HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXXI: Daydream Belever

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 08:25 AM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Recent decleration of the Qc mayor. Apparently he said

"Those who don't know talk, those who know don't talk".

I don't know what he is talking about. :-)
Well. He just talked. Where does that leave you?

Old
02-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Well. He just talked. Where does that leave you?
... he doesnt know lol

I thought the sentence was fun.

I bet you won't hear a single beep from here for the next weeks/months. If you'd know the mayor, shutting up (if he knows) is certainly a psychological nightmare for him.

Last edited by Nordskull: 02-06-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying

If one is considering possible AHL relocation teams, one just has to look at the the 5 teams that are below 4,000 in average attendance: Abbotsford, Springfield, Adirondack, Binghamton, and Oklahoma City. Any one of those could be a candidate, not to mention any others that might be having lease troubles.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
If one is considering possible AHL relocation teams, one just has to look at the the 5 teams that are below 4,000 in average attendance: Abbotsford, Springfield, Adirondack, Binghamton, and Oklahoma City. Any one of those could be a candidate, not to mention any others that might be having lease troubles.
The only reason do that is for discussion. Theres already bigger candidates.

Nah, at the best, there are 2 1/2 candidates, the 1/2 being Glendale itself.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:25 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govment Cheese View Post
I think the NHL would be ok with a short term lease with an out for the new owner. It gets the NHL out of the ownership business and buys them time for a couple cities to get new arenas built. But as someone mentioned earlier the NHL may continue status qou, rather than move the team before they have at least two destinations for the team so they can start a bidding war.

IMO NHL asked for the moon to relocate to QC and PKP told them to stuff it. He knows there is no other NHL ready location at this time. The NHL won't have leverage until there is another NHL ready location.
The NHL does that without the prospect of new ownership in PHX, the fans will slow to a crawl for five years! The losses would be completely ridiculous, no way that occurs!

Old
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
BTW since no one mentioned in attendance for the last home game against Minnesota was 9,508. I guess there aren't many transplanted Minnesotans in Arizona...
That number was grossly inflated, if there were 6500 in attendance i would be surprised!

Old
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Wont work aqib, and you know it. AHL in an NHL Arena? Pleeeze.
Where in my post about attendance did I say ANYTHING about AHL?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Five year's would be the minimum threshold upon which one could reasonably expect to gauge potential long-term. If after 48mnths your still sucking air, Shotgun Clause, notifying the COG they have 6-10mnths to find a new owner at 'X' amount or thats it. The NHL would be perfectly happy in divesting themselves of the Orphaned Franchise and made whole, whomever vetted & now their responsibility; the COG happy as they'd be paying a fair & reasonable market-value Arena Management Fee based on Performance that wont Bankrupt the Municipality, money (through taxes) actually flowing in rather than out; the new owners responsible, "Manning Up" if you will, filling the Calendar, actually doing something with that beautiful facility & the Franchise (issues of location are completely bogus IMHO, always have been).

It can be done, made to work, and if serious, not Rocket Science, easy-peasy actually. All kinds of extremely attractive incentives for major act bookings sitting on the edge of that market (one that is rife with creative promoters & businesses btw), possibly adding smaller "boutique" indoor league activities & events, commercial & consumer trade shows etc... no ones ever made an effort. Easy to write it off if your just plain unimaginative & lazy, perhaps inhibited. Between the establishment itself (Westgate & the theatres), finally an anchor retailer (with more to follow), the AFB nearby with a huge financial injection pending etc etc etc, well, insofar as Im concerned if no one can see the forest for the tree's, eff em. Life goes on. Either you know what your doing and have the confidence & hubris to pull it off or you dont. Impossible, that word shouldnt be included in your dictionary.
I agree with you Killion, but now just wonder how that scenario comes to pass? So far, this franchise has attracted joke wannabe owners, so where do you find that willing owner? Does the NHL have to concede something first for that owner to appear? Basically, what's the major roadblock preventing this type of visionary.owner from appearing?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
cutchemist42

Also, as a related interest, anyone post on the skyscraper forums? If your into the business of development like arenas, you guys might like it.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=643

Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Ari91

I can't keep up with this topic anymore. I thought this was pretty much a done deal and then I hear on TSN that Daly isn't even refuting the possibility of a relocation. Sucks for any fanbase to lose their team but seriously, how long will this circus go on? It'd probably be a lot easier for people to invest their time and money into the team if they had solid ownership and didn't have to worry about relocation talks every damn day. Who wants to get emotionally attached to a team that's always in constant fear of being moved?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I can't keep up with this topic anymore. I thought this was pretty much a done deal and then I hear on TSN that Daly isn't even refuting the possibility of a relocation. Sucks for any fanbase to lose their team but seriously, how long will this circus go on? It'd probably be a lot easier for people to invest their time and money into the team if they had solid ownership and didn't have to worry about relocation talks every damn day. Who wants to get emotionally attached to a team that's always in constant fear of being moved?
The few of us that there are (what? Maybe 10,000 at this point?) are pretty well used to it by now. Anyone who couldn't handle it has already jumped ship, and we aren't getting a whole lot of new eyeballs on the product as a result of this mess, so you are correct there.

02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Dirty Old Man
Later Taters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The few of us that there are (what? Maybe 10,000 at this point?) are pretty well used to it by now. Anyone who couldn't handle it has already jumped ship, and we aren't getting a whole lot of new eyeballs on the product as a result of this mess, so you are correct there.
^this. I was so prepared to lose the team that quite frankly, the lockout didn't bother me in the least. My take on it was, if that was their last season, that was a hell of an exit... now, I'm still a full STH, because despite the 80 mile round trip I can't pass up the asking price for NHL hockey. Year to year, but then again paraphrasing Olberman, we're all year to year...

Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

From the "Scoop" line...

Quote:
Former Glendale city manager takes real-estate job

Former Glendale City Manager Ed Beasley, who worked at the City Council’s direction to help create the city’s signature sports and entertainment district, has taken a position as a government affairs expert with the commercial real-estate services firm Colliers International.

Beasley, 54, was named a vice president of the company’s Government Solutions section in January and will work in the Phoenix office.
Further

Quote:
In his new role, Beasley advises state, county and municipal governments on issues relating to economic development, asset management and public-private opportunities, said Kurt Stout, executive vice president of the Government Solutions section for Colliers.

The scope of services includes lease transactions, property sales, valuations and strategic consulting, said Stout, who is based in Washington, D.C.

“Government entities are increasingly recognizing that their real-estate assets have tremendous potential to generate revenue and spur economic growth,” he said.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...tm_source=t.co

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Old
02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
“It’s a phenomenal opportunity for me to utilize some of the things that I think I’ve become proficient in over the years,” he said.

If proficient means what he has done in Glendale over the last 4 years, I can't imagine what damage he would have caused the city if he was a bungler at his job.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Hal1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Also, as a related interest, anyone post on the skyscraper forums? If your into the business of development like arenas, you guys might like it.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=643
And if you want to know what Quebec City look like, nice thread on this forum

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184116

Old
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Wont work aqib, and you know it. AHL in an NHL Arena? Pleeeze.
Not sure if srs?

TNSE did it for years when they brought the Moose here, NHL calibre facility housing an AHL team as it's primary tenant, look how well that worked out.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
From the "Scoop" line...

Further

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Excellent. There's the "expert" negotiator that Sherwood was looking for.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I agree with you Killion, but now just wonder how that scenario comes to pass? So far, this franchise has attracted joke wannabe owners, so where do you find that willing owner? Does the NHL have to concede something first for that owner to appear? Basically, what's the major roadblock preventing this type of visionary.owner from appearing?
The reason a legitimate owner has not come riding in on his white horse is simple: this deal, even with city subsidies and league profit sharing at their largest, makes zero economic sense. Not sure why people keep attempting to believe you can squeeze blood from this stone? Investors/owners are smart people, it does not take these folks long to realize that $170MM on top of guaranteed losses for the forseeable future is not good business policy. They look out 5-10-20 years and recognize that the liquidity prospects are non-existent. Imagine if it can`t be sold for $170MM what does a $250MM price tag look like for the next sucker?

Old
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

A snap shot of the Government Solutions wing of Colliers if anyone is interested

http://www.colliers.com/en-US/government

Old
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Our View: Coyotes’ endless saga a bad dream from which we can’t wake

"He (Jamison) strung along fans, four City Council members and Glendale businesses with his false promises that he would finalize the sale for the Phoenix Coyotes and sign the lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena in time. He reiterated his promises to The Arizona Republic last Monday. He issued a statement Thursday night saying he failed to meet the deadline, but his “journey to purchase the Coyotes will continue.”

Can we trust him? Can Glendale trust him?"

Source:
http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/we...-we-cant-wake/

Old
02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
XX
One More

Quote:
A snap shot of the Government Solutions wing of Colliers if anyone is interested

http://www.colliers.com/en-US/government
Colliers wants to build a few towers downtown. I'm sure Beasley knows how to grease the wheels to get it done. Not sure what the big deal is here.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
checkerdome

To supplement what has already been posted:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-spo...-elite-company

"...• A good source tells me Winterhawks owner Bill Gallacher is not going to be involved in the purchase of the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes.

...Greg Jamison’s bid to buy the financially troubled and league-owned Coyotes fell through...

Reports surfaced that Gallacher is pursuing ownership of the Coyotes, and I’m told that’s not the case.

However, Gallacher — a Calgary oil magnate — has made it clear in the past he desires ownership of an NHL team and has interest in placing it in Portland. "

Old
02-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1971 View Post
And if you want to know what Quebec City look like, nice thread on this forum...
Stunningly beautiful city, I know, have interests out near Stoneham. Absolute travesty that it ever lost the Diques'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I think I just downloaded a detailed map of the inner workings of the CIA building in Langley. Should I be concerned?
Yes. You most assuredly should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
However, Gallacher — a Calgary oil magnate — has made it clear in the past he desires ownership of an NHL team and has interest in placing it in Portland. "
And Bingo was his name... that right there is a solid story & source. Teams in Portland & Seattle, complimenting Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim & LA, one another.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Glacial

Quote:
From the "Scoop" line...

Further

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

So, Beasley tries to wreck a (municipal) government with an horribly lopsided AMF, then gets into a branch of a real estate company that tries to encourage governments to sell government-owned property for development? Sounds like he's working both ends: plunge a city into crisis by loading it up with debt, then offer to buy land from them to help pay that debt, land which they develop and then flip for a huge profit.

Well, at least if he's in Phoenix he can be easy to catch if indicted for any of his number of crimes (like cooking the books without a culinary degree).

Old
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Sounds like he's working both ends: plunge a city into crisis by loading it up with debt, then offer to buy land from them to help pay that debt, land which they develop and then flip for a huge profit.
Dark waters Glacial. Connect the dots. Love it when a plan comes together.

Closed Thread