HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

rule change that would drastically increase scoring(not goalie pads or net sizes)

View Poll Results: would you be interested in this rule change
yes 7 15.91%
no 30 68.18%
i would like to see it tested in the offseason first 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
startainfection

vCash: 500
rule change that would drastically increase scoring(not goalie pads or net sizes)

don't allow teams to change players when they take a penalty just like how players can't change after an icing call

think about all the times that teams take penalties because they are tired, and now imagine the remaining 4 players having to start on the penalty kill, this would make it so teams may have to start with 3 forwards on a penalty kill or maybe a defensive liability or some teams purely offensive players that have never played on the PK before in their career

would you be in support of this rule change?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Micklebot

I'd rather see something that affects Even Strength play.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
startainfection

so how about not letting players change after committing an offsides?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
so how about not letting players change after committing an offsides?
I'd be fine with that.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
jbeck5

Here are a bunch i'm throwing out that i don't neccesarily even think they'd be good, but i'm throwing them out there for ***** and giggles.

1)A shot clock like basketball. I'm not precisely sure how to go about it...but forcing the team to shoot on net instead of endlessly cycling. The problem with this, is i don't know how to go about it. If the team doesn't get a shot off, do they have a whistle and faceoff in the other teams end? That slows the game down. Do they get a penalty? Doesn't seem fair. Or maybe if they don't get a shot on net within 30 seconds, they have to clear the zone like a delayed offside? I dunno...probably not a good idea, but who knows.

2)No offsides. I see almost every game the play comes out of the zone and there is a turnover with an offensive player stuck in the zone. With no offsides you can feed it to him for the breakaway instead of waiting for him to get out and giving the D a chance to settle before going in on offense. When the D goes to reach the redline to dump it, the forwards won't have to stall at the blueline...they can easily be first on the puck. And at the very least, it pulls the D back to cover the "cherry pickers" opening gaps in the neutral zone allowing for easier access for the D to walk in or to pass to a guy...basically eliminating the ability to trap.

3) Make goalie sticks the same thickness as player sticks=more fivehole goals without sacrificing the safety of the goalies

4) Penalties are the full 2 minutes even if scored on...like they used to be...like the 5 minute penalties are.

5)Make OT 5 min 4 on 4 then 5 min 3 on 3 before shootout...since OT goals count on personal stat sheets,and you'll have less shootouts, technically players will score more...and you'll come out of the game feeling there was more offensive chances with 3 on 3.

6)Slightly reduce goalie equipment size. Don't harm the goalies safety, but harm his ability to cover the whole net. Basically google brodeur/tugnutt...then google giguere/snow...we want to restrict goalies to brodeur/tugnutt sized pads. The shoulder pads pop out way too much. And the fivehole is covered by the pads coming up 5 inches past the knee. Shorten the pads, and protect the knees with a pad that bends with the knee,not allowing the pads to extend past and block the fivehole.

7)Shorten the allowed stick length. Not by too much. You want to eliminate the monster reach by some of these stay at home defenseman. Smaller sticks make it easier to stickhandle, but harder to reach. There is one downside. Longer sticks give more leverage for heavier slapshots. However, overall, shorter sticks should help offense out,rather then help defense out.

That's all i got now. All of which seem better to me then making the nets bigger.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Here are a bunch i'm throwing out that i don't neccesarily even think they'd be good, but i'm throwing them out there for ***** and giggles.

1)A shot clock like basketball. I'm not precisely sure how to go about it...but forcing the team to shoot on net instead of endlessly cycling. The problem with this, is i don't know how to go about it. If the team doesn't get a shot off, do they have a whistle and faceoff in the other teams end? That slows the game down. Do they get a penalty? Doesn't seem fair. Or maybe if they don't get a shot on net within 30 seconds, they have to clear the zone like a delayed offside? I dunno...probably not a good idea, but who knows.

2)No offsides. I see almost every game the play comes out of the zone and there is a turnover with an offensive player stuck in the zone. With no offsides you can feed it to him for the breakaway instead of waiting for him to get out and giving the D a chance to settle before going in on offense. When the D goes to reach the redline to dump it, the forwards won't have to stall at the blueline...they can easily be first on the puck. And at the very least, it pulls the D back to cover the "cherry pickers" opening gaps in the neutral zone allowing for easier access for the D to walk in or to pass to a guy...basically eliminating the ability to trap.

3) Make goalie sticks the same thickness as player sticks=more fivehole goals without sacrificing the safety of the goalies

4) Penalties are the full 2 minutes even if scored on...like they used to be...like the 5 minute penalties are.

5)Make OT 5 min 4 on 4 then 5 min 3 on 3 before shootout...since OT goals count on personal stat sheets,and you'll have less shootouts, technically players will score more...and you'll come out of the game feeling there was more offensive chances with 3 on 3.

6)Slightly reduce goalie equipment size. Don't harm the goalies safety, but harm his ability to cover the whole net. Basically google brodeur/tugnutt...then google giguere/snow...we want to restrict goalies to brodeur/tugnutt sized pads. The shoulder pads pop out way too much. And the fivehole is covered by the pads coming up 5 inches past the knee. Shorten the pads, and protect the knees with a pad that bends with the knee,not allowing the pads to extend past and block the fivehole.

7)Shorten the allowed stick length. Not by too much. You want to eliminate the monster reach by some of these stay at home defenseman. Smaller sticks make it easier to stickhandle, but harder to reach. There is one downside. Longer sticks give more leverage for heavier slapshots. However, overall, shorter sticks should help offense out,rather then help defense out.

That's all i got now. All of which seem better to me then making the nets bigger.
well 5 dosnt increase scoring because it only affects OT and a team is going to get a goal some how,

i think that the proposal i just made and also requiring players to keep at least 1 skate blade on the ice while blocking shots would be the most effective thing that the league could do to increase scoring

Old
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
well 5 dosnt increase scoring because it only affects OT and a team is going to get a goal some how,

i think that the proposal i just made and also requiring players to keep at least 1 skate blade on the ice while blocking shots would be the most effective thing that the league could do to increase scoring
5 Doesn't increase team scoring, but it increase individual player scoring.

I disagree. Personally i think no offsides would be more effective. That being said, it would be too drastic of a change in most people's eyes to actually be put in place IMO. Or would it? They did get rid of 2 line passes, and are thinking about changing icing...both fundamental parts of the game the last few decades. You never know. But there's no doubt in my mind no offsides would increase scoring compared to your suggestions.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Keep offsides, but once an offensive player enters the zone, the red line becomes the new offsides line.

Goalies can't leave the net to play the puck. Or they can, but they're fair game to get hit.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:14 PM
jbeck5

The more i think about it, offsides, whether in soccer or in hockey(i know they're different) are both there to help/give advantage to the defensive team. They are there to prevent the offensive team from "cheating" offensively. Well, i say, is it maybe the time that we stop aiding the defensive team and let the offensive team cheat? if no, why not? Simply because we grew up playing with offsides?

This rule wouldn't harm the safety of any player, or the integrity of the game...yet would provide quicker strike offense, and thats pretty obvious too.

Plus i know a quarter of you play NHL13 with not offsides because they slow the game down. (i keep offsides to stay realistic personally lol)

Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

How about we just get rid of goalies altogether? Would that increase scoring enough?

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
The more i think about it, offsides, whether in soccer or in hockey(i know they're different) are both there to help/give advantage to the defensive team. They are there to prevent the offensive team from "cheating" offensively. Well, i say, is it maybe the time that we stop aiding the defensive team and let the offensive team cheat? if no, why not? Simply because we grew up playing with offsides?

This rule wouldn't harm the safety of any player, or the integrity of the game...yet would provide quicker strike offense, and thats pretty obvious too.

Plus i know a quarter of you play NHL13 with not offsides because they slow the game down. (i keep offsides to stay realistic personally lol)
Defensemen would just stay back and guard the forward furthest up the ice. You would basically have four guys playing normal hockey and then a defenceman making sure no one got behind him.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
How about we just get rid of goalies altogether? Would that increase scoring enough?
Yeah, i'm not a big fan of rules that simply make shots that wouldn't go in, go in. Like bigger nets. Yeah, put soccer nets in and we can have 45-34 games.

However i don't mind rules that allow for more offensive flow, or more scoring chances.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Defensemen would just stay back and guard the forward furthest up the ice. You would basically have four guys playing normal hockey and then a defenceman making sure no one got behind him.
Exactly. Which would open up the ice making it easier to get into and settle in the offensive end. There would be a mix of zone defense and man defense...makes it interesting. And occasionally the defense would let the forward slip behind him leading to more breakaways and odd man rushes.

It's not like guys would be standing in the offensive zone when the puck is in his defensive zone. We still have coaches. They would still want a 2-way game from their players...it's just when you have a rush going up ice, you wouldn't have to slow down at the blueline to make sure you don't go offside. There would be no more straddling the blueline killing your momentum to the net. And if the puck happens to slip out, you would have to back up, wait for your team to clear the zone, giving the defensive team time to settle and perfect their strategy.

Plus there would be less whistles meaning we don't have to see linesman fake drop the puck, then kick someone out for flinching causing more delays.

Last edited by jbeck5: 02-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
startainfection

Old
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
No. I don't think your rules would make much of a difference. Just like i don't think no changes on icings have made much of a difference. Maybe a goal or 2 here and there during a season because someone is tired, however they don't really increase offense at all in most cases.

And i don't know about your team, but 99% of my teams blocks are not a player lying on the ice like a beached whale.

i would roughly estimate that my teams blocks can be divided like this.

50% are accidental
35% are done purposely, but still while standing and facing the shooter
14% are done purposely, but drop to 1 knee.
1% are when a player dives and slides around on his stomach. Maybe 2%.

So i don't think it would have much of an effect to add much offense to the average hockey game.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Awful idea, giving refs more of a chance to impact a game is a joke.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:41 PM
startainfection

Quote:
No. I don't think your rules would make much of a difference. Just like i don't think no changes on icings have made much of a difference. Maybe a goal or 2 here and there during a season because someone is tired, however they don't really increase offense at all in most cases.
you don't think that a team being forced to start a penalty with 3 forwards and offensive dman or 2 wingers and 2 dmen would increase scoring? if this rule change was to go in to effect i think that the average pp% would go up by at least 10 percent and if it wouldn't increase scoring by a lot why are you against it?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
you don't think that a team being forced to start a penalty with 3 forwards and offensive dman or 2 wingers and 2 dmen would increase scoring? if this rule change was to go in to effect i think that the average pp% would go up by at least 10 percent and if it wouldn't increase scoring by a lot why are you against it?
I'm not against it. It would increase scoring. But not by as much as you think it would. Or atleast in my opinion. Right now the best PP is running at 34.8%. I highly,highly,highly doubt it would be anywhere near 44.8% with your rule implemented.

I would be 100% up for implementing that rule.
And would be 100% against implementing the shot block rule. If you get pushed to the ground and accidentally block a shot, you get penalized? And then if its up to the refs judgement, then its a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
startainfection

another proposal, make it so the second period is short change and the 1st and 3rd are long change?

Old
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Somewhat relevant. The NHL should also take away the ability of the team that is killing the penalty to ice the puck without consequence.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:06 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
Somewhat relevant. The NHL should also take away the ability of the team that is killing the penalty to ice the puck without consequence.
i have thought about this also but i think they should at least be able to ice it from their defensive blue line and the are a lot more willing to blow icings off if players aren't in full stride while chasing the puck

Old
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
ryanwb

Make the puck smaller

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:53 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Make the puck smaller
Not a bad idea for recreational hockey.

However people already complain about not being able to follow the puck. HD helps. But smaller puck would make it harder.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:43 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I was looking for this. Glad to not be disappointed.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote