HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin "tomahawk"

Old
02-01-2013, 08:39 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Penguin makes a questionable play - scum of the Earth.
Ranger makes a questionable play - a valiant act of heroism.
Oh, you should have been reading their gdt whenthe ugliest of the Staal brothers jumped Malkin. It was the message board version of watching an adult film. I could almost see the box of Kleenex being passed around.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Hemmerfan4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, just ignore the slash, hit, and stick in the face Malkin took leading up to it. For poking at a puck during a play that had yet to be whistled down.
Two wrongs shouldn't make a right but...yeah, I tend to agree, I could see why he would be frustrated and it was no worse than a lot of what he took.

Hemmerfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
don't forget who was aggressor, who caused this crap.
Next time the Rangers player takes a chop at someone's head you can feel free to complain about it.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:41 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Yup, and I'll cry about conspiracies while I'm at it.
I bet it was as blatant a slew foot as Cooke on Richards.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Oh, you should have been reading their gdt whenthe ugliest of the Staal brothers jumped Malkin. It was the message board version of watching an adult film. I could almost see the box of Kleenex being passed around.
I try to not surf there. I just await the inevitable main board thread after the game.

Steve Holt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:43 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Next time the Rangers player takes a chop at someone's head you can feel free to complain about it.
As long as it follows one of our guys getting jumped and hacked, we won't.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Apparently you can. You can slewfoot too, so long as you have the right crest on the front and name on the back. Ask Gaborik about that from last night.
The whole conspiracy theory thing that I hear here about dozens of things, not just this one, are headscratchers. I just do not know whether people genuinely believe them, which is mind boggling to me, or type something that they know sounds ridiculous in the heat of the moment. In any event, when people spout off some conspiracy or other they sound like this woman:

You really do not want to sound like that woman.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Also, this is typical of every thread where there is a Pens player throwing a cheap shot. No one can talk about it, because the thread gets flooded with sarcastic comments from Pens fans. Rather than have a discussion about the play, we get this ridiculous circle of someone posting that the play was dirty and then a bunch of comments mocking everything. I don't get why there can never be a discussion here with Pens fans about dirty acts from their players.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:45 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Also, this is typical of every thread where there is a Pens player throwing a cheap shot. No one can talk about it, because the thread gets flooded with sarcastic comments from Pens fans. Rather than have a discussion about the play, we get this ridiculous circle of someone posting that the play was dirty and then a bunch of comments mocking everything. I don't get why there can never be a discussion here with Pens fans about dirty acts from their players.
Yeah, this only happens with Pens' fans.

They bad.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:45 PM
od71

Quote:
You have nothing to say more.
I wonder what would have you done if someone had kept hitting you during the game.
It's easy to blame sitting in front of computer

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
As long as it follows one of our guys getting jumped and hacked, we won't.
Malkin took punishment found in every hockey game. A couple of slashes and a few hits. He gave it back to Staal, as well. Then he went far and above what should happen in a hockey game. He pulled a similar move as Rangers prospect Christian Thomas did (either last year or the year before) where he got 10 games for it in the OHL. Blatant and purposeful slashes to the head should warrant a suspension every single time no matter the player. I was satisfied with the games that Thomas got for his stick foul but I fully believe he could have gotten more (and I'd of been fine with it). There's simply no place in the game for that.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I try to not surf there. I just await the inevitable main board thread after the game.
They make the Flyers board during a Pens game look like they're organizing a bake sale online

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
You have nothing to say more.
I wonder what would have you done if someone had kept hitting you during the game.
It's easy to blame sitting in front of computer
I played the game for over a decade and I never once slashed someone in the head. And I certainly took punishment every game I played.

Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

While I think Malkin should get a game, I think the real issue the Pens need to worry about is the fact that Rangers player were taking liberties with both Malkin and Crosby last night, and no one stepped in to help.

That team needs a gut transplant. I never thought I'd appreciate Aaron Asham so much.

Quote:
I played the game for over a decade and I never once slashed someone in the head. And I certainly took punishment every game I played.
I took a slash right in the face once. This was before visors. I hit the guy, he got up and slashed me right on the beak. Split the bridge of my nose open. He got two minutes. TWO!

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yeah, this only happens with Pens' fans.

They bad.
I can't think of any other group that takes the mocking to the extreme as seen here. This is a thread where there is an intentional slash to another player's head and there are some who act as if it was nothing and the other player deserved it. I'm sorry, but I simply don't see that elsewhere.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Crindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
I'd normally agree, but because it was such an off balance and awkward swing I think the refs would usually just ignore it as a punch attempt while he was still holding the stick (which happens disturbingly frequently). I'd guess they'd both get 2 minutes. Maybe 2 for slashing 2 for roughing each just to let em cool off more.
Perfect way to describe it. Dumb reaction by Malkin, but describing it as "dangerous" is a huge overreaction. MAYBE worth a fine just to let him know not to try something like that again, but I wouldn't even go that far. Seriously, it's a bop on the head. I won't be shedding any tears for Staal tonight. His play was considerably more likely to cause injury than Malkin's.

Crindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I can't think of any other group that takes the mocking to the extreme as seen here. This is a thread where there is an intentional slash to another player's head and there are some who act as if it was nothing and the other player deserved it. I'm sorry, but I simply don't see that elsewhere.
For every valid thread, there are about ten started every time Crosby picks his nose or breaks wind.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Here is the Thomas play in the OHL. Similar off-balance swing (falling to the ice), similar lack of injury, similar contact to the head. This is how the NHL should be patrolling games rather than letting these plays go lightly punished or unpunished.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Uh... why is Malkin using his stick as a weapon blatantly? I think he should get a suspension considering the fact that he was obviously trying to hit Staal up high, using his stick as a weapon. Most of you will probably call me a homer but I would have this opinion even if it wasn't done against a Ranger.
Staal's looked a bit more incidental than Malkin's but both were ugly.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
While I think Malkin should get a game, I think the real issue the Pens need to worry about is the fact that Rangers player were taking liberties with both Malkin and Crosby last night, and no one stepped in to help.

That team needs a gut transplant. I never thought I'd appreciate Aaron Asham so much.
This is really an issue. Malkin can be a chippy player, in a lot of ways I like that he has an edge even if he crosses the line sometimes. But the Rangers were targetting Malkin and Crosby all night, which to a degree you should, but it crossed the line past the usual run at the star player to get him off his game to where there should have been a response with runs at some of the Ranger star players to give the message that there is a line and do not go over it and . . . nothing. Malkin obviously felt the need to take matters into his own hands and that is not on the Rangers, that is on the Pens who should be embarrased.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
For every valid thread, there are about ten started every time Crosby picks his nose or breaks wind.
So then leave the trolling remarks out of the valid thread and save them for the thread where your team is being unfairly criticized. Not really sure why something like that cannot be done.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

Quote:
That's why I'm not shedding a tear for Staal, or any of the Rangers. Same goes for any team that tries that ****.

Steve Holt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Crindy

Quote:
Blatant and purposeful slashes to the head should warrant a suspension every single time no matter the player.
I agree wholeheartedly. But there was no such "blatant and purposeful slash(es) to the head" delivered by Malkin in that game. What Malkin did was not even in the same stratosphere as what you're describing.

Crindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Human
cynic

the inferiority complex the Rangers fans show when it comes to the Pens and their fans is astonishing.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
od71

Quote:
And that's why Malkin should have let him keep hitting?
Geno is not an angel here, but why nobody says about Staal?

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote