HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Natural Habs Fan

vCash: 500
I was looking forward to the triple low five.

I'll agree that Yakupov's reaction to his tying goal was a little over the top but a little fun and excitement is refreshing.

Oh well!

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Is it OK if we use the triple low five GIF after each win ?
Yes please

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Bieber fever

MT and MB are dumb

They run this organisation mostly on intangibles. It's a matter of time before this team is full of grinders .

This team is going to be a bottom team under those 2 guyz but we will have a team with "culture" filled with"team player" .

Pathetic

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:04 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
This is stupid.

If MT wants Price and Subban to stop the triple-low-five, that's his call, but it should remain between him, Price and PK. There's no reason to make a public announcement, the Habs' PR department should know better than to put this out and create another "tempête dans un verre d'eau." If they don't talk about it, people probably don't even notice that they stopped doing it. Now, everybody's up-in-arms about it, whatever side they stand on.

Personally, I love hockey, but I hate everything about the mentality that surrounds the sport. "Modest" this, "modest" that. I agree that it's a team game, but I just don't see how a handshake goes against that when they did it after saluting every other player. Oh well, welcome to Montreal. Great message sent to PK as well. "You're a good player, but your personality, AKA what makes you one of the most popular and marketable players on this team, is not acceptable." Stupid.
It wasn't a public announcement. Price was the one who told the media after practice.

Quote:
“There’s going to be no low-fives this year,” said Price. “There’s only a team celebration at the end of the game.”'
A reporter then asked Therrien about it and he said he wants the team to be more humble. That's it. I don't get what the big deal is.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
It wasn't a public announcement. Price was the one who told the media after practice.

A reporter then asked Therrien about it and he said he wants the team to be more humble. That's it. I don't get what the big deal is.
Fair enough. Still, it should have been kept private. Then nobody notices/cares because they're happy to see the players salute the fans instead of being all "y u no 3x-lo-5?" I just don't see how the handshake makes them look less humble.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
David_99

Quote:
This is stupid.

If MT wants Price and Subban to stop the triple-low-five, that's his call, but it should remain between him, Price and PK. There's no reason to make a public announcement, the Habs' PR department should know better than to put this out and create another "tempête dans un verre d'eau."
Price leaked it.

Quote:
Fair enough. Still, it should have been kept private. Then nobody notices/cares because they're happy to see the players salute the fans instead of being all "y u no 3x-lo-5?" I just don't see how the handshake makes them look less humble.
I think he wants individuals to be more modest. Congratulate each other as an entire team and leave it there. It's more of a symbolic thing.
Rememeber at the start of the lockout, the PA showed up in their unmatching casual wear? Then they all suddenly started wearing suits? It's a unity thing.

Last edited by David_99: 02-01-2013 at 05:28 PM.
David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:30 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

i don't like this....i love seeing the triple low five....i don't think there's anything cocky about. how is it any different from throwing yourself at the glass or swooping your arm down across the ice before doing a fist pump?

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
They should just do a triple HIGH five, or perhaps a complicated set of hand shakes and claps like in baseball after someone hits a homerun?

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
thom

Therrian needs to be very careful with thus stunt its good to be tough but this is how he lost the penguins room.The oilers of the early 80's were the most arragant team in hockey along with there coach sathar.Some of the stories were over the top

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Just saw PK on the tv. He's totally in the dark on when he's coming back and seems pretty frustrated.

PK:
"I'm ready to go but its not my decision its the coach's decision..."

MT:
"We have to be careful. You can't just say things like he's a good athelete and just throw him out there... I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that."

WTF man. How can MT not know by now? Seriously, this is just ****ing stupid. Meanwhile PK is sitting there looking like an idiot in front of the cameras... It really seems like we're going out of our way to publicly shame this guy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Good call. The Yankees have tons of rules like those (hair, facial hair, gimmicks, over-celebrating, etc.). And the players respect it. Because they respect the logo and all it brings with it.

Therrien and Bergevin want the players that wear the uni to think like that too. The 'not stepping on the logo' thing is of the same ilk.

All for it.
I agree with you 100%, if this is the mentality that management wants to instill on this team then I'm all for it.

Edit: And I don't have a lawn

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Just saw PK on the tv. He's totally in the dark on when he's coming back and seems pretty frustrated.

PK:
"I'm ready to go but its not my decision its the coach's decision..."

MT:
"We have to be careful. You can't just say things like he's a good athlete and just throw him out there... I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that."
Not that I am a head coach in the NHL or anything, but why doesn't it work that way? He's been keeping active, training. PK at 50% is clearly better than Kaberle or Weber.

Why does Subban need a longer training camp than anyone else in the NHL had?

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
la25ecoupe

PK can tripple low five the other goalie.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Guys I don't know why everyone is so upset about it. It was a silly celebration and I felt a little embarrassed watching it.

But it should be obvious to every Hab fan out there right now that MB and MT still very much view Subban as a project. They want to see more than anything over the next two years if PK can be a true team player and well liked in the dressing room.

This came from MT but I can assure you there was some input from MB as well. Love the way that guy is running this team right now (MB)

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:50 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
PK can tripple low five the other goalie.
Oh man, I can imagine the monumental ****storm that would hit the board if he tried that...

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Bill McNeal

Ridiculous micromanagement that only serves to shine a negative light on a guy you just went through a contract dispute with.

It's completely harmless and the fans (for the most part) like it.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
This generation have this 'thing' about 'standing out of the crowd': being loud, being brash and being seen. I guess the poor babies didn't get the attention they wanted when they were kids. Is there someone stuying human behavior here? Because for an old fart like me, that's what is looks like. The You Tube/Facebook/Twitter generation that NEEDS attention. I don't get it, sorry. This craving for attention is a symptom of something that I can't grasp.
You're right. The 70's era players never did anything that wasn't team related.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
It was a silly celebration and I felt a little embarrassed watching it.
If I remember correctly, the celebration started between Price and PK as a way to lift Price's spirits, after he suffered a bit of a confidence crisis around the time of the Halak playoff run. He was no longer our starter, and his future was unsure.

I always looked at it as a fun, harmless way to get Price back in the game a bit, which snowballed into something the fans enjoyed seeing.

We shouldn't be embarrassed by that. Two good athletes showing a little emotion after a win is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Not that I am a head coach in the NHL or anything, but why doesn't it work that way? He's been keeping active, training. PK at 50% is clearly better than Kaberle or Weber.

Why does Subban need a longer training camp than anyone else in the NHL had?
Anyone else, he'd be playing now. At the very least they should tell him when he's playing and not leave him twisting in the wind. The whole thing is just so awkward man... Don't like how they're handling this.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
If I remember correctly, the celebration started between Price and PK as a way to lift Price's spirits, after he suffered a bit of a confidence crisis after the Halak playoff run.

I always looked at it as a way to get Price back in the game a bit.

We shouldn't be embarrassed by that. Two good athletes showing a little emotion after a win is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Didn't know that, thanks.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You're right. The 70's era players never did anything that wasn't team related.

The 70s Habs won cups. I'm on the fence about this whole thing but I think the comparison is lacking.

Also, the poster you quoted made some good points about showboating and whatnot. Who knows how MTs policy will work? Maybe PK will benefit from it.

Remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:59 PM
HatTricK09

"I really wanted to play with P.K. The problem was with P.K. is that everyone wanted to fix him. P.K. is P.K. You don’t fix him. You have to just keep him focused and on the ball. That’s why I thought I had a good relationship with him – we’re going up the ice and I’m yelling at him to go, yelling at him. And he’s like, “Oh yeah, okay…”" - Hal Gill

Those celebrations did no harm, it was all fun and the fans loved it.
Hockey players are human too, let them show emotions and have fun, as long as there's no harm.
Therrien needs to reconsider this

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:01 PM
thom

Good video of Lafleur but how about Dave Tiger Williams in the 70's riding his stick when he scored his goals.Or Eddie Shack doing his tv commercials in the 60's even though he was not a star

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
The 70s Habs won cups. I'm on the fence about this whole thing but I think the comparison is lacking.

Also, the poster you quoted made some good points about showboating and whatnot. Who knows how MTs policy? Maybe PK will benefit from it.
You honestly think Therrien's attitude would change if they were winning Cups? I sure as hell don't.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post

Also, the poster you quoted made some good points about showboating and whatnot. Who knows how MTs policy will work? Maybe PK will benefit from it.
I think its a perfect comparison. PK didn't win a cup but a triple low five is pretty freakin far from having your own disco album... its all relative.

Besides, the original poster was trying to say that back in the day the players weren't attention seekers... clearly they were. You can ask Joe Namath about that one.