HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
He looks great this year. He was fighting it though in the Olympics. He was fighting it game 3,4 and 6 in Boston and a number of games against the Hawks. I'm not here to cause a **** storm. I like Lou, just think he needs other guys to take the heat off of him.
You're just making statements without any backing.

He was 5-0 in the Olympic games....the weight of a country was on him.

Game 6 against Chicago he came off the bench, gave up an OT winner on a rebound....

EVERY goalie needs guys to take the heat off them, their called the forwards and defense....if they score, the heat is taken off, if they don't miss assignments the heat is taken off....

I'll stop now, I'm so tired of this....

Old
02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
The 8 fantastic saves gave them a point.
Isn't that the exact same basis on which people criticize Luongo though. Every time he lets in a bad goal he gets crucified. One of those goals on Dubnyk was from the goal line and the other was a weak shot from the point.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
2 stinkers last night cost their team two points.
Oilers got a point.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Since I passed on a Kuzma report in this thread about Gillis attending the FLA/WPG game, I think it best to retract it now: Kuzma "_suggested_" Gillis is going to possibly go to the FLA/WPG game next. He didn't confirm it. As we find out today from McKenzie, Gillis is instead going to the Rangers/Devils game. Just FYI.

The direct quote:

Quote:
Gillis/Gilman should also be in Wpg on Tuesday for Panthers. Create goalie bidding war between Wash.-Fla. #leverage
https://twitter.com/benkuzma/status/298167605527736320

Old
02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Isn't that the exact same basis on which people criticize Luongo though. Every time he lets in a bad goal he gets crucified. One of those goals on Dubnyk was from the goal line and the other was a weak shot from the point.
The point was, you can frame things how you want to prove a point.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Lu started slow, Schneider came in and played lights out. They wouldn't have had that option without Schneider.

No, the team played like **** and needed a shake up, Luongo was fine but not outstanding, stop trying to be a spin doctor.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:16 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You're just making statements without any backing.

He was 5-0 in the Olympic games....the weight of a country was on him.

Game 6 against Chicago he came off the bench, gave up an OT winner on a rebound....

EVERY goalie needs guys to take the heat off them, their called the forwards and defense....if they score, the heat is taken off, if they don't miss assignments the heat is taken off....

I'll stop now, I'm so tired of this....
He had a great record in the Oly because they won but he made it too interesting. It was like he had new equipment and fighting every puck. Everyone was commenting on it and I am sure every goalie has the issue at some point.

The stigma doesn't come off until you win. Belfor was a little 'too out there' until he won. Wasn't Thomas to unorthodox to win the big one a few years ago? I can go on for forty years of hockey I have watched. Lou is not the first nor the last but I do believe he can win, maybe in Van if they can get the right mix there.

It doesn't come off until you win.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Feds left as UFA, with some bad blood between him and MGMT. Also, I think he wanted to be the next leader of the team, but was passed over for Lidstrom (poor choice, right?!). I don't know how the Shanny deal was perceived outside of the Detroit area (I was like 15) at the time, but most of us were crazy excited. Shanny was exactly what the team needed to put it over the hump. The skill players back then were even bigger sissys than Detroit's current squad, so Shanny provided grit and scoring to the top 6. I think he really helped quiet Yzerman out too, since he was like Stevie Y's loud and brash 2nd in command.

Its a real tough analogy to the situation VAN faces, because in most all the trade proposals so far, VAN is giving up the Shanny in that deal.
It's nice to read all your posts, you remember all this stuff.

I would agree with your analogy with Van and Shanny that is why I would move Schneider. I think you can get the right pieces there to get over the top. So would you give up a really good young goaltender for a shot at the cup, maybe a couple? I would but that is me.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:20 PM
vanwest

Quote:
He had a great record in the Oly because they won but he made it too interesting. It was like he had new equipment and fighting every puck. Everyone was commenting on it and I am sure every goalie has the issue at some point.

The stigma doesn't come off until you win. Belfor was a little 'too out there' until he won. Wasn't Thomas to unorthodox to win the big one a few years ago? I can go on for forty years of hockey I have watched. Lou is not the first nor the last but I do believe he can win, maybe in Van if they can get the right mix there.

You mean like when he robbed Pavol Demitra, arguably the best player in the Olympics, in the dying seconds of the Slovakia game. Luongo seems to be held to a different standard by most fans, including Vancouver fans. eg he wins a gold medal but looked shaky. How about if he would have played lights out like Miller and let the Crosby goal in from a bad angle. Miller gets praised but Luongo would have been crucified for that.
I agree with the rest of what you said other than that though.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
topchowda

As of right now: Edmonton is more than happy with Dubnyk. Hes been great since second half of last season and hasnt missed a beat. .925% sv percentage thus far (.940 if you take out 1st period of SJ game). It can be argued hes a top 10 goalie in the league so far this season up to this point.

He probaly cant keep this pace up, but has shown he can handle the load even when Smid-Petry havent been playing up their regular levels

Old
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
The 8 fantastic saves gave them a point.
No one ever seems to look at it this way when it comes to Luongo.

02-05-2013, 05:32 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
You mean like when he robbed Pavol Demitra, arguably the best player in the Olympics, in the dying seconds of the Slovakia game. Luongo seems to be held to a different standard by most fans, including Vancouver fans. eg he wins a gold medal but looked shaky. How about if he would have played lights out like Miller and let the Crosby goal in from a bad angle. Miller gets praised but Luongo would have been crucified for that.
I agree with the rest of what you said other than that though.
Just going by what I saw. We all get our backs up when it's our own player and I understand that.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
It's nice to read all your posts, you remember all this stuff.

I would agree with your analogy with Van and Shanny that is why I would move Schneider. I think you can get the right pieces there to get over the top. So would you give up a really good young goaltender for a shot at the cup, maybe a couple? I would but that is me.
Absolutely. Luongo has a bunch of great years left in him. I think the problem is that VAN fans want it to be like the Favre/Rodgers transition - where you went from an arguable top7 QB of all time to an instant league MVP. Boom, the QB position is locked down for the next 15 years. Similarly, there are very few goalies in this era that stack up to Lu talent-wise, but now there is this alluring young goalie that could promise another 10-12 years of top-notch net play. Problem is, in the cap-driven market, there are few teams that would pony-up what it should take to acquire Lu on talent alone.

I say, sell Schneider for some good young pieces, and make your run at (multiple) Cup(s) in the window that is open - VAN has proven they are a good enough team to get there. During that time, trust MGMT to draft and develop another replacement (like they did with Schneider) - that is MGMT's job.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Absolutely. Luongo has a bunch of great years left in him. I think the problem is that VAN fans want it to be like the Favre/Rodgers transition - where you went from an arguable top7 QB of all time to an instant league MVP. Boom, the QB position is locked down for the next 15 years. Similarly, there are very few goalies in this era that stack up to Lu talent-wise, but now there is this alluring young goalie that could promise another 10-12 years of top-notch net play. Problem is, in the cap-driven market, there are few teams that would pony-up what it should take to acquire Lu on talent alone.

I say, sell Schneider for some good young pieces, and make your run at (multiple) Cup(s) in the window that is open - VAN has proven they are a good enough team to get there. During that time, trust MGMT to draft and develop another replacement (like they did with Schneider) - that is MGMT's job.
This is exactly how I would handle it. By the time Lou leaves you will have another replacement but before that you could have a cup or two.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
blankall

Quote:

Yup. Sedin's aren't getting any younger. You've managed to find a complimentary piece in Kassian. Go with the best goalie now, Luongo. It gives you the best shot for a cup.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

The original reply was based on you claiming he had a poor international record.

Now you're saying he won it, but looked bad?

The stigma won't come off till he won? he won the olympics, that was my biggest problem....I won't rehash the playoffs, been tired of that for 2 years.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Yup. Sedin's aren't getting any younger. You've managed to find a complimentary piece in Kassian. Go with the best goalie now, Luongo. It gives you the best shot for a cup.
The Sedins are barely 32 (judging by HF you'd think 42). I don't see the big rush here... Gillis will do what's best for the team. Time will tell what that is.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
No, the team played like **** and needed a shake up, Luongo was fine but not outstanding, stop trying to be a spin doctor.

I didn't like Luongo's second game. In any event, when Schneider played, he looked better than Luongo. Don't know why that's spin but ok.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The Sedins are barely 32 (judging by HF you'd think 42). I don't see the big rush here... Gillis will do what's best for the team. Time will tell what that is.
And how long do you expect them to play at top form for? The Sedin's have been PPG+ forwards for many years now. Do you expect that to continue when they are 36? 37? 38?

So like I said, they aren't getting younger. At 32, they only have a few years left of peak play.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:08 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
It's hard to tell people on hf that anyone over 30 is worth anything anymore. Hell, there are people here saying that Edmonton is already missing it's window when most of it's core is like 20 years old. The Sedins both probably have another 3 great years, and then another 3 years where they are productive left in them. So I think the Canucks real window right now for a cup win is probably the next 3 years.

With a Schnieder trade they could really add the finishing touches they would need I think to put themselves in at least one more cup final in the next 3 years.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
rune74

Quote:

Interesting? Did you not see brodeur play in those games? Talk about interesting. He got outplayed by Lu.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Just going by what I saw. We all get our backs up when it's our own player and I understand that.
What you actually saw was Luongo stealing the starting job from the best goalie of our generation and guiding a fragile team to a gold medal.

People argue that our team was stacked compared to others but the reality is that the same team with Brodeur in net lost to the US a week earlier which is why Luongo was getting starts at all.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I guess people see what they want to see all right.
He's probably the first gold medal winning goalie to be judged on style points.

Last edited by vanwest: 02-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 06:53 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
What you actually saw was Luongo stealing the starting job from the best goalie of our generation and guiding a fragile team to a gold medal.

People argue that our team was stacked compared to others but the reality is that the same team with Brodeur in net lost to the US a week earlier which is why Luongo was getting starts at all.
Brodeur shouldn't have even been on the team.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
SFD22

Proposal:

TO TOR: Luongo + Kesler

TO VAN: Kessel + Bozak + Franson

Last edited by SFD22: 02-05-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: sp
Closed Thread