HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin "tomahawk"

Old
02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Far from a Ranger fan but this crosses a line, he should be suspended for 3-5 games in my book.
When an Islanders fan agrees with Rangers fans, hell freezes over.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post

You really just want to bash the Penguins relentlessly do you? What Staal did was a punk move. Malkin was trying to swing at the puck near Lundqvist. Ever played hockey before? It's called PLAYING TO THE WHISTLE. Staal seemed to forget that (as all the Rangers did that night), and thought it appropriate to slash and crosscheck Malkin to the ground. When Malkin fell, his stick came up and hit Staal.

So you see, Malkin escalated nothing. It was all Staal acting like a big baby.

Just come out and say you hate the Penguins, it'd be much easier and you wouldn't look so silly.
I'm not sure if you watched the video closely or not, but I think everyone else in this thread agrees that the slash to the head was intentional. If you're unwilling to accept that, then you're essentially labeling everyone else who views it as intentional a "Penguin hater".

Also, according to your 'logic' Malkin is just as big of a "baby" as Staal. Retaliating by aiming for the head is just as bad as what Staal did.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I love the main board

Not defending the actions of either player. Everyone is tough after the whistle, right? But for anyone to argue that Staal's slash on Malkin's arms is worse than Malkin one handed tomahawking of Staal's head, an area the NHL is trying to "defend," I don't understand where you're coming from, and wish I could.

Not surprised that the league didn't look at this either.

Remember when the NHL just decided to not suspend Malkin for that instigator in the final 5 minutes of a SCF game?

Yeah, not surprised at all.

And then people tell me my hate of the Penguins, Crosby, and Malkin is unwarranted. *sigh*
Yes. Staal is innocent like a child. And we all have to love him till our death

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Are you new to HFBoards? It's okay when other teams' players take cheap shots at Penguins players, but if those Penguins players try to defend themselves, it's cheap and dirty.
When has it ever been OK in hockey to "defend yourself" by slashing at a player's head? When has that ever been remotely OK?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
So fight him , or send England after him.

I'M going to let some of you people in on a little secret that the whole world seems to know but you few. It is NEVER ok to use your stick to the head of another player under any circumstances . There are acceptable ways to defend your self in the NHL. I get he was being hacked but there are better ways to combat that.
If Crosby takes one off the dome I don't wan't to hear any of you defending Malkin complain.
If Crosby slashed and continuously crosschecked a guy to the ground for no reason, and while said player was falling to the ground his stick came up and hit Crosby, then I'd say that was Crosby's fault - much like this incident was Staal's fault.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
If Crosby slashed and continuously crosschecked a guy to the ground for no reason, and while said player was falling to the ground his stick came up and hit Crosby, then I'd say that was Crosby's fault - much like this incident was Staal's fault.
Uh, his stick didn't just "come up and hit him." It was swung at Staal's head and it was swung in a manner meant to hit Staal.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Jaded-Fan

Slightly off topic, but what is it with the Rangers and Pens? I am not sure why the Pens match up so well against you guys the past two or three years, but at this point something is going on that points to it having to be how the systems match up. The Devils have always been like that to the Pens. Even when we had one of the top records in the league and they had a very spotty overall record, they just had our number.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

[mod]

Quote:
Malkin was trying to swing at the puck near Lundqvist. Ever played hockey before? It's called PLAYING TO THE WHISTLE. Staal seemed to forget that (as all the Rangers did that night), and thought it appropriate to slash and crosscheck Malkin to the ground.
I don't think you've ever played hockey. Yes, Malkin played to the whistle. Guess what, so did Staal! He hit the player with the puck. So yes, he did knock Malkin to te ground. It's called a hit!

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 02-01-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Are you new to HFBoards? It's okay when other teams' players take cheap shots at Penguins players, but if those Penguins players try to defend themselves, it's cheap and dirty.
Are you new to HFboards? Just in case you are, many of us in this thread like to actually discuss the plays in question rather than making unguided insults at others.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Slightly off topic, but what is it with the Rangers and Pens? I am not sure why the Pens match up so well against you guys the past two or three years, but at this point something is going on that points to it having to be how the systems match up. The Devils have always been like that to the Pens. Even when we had one of the top records in the league and they had a very spotty overall record, they just had our number.
Same as the Rangers and the Flyers (they finally beat us for once). Some teams just seem to have the other's number. Fleury plays like an all-world player against us for some reason.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Smoke
The Taxman

vCash: 977
Quote:
I love the main board

Not defending the actions of either player. Everyone is tough after the whistle, right? But for anyone to argue that Staal's slash on Malkin's arms is worse than Malkin one handed tomahawking of Staal's head, an area the NHL is trying to "defend," I don't understand where you're coming from, and wish I could.

Remember when the NHL just decided to not suspend Malkin for that instigator in the final 5 minutes of a SCF game?

And then people tell me my hate of the Penguins, Crosby, and Malkin is unwarranted. *sigh*
Star players get preferential treatment?

No way.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
When has it ever been OK in hockey to "defend yourself" by slashing at a player's head? When has that ever been remotely OK?
When has it ever been OK in hockey to go on a lying opponent? When has that ever been remotely OK?

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:32 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
I love the main board

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Yes. Staal is innocent like a child. And we all have to love him till our death
[mod]

I'm not condoning what Staal did, it was a shady move, and a scrum ensued. What I'm saying is what Malkin did with his stick is despicable. It should have at least been reviewed, except the league does what it usually does and just turns a blind eye and hopes everyone forgets (see: Pens/Red Wings SCF 2009).

I can only imagine the tune Penguins fans would be singing if it was Staal swinging at Malkin or God forbid, Crosby.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 02-01-2013 at 09:38 PM.
silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I don't think you've ever played hockey. Yes, Malkin played to the whistle. Guess what, so did Staal! He hit the player with the puck. So yes, he did knock Malkin to te ground. It's called a hit!
And Staal kept crosschecking Malkin after the whistle blew.

Face it, Staal was acting like a baby and started the entire thing. Deal with it and move on.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Same as the Rangers and the Flyers (they finally beat us for once). Some teams just seem to have the other's number. Fleury plays like an all-world player against us for some reason.
Vokoun as well, even when he was with other teams. I believe I heard that his record against you all is pretty good over his career.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
When has it ever been OK in hockey to go on a lying opponent? When has that ever been remotely OK?
It happens game in, game out. I've seen countless scrums where guys go at it even after going to the ice. I can probably count on my hands the amount of times in the past 5 years where a player has purposely swung a stick and connected with another player's head.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Vokoun as well, even when he was with other teams. I believe I heard that his record against you all is pretty good over his career.
Could be. I honestly don't know. I know that the Devils signed Hedberg in part because he was so good against our team. For some reason, average - above average goalies give the Rangers fits. It's been that way as long as I can remember, too. Not just under Torts, but under previous coaches.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:36 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I love the main board

[mod]

First off, it's not an automatic suspension.

Secondly, that rule was put in specifically to prevent goons from turning the last five minutes of a game into a circus. There's a reason why coaches get fined, because because players are deemed to be acting under coach's orders.

If you think Malkin, who led the league in scoring that year was on the ice to start a fight, and not to try and get his team back into a Stanley Cup Final game, I suggest you get a refill.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Affinity

Malkin is a dirty player, who is surprised?

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'll try to use short syllables...

Secondly, that rule was put in specifically to prevent goons from turning the last five minutes of a game into a circus. There's a reason why coaches get fined, because because players are deemed to be acting under coach's orders.

If you think Malkin, who led the league in scoring that year was on the ice to start a fight, and not to try and get his team back into a Stanley Cup Final game, I suggest you get a refill.
I understand your point, but the rule still must be enforced even if it means punishing players that weren't intended to punished (in this case, a superstar rather than a goon). It's a shame that the rules don't directly translate into the game the way the league intends, but that is the reality of the situation.

The delay of game penalty that was meant to prevent players from intentionally shooting the puck from their defensive zone into the crowd for a stoppage, and is similar to the example silverfish mentioned. Players who don't actually intend to clear the puck into the crowd for a stoppage are still punished for it.

Simply put, if a rule is broken then the player should be punished, despite what the rule was intended to prevent.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:45 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I understand your point, but the rule still must be enforced even if it means punishing players that were intended to punished (in this case, a superstar rather than a goon).

The delay of game penalty that was meant to prevent players from intentionally shooting the puck from their defensive zone into the crowd for a stoppage, and is similar to the example silverfish mentioned. Players who don't actually intend to clear the puck into the crowd for a stoppage are still punished for it.

Simply put, if a rule is broken then the player should be punished, despite what the rule was intended to prevent.
Jesus...

Read the part where it's not an automatic suspension.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
[mod]

There was 19 seconds left in the game, it was a defensive zone draw, the Pens were down 3-1.

Malkin threw a tantrum at the end of that game, and deserved a suspension for his actions.

I'll admit to hating the Pens with a passion, that's going to happen in some cases of teams around the league. So perhaps I am biased by saying that someone who ****ing uses his stick as a weapon to tomahawk another player in the head deserves that play to be reviewed by the league. I am a monster with homer glasses.

I'm not a fan of what Staal did either. I hate when everyone grows 2 inches taller and 25lbs heavier after the whistle.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Frankie Spankie

Can't believe it took this long for a topic. I saw it right before heading to work and didn't get a chance to post it. Just plain stupid. But, he won't get a suspension because he's a superstar. Good job NHL.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Jesus...

Read the part where it's not an automatic suspension.
I read your "first part" in regards to the automatic suspension and had no intention on addressing it, as I do not know the rule and you provided no evidence for your claim.

I strictly pointed out the flaw in your second argument. Why not criticize my reasoning or defend your own?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I read your "first part" in regards to the automatic suspension and had no intention on addressing it, as I do not know the rule and you provided no evidence for your claim.

I strictly pointed out the flaw in your second argument. Why not criticize my reasoning or defend your own?
He's right. It's not an automatic suspension. The league reviews the incident, if one occurs, and if they deem it not suspension worthy (ie. If a superstar was involved) then they just forget about it.

I think it's rule 47 something in the rulebook. Logging off in a few minutes so I can't check.