HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Lame Pumpkin Brews

Old
10-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Anyone been to Vintage Estates in Boardman Ohio for a beer shopping trip?
A road trip seems like a good idea

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM
nhindian

vCash: 500
I have a pumpkin beer I homebrewed sitting on oak cubes that I soaked in Bacardi Oakheart. Should hopefully be done by Thanksgiving

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
during my once a year trip to the northwest i get to enjoy these. a fine brown ale...
Yeah, and they're pretty rarely available around here

Oh well, that'll teach me to hoard. Probably half of the beers lost were skunked already...I've been drinking a lot less beer since I moved here. I'm a dark beer guy and those just aren't that appealing in constant 95 degree heat.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 07:59 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
richard christy likes pumpkin beer.
Especially up the backside...

Quote:
Worth the trip, cheaper and some stuff that's not available in PA. I've made the trip 3-4 times in the past couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I don't 'get' this pumpkin beer explosion at all, but they are everywhere.
It's exactly the same as every thing in our world that becomes popular and then gets every dollar sucked out of it.

I'm not a huge fan of the style but I can drink Pumkings all day, it's just awesome. Actually Smuttynose's is pretty good as well, more along the lines of Dogfish's take which is more natural.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.
WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 08:13 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Worth the trip, cheaper and some stuff that's not available in PA. I've made the trip 3-4 times in the past couple of years.
Awesome. Nice and close.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 09:01 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I have a pumpkin beer I homebrewed sitting on oak cubes that I soaked in Bacardi Oakheart. Should hopefully be done by Thanksgiving
That sounds delicious.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Chrissernnn

I'm in New York in march and I was thinking about going to Pittsburgh as well for the game vs the flyers..but are there no direct flights between NY and Pittsburgh? I've tried looking it up, but all I can find are connected flights..thanks in advance

Chrissernnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissernnn View Post
I'm in New York in march and I was thinking about going to Pittsburgh as well for the game vs the flyers..but are there no direct flights between NY and Pittsburgh? I've tried looking it up, but all I can find are connected flights..thanks in advance
Looked that up for an eventual trip my self and noticed all the connecting flights as well. I might as well make the 10 hour drive

Hoping for a trip next season, can't wait

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
LeTANGled58

In terms of playoff tickets, when the season is about a month from ending they contact the STH to let them get first priority for tickets. Once that process is complete they will release the playoff tickets to general public. This usually doesn't happen until the season is over.

Your best bet for getting tickets is to go to penguins ticket exchange website, or one of our national sellers like ticketmaster, or stubhub. I assume you can purchase tickets from these sites from Sweden, but not 100% sure.

There are always tickets somewhere online for the playoffs, the only thing that could stop you would be your own financial restrictions as they can get a little pricey.

Make sure you plan to take in some of the local culture around the city too!

LeTANGled58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:54 AM
UnrealMachine

Just stick to your prime directives and you'll be fine:

1. Serve the public trust
2. Protect the innocent
3. Uphold the law
4. file_not_found?!?

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Delta definitely has direct flights between Pittsburgh & LaGuardia. One other airline does too but I can't remember if it's US Airways or Southwest and I'm pretty sure American flies directly to JFK from Pittsburgh. You can also get a direct flight from Newark to Pittsburgh on just about any airline. Just grab a train or cab from NYC to the airport.

As far as tickets go they're almost always available on the secondary market, even for playoffs. If you use the Pens ticket exchange or Stubhub you'll almost definitely be able to get them but you'll pay more than you would buying them directly from Ticketmaster (especially for the playoffs), so if you have the option to do so I'd sit in front of a computer and start trying the minute they go on sale.

The good news is aftermarket ticket prices have started to fall over the last few years as fans have gotten more and more spoiled, so you probably won't get gouged much at all for regular season and even for the first round or two of the playoffs. If they make it beyond that you'll probably get raked pretty bad. It depends on the opponent also. Chances are tickets vs. the Stars will be easy to get and you may even get them for face value or slightly above, whereas the Flyers will be a little tougher to get (although certainly not impossible) and you'll probably pay a bit of a premium for them. There are always scalpers outside the arena too and if you wait until the game is about to start you can probably get a pretty good deal, but considering how far you're coming to see the game I wouldn't rely on that method.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Chrissernnn

One more quick question, how is the view from the different sections in the arena to the ice? How is the view from section 204 compared to 104, for instance?

Old
10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

There really isn't a bad seat at Consol, it just depends on your preference. I like sitting higher up (which is fortunate because lower bowl is $$$) but I have been to just about every game at CEC since the Pens started playing there and I have never heard anyone complain about their seats regardless of where they sit in the building.

If it helps for reference here's a picture from my seats. I'm in 217 about halfway up the section.

* Fun fact - that pic is of the first regular season faceoff taken at CEC.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Chrissernnn

Thanks for the help I think I'll go for the upper bowl then!

Old
10-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Any truth to this?:

Sam Adams *****es. Makes me feel proud my state didn't choose a swill beer.

I had a new beer last weekend from a brewery in Cooperstown NY called 3 Philosophers. Very malty / not strong on the hops, sort of a trippel style beer (I guess this brewery only does Belgian style beers). Was a tad sweet but generally very good. If you have a sit-down meal somewhere with fine food, it's a great match. Doesn't overwhelm taste of the food, instead compliments it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Shady Machine

Fat Head's just announced they are opening a brewpub in Portland, OR next year. They also won 1 gold and 2 silver medals at the Great American Beer Festival this year. Pretty cool stuff.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Starkofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post

I had a new beer last weekend from a brewery in Cooperstown NY called 3 Philosophers. Very malty / not strong on the hops, sort of a trippel style beer (I guess this brewery only does Belgian style beers). Was a tad sweet but generally very good. If you have a sit-down meal somewhere with fine food, it's a great match. Doesn't overwhelm taste of the food, instead compliments it.
If it is Three Philosophers by Ommegang then its a Belgian Quad brewed with cherries. It kind of melds a kriek flavor with a traditional quad. Its pretty good stuff.

Starkofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post

Sam Adams is pretty mediocre imo. Yuengling is better. Go PA

how anyone can answer Blue Moon is beyond me. The only time I ever chose to drink Blue Moon was when it was on special at Hemmingway's in Oakland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Fat Head's just announced they are opening a brewpub in Portland, OR next year. They also won 1 gold and 2 silver medals at the Great American Beer Festival this year. Pretty cool stuff.
I freaking love Fat Heads. Best food in southside by a mile too. Fat Heads, Hofbrau and Archies are the only bars in southside that need to exist.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Robocop

I thought it was impossible to get tickets for the playoffs, so I have alreadey booked two tickets for the Flyers game, expensive..... Playoffs another time! Thanks for answers anyway!

Do you have any tips for what to do when it´s not hockey?
Can I go to PNC park and Heinz field even though it´s offseason?

How about the night life?

Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
JimsDoors

Quote:
I've never been there cause of the stories a few friends told me about the owner and his giant ego. Acts as if it's YOUR pleasure to be in his store etc...

If you're just going to buy beer and take it home, I suggest a place about 10mins away from VE and probably closer for those taking the turnpike.

http://chaletpremier.com/index.html

It's less than a 1/2 mile off the Ohio Turnpike (route 76) Not sure the Exit number but it would be "Route 7 North Exit" Soon as you get off the exit you drive less than a half mile and it's on your left. They have a huge selection of craft beers and wine. Their selection may be not as extensive but been told it's very comparable to VE. Plus if they don't have what you want, VE isn't to far away from there.

Very nice people from my many experiences there.

Last edited by JimsDoors: 10-26-2013 at 10:54 AM.
JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
I've never been there cause of the stories a few friends told me about the owner and his giant ego. Acts as if it's YOUR pleasure to be in his store etc...

If you're just going to buy beer and take it home, I suggest a place about 10mins away from VE and probably closer for those taking the turnpike.

http://chaletpremier.com/index.html

It's less than a 1/2 mile off the Ohio Turnpike (route 76) Not sure the Exit number but it would be "Route 7 South Exit" Soon as you get off the exit you drive less than a half mile and it's on your left. They have a huge selection of craft beers and wine. Their selection may be not as extensive but been told it's very comparable to VE. Plus if they don't have what you want, VE isn't to far away from there.

Very nice people from my many experiences there.
Thanks Jim for the tip.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:57 AM
JimsDoors

Had the wrong directions in my post above. I changed it as it should read "Route 7 North"

Had Victory's "Dirt Wolf" last night. Very tasty and would definitely buy again.

Old
10-26-2013, 10:58 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Bought a 4-pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout last night. Sounds pretty intense, I hope I can handle it.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Picked up some Mad Elf , my god is it amazing. This stuff is 11% ABV? Damn I'm going to get in trouble.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:03 PM
JimsDoors

Bought this for tonight's game. Can't wait to try it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789