HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 12:18 AM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Obviously there is going to be speculation involving the Leafs given their goaltending issues last year.
To be fair Reimer was battling a concussion mid season. I think hes back to form. Its not like this year is an anomaly. He played good his 1st season and second season pre concussion

Old
02-06-2013, 12:43 AM
kihei

vCash: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Go away? This is a Luongo thread. Maybe those who don't have interest in Luongo should be the ones who depart. You don't speak for the Leafs brass, nor do you speak for the entire fanbase. For the life of me I cannot grasp the impetus behind Leafs fans entering a Luongo thread and telling Canucks fans which teams they can and cannot speculate about.
Not go away from thread; go away from this fixation on Toronto. And again this isn't a Vancouver thread, so stop being so proprietary. If you want to speculate about Toronto as a destination, it's fair game for a Toronto fan to attempt to rain on that parade. You've got an opinion about it; well, I've got another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
What if Kessel doesn't score in 15-20 games? And even if he does what do you think his production will end up being this year? Less then 10 goals? I bet Nonis is looking at the NTC that kicks in next year and thinking if he should move this guy now. He loves Luongo. Probably wont happen, but I really wouldn't be suprised if Nonis makes a move like this.
Okay, we are talking about the Leafs right now, and, god knows, never say never. Kessel could well be on the move at some point. But to move Kessel for Luongo is to move our best player and biggest asset (even with the slump). Which would mean that, with Kessel gone, Luongo is even less likely to do anything for the Leafs than possibly nudge them into the playoffs at the expense of continued mediocrity. Nonis may like Roberto, but he is a smart enough guy to figure that out. If Kessel goes, it will likely be for the traditional good player, top prospect, high draft pick combo. In other words, something that will help the team fill more holes over a longer period of time.

I respect Luongo. He just isn't a good fit with where the Leafs are right now in terms of team development. Plus, goal tending so far has been among the lesser worries this season. So if you want to devise a Luongo trade that doesn't involve Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, first round draft picks or second round draft picks, be my guest. That is what I think it would take to put Toronto realistically into play here. Failing that, Toronto is the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Not go away from thread; go away from this fixation on Toronto. And again this isn't a Vancouver thread, so stop being so proprietary. If you want to speculate about Toronto as a destination, it's fair game for a Toronto fan to attempt to rain on that parade. You've got an opinion about it; well, I've got another.

Okay, we are talking about the Leafs right now, and, god knows, never say never. Kessel could well be on the move at some point. But to move Kessel for Luongo is to move our best player and biggest asset (even with the slump). Which would mean that, with Kessel gone, Luongo is even less likely to do anything for the Leafs than possibly nudge them into the playoffs at the expense of continued mediocrity. Nonis may like Roberto, but he is a smart enough guy to figure that out. If Kessel goes, it will likely be for the traditional good player, top prospect, high draft pick combo. In other words, something that will help the team fill more holes over a longer period of time.

I respect Luongo. He just isn't a good fit with where the Leafs are right now in terms of team development. Plus, goal tending so far has been among the lesser worries this season. So if you want to devise a Luongo trade that doesn't involve Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, first round draft picks or second round draft picks, be my guest. That is what I think it would take to put Toronto realistically into play here. Failing that, Toronto is the wrong place at the wrong time.
I see where you are coming from and I was kind of joking about the trade, but there is something interesting happening right now with the Leafs. They are in a playoff spot even without Kessel scoring. So you ask what is your point? Well I don't think Luongo would nudge them into a playoff spot I think the Leafs might do that without him, but rather push them into a 4-7 range. I've watched most of the Leafs games this year and Carlyle has them playing pretty decent defence. This is the biggest difference I have noticed over last year, and by no means is it perfect but there is no doubt a big improvement. Yes Reimer's numbers are decent, but as I mentioned I think this is a benefit of better overall team defence. Anyways you said make a package without including the above listed players, I am assuming you meant to include JVR in that list?

