terrible, how can you blame Theodore and Clemmensen when Kuba can't even play the puck out of our own zone.
Agreed, to an extent. Kuba, Jovo and Weaver are all showing their age, but the fact of the matter is that while Theo may not be doing his best Dan Cloutier/Vesa Toskala impression, he isn't making matters easy on Florida's inept offense either. He's not standing on his head nearly enough for a club that struggles to score more than 2 goals a game. That's where Luongo comes in.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Agreed, to an extent. Kuba, Jovo and Weaver are all showing their age, but the fact of the matter is that while Theo may not be doing his best Dan Cloutier/Vesa Toskala impression, he isn't making matters easy on Florida's inept offense either. He's not standing on his head nearly enough for a club that struggles to score more than 2 goals a game. That's where Luongo comes in.
In the first 3 games, he was standing on his head but thats when they were missing several key guys due to injury. Now that those players have returned and the offense is starting to click, Theo doesnt quite need to stand on his head as much. Keep in mind too that Gudbranson is expected to return either tomorrow or Thurs so that should improve the defense with his brand of physical hockey needed.

No one is questioning that Luongo, in terms of talent, would be an upgrade to Theo. But what it would take to acquire Luongo wouldnt be worth it as an upgrade. Theo is good enough to keep the Panthers in most games and with the production from their forwards starting to become more of a normal sight, they should be able to continue to compete on a nightly basis.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

Luongo doesnt help you? lol

Versteeg is lazy. I dont want him in Vancouver anyways.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
part of it is Florida's need, and part of it is process of elimination

IMO, there's only 5 options: Florida, Tampa, Washington, Islanders, Maple Leafs

I believe McPhee when he says he Washington isn't interested in Luongo's contract.

Tampa is doing more than fine with Lindback.

Toronto's problems aren't in goal. They miss Lupul.

Islanders fans gush about Nabokov, and many claim Snow won't take on a second lengthy contract without at least giving up DP, who I doubt Gillis wants to deal with.

That leaves Florida, which has started to pick up their offense with the return of Weiss, but is needing to score 4+ per game to win, which doesn't suit the offensively challenged Panthers. Plus, Tallon would rather Markstrom carry the Rampage to the playoffs than have the big club rest its hopes on the kid's shoulders.

I don't believe McPhee, so with the recent Gillis visit, they're on the radar more than ever. At the same time, Gillis is going to the FLA game, so there in the discussion as well. You can't discount these two teams IMO.

TOR is out. Maybe for the Islanders depending on what they do with Dipietro, but that's in the offseason. I'm still keeping my eye on Tampa, it's a long season.

PHI will always be there IMO. A team that has tried to throw money at the goaltending problem once, will do it again. They are the one team, in the offseason, that I can see going hard after Lu. Time will tell.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

LOL at Gillis going to games in the most visible way possible. McPhee coming out and saying there's no way he'd take that contract was gold.

Canucks fans will be disappointed with the return if a trade eventually happens.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
LOL at Gillis going to games in the most visible way possible. McPhee coming out and saying there's no way he'd take that contract was gold.

Canucks fans will be disappointed with the return if a trade eventually happens.
Maybe you can let us know how he goes to the game in an invisible way.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post

McPhee coming out with that contract was quite funny. Ovy's contract is Lu's contract on steroids. Real prohibitive there George, yeah.

Negotiating in the media much?

Old
Co Ho*

Quote:

Not really sold on Versteeg, can be a useful player but he's sucked on just as many teams as he's been good on.

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Pretty sure the Canucks are going to have to take a minimal return and/or absorb a large bit of cash (either through another bad contract coming back, or just salary retention.

Who on earth gives a guy a contract lasting to age 43?!?

Closed Thread