HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Lame Summer Brews

Old
06-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
I finally got around to visiting The Commons and Breakside Brewing. Both were outstanding and are worth a visit if in Portland. I also visited the Pelican again recently. It is as good as I remembered. Their cream ale is to die for.

Today I am headed to the fruit beer festival to drink away my sorrow. Thanks for making me drink, Penguins.

http://www.portlandfruitbeerfest.com/

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Drank the Rochefort 10 during game 4. It was the only great thing about that night. Love quads and this one definitely doesn't disappoint.

Having the Three Philosophers right now. Another outstanding beer, the touch of tart cherries added makes for a nice balance to the quad's alcohol and sweetness, not overpowering. Really like this.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 06-09-2013 at 10:29 PM.
HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:43 PM
NeutralityEleven

vCash: 833
Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
Hey guys and gals,

I'm traveling into Pittsburgh next weekend and will be staying at the Omni downtown. I've heard great things about the hotel, and outside of making the walk down 6th street to a Bucco's game, I'm not sure what else is close and within walking distance.

Any recommendations for adult beverages, I know I'm close to the Market Square (Primanti's and the like) but I'm not sure what off the OP is there.

Any locals have suggestions?

Much appreciated to anyone who contributes!

NeutralityEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:59 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm traveling into Pittsburgh next weekend and will be staying at the Omni downtown. I've heard great things about the hotel, and outside of making the walk down 6th street to a Bucco's game, I'm not sure what else is close and within walking distance.

Any recommendations for adult beverages, I know I'm close to the Market Square (Primanti's and the like) but I'm not sure what off the OP is there.

I'd hit up Sharp Edge on Penn Ave just a couple blocks away, one of the better selections downtown.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:59 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm not a fan of the nightlife downtown, but bathroomStaal's suggestion above is pretty spot on. In addition to The Sharp Edge, The Beer Market which is a bar about 10 feet from the stadium has a pretty good selection as well.

There are about a million other places I'd suggest going to, but if you're only going to be in for the weekend and regulated to downtown, both of those are ok.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:46 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Drinking La Guillotine now.

Very fruity (light fruits), picking up lots of crisp green apple and pears in this, green grapes, and some citrus pops as well. Sweet up front, bitterness on the finish. Very nice and drinkable, especially now in the warmer months, the 8.5% alcohol will sneak up on you.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Grimes

Hey guys, I will be escaping the AZ heat in late September and am going to be in Pittsburgh from Thursday-Sunday. I really wanna explore and not just stick in downtown. Right now I have my plane tickets and nothing else. Suggestions on neighborhoods to visit/stay in, hotels, bars, restaurants, things I need to see/experience out there would be so unbelievably helpful. I'll claw my through this thread as well. Good chance I will rent a car too.

Thanks in advanced.

Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Hey guys, I will be escaping the AZ heat in late September and am going to be in Pittsburgh from Thursday-Sunday. I really wanna explore and not just stick in downtown. Right now I have my plane tickets and nothing else. Suggestions on neighborhoods to visit/stay in, hotels, bars, restaurants, things I need to see/experience out there would be so unbelievably helpful. I'll claw my through this thread as well. Good chance I will rent a car too.

Thanks in advanced.
You have any particular preferences / tastes when it comes to food / beer / etc?

Old
06-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
drinking Anchor's Summer beer. not that impressed. i guess it's your quintessential summer beer: crisp with hints of citrus and wheat. it almost more of a pilsner than a wheat beer. guess i'll just have to wait for the Christmas brew (those are always money).

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Grimes

Quote:
You have any particular preferences / tastes when it comes to food / beer / etc?
For food, anything. Local staples, up and comers. We are pretty adventurous so really anything. Doesnt matter if it is dirt cheap or prcey as long as it taste good.

As for drinks, I am pretty into craft beer, but also appreciate a nice cocktail as well. Not so much into wine. Beer bars are usually fairly easy to find, its the neighborhood favorites and hole in the walls that ar tough to search for.

Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 02:20 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
drinking Anchor's Summer beer. not that impressed. i guess it's your quintessential summer beer: crisp with hints of citrus and wheat. it almost more of a pilsner than a wheat beer. guess i'll just have to wait for the Christmas brew (those are always money).

Was watching the extras from Drinking Made Easy season 2 last night, they were talking with the long-time Anchor owner and sampling their beer. He referred to their Summer beer as their lawnmower beer, laughing.
This is a clip of it from the show, but the extras had the full 40 minute interview, pretty interesting.

I'm really not a huge Summer beer guy, much prefer Fall seasonals...which will probably be out in a week or two .

Old
06-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post

get yourself some of this.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
I picked up a case of Tröegs Sunshine Pils that was bottled last year for $10. Going to try it out later this afternoon. I don't have high hopes considering the age, but for how cheap it was I couldn't pass it up.

I usually try one type of summer beer a year, last year I tried Victory's Summer Love and was pleasantly surprised with it.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Candyman

I just turned 21 and I'm looking to try some dark beers any suggestions?

Already tried Guiness and wasn't overly impressed, though it wasn't awful.

I also tried Sam Adams Cherry and Wheat and was not really a fan.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post

What beer do you like? The 3 beers you listed are all totally different.

I'd try Left Hand Milk Stout if you want something similar to Guinness (but better IMO). Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is also delicious.

edit: If you literally just turned 21 then I guess just start trying different beers to find out what you like and go from there. Some really solid breweries IMO are:

Dogfish Head
Southern Tier
Stone
Left Hand
Bells
Founders
Great Lakes (some are good, some eh)
Rodue
Anchor

Those are a few to start and are all American breweries. I love Belgian beers as well but don't want to list a ton. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Welcome to the world of beer.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
What beer do you like? The 3 beers you listed are all totally different.

I'd try Left Hand Milk Stout if you want something similar to Guinness (but better IMO). Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is also delicious.
Honestly I haven't really found one that has wowed me yet, so I'm willing to try just about anything.

I can say I don't like bud light (though Budweiser Black crown was really good), coors light etc.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Honestly I haven't really found one that has wowed me yet, so I'm willing to try just about anything.

I can say I don't like bud light (though Budweiser Black crown was really good), coors light etc.
I'd say start off with a real American Lager and then work your way to more bold flavors. Going from a Bud Light to a Dogfish 90min IPA for example is a big jump if you've never had an IPA.

I would recommend Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:

Founder's Porter is one of my favorite dark beers. So is Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout from Elysian Brewing Company. And Rouge's Chocolate Stout.

If you're just beginning with craft beer, I'd say try getting a variety pack from a brewery like Dundee or something. Their beer isn't anything really special but it's not bad. It's a good way to get started, see what you like and build from there.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:

I'm very fond of Hofbrau's Dunkel. It'll be very different from a stout or a porter though. Smuttynose's Old Brown Dog Ale is another good one (and Smuttynose is a great name for a brewery). I'd also suggest you give Duck-Rabbit a try. They make a few quality dark beers.

Superstar Shane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:05 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Grabbed a bunch of beer today. Among my usual favourites were a few new findings to try like Boddington's Pub Ale and for an interesting twist...a few ciders like Strongbow and Foundry Golden Cider.

Drank both cans of cider already. I think I prefer Foundry Golden Cider over the Strongbow but the Strongbow was alright. I don't think I'd drink hard ciders often since they're sweet, but every now and then now that I know I like those two...why not?

Also I finally grabbed a six-pack of Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA to try. Speaking of IPA's I was excited to scoop up more Southern Tier IPA. I love that stuff.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

So I had the Boddington's Pub Ale yesterday and wasn't impressed at all. It was almost flavour-less be honest.

On the bright side, Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA is even more delicious that I thought it would be. I think it is now fast becoming my favourite IPA besides Southern Tier.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:31 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Well after now drinking 3 out of my 4 cans of Boddington's Pub Ale I bought the other day, I must admit that the taste has grown on me a bit. With that said, the last two I've had I've just said screw it and drank them out of the nitro-can. I still probably will never buy it again. But for now, hey it'll do the job.

And in other beer news, that new Guinness Black Lager is crap. Since I love Guinness I bit the bullet and bought a six-pack of it last night. It tastes like extremely extremely watered down yet overly carbonated Guinness Draught. I'll drink the rest of it I have, but yeah it's an embarrassment to the Guinness name IMO.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Pghkev
Soixante-six

Quote:

I got two for you:
Left Hand Milk Stout & Samuel Smiths organic double chocolate stout

Pghkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'm starting to like a lot of Weyerbacher's stuff. Except their barleywine, which was gross, but I've heard people suggest letting it age a year or so. I even really like their Merry Monks Tripel, I think that might be the beer that finally really gets me into the Belgian stuff.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:57 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Drank this bad boy with the girlfriend over the 4th of July weekend. Amazing amazing amazing!

By the way Grimes, I'll definitely get back to you regarding your Pittsburgh inquiry. I'll put a nice suggestion sheet together with detailed descriptions.