Kulemin
Frattin
Finn/Biggs
Scrivens/Reimer

For

Luongo
Higgins

There's a package that does not include any of your listed pieces, or JVR because as I said I assumed you forgot him on the list.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Penguins: Have MAF under contract, he's good enough for them to win, he's proven that.
Capitals: Already have a longterm contract on the books, know the dangers first hand.
Edmonton: No way this trade happens within the division.
Blackhawks: HAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha
Panthers: Possible trade destination, if they were interested I'm certain this trade would already have been completed
Leafs: Sure, if they can find something they're willing to part with of value to send back
Flyers: Already have that long term goalie signed until he retires, why would they need a second one?

Sure, I might be wrong here, I certainly have been wrong in the past. But this whole saga stinks like overblown media garbage to me.

I have opinions, like everyone else around here, and I think we both know mine are not "oh man Luongo is going to return a HUGE haul".

There's very little motive for the Canucks to move him right now unless some team gets pressured from ownership to paid out the nose for Luongo. I think that part is pretty clear by now. But we all know something will have to happen before the start of next season. I expect Luongo to be moved during the off season. I also expect him to be moved for something that the talking heads at TSN will label "underwhelming" or "less than expected".

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the return is "less than expected". But then everyone is careful not to define what is expected. So it's easier to make such a claim.

More or less, I agree with your general take, but not your evaluations of the prospective teams.

For Washington: If they miss the playoffs, I'm not sure McPhee is there to make any call whatsoever. They are the complete wildcard here. Two young goaltenders and their management is in a precarious position. Who knows what they are like in the offseason.

Panthers: The only thing blocking the trade here, IMO, is money. FLA is a budget team and needs to send money back, which Gillis doesn't want to do. These guys are still there IMO, waiting.

Flyers: If Bryz falls apart in the playoffs again, buy out. They have the means as one of the richest teams in the league. Holmgren did enquire about Luongo as well. Wait and see for them.

Chicago: I agree.

Toronto: I think they're out. They can't give up enough to get him, and they are more rebuilding than playoff bound. A bubble team that won't go all in on Luongo.

Edmonton: Don't discount these guys. If all avenues are closed, Gillis will take the poison pill and send Luongo here. He needs the situation resolved and they reportedly have been there every step of the way.

Columbus: I still think these guys have a great chance at landing Luongo. This year is about respectability for them, and they are playing a hard brand of hockey. If it came down to just getting a starter's role anywhere, or staying in VAN, I have to believe Luongo would waive for CLB. At that point, it's just about getting a starters gig to any team.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I see where you are coming from and I was kind of joking about the trade, but there is something interesting happening right now with the Leafs. They are in a playoff spot even without Kessel scoring. So you ask what is your point? Well I don't think Luongo would nudge them into a playoff spot I think the Leafs might do that without him, but rather push them into a 4-7 range. I've watched most of the Leafs games this year and Carlyle has them playing pretty decent defence. This is the biggest difference I have noticed over last year, and by no means is it perfect but there is no doubt a big improvement. Yes Reimer's numbers are decent, but as I mentioned I think this is a benefit of better overall team defence. Anyways you said make a package without including the above listed players, I am assuming you meant to include JVR in that list?

Kulemin
Frattin
Finn/Biggs
Scrivens/Reimer

For

Luongo
Higgins

There's a package that does not include any of your listed pieces, or JVR because as I said I assumed you forgot him on the list.

The best thing for VAN is to have the Leafs close to a playoff spot, or in one, by the deadline. Then the speculation will run rampant. Still won't be a trade though, I think.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:06 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
This 'fixation' is overstated. The post of yours which elicited my reply was itself a response to a list of 5-10 that might be interested in upgrading their goaltending. Luongo's name wasn't linked to Toronto any more than it was to eight other teams. Hardly a fixation.

Look at the content of the most recent Luongo threads. The majority of speculation has been with Washington and Florida, with Toronto out on the periphery aside from a smattering of Schneider for Kessel proposals. As the media speculation moves away from Toronto, slowly does the fan speculation follow.

I have no problem with Leafs fans 'raining on the parade' when Canucks fans make unfavourable proposals involving their team, so long as they do it respectfully. What irks me are fans who feel obliged to voice their disapproval at the mere announcement of the parade. We are a vast collection of fans. There will always be a vast spectrum of speculation here. There's no need to get up in arms over any discussion involving your team. Crying 'fixation' at the mere utterance of the Maple Leafs only serves to detract from the already low quality of discussion in this thread.

Sorry about the rant. It's only partially directed at you. I have my pet peeves in here as do you, and your post managed to hit a couple of them. I did however appreciate the thoughtful reply in the latter half of your most recent post. Posts like those in which people coherently express their positions instead of simply opposing those of others are much more effective in nurturing productive discussion.

So, if I may ask, why would you take something with as little value as a 2nd round pick off the table for Luongo? I understand not including Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri, JVR, the 1sts, and even the likes of Gunnarson, Grabovski and Kulemin, but I can't comprehend how a 2nd round pick could be a non-starter in a Luongo trade. I have to think that if Nonis was offered a deal for Luongo with a 2nd round pick being the centerpiece he would be thanking his lucky stars. With all due respect, what gives?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:37 AM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Cap space aside, it just isn't an ideal situation to have two elite goaltenders on the playoff roster. If you trust Schneider (and you shouldn't be trading Luongo if you don't) someone like Laich is more valuable to a playoff run than Luongo would be. That's not to say he should be dealt for Laich, but I don't think Gillis is too enthused about the prospect of having this drag past the deadline. Nor should he be.
It would depend on the + that comes with Laich. Canuck's have no other healthy goalies in their system.

Laich by himself isn't worth Luongo and his contract doesn't really fit into the cap structure. I like Laich as a player and would accept a package based around him if WAS ate some salary (cap hit).

Old
02-06-2013, 03:26 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I found it especially funny that after it got printed Liut was incensed with the writer, refused to comment further, saying he was misrepresented, and phoned Gilman to convey his dissatisfaction with how he was represented.

There won't be another peep out of him or Cory for quite some time now I think.
It's worse because TSN wouldn't even identify the writer. This even after Gillis has ripped TSN for being terribly one-sided.

Now we have two people who are definitely in the know who have stated that TSN is misrepresenting things in order to make Vancouver's position look worse than it is.

I wonder if Nonis' second cousin was the unnamed writer for TSN although Dreger usually takes credit for his "insider information".

Old
02-06-2013, 03:35 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
We are left with Washington and Toronto, whom have both expressed neither intends to pay the price Gillis demands. Instead they offer something akin to:

Toronto: Bozak + 1st (2014) + Reimer/Scrivens
Washington: Brouwer + 1st (2014) + Neuvirth

And refuse to move. They could even substitute the firsts for lesser prospects. Do we accept? If no, then what? Wait them out? Okay, October rolls around and they remain adamant to the above or thereabouts. What now? Do we go into the new season with a lesser roster just to prove a point?
If you're five IFs play out, assuming that MIN and DET re-sign their UFA goalies then I feel like you take the best offer at the draft. It likely won't include Bozak because he's a UFA. I'd likely take the Toronto offer because I think they are the team most likely to miss the playoffs with Luongo (thus resulting in a better pick)...Luongo's leadership in the locker room would be huge for WAS IMO.

The thing is, there's so many assumptions you need to make to narrow it down. The reality is, all of this will be played out over the year with things constantly changing. Let's not forget that Kipper is likely to change teams too IMO. I think he'd be a great fit in FLA (to mentor Markstrom) or maybe Weiss leaves FLA and FLA trades Markstrom to CBJ in exchange for Johansson or something like that.

It's way too early to speculate on who the players in all of this will be when push comes to shove...I do believe that the end of the line will be at the draft and I can't say for certain who will be our starter beyond the draft.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:44 AM
kihei

Quote:

Kulemin
Frattin
Finn/Biggs
Scrivens/Reimer

For

Luongo
Higgins

I did indeed forget JVR, and I thank you for realizing that. I find your trade proposal a refreshing one because it does seem to me a reasonable offer. However, I would still give it a definite "no." Why? It is too early to tell, but all of a sudden the Komarov/Kadri/Frattin line is looking like an offensive line of the future, a big bonus most of us weren't expecting. Maybe, anyway; it's way too soon to tell, but in Leaf land you take your hope where you can find it. So, I can't see Leafs management risking trading Frattin if he continues to pot goals and click with Nazem.

There may or may not be something happening with the Leafs. They have a habit of looking good for awhile and then just completely falling apart. Overall team defense, especially, fades in and out like the tide. As one of your Canuck posters pointed out on another thread, the Leafs likely have the capacity to get better but still not be good enough to win a championship. I agree with that entirely. Hopefully, we show patience, work with the promising players that we have now (which would include Kulemin), and build through the draft. Just as we weren't a Kessel away from anything when we got Phil, we aren't a Luongo away from anything now.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:00 AM
kihei

Quote:
So, if I may ask, why would you take something with as little value as a 2nd round pick off the table for Luongo? I understand not including Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri, JVR, the 1sts, and even the likes of Gunnarson, Grabovski and Kulemin, but I can't comprehend how a 2nd round pick could be a non-starter in a Luongo trade. I have to think that if Nonis was offered a deal for Luongo with a 2nd round pick being the centerpiece he would be thanking his lucky stars. With all due respect, what gives?
In a draft year that is as strong as this one supposedly is, that likely early second rounder could be a very good player, possibly more than that. And it's that possibility that I am willing to bet on. There have been so many instances over the decades where the Leafs modus operandi was to squander young players and/or high draft picks on aging veterans. It is a strategy that has significantly contributed to decades of mediocrity. We have a promising young team now, but not one that even if all goes well is likely to challenge seriously for the Cup. We desperately need more elite young players, especially at centre, but elsewhere as well. I think the Leafs building through the draft is the only sane thing to do. Not that the words sane and Leafs are often used in the same sentence....

Old
02-06-2013, 05:18 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

The Leafs will not be in if they are close to a playoff spot because if they are it would have been Reimer who got them to that position. I honestly think the Leafs are out either way. Gillis asked for way too much from the Leafs perspective (regardless of value or not) and figured they could wait the Leafs and any team out. The problem with that is Reimer had a chance to prove that the first season wasn't a fluke and that he was a capable starter and so far he's doing well. Then Kadri starts out hot and there is no deal. Guess Vancouver can hope for other teams who weren't involved before to get involved but as to the Leafs, that ship has sailed.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:26 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

If there was a deal centered around a 2nd round pick, Luongo would already be in Toronto (or any other destination) for that matter that wanted him and his contract. Only on HFBoards would that create pause.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
I guess Schneider expects the starting role is to be handed to him?

You play the better goalie, period. On top of it all, you DON'T trade the better goalie to make the other one happy. That's some stupid remarks by his agent, hopefully he wasn't echoing Schneider.
Likely, yes, or at least his agent does. It was completely naive to expect Schneider to sign that contract without at least an understanding that he was to be the #1 goalie and Luongo was to be traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
The Leafs will not be in if they are close to a playoff spot because if they are it would have been Reimer who got them to that position. I honestly think the Leafs are out either way. Gillis asked for way too much from the Leafs perspective (regardless of value or not) and figured they could wait the Leafs and any team out. The problem with that is Reimer had a chance to prove that the first season wasn't a fluke and that he was a capable starter and so far he's doing well. Then Kadri starts out hot and there is no deal. Guess Vancouver can hope for other teams who weren't involved before to get involved but as to the Leafs, that ship has sailed.
Realistically, as long as Reimer doesn't completely crap the bed, it won't affect Toronto's willingness to trade for Luongo during the season. Vancouver's ability to use Toronto as a trade partner expired when the season started and we went in a younger direction. Come the offseason, Luongo is a player we might consider again, but guys like Frattin & Kadri will be much less likely to be available.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:15 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I found it especially funny that after it got printed Liut was incensed with the writer, refused to comment further, saying he was misrepresented, and phoned Gilman to convey his dissatisfaction with how he was represented.

There won't be another peep out of him or Cory for quite some time now I think.
Seriously, though how many people after these stories are always, misunderstood or misquoted? It is always the easy thing to say, isn't it? You would think people would learn from the people whop have done this in the past. There is no reason he should have said anything in this situation eithet, IMO, as he had to have known everything will be raked over the coals.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Kulemin
Frattin
Finn/Biggs
Scrivens/Reimer

For

Luongo
Higgins

What is the end game in bringing RL to TO?

Just making the playoffs?

You think the leafs could turn into cup contenders in the 5 ish great years he has left?

And within that 5 ish years , how many of those years are we true contenders?.

Sorry but Lou does not fit into our teams progression timeline.

Now if you want to talk Schnieder, thats a tender that fits in our teams progression line.

We are not junkies, we don't need a quick fix PO hit, we have arguably the most patient , forgiving fans base in the league and our new ownership understands this.

This is not the teachers pension fund where all they saw was the bottom line.

Sorry but our quick fix junkies are gone TPF and Burkie.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:21 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
It's worse because TSN wouldn't even identify the writer. This even after Gillis has ripped TSN for being terribly one-sided.

Now we have two people who are definitely in the know who have stated that TSN is misrepresenting things in order to make Vancouver's position look worse than it is.

I wonder if Nonis' second cousin was the unnamed writer for TSN although Dreger usually takes credit for his "insider information".
Here is you unnamed source, lol, printed in the Vancouver Sun Canuck Cory Schneiderís agent hopes Roberto Luongo trade comes sooner rather than later
'We were hoping this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games,' says Mike Liut
By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2K7nnQrQO

Old
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Here is you unnamed source, lol, printed in the Vancouver Sun Canuck Cory Schneiderís agent hopes Roberto Luongo trade comes sooner rather than later
'We were hoping this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games,' says Mike Liut
Wait a minute....this doesn't say TSN......must be wrong.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
You read this other Liut quote?

Quote:
"We are only interested in resolution, we are not going to get into the finger-pointing game and to that end you have to take a step back and you have to give them latitude to make a business decision."
RIFT!

Old
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Here is you unnamed source, lol, printed in the Vancouver Sun Canuck Cory Schneider’s agent hopes Roberto Luongo trade comes sooner rather than later

The entire interview is actual really tame and Liut hardly says anything inflammatory, but if you cherry pick quotes without putting them in context, of course it will make the situation look worse. Our media wants a goalie controversy, it sells

Old
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Tiranis

Or how about this quote?

Quote:
Liut and client quickly finding Canadian media a whole lot different than things down south. Liut says no more interviews.
Pretty clear that his words were taken out of context and blown all out of proportion.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Kesler is generational talent at the Selke level. Hes a poor mans Datsyuk , and that guys going to the hall of fame.

Kessel is a tag line joke in a trade straight up for Kesler.

If we were to somehow trade our best all around player, it would have to be something like this.

Kesler for Kessel , Kadri and Gardiner.

Even then my fellow Nuck fans probably flame me.
Wow. To any rational HF'er (I know, doesn't exist) Kesler = Mike Richards. Heck, I would rather have Richards over Kesler any day. The package you suggest not being good enough is WAY higher than the price paid for Richards. Now, maybe you are saying that Kesler is worth SO much to VAN that it would take massive overpayment to get him in a trade, but to say that he is worth Kessel, Kadri and Gardiner + is absolutely bonkers.

To get back on track - If I were TOR at this point, I would be maxing out at Kadri and Gardiner (maybe a 2nd or 3rd thrown in) for Lu or Schneider, no way Kessel or Lupol or Grabo would even be in the discussion. And before someone brings up that I used the Richards trade as a bell-weather, and certainly Lu (and maybe Schneider) is worth more than Richards, VAN still has to face the fact that the Cap is getting diced next year, and good luck with $10mm committed to goalies.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Or how about this quote?

Pretty clear that his words were taken out of context and blown all out of proportion.
Yup, this must be Liut's first dealing with Canadian media. Not. He got his point across to Gillis now he sits back and watches what happens. Don't be surprised if he makes another mis-quote in 10 days or so if everything is still status quo.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Or how about this quote?

Regardless of the context of the quotes, and what Liut said, or did not say, Cory Schnieder is certainly frustrated and wanting to play. He's a highly competitive athlete. When he gets back into the net, he will play amazingly, keep playing, and Luongo will sit. Or, he will play poorly, sit, and watch Luongo play. With goalies like Luongo and Schnieder the most likely circumstance is one will play amazingly for 4 to 6 games in a row, while the other sits and watches. They are number one's.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Wait a minute....this doesn't say TSN......must be wrong.
SHUSH YOU, I made it up....lol

Closed Thread