HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would Luongo's new attitude help him in the playoffs?

Old
02-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Dontdive

vCash: 500
Would Luongo's new attitude help him in the playoffs?

This isn't just on the Canucks board for a reason. I want to hear what the general populace here - which is probably more negative towards Roberto Luongo's than Canuck fans (at least now) - thinks of how he would do in the playoffs, now that he's taking things less seriously, even joking about his situation on twitter and so on.

After all, true or not, a lot of posters here think Luongo, when it comes right down to it, is a choker who is too likely to give in a bad goal or even get blown out when it comes to the big games.

He's certainly played a lot more games early on in the regular season now and has much better stats than most would have expected. He also seems a lot more relaxed on the ice and in interviews. But would that translate over to how he performs in the playoffs?

And if it would translate over, does that mean his trade value has gone up considerably?

Basically, if you're a HF Boards poster who has been negative about him before his recent run - are you still?

Dontdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:06 PM
P U L L H A R D

His trade value has probably never changed to the people who matter - NHL GMs. It will only be us, the people who swing back and forth like a pendulum after every game, who thinks anything has changed in this situation.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

A joking goalie is usually the best kind in the playoffs.

See Bryzgalov.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Frank Drebin

I'd honestly be happy for him if he played well and won. Nucks fans think I hate him, but I just call poor performances what they are.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
For him yes, he has too much pressure, and it seems to work.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:04 PM
serge2k

well maybe people won't freak out over every comment he makes now that they know a bit more about his personality.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
well maybe people won't freak out over every comment he makes now that they know a bit more about his personality.
THIS! My dear god this!

I wonder now that people know his personality if they see any of his past comments differently?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Zanon

What would help Luongo in the playoffs is some freaking offense. The Canucks will be the highest scoring team in the regular season and then just completely dry up in the playoffs.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:53 PM
lampshade*

Loungo is fine in the playoffs as hoisin the reg season. If the sedins chose to show up it would help also hodgson would be a excellent playoff performer.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:56 PM
vector209

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Loungo is fine in the playoffs as hoisin the reg season. If the sedins chose to show up it would help also hodgson would be a excellent playoff performer.
I'm trying to decipher and understand this incoherent mess, but I'm still having trouble.

vector209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:02 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
I'm trying to decipher and understand this incoherent mess, but I'm still having trouble.
Loungo is fine in the playoffs as shown in the reg season.

If the sedins chose to show up it would help.

Also hodgson would be a excellent playoff performer.

No need to thank me

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:06 AM
StringerBell

I think hoisin is "he is in" actually, but who the **** knows.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:20 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Maybe it would help, maybe it wouldn't. Either way you can't see into his head and you can't predict how he will play.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Smokey McCanucks

Luongo's always been pretty good in the playoffs if you ask me, the games where he's struggled have always been games where his team is basically beaten already, physically and injury-wise they've been hobbled and on their last legs. If Luongo wasn't able to single-handedly hold those teams in those games, it wasn't all on him or shouldn't have been, his reputation is more a thing some fanbases like to hold over his team than anything that's real or legitimate. I don't think any goalie could have taken those teams further than Luongo did. If he ends up having more success, it'll be because there's a team in front of him that can give him the support he needs to do the job, not because of any supposed different attitude.

Seems like his teammates and other players are saying "oh, yeah that's Lui" where the media are saying, "where did this guy come from?" So to me, that indicates that the media built this myth that's wrong, and the direct contact with Luongo via twitter and him no longer giving so much of a damn with the media is just revealing the guy that people who know him have known all along.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:49 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

Moar Luongo threads on the main board!! MOAR!!

Lu's new media personality might keep the jackals from constantly trying to paint him as the arrogant, egotistical jerk. As a byproduct, we might have fewer people swarming to jump on the "I HATE LUONGO!!!" bandwagon as it's being presented by the same media brain trust who sold them on the whole "Tim Thomas as the nice, likable, average guy" thing.

**requisite reminder to everyone to actually look at Luongo's total playoff stats before picking the few poor outliers**

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
A joking goalie is usually the best kind in the playoffs.

See Bryzgalov.
Bryz is often unintentionally funny.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Foot

After reading his twitter I actually hope he does well now. Seems like a nice guy. And this is coming from a well-known Canucks hater/troll.

Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:57 AM
DingoAteMyBaby

Real question is. Will the team in front of Luongo finally come to play in the playoffs?

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:27 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Pretty sure his attitude was never an issue?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Regal

It's funny that this "new attitude" gets so much press with the whole trade situation but he was like this all last season. I actually was hopeful it would help him last playoffs, but unfortunately the team decided not to show up in front of him and they switched to Schneider. I still think it would help him recover from goals/bad games, which would help, although the fact that, since about Nov/Dec last season his form has been better than it has been in years, would probably be the biggest factor. Who knows where he'll be at the end of the year, but if he's still with the Canucks and gets the starter's role, I think he'll do well. I'd be more concerned about the team in front of him.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Kip96

Schneider has a great attitude and it didn't help him last spring

Canucks don't score enough goals in the playoffs and Luongo usually gets all the blame

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Luongo's always been pretty good in the playoffs if you ask me, the games where he's struggled have always been games where his team is basically beaten already, physically and injury-wise they've been hobbled and on their last legs. If Luongo wasn't able to single-handedly hold those teams in those games, it wasn't all on him or shouldn't have been, his reputation is more a thing some fanbases like to hold over his team than anything that's real or legitimate. I don't think any goalie could have taken those teams further than Luongo did. If he ends up having more success, it'll be because there's a team in front of him that can give him the support he needs to do the job, not because of any supposed different attitude.

Seems like his teammates and other players are saying "oh, yeah that's Lui" where the media are saying, "where did this guy come from?" So to me, that indicates that the media built this myth that's wrong, and the direct contact with Luongo via twitter and him no longer giving so much of a damn with the media is just revealing the guy that people who know him have known all along.

That is the saddest, back door case of excuse mongering I've seen on these boards for a long time. I hope you were chuckling as you typed that!

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I don't get it...Did I miss a memo or something? I mean all I see when I look at him is he is talking the same way lol. A Class Act!

02-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post

That is the saddest, back door case of excuse mongering I've seen on these boards for a long time. I hope you were chuckling as you typed that!
Statistically, teams tend to lose games when a bunch of key players are out with injuries. I don't see what is so outrageous about that. It's a fact.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
This isn't just on the Canucks board for a reason. I want to hear what the general populace here - which is probably more negative towards Roberto Luongo's than Canuck fans (at least now) - thinks of how he would do in the playoffs, now that he's taking things less seriously, even joking about his situation on twitter and so on.

After all, true or not, a lot of posters here think Luongo, when it comes right down to it, is a choker who is too likely to give in a bad goal or even get blown out when it comes to the big games.

He's certainly played a lot more games early on in the regular season now and has much better stats than most would have expected. He also seems a lot more relaxed on the ice and in interviews. But would that translate over to how he performs in the playoffs?

And if it would translate over, does that mean his trade value has gone up considerably?

Basically, if you're a HF Boards poster who has been negative about him before his recent run - are you still?

His attitude has never changed. He's always been self deprecating, full of levity and very easy going.

Just because people have finally started looking at his twitter, doesn't mean he's changed his attitude.

I think it just goes to show how naive everyone is to how player's personalities and what the true story is.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote