HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's Up With Miller and Ward?

Old
02-03-2013, 02:50 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

vCash: 500
What's Up With Miller and Ward?

After less than stellar years last year, they both seem to be struggling mightily still, despite being known as two of the better goalies in the league for some time. Are they falling off without recovery? Or is the defense in front of them bad?

Just seems weird after them both having a rougher year last year, Ward especially, that it continued into this year where it appears they are getting blasted most nights.

Theodore has never been tops in the league, but he's also having a really bad start to the year, and Bryzgalov is struggling again after a poor showing last year at times.

I knew about Bryz and I don't know if Theodore was in the same discussion as Miller and Ward, but those two kind of stand out.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:51 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I'm not sure about Ward, but Miller's struggles has more to do with the Sabres as a whole. Odd-man rushes and breakaways going his way all game long, it's kind of hard to keep his SV% up that way.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I guess you haven't seen any Sabres games lately, our defense is atrocious. Without Miller, we'd finish last in the East guaranteed.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Danadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
After less than stellar years last year, they both seem to be struggling mightily still, despite being known as two of the better goalies in the league for some time. Are they falling off without recovery? Or is the defense in front of them bad?

Just seems weird after them both having a rougher year last year, Ward especially, that it continued into this year where it appears they are getting blasted most nights.

Theodore has never been tops in the league, but he's also having a really bad start to the year, and Bryzgalov is struggling again after a poor showing last year at times.

I knew about Bryz and I don't know if Theodore was in the same discussion as Miller and Ward, but those two kind of stand out.
Never?

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:54 AM
GoldenJet89

from the sabres games ive seen miller has been a one man army.. he faces so many odd man rushes and point blank chances its rediculous.

frankly i think hes done amazing all things considered. the sabres would be in way worse shape if it wasnt for him

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I think it's the same thing with Ward as well, whenever I see him he plays great but Carolina has been a bad defensive team for awhile. Put Miller or Ward behind a team with a good defense and they would have great stats IMO

Old
02-03-2013, 03:03 AM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Until today's game against the Habs, Miller was at like a .920 save %, which is pretty damn good. After the game it dropped to .910. Just goes to show you that right now the sample size is too small and is being skewed too much by one good or bad result. Miller's been fine.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:12 AM
western redmen

Throw kipper in there too

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:13 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Until today's game against the Habs, Miller was at like a .920 save %, which is pretty damn good. After the game it dropped to .910. Just goes to show you that right now the sample size is too small and is being skewed too much by one good or bad result. Miller's been fine.
Miller played good against Habs I was wondering if he was going to steal a game when Montreal out shot Buffalo 15 to 1 in 1st period. Montreal just kept driving the net and then they were getting the puck behind him. Miller didn't have much support from his team.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:45 AM
DingoAteMyBaby

Miller has always been average.

Nothing new here.

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Exactly. Even the current leader in shots against isn't immune to such wild fluctuations. Dubnyk has 236 saves on 255 shots, .925. If he allows one more goal in the same number of shots then his SV% becomes .922. If you don't count that horrid period against the Sharks he has a .945.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:07 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Ward has always been a little streaky to begin with. This season he didn't play at all during the lockout, so at first he had obvious rust. Since his first two sloppy starts he's had a .904, not up to his standards but not a total train wreck either. Each game seems to be a slight improvement.

Meanwhile the Hurricanes have a small, soft, ineffective defensive group most nights. So it might be a while before his numbers recover, even when his actual play gets back on track.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:28 AM
DickSmehlik

Miller has had only 2 bad starts all season. Buffalo's D is allowing the most shots per game and he doesn't have much help on most nights.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:30 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:03 AM
tsujimoto74

Miller is not struggling. He and Vanek are the only reason the Sabres have any wins at all this season. Our defense is the worst.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Deevo

Nothing wrong with Miller's play thus far. His defence has been wretched.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:07 AM
DickSmehlik

For those of you who don't believe that Buffalo's defense has been bad, they allowed the most shots on goal up until yesterday and still are only 0.1 shot from the lead.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Puckgenius*

Cam ward has never been known as a great reg season performer, but when the playoffs roll around hes probably the best, up there with brodeur, lundqvist, rinne.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:15 AM
jokerboysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Miller is not struggling. He and Vanek are the only reason the Sabres have any wins at all this season. Our defense is the worst.
Agreed,
what has happend to Myers... I had big expectations fo rhim after his rookie season.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmplate View Post

Nothing new here.
Spoken like a true boxscore watcher

Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
BruinsBtn

Against the Bruins, Ward was a mess.

He kept trying to stack the pads.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Ace36758

Bad teams. End.

Ace36758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:42 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Thanks guys. And no I haven't had a chance to see either team really. That's why I was wondering, I wasn't wanting to just go off game score. I realize the goalie isn't always at fault, I'm a DiPietro fan so any game he starts most Isles fans give him no slack. I realize the goalie isn't always entirely at fault.

And my apologies missing Theodore's top years lol, I guess I was thinking more recently he wouldn't be with Miller and Ward in terms of expectations?

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmplate View Post

Nothing new here.

Miller looks great, the team sucks.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I don't know where the statement about Bryzgalov came from. He's been great for the Flyers. He's probably been our best player. Read has been great as well.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote